warm or cool...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben

Reaction score
how can you tell?

any way you can be both?

i posted a pic of myself so if someone could tell me that would be grreat : 0 )

you're so cute, ben!

ditto to what charmaine said, but for some reason, at MAC, they gave me a cool concealer.

you can also tell by how you tan/burn. if you burn, you're cool. if you tan, you're warm. not sure how true that is, but i read it somewhere.

i THINK it's:

C: yellow undertones (usually like asian girls)

NC: is beige undertones

NW:pink undertones

W: pink/red undertones

Originally Posted by Liz i THINK it's:C: yellow undertones (usually like asian girls)

NC: is beige undertones

NW:pink undertones

W: pink/red undertones

But with L'Oreal's True Match line, their cool mu is pink-toned and their warm mu is yellow-toned! I used to think I was cool-toned but their warm mu looked like a much better match -- but none of them looked like they matched my skin perfectly so I haven't bought any.
I'm not sure about skin tones, but when it comes to colors anything blue or with blue undertones is considered cool (such as some shades of purples and greens) and anything with a red or orange undertone is warm. Some colors can be both, for example a bright red is considered more cool than a warm wine red, and very pale pink is often considered a cool color. When it comes to metal, silver is cool and gold is warm. They say a good indication of your skin tone is what colors you look best in -- if you look better in silver jewelry and cool colors your skin is cool; if you look best in warm colors it's warm.

I personally have never been able to figure out whether I'm warm or cool toned. I do have very pale skin and *usually* look best in cool colors but there are exceptions (e.g. I look good in pale yellow but pale pink totally washes me out). My skin turns pink easily when you touch it or when I get hot, but the rest of the time it seems to have yellow undertones. I can also get a slight tan if I spend enough time outside. Maybe I am just neutral? lol

you could be a weirdo like me. my SKIN is pale but warm my eyes are green~usually warm my hair is a medium brown but an ashy brown~ COOL~and looks better white blond not yellow blond~warm. and as for jewelry silver looks bette ron me than gold except for eyeshadow then gold looks better than silver. facinating huh

Originally Posted by Trisha There are no rules in MU!
claps.gif
claps.gif
claps.gif
claps.gif
claps.gif
claps.gif

Originally Posted by Trisha I dont go by this cool/warm nonsense for what MU to wear, wear what you feel comfortable in.
I hate that women can be pigeonholed by such things as warm and cool, and dont get me started on the Spring Summer Autumn Winter nonsense! x

There are no rules in MU!

I totally agree with you Trisha!

Great point, Trisha!! ITA!
claps.gif

I always had it backwards - and thought I was warm... actually - I'm more on the cool side I think... I have more yellow/beige undertones than pink... and I like white gold over yellow
wink.gif
lol

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Great point, Trisha!! ITA!
claps.gif

I always had it backwards - and thought I was warm... actually - I'm more on the cool side I think... I have more yellow/beige undertones than pink... and I like white gold over yellow
wink.gif
lol

lol. i'm the one who might be backwards. so don't take my advice aLL of the time. lol

I think my skin is cool toned because if I buy the wrong shade of foundation I look too pink. As for what colors look better on what skin toes, don't worry too much. Wear what makes you feel fabulous!!

Originally Posted by ben how can you tell?
any way you can be both?

I have learned from MuT that you can make anything work!

No offense to anyone, but I remember back in the day....BLUE EYESHADOW was considered a "street walker" color or totally 80's. Well I have seen several FOTD's with blue and I think yall looked great! MuT has taught me that mu is an art, a skill....a form of self expression. It can tell a persons mood and even make it. So, imho whatever you feel you want to wear....wear it!! WORK IT!

Melissa

To determine your undertone, take a look at the underside of your forearm:

If your veins look more blue, then you most likely have pinkish undertones. If your veins look more green, then you have more yellow or golden undertones.

any way you can be both?

yep thats what helped me determine my undertone, my veins look more green than blue! and i like silver and think it suits me better than gold.......

Originally Posted by ben

how can you tell?
any way you can be both?

Lookin' great in that pic BEN!

i think a lot of makeup are pretty much universal to warm or cool faces. i'm definitely warm (NC35) but i don't follow the colorss guidelines

makeup is fun when you get to experiment

you'll be the judge what u look best in, correct?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#000000><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>
logo.gif
</TD><TD class=text align=right>Close Window</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=text><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=text vAlign=top width=182>GUIDE TO M·A·C SHADE NAMES FOR FOUNDATION, CONCEALER, AND POWDER</TD><TD class=text vAlign=top width=*>M·A·C shade designations for Foundations, Concealer, and Powder are a combination of a letter and a number.

The letter represents the colour family of the product. The number denotes the lightness or darkness. The higher the number, the deeper the colour.

The first step in selecting your shade is to simply look at your skin, without makeup, in daylight.

Decide which of the following descriptions best represents your skin colour:

If your skin looks more Golden Beige, you match with Neutral Cool or NC shades.

If your skin looks more Pink Beige, you match with Neutral Warm or NW shades.

Most skin tones will fall into these two classifications. However, if you are still not certain which classification is right for you, consider the undertones in your skin.

To determine your undertone, take a look at the underside of your forearm:

If your veins look more blue, then you most likely have pinkish undertones. If your veins look more green, then you have more yellow or golden undertones.

If you have a significant undertone to your skin, you may choose to play it up or play it down by trying a shade that includes or excludes your undertones:

If your skin looks more Yellow-Golden Olive, you will find those undertones in the Cool or C shades.

If your skin looks more Beige, you will match with the Neutral or N shades.

If your skin looks more Pink, you will find those pink undertones in the Warm or W shades.

Please bear in mind, finding the "right" colour is something very subjective. Most people will wear a variety of different shades throughout the year because the colour of skin changes according to the lighting, the seasons, and physical well being. We encourage you to visit a store near you, or if you prefer, to email a M·A·C Artist for a personal consultation.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- BEGIN COREMETRICS --><SCRIPT language=javascript1.1 src="/js/coremetrics/v40/eluminate.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=javascript1.1 src="/js/coremetrics/v40/cmdatatagutils.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=javascript1.1 type=text/javascript><!--cmSetProduction();cmCreatePageviewTag("Popup: Face: Shade Guide", null, "CATEGORY15107", null);//--></SCRIPT><!-- END COREMETRICS --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

any way you can be both?

Latest posts

Back