Which Self Tanners Work Best?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Which Self Tanners Work Best?

From Elizabeth Waverly

We rate the best self tanners on the market

Ever since a bronzed Coco Chanel came back from a Mediterranean vacation in the 1920s & made the tan the hottest fashion accessory, women have been going ga-ga over golden skin.

These days you don't have to lay out in the sun to get a beautiful bronzed face & body. In fact, in order to keep your face wrinkle-free it's important you use sunscreen every day (90% of wrinkles are caused by UV rays). But wearing sunscreen doesn't mean you have to look like a ghost 12 months out of the year. Everyone knows bronzed skin gives off a healthy glow & makes you look pounds thinner. Here, I rundown a list of the best self tanners & bronzers on the market.

Best Self Tanners for the Face

In 1984, Guerlain of Paris created the first bronzing powder, dubbed Terracotta & at $35 it's still one of the best bronzers on the market.

Laura Mercier Bronzer. A bit pricier than M.A.C. & other bronzers on the market, but well worth the price. This bronzer provides a "just tanned" look with a touch of rose. Warms the skin and adds a spark of shimmer.

Chanel Perfecting Bronzer. Powder this bronzer on your forehead, cheeks & nose for that perfect sun-kissed look.

Clarins Radiance-Plus Self Tanning Cream-Gel. The authors of 'Total Beauty,' one of the many beauty books I have, gave this facial self tanner 8.13 points out of 10 -- the highest rating for all their tested self tanners. Why did they like it? It's light, has a pleasant smell & lasts a couple days.

Lancome Flash Bronzer Instant Bronze Glow for the Face. This self tanner was voted 'Best New Product' by New Woman Magazine it's first year on the market. It has a pleasant smell, gives a nice, all-over golden glow & has skin-softening Vitamin E.

Estee Lauder Go Tan Towelettes for Face & Decolletage. This product is the fake tan equivalent of cleansing wipes. These individually-wrapped towelettes let you whip up a golden tan at your desk, in the car or even on the plane.

Phytomer Bronze Perfect. This is a great facial self-tanner that also doesn't smell, isn't sticky & leaves a nice, all-over golden glow.

Best Self Tanners for the Body

Decleor Auto-Bronzant Spray Express Hydratant SPF 6.You'll find this to be one of the best & least pungent self tanners you'll try. Tanning agents are 100 percent organic and are suitable for face as well as body.

St. Tropez Whipped Mousse. This salon brand is beloved by celebs including Elle MacPherson. The superspeedy mousse has aloe leaf juice & fruit acids to pump up the tan.

. This super-hydrating mousse gives instant color & develops fully within an hour.

Origins Great Pretender. Get golden brown with this tinted shimmery body gel. Like most Origins products, this self tanners has many natural ingredients. And the sparkle & shimmer will make you feel sexy all summer long.

Yup i'd agree with you Gill. I dont think its available in the US though so US girls, ye are safe
biggrin.gif

30?? YIKES! I didnt realise it was that expensive.. When did you buy it by the way? Coz my cousin is a No.7 consultant & she said they're after changing the formula in the past few months & that zillions of people are complaining about it now. I didnt like the old formula anyway but supposedly the new formula is even worse!

Aw.. was it really that bad? To be honest i kinda like their make up, e/s & liners but ya i agree about the tan. I wouldnt touch it again. What do you use now?

Maybe I'll try one of these. I don't know, I never seem to have any luck with self tanners. I'm very fair and anytime I use a self tanner, you can always tell that its a 'fake' tan. Either I'm a terrible "blender" or I've just been using the wrong products.

I tried the Mystic Tan spray twice. My first time - talk about a comical experience.
eek.gif
I go into the "chamber" and immediately, I'm feeling claustrophobic.
icon_eek.gif
Well then I couldn't get the spray to work. I kept pressing the button and shutting my eyes and holding my breath. Finally I had to yell for the girl to come and help me out. Ok, so the spray starts and it scared the daylights out of me because it was so sudden and loud. I'm moving my arms up and down and turning around and doing all these weird movements to make sure I get sprayed evenly. After its over (and a big sigh of relief) I pat myself down. I ended up still having white feet and creasing in certain areas of my body.
icon_evil.gif

I tried it a second time and that wasn't much better than the first - results wise. But at least I didn't have a panic attack in the "chamber" the second time - LOL
icon_redface.gif

Latest posts

Back