What kind of Tanning lotion do you use?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you tan? What are you using and do you like it? I am working on a base tan.

I am using Autralian Gold Cheeky Brown. It seems to be working good.

Oh this is a great POST Stace. I am a Banana boat lover! I have been a sun god for years, waterskiing, surfing etc. This is my HG of sun tan lotion. Here is my review on it

406366_b.jpg

Originally Posted by stacie0129

Do you tan? What are you using and do you like it? I am working on a base tan.I am using Autralian Gold Cheeky Brown. It seems to be working good.

My favorite tanning lotion is Clarins and Decleor. I found Decleor last summer when I was looking for a self-tanner with sunscreen and Decleor had it plus it also added a little shimmer to the skin. I have to tan slowly because I'm so fair and the best tan I ever got was with Clarins couple of years back and I got a nice deep color. I don't tan that much anymore.

Are you talking about indoor or outdoor tanning because Australian Gold is mostly indoor, right? For outdoor tanning I like Banana Boat's oil spray. For indoor, I used to use Swedish Beauty...I love the tingle lotions!

Oooh! I can answer this one! LOL I worked at 2 tanning salons, and did the Smart Tan program... so any tanning questions ~ ask away!

Ok... well first off, indoor lotions CAN be used outdoors. The same UV rays that make them work in the bed, are the same ones coming from the sun - so no need for a "special" lotion... they are interchangeble. For a good base tan, Austrailian Gold is great, as well as some of the base tanners offered by Supre. (Coco Beach is my favorite... smells like coconuts!) After you reach a base, you can intensify with a deep-tan enhansing lotion like Tatoo, Smoke, Hempz, or a Level 2 Austrailian gold. (Most lotions have a "level") Level 1 is for a base, Level 2 is next, to get you a nice brown, Level 3 to optimize your tan or get over that "plateau" where you don't seem to tan anymore, and Level 4's are usually tan Extenders and maintainers. Now every lotion has different ingredients, or different name brands, or different packaging to "catch the eye"... but some similar ingredients can help you make a decision on what lotion is right for you. An accelerator, usually is just an intensifying lotion. It will help you tan, but you probably would want something a little more powerful on hand to throw in every 2-3 times you tan. Lotions with "Bronzers" contain self-tanners that will leave you more 'bronze' than accelerators... but you have to be sure you apply evenly & always WIPE YOUR HANDS!
tongue.gif
Next, are the "tingle" lotions... which sometimes takes a little getting used to, so you don't want to try one the first time you tan. They have ingredients that dilate blood vessles, and this brings blood closer to the skin (why you get red & blotchy) and when the blood is closer to the skin, it creates more oxygen in the skin... which is great for intensifying your tan. They sting a little and 'heat up' ... and sometimes will leave you feeling hot and often itchy. These effects fade, but the color you get is sometimes worth the slight discomfort. Lotions with "cooling' ingredients tend to feel opposite of tingle lotions. They feel cool against the skin, and when tanning, keep your skin cool & chilled. Shimmer lotions have just that... shimmer. They will leave your skin glistening with sheen. Usually these work nicely if you have somewhere to go afterwards and want a little glow. Hemp Lotions (hemp oil, cannibus sativa) have (THC free lol) hemp oil to help keep the skin super moisturized & nourished, so it won't dry you out when you tan. I personally love hemp lotions... and also Hempz Moisture Lotion as a body lotion... I get great results from hemp lotions. And just some little pointers... it's better to have body lotion on than to go tan with nothing... moisturized skin tans better, and won't look like a raisin after repeated exposure. Also using some sort of lotion will help protect against burns... now this does NOT mean that you won't burn... exposure and intesity is the key factor in that.... but - having the skin protected by a layer of lotion is always a good idea than going without. Anyway.... There are a few ideas - my fingers are now tired... lol But if you ever have any other questions ... just ask!
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by MAC This is mine:
300.jpg

Yup, that's mine too -- love the smell!
For an at-home tan, I've only tried one kind which was Lancome's Flash Bronzer (was a new experience, to say the least, last summer). I liked it a lot, gave my skin a sparkle as well as a tan!

well, i dont tan indoors or outdoors, but ill add my two cents in anyways.
smile.gif

ive never been interested in being tan until a few months ago. i dont know what sparked the change, but all of a sudden im obsessed with having color this winter. its actually really hard for me to make sure that i dont get any color from the sun in the summer, so i slather myself in neutrogena dry touch spf 40.

