Wedding Cakes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love the look of a high, multiple tier wedding cake.

A very large one with lots of decor. I know they are crazy expensive and not all tiers are always real cake, but they look fabulous! I want a huge cake on my wedding day.

What kind of cakes did you have?

3 Tier? 5 Tier?

Did the guests eat off of a sheet cake from the back when it came time to serving?

What flavor cake did you have?

Chocolate? Vanilla? Red Velvet?

Our wedding cake was not edible - strictly for esthetics.

My husband was a cook and knew how to decorate cakes, so he created a cake out of styrofoam.

Then he covered it with thick, white icing.

Finally, he decorated it with small, silk, purple and blue flowers - no center piece, thankfully.

Our desert was a fabulous, creamy fruit filled strudel.

Vicky is that your cake with the sparkling snowflakes!

It is so pretty, were all three tiers edible?

Yup! It's a snowflake cake, with edible sprinkles!! And it was edible on all three layers. Each layers what a different flavor... not like I got to eat any of it! 

Originally Posted by vixie13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yup! It's a snowflake cake, with edible sprinkles!! And it was edible on all three layers. Each layers what a different flavor... not like I got to eat any of it! 
3 Flavours!

What kinds?

I think we had a layer of amaretto, a layer of devils food, and a layer of yellow cake. 

Have you ever seen that tv show called Cake Boss?

They make incredible over the top, out of this world cakes! Really amazing stuff....

The Royal Wedding cake of the late Lady "Princess" Diana.

A 5-tier white cake.

I wonder what the cake will look like that Prince William has at his ceremony to Kate Middleton...

What kind of cake are you going to have at your wedding?

• Vanilla sponge
  • Lemon sponge
  • Orange sponge
  • Rich dark chocolate cake
  • Vanilla Cake
  • Lemon blackberry cake
  • Swirled marble cake and sour cream fudge icing
  • Raspberries and cream cake
  • Lemon coconut cupcake tower  
  • Orange mocha cake
  • Hazelnut praline and apricot cake
  • Italian rum cream and fruit cake
  • Marzipan, orange and chocolate cake
  • Strawberries and Cream
  • Carrot
  • Classic chocolate mousse
  • Tiramisu
  • Cappuccino torte
  • Lemon summer berry
  • White chocolate mousse
  • Chocolate and orange
  • Red velvet
  • Devils food cake
  • Peaches and cream
  • Vanilla rum torte
  • Chocolate hazelnut torte
  • Strawberry grand mariner cake
  • Mango
  • Almond cream
  • Lemon poppy seed cake 
  • Black forest cake
  • German chocolate cake
  • Ameretto Cake

All i'd really want from past experience (not as a bride, only as a guest ! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ), is something really light. So the so traditional cake made of puff pastry, no thanks. Probably a sort of spongy cake with tons of icing.

One of my friends had the idea of making different individual cakes the guests would choose, it was a great idea as the meal was a bit heavy.

I've read that cupcakes are really hot right now.

And the perfect size, after a wedding meal.

Has anyone heard of Pavlova?

Layers of baked meringe, fruit and liqueur, and whipped cream - decadent and yummy!

I'd love this for a wedding desert!

I don't like liqueur but apart from that, it sounds yummy !

I think cupcakes are a great idea, you can make so many different frostings !

Dragonfly that sounds delicious!

I had not thought about the fact the dessert might be too heavy after a meal and not get eaten. For this reason cupcakes would seem more appropraite.

A 3 tier cupcake display in different flavours and icings would look very cool.

I like the idea of individual cakes as well!

Our first wedding, we didn't have a wedding cake.  Our second wedding (to the same man)  we had a really light Chinese cake.  Its a super super light white sponge cake with fruit cocktail and whipped cream in the middle and iced with the same whipped cream icing.  It is super light and not too sweet.  My sister and I had the same cakes except hers was 3 tiers.

I was just talking about wedding cakes with a friend on mine at work. I told her that I feel so bad that I never end up eating the cake because they serve it so late during the reception after everyone has eaten dinner, desert and is already on the dance floor. Hardly anyone pays attention to the cake!  She told me that what a lot of people do is have just the bottom layer as real cake and then the top layers are styrofoam and just decorated to match. Cuts down on cost AND you can have the sky-high cake you want. I'd probably just get additional sheet cakes for guests.

I noticed that some brides and grooms like to smash wedding cake into each other's faces.

Personally, I think this is a terrible custom - and would start the wheels in motion for a quick annulment, after I spent so much time and money to look fabulous.

I was curious where this silly custom began - any ideas?

I've seen the cake smashing too!

My SO likes that idea, thinks it's fun, I however said it may be cute, if you got icing on my nose only!! HA! Theres no way I'd let my hair and makeup get ruined with cake after all that time and money!

Latest posts

Back