Wedding Cakes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for where that tradition began....who knows!

I know it is symbolic to feed each other a piece of cake, but smashing it each others faces.....I think this came to be, by accident.

From around the web....

"Some newly minted husband who was harboring secret hostility toward his new wife thought it would be "funny" to embarrass her in front of all of her loved ones and her new in-laws after she had spent a lifetime dreaming of a perfect wedding and months planning it. It caught on with other passive-aggressive brides and grooms. Then it caught on with others who thought that their guests would be amused by their antics (look how quirky and outrageous we are, making a food fight part of a formal occasion! Look how we don't take ourselves seriously!) The rest is history."

"Don't know but I think it is stupid. How could a groom smash cake on his bride's face after all it took for her to look radiant on her wedding day. I'm sure the tradition was meant for both to take a piece and feed each other as a symbol of how they will take care of each other. But some jack*** thought it would be funnier to make a fool of his wife on their wedding day."

Really who knows where it came from!

ours was done in our wedding colors, pink and orange with a white background. It has a big pink bow on the top made out of icing (which ended up melting on us before we cut the cake, it was 92 out that day i guess that was to be expected.) I would have loved to have a big cake but it would have been stupid and silly for us to have one, so we had two tiers, which was way more than enough for our small beach wedding. Seeing as how it was a small wedding and a destination wedding, it's not like anyone would have ate it or been able to take it home, so we had a small one and ate on it for a week and still had to leave a big slice behind. It was however the best cake i ever ate in my life. It was chocolate cake, with buttercream icing and in the middle of the cake it had chocolate mousse in it.

Hopefully, mine shows in a photo below: it was lemon pound cake with buttercream frosting and lemon curd filling...mmmm!

They were white chocolate, thanks for asking! And wicked yummy, as was the rest of the cake. Sorta fitting as I grew up on an island (I'm a Mainer), we got married right on the wharf.

Originally Posted by 1hourcommute /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They were white chocolate, thanks for asking! And wicked yummy, as was the rest of the cake. Sorta fitting as I grew up on an island (I'm a Mainer), we got married right on the wharf.
The white theme is really lovely. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The guy and I both love pumkin type desserts and otherwise don't really eat dessert ever otherwise, and our friends like rum cakes so is it possible to combine the two and have a pumkin rum cake? I gotta try to make this now lol!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Amber, I just googled "pumpkin rum cake" and got a ton of hits. Maybe one of the recipes will intrigue you.

Oh typo in last post I meant my friends like rum lol!!

Yes I did find a ton but most just had a rum icing, not enough booze haha!

A friend made one where he put a layer of rum soaked pineapples in the middle and it was the best cake I have ever tasted!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

we are doing 3 cupcake stands, with the middle stand having a cake on the top for us to cut. Here is the inspiration pic for the cupcake stands and a pic of all of the cupcake flavors we are getting!

We had a 3 tier cake and then cupcakes as well.  We also had a grooms cake.  I love the look of the 3 tier cakes but also think that cupcakes are nice because they are so portable.

Back