What is a "Proper" skin care regime?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anybody else ever get totally overwhelmed with all the different types of skin care products? Use this cream for this, use that lotion for that...one for day, another for night. Well, I sure do! What I want to know is, what is a good skin care regime, and what products are just unnessecary "hype"? I'm 38, so I know it's time to start adding some steps, but I get confused on what to add and what to skip! And you CANNOT trust sales people to tell you that you don't need something! So here's what I do now... I have sensitive skin. In the morning I: cleanse with a 'basic' cleanser (just bought Ayur-Medic's Calming Cleanser), use a toner (which has a light exfoliant in it) and use a moisturizer with SPF (also just bought Ayur-Medic's Calming Cream for that.) At night, I cleanse, tone, and use a moisturizer. I'm now using the AyurMedic Calming Cream at night. Oh, also an eye cream. I also use Clinique's Total Turnaround. When I remember, I use the lightening cream for few sun spots I've developed over the last year. About twice a week, I use a (gentle) sugar-based scrub for stronger exfoliation. Now, this is what I've narrowed down to...but believe me I've got other things sitting around that I can layer on, too! Is this "proper"? I'm a missing something I should really be doing? Or am I overdoing something I don't need to do? AAAARGH! I get so confused! Oh, I forgot one more thing! I got that Avon two step "at home" glycolic peel kit. I use it once every couple of weeks (much less than they say to) because I do have sensitive skin. Any thoughts? I need help!!

Originally Posted by WearThePinkRibbon Does anybody else ever get totally overwhelmed with all the different types of skin care products? Use this cream for this, use that lotion for that...one for day, another for night. Well, I sure do! What I want to know is, what is a good skin care regime, and what products are just unnessecary "hype"? I'm 38, so I know it's time to start adding some steps, but I get confused on what to add and what to skip! And you CANNOT trust sales people to tell you that you don't need something! So here's what I do now... I have sensitive skin. In the morning I: cleanse with a 'basic' cleanser (just bought Ayur-Medic's Calming Cleanser), use a toner (which has a light exfoliant in it) and use a moisturizer with SPF (also just bought Ayur-Medic's Calming Cream for that.) At night, I cleanse, tone, and use a moisturizer. I'm now using the AyurMedic Calming Cream at night. Oh, also an eye cream. I also use Clinique's Total Turnaround. When I remember, I use the lightening cream for few sun spots I've developed over the last year. About twice a week, I use a (gentle) sugar-based scrub for stronger exfoliation. Now, this is what I've narrowed down to...but believe me I've got other things sitting around that I can layer on, too! Is this "proper"? I'm a missing something I should really be doing? Or am I overdoing something I don't need to do? AAAARGH! I get so confused! Oh, I forgot one more thing! I got that Avon two step "at home" glycolic peel kit. I use it once every couple of weeks (much less than they say to) because I do have sensitive skin. Any thoughts? I need help!! I'm so with you..You can't trust anyone at the counters for unbiased help..I know right now because of my extra sensitive skin I'm probably under doing my skin care..Don't know what I really should or shouldn't do..Extremely overwhelming if you're not in the know

I with you ladies. There are way too many products out there. My problem is also that I have no time for an in-depth morning skin care ritual. It would be nice to know what the most important steps are which I guess are cleansing and moisturizing but I will let one you experts tell us.................

I agree with the ladies above who say that a "proper" regimine is one that SUITS you. I view skincare just like I view my personal relationships: if it doesn't work, stop doing it and if it works, keep doing it. Don't be afraid to try new things because there is never a "100 % right" way but there may be a "better" way to do them.

Pick out a main concern such as preventing wrinkles or evening out pigmentation and see if your current routine helps or hinders this concern. If it does neither, then it's time to investigate.

If you have chronic problems such as acne or sensitive skin then it is time to dump the culprit product and start again. My absolute BEST advice for you is to get the straight shot from a general dematologist who has none of his/her own products to sell. Unlike a salesperson, this dermatologist has nothing to gain and lots to give.

Personally, I learned a lot of super useful information by checking out books from the library on skincare. I read one by a Yale educated dermatologist who explained things to the cell! It's worth a trip to the library. His book gave about 10 very basic and useful tips that helped me develop my own, effective skin care routine.

For peace of mind, I'd go see a dermatologist. I bet you will find it's worth it.

eebanner5.gif

I agree with the ladies above who say that a "proper" regimine is one that SUITS you.
Unlike a salesperson' date=' this dermatologist has nothing to gain and lots to give.

I agree with the first part of the comment that the best regimine is one that suits you. The absolutely basics to skincare is cleanser, tone, treat for your skin type. If you wish to address cretian issues with you skin add in one product that does that. If it is anti-wrinkle a serum or night cream is the best way to go, because as previously said the skin does most of it repairative work during the night and a night products contain more of the active ingredients you need to see an improvement in your skin. Also some anti-wrinkle products only work in their night version ie. ones with Retinol in them. If a sales person trys to tell you different they are wrong. Even though certian companies have developed what they call a photostable retinol, they to say if you are going to just add in one product it must be the night. Therefore the day versions are a waste of your money, best to use a good basic moisturizer during the day.