now that i do like to have a bit of color, i think ill still use the sunblock and continue with my sun geise self tanner that smells fab and works like a charm. thanks again to janelle for suggesting it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Haloinrverse now that i do like to have a bit of color, i think ill still use the sunblock and continue with my sun geise self tanner that smells fab and works like a charm. thanks again to janelle for suggesting it.
smile.gif
Anytime Chickie! That's the best I've seen so far that works well on pretty much everyone. Everybody that I know that uses it looks great and has no problems... I tried the sample I got at last year's trade show & I liked it as well...
icon_cheesygrin.gif

ive used it 4 times on half of my body, and ive only used about 1/4 of the 4 oz tube. id say the price tag is worth it. plus, i love the fakey cherry smell. its a heck of a lot better than the others ive tried.

i had to get the darkest color because i couldnt find a self tanner that would actually show up on me (as discussed in the "self tanner help!" thread) so unless im really diligent, i have a line at my wrists from where i wash my hands.

to fix this, ive started cutting it with moisturizer, about half and half. then i apply it twice as often. i dont have to worry about the precision so much, so its really worth it to apply it twice as often. it doesnt take any longer than applying a regular lotion. damn i look good. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Haloinrverse ive used it 4 times on half of my body, and ive only used about 1/4 of the 4 oz tube. id say the price tag is worth it. plus, i love the fakey cherry smell. its a heck of a lot better than the others ive tried.
i had to get the darkest color because i couldnt find a self tanner that would actually show up on me (as discussed in the "self tanner help!" thread) so unless im really diligent, i have a line at my wrists from where i wash my hands.

to fix this, ive started cutting it with moisturizer, about half and half. then i apply it twice as often. i dont have to worry about the precision so much, so its really worth it to apply it twice as often. it doesnt take any longer than applying a regular lotion. damn i look good. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You SEXY THANG! lol That's a good idea though w/ the lotion! I usually would just wipe my hands w/ a baby wipe, but I'm not big on self tanner... I'm bad - I like the real thing...
icon_redface.gif
But I'm natually dark (Italian) so I really don't have to tan much to be dark... lol

i tan in salons, so i use the drama queen lotion. it's a pink bottle and it's made with hemp seed (oil?)

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 You SEXY THANG! lol That's a good idea though w/ the lotion! I usually would just wipe my hands w/ a baby wipe, but I'm not big on self tanner... I'm bad - I like the real thing...
icon_redface.gif
But I'm natually dark (Italian) so I really don't have to tan much to be dark... lol does the baby wipe work well to remove the tanner from your palms? the stuff i use develops on my palms instantly when i use it full strength, and i have to use a body scrub to get it off!

Originally Posted by Haloinrverse does the baby wipe work well to remove the tanner from your palms? the stuff i use develops on my palms instantly when i use it full strength, and i have to use a body scrub to get it off! Yeah, as long as you wipe it right away - It seems to work pretty good the times I've done it... maybe the SUN is stronger and more potent, but you can always wear latex gloves! That is another of my tricks...
wink.gif
then you take off one glove & do the top of your hands, then finally do the last one
smile.gif

Originally Posted by shayrenee When it comes to lotions I ALWAYS use John Abate line . That line is real big on skin care anti-aging etc . My all time FAVE is JA Babie b/c its also skin firming & thats ALWAYS a plus LOL They're good... a little overrated, but nice
smile.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Yeah, as long as you wipe it right away - It seems to work pretty good the times I've done it... maybe the SUN is stronger and more potent, but you can always wear latex gloves! That is another of my tricks...
wink.gif
then you take off one glove & do the top of your hands, then finally do the last one
smile.gif
i was thinking that latex gloves might be good.

Originally Posted by lizzyb831 i tan in salons, so i use the drama queen lotion. it's a pink bottle and it's made with hemp seed (oil?) This is a nice one too - hemp oil is great for the skin!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
This lotion also has anti-aging & firming ingredients... Designer Skin also makes a great Moisturizing lotion.."Angel" - with hemp as well. This is a great after tan/ after bath lotion - Use it everyday!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Haloinrverse i was thinking that latex gloves might be good. Yeah, I always wore gloves... and when I used bronzing tanning lotion at the salon & didnt have gloves handy, I would use the baby wipes that we kept in the rooms.
icon_cool.gif

Latest posts

Back