Who has tried Bare Escentuals?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd love to hear your opinions about Bare Escentuals! I have been really interested in buying this stuff because I've heard that it offers GREAT coverage and that it looks really natural. I'm so tired of using liquid foundation and I've never found one that I really like (I've tried Clinique, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Mary Kay...).

The reason why I hesitate to buy this stuff is b/c I've read that it does not work so well on oily skin, which I have. Also, what's the deal on the application technique.
wink.gif

Hey Christina! I'm Janelle from NY - don't think we've met before... HI!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I have BE - it's really nice... BUT you have to apply a little at a time, so it doesn't look masky or show pores. I find I get a better finish if I 'swirl, tap' and then practically smoosh the brush to my face to 'buff'... the product travels up the bristles toward the handle when you 'swirl'... so just lightly dusting with the end isn't gonna cut it.
wink.gif
I like that you really do feel like you aren't wearing anything... and the wide variety of colors are so adjustable, that you really can't make a mistake. It is also nice not having that 'line'. Which I'll see sometimes no matter how well I blend a liquid! lol I would start out with a small kit (ulta has one for $40) and see how you like it ... I love the Mineral Veil and warmth. Even if you don't end up liking the foundation, you'll probably really like these... most people do.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Hey Christina! I'm Janelle from NY - don't think we've met before... HI!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I have BE - it's really nice... BUT you have to apply a little at a time, so it doesn't look masky or show pores. I find I get a better finish if I 'swirl, tap' and then practically smoosh the brush to my face to 'buff'... the product travels up the bristles toward the handle when you 'swirl'... so just lightly dusting with the end isn't gonna cut it.
wink.gif
I like that you really do feel like you aren't wearing anything... and the wide variety of colors are so adjustable, that you really can't make a mistake. It is also nice not having that 'line'. Which I'll see sometimes no matter how well I blend a liquid! lol I would start out with a small kit (ulta has one for $40) and see how you like it ... I love the Mineral Veil and warmth. Even if you don't end up liking the foundation, you'll probably really like these... most people do.
wink.gif

Hey Janelle! I just registered on this forum a couple of days ago. Thanks so much for your advice and info! Do you use it everyday as part of your routine? I wish I could walk into Sephora or one of the Bare Escentuals boutiques to sample it but there are NONE anywhere near me (I live in the Virginia Beach area). I didn't know you can buy a small kit...I will definitely look into that hehe.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by ChristinaK Hey Janelle! I just registered on this forum a couple of days ago. Thanks so much for your advice and info! Do you use it everyday as part of your routine? I wish I could walk into Sephora or one of the Bare Escentuals boutiques to sample it but there are NONE anywhere near me (I live in the Virginia Beach area). I didn't know you can buy a small kit...I will definitely look into that hehe.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Do you have an Ulta near you?? They have testers there - of the foundations, all overs, and blushes anyway -
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I've been too lazy lately to bother with makeup... and in the summer I usualy use a tinted moisturizer (currently Bobbi Brown) but in the fall/winter/spring I'll use that or my Mac Moistureblend... I switch. Whatever I feel like for the day LOL
wink.gif

oh... the $40 Ulta kit comes with: a jar or foundation, mineral veil, warmth, all over flawless application brush, a booklet of tips and a video... not too shabby for $40!
wink.gif

I'm Trying To Get Into The Eye Shadows Does Anyone Know Of A Good E-bay Seller That Does The Eye Shadow Samples? Also Is There Any Specific Colors I Should Try First?

Originally Posted by ChristinaK

I'd love to hear your opinions about Bare Escentuals! I have been really interested in buying this stuff because I've heard that it offers GREAT coverage and that it looks really natural. I'm so tired of using liquid foundation and I've never found one that I really like (I've tried Clinique, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Mary Kay...).
The reason why I hesitate to buy this stuff is b/c I've read that it does not work so well on oily skin, which I have. Also, what's the deal on the application technique.
wink.gif

Welcome Christina! I'm Tony from Southern CA. Have a great stay, looking forward to your posts

hi! welcome to mut. i'm liz from california.

BE is iffy on some people. you have to figure out how to use it.

i know people like the mineral veila and the shadows though.