Now the part of the statement I disagree with is that there are some honest cosmeticians out there. Generally the ones at the drugstore are your more honest ones because they have many different lines to represent. They have knowledge about all the lines and are there to give you the best personalized consultation that they can. The quotas for sales is much lower as well is the commissions, so they are there because they love working in the cosmetic industry and helping people with there beauty needs. I know this because I work for one of the major Canadian drug store chain, Shoppers Drug Mart.

Now to say that Dermatologists have nothing to gain, is not true. The cosmetic reps go around to the Doctors offices to proved them with samples and inforamtion about there products. The Doctors are also taken on special confrences and trips to learn about certain products and are given benefits if the they recommend the products. The cosmetics and drug indrusty are the bigest money making industry there is right now. Especailly with the new expansion into Cosmecuticals which the combination of the two. They have just as much to gain as the sales person does if not more.

I agree with the ladies above who say that a "proper" regimine is one that SUITS you.
Unlike a salesperson, this dermatologist has nothing to gain and lots to give.

Originally Posted by Californian
I agree with the first part of the comment that the best regimine is one that suits you. The absolutely basics to skincare is cleanser, tone, treat for your skin type. If you wish to address cretian issues with you skin add in one product that does that. If it is anti-wrinkle a serum or night cream is the best way to go, because as previously said the skin does most of it repairative work during the night and a night products contain more of the active ingredients you need to see an improvement in your skin. Also some anti-wrinkle products only work in their night version ie. ones with Retinol in them. If a sales person trys to tell you different they are wrong. Even though certian companies have developed what they call a photostable retinol, they to say if you are going to just add in one product it must be the night. Therefore the day versions are a waste of your money, best to use a good basic moisturizer during the day.

Now the part of the statement I disagree with is that there are some honest cosmeticians out there. Generally the ones at the drugstore are your more honest ones because they have many different lines to represent. They have knowledge about all the lines and are there to give you the best personalized consultation that they can. The quotas for sales is much lower as well is the commissions, so they are there because they love working in the cosmetic industry and helping people with there beauty needs. I know this because I work for one of the major Canadian drug store chain, Shoppers Drug Mart.

Now to say that Dermatologists have nothing to gain, is not true. The cosmetic reps go around to the Doctors offices to proved them with samples and inforamtion about there products. The Doctors are also taken on special confrences and trips to learn about certain products and are given benefits if the they recommend the products. The cosmetics and drug indrusty are the bigest money making industry there is right now. Especailly with the new expansion into Cosmecuticals which the combination of the two. They have just as much to gain as the sales person does if not more.

Hi WarholsMarilyn,You've really given me something to think about in your post. I think I obviously overgeneralized. As far as dermatologists go, I think the ones that are not interested in selling products are the ones who work in the general medicine industry (the HMO type). Also, there are some great books out there on skincare that can educate you on the basics first and foremost.

I really appreciate your post because it's also true! I think there are elements of truth in both of our posts.Thanks.

eebanner4.gif

Hi Californian, I agree that there are some honest Dermatologist out there too. As for looking at books, that is a good way to educate yourself. As well so is doing a lot of research on the web. I think it is best to research and talk to professionals in the feild to get the right products for your skin. Thank you for your reply it was most valued. Cheers, WarholsMarilyn

Thanks for all your replies! I guess one of the things that really confuses me are products to use to keep things from becoming a problem...like fine lines and wrinkles. I'm blessed with basically none of that now, but if you believe all the advertisments (and a lot of sales people) then you need about ten different products to keep the fine lines and wrinkles at bay as we get older. Now of course I know that no magic pill or cream exists to stop (or remove) wrinkles, just as there is no magic pill to melt off all my extra weight! But what if I don't use anything? Are my wrinkles and lines going to be ten times deeper than if I used product a, b and/or c? (Speaking of "c", do I really need to put vitamin C serum on my face?! These are the things I think about!)

Brown Eyed Girl, That's a good suggestion, unfortunately not all cosmetic products have ingredients listed. It has not been made law yet that they have to. As a rule I would say only look at purchasing the ones that do. As well a good site to look at for that info is http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/di....asp?TYPE=MAIN You can do a search for any type of ingredient and it tells you what it is used for and if it is good for the skin or not. I find it very useful.

Originally Posted by WarholsMarilyn Brown Eyed Girl,
That's a good suggestion, unfortunately not all cosmetic products have ingredients listed. It has not been made law yet that they have to. As a rule I would say only look at purchasing the ones that do. As well a good site to look at for that info is

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/di....asp?TYPE=MAIN

You can do a search for any type of ingredient and it tells you what it is used for and if it is good for the skin or not. I find it very useful.

WarholsMarilyn wins my official
hhhot3.gif
Tip of the Day Award!
hhfirtruk.gif

Latest posts

Back