Using eyeshadow as an eyeliner

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a question, how do you use a powder eyeshadow as an eyeliner? I've tried it with a few different shadows and brushes and I can only get the slightest hint of color, I can't get a dark line like I see other girls do. I've even tried an angle brush like I see on TV. I imagine it's either my brush or my shadow, so what do you girls do when you use e/s as a liner? Thanks!

It helps to use the shadow wet as a liner. It makes the color much more vibrant. I only use loose shadows as liners and what I do is mix a bit of powder and water into a sort of paste in the lid of the shadow and then I apply. It looks a lot brighter that way.

It is probably the e/s. Try a dark, well-pigmented one like Black Tied, like Charms recommended. Stila's e/s are good too- very well pigmented.

Visine works very well i put a drop in my hand then get my brush put the tip in the visine then swirl it in the shadow.

recently i got too faced's liquif-eye that turns shadows into smearproof water resistant liners i have to say it works very well.

P35210_hero.jpg

Quote:
Liquif-Eye
Magically transform your favorite eye shadow into a waterproof, smudge-proof liquid liner with this unique, clear liquid and built-in felt tip precision eyeliner brush. Imagine, a warehouse full of different eyeliner colors all in one little bottle! All those forgotten shadows at the bottom of your make-up drawer will be given "new life" as gorgeous new liners, and your favorite shadows will become your "only in my wildest fantasies, I can't live without" lid liners!

I usually wet my shadows for eyelining..also I find that flat brush works so well, you can really get close to the lash line without looking like a raccoon!..

Angela, I never tried visine to wet the shadow, I must give it a go - thanks,

Where all can u get Too Faced stuff? Anywhere thats not on the net carry them?

I get Too Faced products from Nordstroms.

Originally Posted by KMEFH Where all can u get Too Faced stuff? Anywhere thats not on the net carry them?

When I use shadow as an e/l I use a few things that all work just great for me. I use MAC Mixing medium, Visine, Smashbox converter, or water. With either product, I wet my brush and then load the wet brush with e/s and use it that way. If using loose shadow, I usually put a bit of the shadow in the lid and work from there so as not to wet all the product. If using pressed powder shadow, I work from a small section of the shadow so as not to wet the whole pan. With Stila shadows, I'm not as careful cuz it seems to have no effect on the shadow either way.

I get lasting color when using everything EXCEPT the water. Water works well, but I find that the color doesnt remain as vibrant or last quite as long when I use that as opposed to the other products.

Originally Posted by girl_geek I have a question, how do you use a powder eyeshadow as an eyeliner? I've tried it with a few different shadows and brushes and I can only get the slightest hint of color, I can't get a dark line like I see other girls do. I've even tried an angle brush like I see on TV. I imagine it's either my brush or my shadow, so what do you girls do when you use e/s as a liner? Thanks!

Angela, TF liquif-eye sounds nice. I am going to give that a try since I am really lazy about liquid liner
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by Anya1976 Visine works very well i put a drop in my hand then get my brush put the tip in the visine then swirl it in the shadow.
recently i got too faced's liquif-eye that turns shadows into smearproof water resistant liners i have to say it works very well.

P35210_hero.jpg

Thanks for the advice girls! My e/s are pigmented enough to get the color I want on my lids, but when I think about it, they probably aren't pigmented enough to use as a liner ... I was just wondering if there was some sort of magic trick to it
wink.gif

Originally Posted by K*O* I usually wet my shadows for eyelining..also I find that flat brush works so well, you can really get close to the lash line without looking like a raccoon!..Angela, I never tried visine to wet the shadow, I must give it a go - thanks,

I like using the visine it seems to hold better to the lid than just water.

Originally Posted by lilla Angela, TF liquif-eye sounds nice. I am going to give that a try since I am really lazy about liquid liner
icon_redface.gif
i have been using it quite a bit and i do like it.

Originally Posted by wykdchic i have liquifeye - and it tends to pick up what ever color you are using and it stains the applicator. If you use a good brush, MAC #209 -it will p/u the shadow better.
Also use a good base. HTH

a stained applicator doesn't bother me as long as i make sure to wipe off the rest of the shadow b4 i redip. i just dont want to put my brushes in the stuff i'm happy using the felt tipped applicator that comes with the bottle it works rather well.

Originally Posted by girl_geek Thanks for the advice girls! My e/s are pigmented enough to get the color I want on my lids, but when I think about it, they probably aren't pigmented enough to use as a liner ... I was just wondering if there was some sort of magic trick to it
wink.gif
I always use a taklon brush(I like the angled ones) and I always wet it when I'm lining with shadows. Great application and stays all day.

darn! i forgot to check out the piquif-eye stuff at sephora today
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Liz darn! i forgot to check out the piquif-eye stuff at sephora today
frown.gif
You know what that means don't you.... that you have to go back again!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif

hehehe!! i might be going within the next few weeks. (that mall is like an hour away
frown.gif
) my bf needs to go up there to check out some computer places with his friend, so they're gonna be dropping me off at the mall. lol!

I don't know if it is just me who has heard of another way of doing it, but some of my friends have a way not mentioned here. They draw the line where they want the e/s to go with a light brown eyeline or a nude lip liner, and then press the e/s over the top. I haven't tried it yet, but I will be doing tomorrow.. I'm interested too see if this works!

Originally Posted by Liz darn! i forgot to check out the piquif-eye stuff at sephora today
frown.gif
i checkedmy club shadow that i used it with the other day and it doesn't have any strange texture or anything not even like i get sometimes from visine i'm impressed i love my liquif-eye

Latest posts

Back