We've got power!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! It's been a few days since I've been able to post. Early last Sunday morning my husband and I lost power because of Hurricane Frances and we finally got it back late last night. Almost four whole days! Whew!

Anyhow, there have been some positive learning exeriences with no power: cold showers feel really good (after the first brutal minute) and light by candlesticks is simply beautiful. Thank you to all those in my family who bought me candlesticks for my wedding, when you had no clue what to buy us! I also had to clean out the entire fridge and freezer of everything and toss it out. Now I have a fresh, clean start and less clutter to go bad.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I also found a new place to do my makeup. My bathroom doesn't give the right kind of lighting but I never really realized how much a difference good lighting would make. While doing my makeup in the spare bedroom, I had perfect indirect window lighting and I could see all my colors for what they REALLY look like on my face. Now that's a good learning experience!

Now I hope Hurricane Ivan doesn't go messin' with my power...

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Hi everyone! It's been a few days since I've been able to post. Early last Sunday morning my husband and I lost power because of Hurricane Frances and we finally got it back late last night. Almost four whole days! Whew!
Anyhow, there have been some positive learning exeriences with no power: cold showers feel really good (after the first brutal minute) and light by candlesticks is simply beautiful. Thank you to all those in my family who bought me candlesticks for my wedding, when you had no clue what to buy us! I also had to clean out the entire fridge and freezer of everything and toss it out. Now I have a fresh, clean start and less clutter to go bad.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I also found a new place to do my makeup. My bathroom doesn't give the right kind of lighting but I never really realized how much a difference good lighting would make. While doing my makeup in the spare bedroom, I had perfect indirect window lighting and I could see all my colors for what they REALLY look like on my face. Now that's a good learning experience!

4 days!! Wow...My family would have turned on eachother after the 2nd..Glad you're well though..I hope Ivan makes a turns and stays out in the ocean where it belongs.We don't need anymore rain.you can swim in our backyard as it is..And we don't have a pool..LOL

Hi Kitty, glad you are ok. Crossing my fingers that Ivan doesnt bother you!

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Hi everyone! It's been a few days since I've been able to post. Early last Sunday morning my husband and I lost power because of Hurricane Frances and we finally got it back late last night. Almost four whole days! Whew!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

icon_cheesygrin.gif

Hi Kitty, It was 3 days out for us, we lost our power early on Sunday and got it back at about 1:00 AM Thursday I think it was (kind of lose track of time at times like this). We had a lot of damage here, a lot of trees down on houses and power lines, the neighborhood my brother lives in is just a mess because of all those beautiful old Majestic Oak trees, trees that are probaby a hundred years old just snapped like match sticks. We got lucky at our house, just lost about 180ft. of privacy fence and a couple of small trees. I had to find a new place to do my makeup too LOL, thank heavens we still had water and a gas water heater, lots of people don't though and are standing in line at the YMCA to use theirs. I got pretty creative cooking on the grill, having to use up has much of the stuff in the freezer has I could, we even made brownies on the grill for the kids in the neighborhood, people in our area are fantastic and all pulled together to help eachother out. My daughter and I drove down to Burger King on Tues. to get some breakfast and there were people fighting over places in line for the drivethrew, a couple of guys almost rammed eachother, it was really sad to see people act like that. Hopefully Ivan will leave us alone, I am really worried about it though, my husband ordered a generator online last night just in case and we are going to go look for plywood to board up if it looks like we are going to get it again. You stay safe and lets hope for the best. I know all the wonderful folks here at Makeuptalk will keep us in their prayers.

I'm so sorry to hear about your neighborhood, Harleymom! Glad to hear that you survived and doing well. It sounds like your area was hit much, much harder than ours. You're so lucky to have a gas hot water heater! Were those people at the YMCA those who had well water? When I lived on a farm, we had spring water and that was drawn with a sump pump. When the power went out, so did our water supply. Not good! The people in our area were mostly very congenial with the power outage. When the grocery stores opened, people were laughing and smiling (probably thanking their lucky stars that we had access to food and that we weren't dead!). My DH wants to buy a generator, but I figure that four days without power wasn't bad enough to warrant the $$$ of a generator. We like to camp and cookout, anyhow, so a power outage is not much of a stretch!

