Veal Sheds

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been travelling to Wisconsin for over 10 years and never noticed something today. Today while roaming around here, I noted that alot of rural houses have these "veal sheds" out front of their houses and out back to keep the little calves from growing etc.

I am not sure how I feel about this. While I am NOT a vegetarian, it seems tough to deal with.

How do you ALL feel about it?

cattle-veal-17.jpg

I think it's absolutely horrible. When I heard about this, I swore I wouldn't eat veal anymore. And I haven't. I mean, I'm no vegetarian, but that's just so cruel.

OMG, that's horrible. I'm not a vegetarian either but seeing something like that would turn me off Veal for life. I've never tried it before & don't think i will now after that

Gosh, I'd never heard of that or seen any of the veal sheds. It sure made me sad.

I grew up on a farm and we took calves (my dad would pick out certain calves and put them in the pens and feed them feed to make them really tender) to the locker plant to get slaughtered and brought that good meat home to eat. I have never had veal before but have heard it is really good eating.

OMG ~ I can't bear to look... ! so sad...
icon_sad.gif
(Coming from someone who lives with 2 hunters LOL) I'm a big animal lover... I'm not a vegetarian - but I think I've only had veal like once (I actually thought it was sheep/lamb up until a few years ago!
icon_redface.gif
) I guess if you're going to a supermarket and buying meat for dinner it's a little different than seeing it get to where it is!
icon_eek.gif
Knowing me.. I'd probably go let them all go and find some way to keep them all!
icon_redface.gif

if i could live on one meat the rest of my life, it'd be veal. i love easter because that's when my mom cooks it (has no time other days).

i feel badly about that, but i mean, they're raised to be eaten, like naturally said.

lol. Janelle, I thought Veal was like lamb or something. I didn't know it was beef until last year.

I've never had it though. I have kind of the same thought as Naturally. They're raised for food. It happens with chickens too. (I think. I don't know everything about meat processing or farms or whatever)

We have veal sheds here around me too. I don't like to look at them or really think about it when I have to go by them. It definitely sounds cruel, but I think we think of them as being babies still. You don't hear anybody going past a heard of beef cows saying poor cows. Janelle I as well live with two hunters, do you eat venison? I do every once in a while, not crazy about it.

Originally Posted by tylda1969 We have veal sheds here around me too. I don't like to look at them or really think about it when I have to go by them. It definitely sounds cruel, but I think we think of them as being babies still. You don't hear anybody going past a heard of beef cows saying poor cows. Janelle I as well live with two hunters, do you eat venison? I do every once in a while, not crazy about it. Yeah I've had it... I'm not a big steak person (any kind - but I'll eat hamburger lol)- so I don't really eat it either... but it's good though. We have a smoker out back and my dad will sometimes smoke it - really tender & flavorful. Tastes pretty much like steak to me ... a little different - not as fatty... really lean meat.

Yeah your right it does, you just have to make sure you remove any trace of fat or your going to get a terrible gamey taste. I think I just got sick of it and would rather have a big juicy steak, though my son doesn't agree. He would eat it everynight.

Originally Posted by tylda1969 Yeah your right it does, you just have to make sure you remove any trace of fat or your going to get a terrible gamey taste. I think I just got sick of it and would rather have a big juicy steak, though my son doesn't agree. He would eat it everynight. I think they'e mastered cutting steaks! LOL We actually would TRY & find a piece of fat... make bets that they missed a piece... but we haven't won yet!
icon_rolleyes.gif
LOL

I found out over ten years ago about the way calfs(?) are raised for veal. Because of that and a few other reasons, I became a vegetarian for a while. Once I started eating any kind of flesh again, I became more conscious of how the animal is treated and fed prior to becoming my meal. I always buy free range organically raised meat that are free of any hormones and antibiotics. Same with dairy products. I always buy from a reliable company that farms their own food. Sometimes it's a pain in the ass, especially when I travel. But I always research what market or company is reputable in the natural and organic market before I go to buy from someone new. That's just me, since I have a lot of time, I'm addicted to researching everything first.(part of my OCD I guess)

Originally Posted by envymi I found out over ten years ago about the way calfs(?) are raised for veal. Because of that and a few other reasons, I became a vegetarian for a while. Once I started eating any kind of flesh again, I became more conscious of how the animal is treated and fed prior to becoming my meal. I always buy free range organically raised meat that are free of any hormones and antibiotics. Same with dairy products. I always buy from a reliable company that farms their own food. Sometimes it's a pain in the ass, especially when I travel. But I always research what market or company is reputable in the natural and organic market before I go to buy from someone new. That's just me, since I have a lot of time, I'm addicted to researching everything first.(part of my OCD I guess) thats good though! Its nice to know what you're getting... I wish I did that!
icon_rolleyes.gif

reporting in from farmland, indiana here. i have personally seen way worse. at least those sheds are outside where they can get fresh air and sunlight. hopefully they arent outside in the winter. theyre usually totally enclosed and in the dark in small stalls in barns.

i was a vegetarian at one time and i dont find it practical to be one anymore. that just my decision. this sounds horrible, but i just prefer not to think about it.

if you saw where eggs came from, you wouldnt want to eat those either. two or three chickens are crammed into each cage in a double row of coops. the poop from the top row falls down on the lower row. i dont need to tell you how germy bird poop is. theyre squished in and never get to go outside or run around or even have enough room to sit down and just get comfy.

Latest posts

Back