Which cosmetics line has the most attractive "image"?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now this is, on the surface, a shallow poll. But... marketing/packaging plays a major role in the success of a given cosmetics brand. Which line is your favorite, in terms of image/aesthetics? Does packaging influence your decision whether or not to buy a certain product?

(I could only put 22 brands in the poll, so if you had to pick "other", tell us what it is!)

I will have to say hands down.. Benefit. I worked there for two years (and continuing this April to work for the Benefit Pro Store, I hope) and I know that the packaging caused people to stop in their tracks. Customers bought things just because of the packaging, without even trying the product! It was amazing.

This was tough b/c I need to vote for two. I selected Chantecaille for best packaging b/c it's sleek & very modern w/out being fussy or stuffy.

However, I want to add that I think the prettiest packaging is YSL, hands down. Although I'm not a fan of gold, when a woman pulls out a YSL l/s, I take notice. Their packaging is timeless & classic unlike many lines which lean toward gimmicky or "eye catching."

As far as best marketing, Chanel wins this hands down. Photography is amazing in their campaigns which lure buyers to think they need a $50 blush. Their imaging is stellar beyond words.

On a different note, I think that Armani has the most modern packaging out there. It's sleek & contemporary & @ the same time, elegant. It's something that a 12-year-old girl or a 70-year-old woman could carry w/out trying to impress anyone.

Everything else is just fun & kind of boring for me. I'm attracted to classic lines w/a modern, sleek feel--NOT fussy or trendy. I'm not a big fan of the rubberized stuff that NARS has, but have to admit that his stuff fits the criteria of great packaging.

Originally Posted by Trisha I picked NARS cos I love the sleek rubberised packaging!! I love their imagery too! If I could pick 2, then NARS would be my second choice, but because I can only pick 1 I'm going for .....
Anna Sui - love the packaging of the MU, and the mirror and brushes they did, but I never really got on with the product. I love the pics they use in their fragrance campaigns too!

DollyGirl.jpg

Originally Posted by Trisha I like MAC cos its simple and collect the postcards to decorate my room Totally off topic but... where do you keep your postcards? I have been collecting some MAC, Vogue and others and want to decorate my room with them but dont want to tape them directly to the wall or use push pins.
Sorry for the thread jack.

icon_biggrin.gif

In terms of image I'd say Armani - packaging is simple, sleek, no frills and the products are exclusive (they hardly sell anywhere!).

I love the NARS packaging, though I'm not so crazy about the products!

Originally Posted by Mariposa Totally off topic but... where do you keep your postcards? I have been collecting some MAC, Vogue and others and want to decorate my room with them but dont want to tape them directly to the wall or use push pins.
Sorry for the thread jack.

icon_biggrin.gif

I just finally got my first postcard..lol (Madame b.) But If you don't want to put them directly on your walls, what about if you go to an arts n' crafts store, and get a poster frame (they are usually pretty cheap... plastic edging and plexiglass-like front) and use them to make a collage in the frame? That way all of them are in there, and you can organize them how you want... and be able to take them off the wall in one easy step!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I just finally got my first postcard..lol (Madame b.) But If you don't want to put them directly on your walls, what about if you go to an arts n' crafts store, and get a poster frame (they are usually pretty cheap... plastic edging and plexiglass-like front) and use them to make a collage in the frame? That way all of them are in there, and you can organize them how you want... and be able to take them off the wall in one easy step!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Good idea. I am thinking of maybe getting some cheap frames and posting them all over my room.

Originally Posted by Mariposa Good idea. I am thinking of maybe getting some cheap frames and posting them all over my room. I'm sure they'll look great!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
a girl I know collected them and put them in big frames... she'd take cards w/ similar color schemes (or totally different - she had like 4 frames) and when you stood back it was like a picasso of colors... then you go up close and you see it's all MAC cards LOL
icon_cool.gif

I definitely bite for brands that have beautiful packaging.
biggrin.gif
Makeup is a luxury item and I like to use cosmetics that give me a sense of pure pampering when I use them. My beauty personality is refined and expensive and I fall in love with the lines that reflect that image the best.

My vote for most luxurious packaging and image: YSL

This doesn't mean that they have the best products, though I will say that their 2005 products are awsome!

My favorite brands for quality are: Bobbi Brown, YSL, Laura Mercier and Chanel.

Brands that are of good quality but their marketing puts me off completely: MAC, Estee Lauder

Latest posts

Back