Originally Posted by Harleymom10860 Hi Kitty, It was 3 days out for us, we lost our power early on Sunday and got it back at about 1:00 AM Thursday I think it was (kind of lose track of time at times like this). We had a lot of damage here, a lot of trees down on houses and power lines, the neighborhood my brother lives in is just a mess because of all those beautiful old Majestic Oak trees, trees that are probaby a hundred years old just snapped like match sticks. We got lucky at our house, just lost about 180ft. of privacy fence and a couple of small trees. I had to find a new place to do my makeup too LOL, thank heavens we still had water and a gas water heater, lots of people don't though and are standing in line at the YMCA to use theirs. I got pretty creative cooking on the grill, having to use up has much of the stuff in the freezer has I could, we even made brownies on the grill for the kids in the neighborhood, people in our area are fantastic and all pulled together to help eachother out. My daughter and I drove down to Burger King on Tues. to get some breakfast and there were people fighting over places in line for the drivethrew, a couple of guys almost rammed eachother, it was really sad to see people act like that. Hopefully Ivan will leave us alone, I am really worried about it though, my husband ordered a generator online last night just in case and we are going to go look for plywood to board up if it looks like we are going to get it again. You stay safe and lets hope for the best. I know all the wonderful folks here at Makeuptalk will keep us in their prayers.

Well all i can say, is I think its admirable that you were able to find something postive out of all the chaos caused by the hurricane and that it shows a real strength of character. Good Luck and i am glad you got your power back!

Glad to hear that both Kitty & HarleyMom are ok. Ye are so brave girlies
smile.gif

Hello everyone. The odds of Ivan hitting the central FL area are getting lower. I am holding on to the hope that it keeps going west before it makes its northern turn. We don't need any more wind or rain for a while.

Hi katrink! Yes, I'm hoping too that Ivan will keep to the west. So west that it blows by the Yucatan Peninsula and hits Houston! (Sorry for those in Houston, but you've been a wallflower lately in the hurricane season. Come dance with us!
tongue.gif
)

What I'm not happy about is the gas shortage around here. Right now I'd love to be in Tampa but I'm not going to waste the gas getting there.

Thanks for the kudos, candy! Maybe it just shows that I have a sense of humor...
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by katrink Hello everyone. The odds of Ivan hitting the central FL area are getting lower. I am holding on to the hope that it keeps going west before it makes its northern turn. We don't need any more wind or rain for a while.

Hey Kittyskyfish, I'm with you on the go west Ivan. I filled up with gas yesterday in Clearwater and today that same place had no gas. I hope that after this storm goes away things will get back to normal around here. Our grocery stores are even having problems getting stuff in. Oh well, we have to keep our sense of humor and spirits up so I'm going to keep thinking positive.

Originally Posted by katrink Hello everyone. The odds of Ivan hitting the central FL area are getting lower. I am holding on to the hope that it keeps going west before it makes its northern turn. We don't need any more wind or rain for a while. I couldn't agree more Kat, I'm so hurricaned out that I have nooooooooo energy at all, this has just zapped me. They had a rumor going around here the other day that they were rationing gas, you should have seen the lines, pure craziness, I can only put premium gas in my motorcycle and for some reason it's the only gas that a lot of stations don't have now, took me almost an hour to find one that had it. Here in north central Fl. where I am we are still cleaning up from Francis, one more hit and I think I will just climb in bed and stay there LOL. Take care and keep hoping that Ivan stays away.

Hey Harleymom. Come down to Pinellas, during the craziness all we could get was premium. We still don't have any milk at the corner Kash n Karry. I just heard that another tropical storm could be forming down in the caribbean. I guess we have the sign up that says hurricanes welcome.

Originally Posted by katrink Hey Harleymom. Come down to Pinellas, during the craziness all we could get was premium. We still don't have any milk at the corner Kash n Karry. I just heard that another tropical storm could be forming down in the caribbean. I guess we have the sign up that says hurricanes welcome. Oh Noooooo, someone take the sign down pleeeeeeease. I think the reason we didn't have premium was once it sold out it wasn't on the list of priorities since most people can get by on regular. Thank heavens we finally have power but when it came back on my neighbor lost the compressor in her fridge so we have been toting ice over to her.

During all of these storms we didn't lose power for more than 30 seconds. I guess we were really lucky, we had very minimal damage. I suppose living about 6 miles inland from the gulf does have its advantages. P.S. I took the sign down.

Latest posts

Back