Quantcast

Trying a diet to save money

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

EdithS2

MUT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been on a No Buy for so long, not buying any beauty products at all, but I've developed another area of overspending. I love ordering Door Dash delivery! I love it so much, but it's way too expensive. My favorites are big breakfasts, and Red Lobster! I love fried seafood. I don't like cooking, and when I go to the grocery store, I'll buy lots of junk foods, like chips, ice cream, and then I will have a big bill and still not enough to eat for the week. I also love getting fast food, but it seems like the price has gone way up on it.

The diet I am trying right now is from YouTube, copied from the video Dear Food Diary from HRH Collection (January 4, 2018). This YouTuber sticks to a diet of Lean Cuisine meals, salads, and low cal snacks to control weight. I don't care about my weight (though I am overweight) - I want (need) to control food spending without doing a lot of planning and cooking. I got the following food haul from Target last night:

Lean Cuisine Chicken Parmesan $2.69
Lean Cuisine Turkey Dinner - 3 at $2.69 each
Lean Cuisine Lasagna $2.29
Lean Cuisine Swedish Meatballs $2.29
Lean Cuisine Pizza - 2 at $2.69 each
Lean Cuisine Enchilada Suiza $2.29
$23.01 for nine dinners, less than I would pay for one Door Dash dinner.

Also purchased -
Ranch dressing $2.19
Salad greens $3.29
Fiber One brownies $3.19
Outshine Frozen Lemon Bars $3.99
100 Calorie Orville Smart Pop $3.59

Total $39.26 for everything! For me, that is good.

Pros so far: It was so simple to shop for this grocery haul, and I feel pleased with the value for money. I don't feel guilt that I spent too much. I just began the diet last night, and I had the lasagna dinner. It was nice and hot and comforting.

Cons so far: I usually will go out with my brother and get fast food or takeout, or I will order Door Dash for us. I always pay for him and me. He looked disappointed when I told him I was not doing that last night. I felt bad about that, and wanted to go for Taco Bell, but I can't really afford to eat out this week. The lasagna was good, but I did not like the taste of the sauce so much, and it gave me a bit of heartburn.

I want this to work so, so badly. I need it to work. I need to be spending $2.29 per meal, not $20.00 per meal. The thing about this vlogger, Alex, is that she makes eating Lean Cuisines for dinner look like fun. One thing she does is treat herself to a really nice German drink with her Lean Cuisine, called Gerolsteiner Sparkling Apple Mineral Water. This drink was very appealing to me, so I ordered some from a specialty shop called Parthenon Foods - it is $3.99 apart from shipping. I haven't received it yet, cannot wait to try it.

Hope this works as I just cannot keep up my overeating. I am not progressing on my debt - I am just going further into debt. Just for food. At least with my beauty spending there was something to show for it! This may not be the most exemplary diet, but I like it because it's simple and easy. It has to be healthier than what I was eating before, fast food every night.

EdithS2

MUT Supporter
Reaction score
Diet experiment update:

Friday

Breakfast - Fiber One Bar - I had the chocolate chip brownie variety. Breakfast was both good and bad. I liked the taste of the bar. The chocolate drizzle was good, but something about it was hard to get down, like Nutrisystem or Lara Bars - something too rich - I think it is the whey protein. I feel the bar gave me energy though.

Lunch - I ordered Door Dash for lunch because I wanted a salad for my diet. Usually I will not ever order Door Dash for lunch on a work day, because my lunch break is only 30 minutes, plus I have to eat at 11 am so I can cover for everybody else's lunch. I'm a customer service rep and it's so busy all day with no time to eat. I think that's why I overeat on nights and weekends so much. Anyway it felt really decadent to look forward to a delivery for my lunch break. I got a BLT salad from Wawa. I thought the spring mix, fried chicken, asiago cheese, and croutons were good. The salad was way too big for my lunch break though, and I felt guilty on what I spent.

Dinner - I had the Lean Cuisine turkey dinner with stuffing and apples, and I absolutely loved it! It was so good, I was scraping every last bit from the dish! I also had a frozen lemon bar and popcorn, and was happy.

Saturday

I felt really good when I woke up.

Breakfast - Okay, I ordered Door Dash - it's just a tradition to get it when I work on Saturdays, and I get it for my father too, and I didn't want to let him down. I had an egg, chocolate chip pancake, and bacon, extra bacon. I'm mad for bacon and eggs at the moment. I felt guilty about the money, but I made Dad happy.

Lunch - Watermelon and salad mix with ranch from fridge.

