Toner

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you use toner? Better to use it once a day or twice a day? I've heard different things about it... and sometimes I feel like twice a day is too harsh for my skin. Or should I find a more moisturizing toner? I have combo skin (really oily nose, but drier cheeks).

Alcohol free toners are best! People think that if they use alcohol on their skin that it will keep them from getting pimples. In reality, skin reacts to the dryness of alchol by producing more oil! I'd say that the less you clean and mess with your skin, the better! Facial skin is extremely delicate! I vote for toner once a day at night so that you do not go to bed with makeup on! Remember also to change your pillow cases frequently to help keep your skin clean.

I love to sleep on my side!!

Originally Posted by alittleweirdo Do you use toner? Better to use it once a day or twice a day? I've heard different things about it... and sometimes I feel like twice a day is too harsh for my skin. Or should I find a more moisturizing toner? I have combo skin (really oily nose, but drier cheeks). There a recipe here under skincare for a greentea toner you can make at home that I really like..I use it everday with no ill affects..This is the only toner I'd do that w/though

Welcome! To MakeupTalk

Originally Posted by beautygirl

Hi, I'm new here- I would suggest you only use the toner once a day if it dries out your skin. You also want to make sure your toner doesn't have alcohol in it- it's way too drying and it strips your skins of the good moisture that it needs. It does get rid of the oil, but it gets rid of too much, and then your skin freaks out and starts producing more oil- so it kind of defeats the purpose. I've been using this toner called physicians choice phase 2 smoothing toner for comination skin and it doesn't dry out my skin. What I suggest you do is go to the skinstore.com website, which is where I get all my products (some are pretty pricey, but they do have some normal priced stuff as well). It's great because you can search for products according to brand or skin type and stuff like that. Hope that helps.

WELCOME!
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by beautygirl Hi, I'm new here- I would suggest you only use the toner once a day if it dries out your skin. You also want to make sure your toner doesn't have alcohol in it- it's way too drying and it strips your skins of the good moisture that it needs. It does get rid of the oil, but it gets rid of too much, and then your skin freaks out and starts producing more oil- so it kind of defeats the purpose. I've been using this toner called physicians choice phase 2 smoothing toner for comination skin and it doesn't dry out my skin. What I suggest you do is go to the skinstore.com website, which is where I get all my products (some are pretty pricey, but they do have some normal priced stuff as well). It's great because you can search for products according to brand or skin type and stuff like that. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by shoediva WELCOME!
icon_biggrin.gif
Hey!I'm joining the welcome wagon. Nice to have you here, beautygirl!

mutbanner340.gif

Thanks for the info
smile.gif
I haven't heard of that website before, so I'll definitely check it out.

and I hope you're enjoying MuT so far! There are lots of great people posting on here
smile.gif

Toner is also used to clean the skin after you remove your makeup. Witch Hazel and Aloe work nicely for that!

Originally Posted by orangeblossom10 I think using toner is a matter of skin type. I am very oily acne prone and found that using a low ph toner after every wash is essentially in order to restore my skin acid mantle. Every time you wash, the skin's ph is raised by the soap/cleanser, if the skin ph is not lowered immediately after washing, it remains a breeding ground for the acne bacteria for those of us who are acne prone. I actually purchase ph strips to test toners before i would buy. I found that even though some toners marketed as "ph balanced" or "low ph" there were really not. The best ph level for a toner is between 3.5 - 4.5 ph in order to restore the acid mantle and provide an environment that the acne bacteria cannot survive. People who are not acne prone probably don't need toners, but in my opinion, oily/acne folks NEED a toner.

This is very helpful, thanks. You really know your stuff!
newcoolstuff.gif

Latest posts

Back