Dinner - Lean Cuisine Five Cheese Pizza - did not like - crust was way chewy and hard to eat. At least I did not order Door Dash, which I usually would on Saturday night!

EdithS2

MUT Supporter
Reaction score
Haha, I was very bad today! I woke up and felt stressed. I had a lot to do at church. My room was a mess. I'm sad about tomorrow being Monday. I ordered iHop - eggs, bacon, hash browns, and Swedish pancakes. I got everything done for church, and after church, because it is my brother's birthday, I offered to order him anything he wanted from Door Dash. He asked for Sonnys BBQ ribs and chicken, so I got the same dinner for myself as well. Chicken, ribs, beans, cole slaw, garlic toast. The ribs were wonderful, charred and fatty. After the meal I felt wonderful and had a nap. I don't care about the calories, but I spent an awful lot of money. I could get that beautiful Sakara meal plan on the weekends for what I am spending. I was up most of the night last night researching food, trying to figure it all out. I wish I liked the Nutrisystem food, maybe will try Wonderslim. I did try Sakara once, it is very costly, but so is what I am doing now, and it's really great, and they send you beauty samples sometimes.

EdithS2

MUT Supporter
Reaction score
Update: This diet was okay. The Gerolsteiner Apple Water was so good! The Lean Cuisines and Fiber Ones were okay, but I think I was too hungry from the diet and then spent a fortune ordering iHop and Sonny's BBQ on the weekend. I'm going to quit this and try some other plans.

PS: not giving diet advice - you would not want advice from me, lol. Actually, I'm interested in spending and finance more than diet. I used to have out of control beauty spending. I have controlled it through work I did on this forum, and now have transferred my overspending to food. Controlling food spending seems even harder than controlling beauty spending. 😧

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've been on a No Buy for so long, not buying any beauty products at all, but I've developed another area of overspending. I love ordering Door Dash delivery! I love it so much, but it's way too expensive. My favorites are big breakfasts, and Red Lobster! I love fried seafood. I don't like cooking, and when I go to the grocery store, I'll buy lots of junk foods, like chips, ice cream, and then I will have a big bill and still not enough to eat for the week. I also love getting fast food, but it seems like the price has gone way up on it.

The diet I am trying right now is from YouTube, copied from the video Dear Food Diary from HRH Collection (January 4, 2018). This YouTuber sticks to a diet of Lean Cuisine meals, salads, and low cal snacks to control weight. I don't care about my weight (though I am overweight) - I want (need) to control food spending without doing a lot of planning and cooking. I got the following food haul from Target last night:

Lean Cuisine Chicken Parmesan $2.69
Lean Cuisine Turkey Dinner - 3 at $2.69 each
Lean Cuisine Lasagna $2.29
Lean Cuisine Swedish Meatballs $2.29
Lean Cuisine Pizza - 2 at $2.69 each
Lean Cuisine Enchilada Suiza $2.29
$23.01 for nine dinners, less than I would pay for one Door Dash dinner.

Also purchased -
Ranch dressing $2.19
Salad greens $3.29
Fiber One brownies $3.19
Outshine Frozen Lemon Bars $3.99
100 Calorie Orville Smart Pop $3.59

Total $39.26 for everything! For me, that is good.

Pros so far: It was so simple to shop for this grocery haul, and I feel pleased with the value for money. I don't feel guilt that I spent too much. I just began the diet last night, and I had the lasagna dinner. It was nice and hot and comforting.

Cons so far: I usually will go out with my brother and get fast food or takeout, or I will order Door Dash for us. I always pay for him and me. He looked disappointed when I told him I was not doing that last night. I felt bad about that, and wanted to go for Taco Bell, but I can't really afford to eat out this week. The lasagna was good, but I did not like the taste of the sauce so much, and it gave me a bit of heartburn.

I want this to work so, so badly. I need it to work. I need to be spending $2.29 per meal, not $20.00 per meal. The thing about this vlogger, Alex, is that she makes eating Lean Cuisines for dinner look like fun. One thing she does is treat herself to a really nice German drink with her Lean Cuisine, called Gerolsteiner Sparkling Apple Mineral Water. This drink was very appealing to me, so I ordered some from a specialty shop called Parthenon Foods - it is $3.99 apart from shipping. I haven't received it yet, cannot wait to try it.

Hope this works as I just cannot keep up my overeating. I am not progressing on my debt - I am just going further into debt. Just for food. At least with my beauty spending there was something to show for it! This may not be the most exemplary diet, but I like it because it's simple and easy. It has to be healthier than what I was eating before, fast food every night.

Oh my god! I was just looking for this!

Latest posts