Originally Posted by ALLY2383 I'm Trying To Get Into The Eye Shadows Does Anyone Know Of A Good E-bay Seller That Does The Eye Shadow Samples? Also Is There Any Specific Colors I Should Try First? Sorry Ally, I haven't really gotten into their shadows yet... but I hear they are awesome!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Here is a thread Gwen started about her BE eyeshadow purchases... Click Me!!

The BE eyeshadows are all gorgeous! I highly recommend them for everyone.

I also like BE's foundation, mineral veil, blushes. I have oily skin and they work really well on me. I really like loose powders in general. I just don't like that my Sephora is always sold out of my shade of foundation!

The only thing I tried was their BLush and I didn't like it! It made me break out believe it nor not!

Hi ChristinaK, I'm Karen from NY ~ nice to meet you
icon_cheesygrin.gif
~ and welcome to MuT ! Bare Escentuals works for some people, I tried it and liked it, but then again I'm always switching my foundations every few months...

Re: Bare Minerals foundation - yuck. That's all I can say. I have very oily skin and after only an hour wearing the foundation I was oilier than normal and a funny shade of pink. It wasn't a "glow" and it certainly wasn't natural. I even went so far as to try their mineral veil which is supposed to absorb the oil, then a foundation primer by Paul Dorf - no luck for me. Again, "yuck" is the only comment I have. Oh and by the way, it is applied with a short, squatty brush called a kabuki brush (I think). If you just want to try it to put your mind at ease, order it directly from their site and request the "goddess" package. This can be returned if you're not satisfied. It includes several color options, the mineral veil and some brushes etc. It was $59 for the package.

Originally Posted by ChristinaK I'd love to hear your opinions about Bare Escentuals! I have been really interested in buying this stuff because I've heard that it offers GREAT coverage and that it looks really natural. I'm so tired of using liquid foundation and I've never found one that I really like (I've tried Clinique, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Mary Kay...).
wink.gif

Hi, I'm new and so excited about this website......I have recently purchased several samples from ebay, and it only takes a little. One store in ebay is called "colorful sprinkles" GREAT PRICE!

Originally Posted by ALLY2383 I'm Trying To Get Into The Eye Shadows Does Anyone Know Of A Good E-bay Seller That Does The Eye Shadow Samples? Also Is There Any Specific Colors I Should Try First?

Hi and Welcome!

I have tried BE, I just bought the kit 2 weeks ago and I actually posted on here because I had some difficulty with it. So far, with all the suggestions I got, BE is okay. I watched the infomercial and everything and was seriously wowed by it. But when I tried it, I was kinda let down. I am still experimenting though and I wore BE today. So far I think I look the same, I look like I have makeup on and it looks similar to the liquid foundation I use. I use a sheer amount, but it still looks like makeup. I did use moisturizer before and I think thats the key, to let it stick, otherwise it won't and it will look like a bunch of powder on your face and it looks smoother if you moisturize first. I do though, love the eyeshadows! They work great and the BE eyeshadow brush makes the eyeshadow look so good. I think you should try BE, you might like it.

I love minerals but BE is my least favorite. No matter what I tried it always looked too shiny and cakey. My fave is Jane Iredale. I've also used and liked mineral secrets, Youngblood and aromaleigh. I used to be able to get free samples of JI from skindeepiii.com but I don't know if they still do that. I think with any mineral makeup there is a learning curve.

I was an avid BE user for 3 years then it turned on me! Like southerngal, it made me oiler and started to break me out, too! It also started to look cakey and made my pores look larger. Eek. I switched to Jane Iredale's Amazing Base Mineral makeup and LOVE it. You need very little for excellent coverage, and it stays fresh all day. My skin is no longer super oily, as well.

I do love BE eyeshadows. I would highly recommend those. My fav colors are Drama and Purrfect.

I also use BE, I guess it's been 2 years now. I don't use it every day, I switch off with different liquid foundations like other members said they do. I use the foundation, Mineral Veil, Summer Bisque concealer, Warmth and Glee All-Over colors, and 2 highlighters Clear Radiance and Warm Radiance. I also have 5 or 6 various BE brushes. I enjoy all of it. I haven't tried any eyeshadows yet. What I like about the foundation is, if I keep 2 different shades on hand, I can mix each day to suit my skin tone. More tan in the summer and lighter in the winter. Application does take some practice, no question. It took me about a month to decide if I really liked BE or not. I finally decided I did! Of course, being the MU junkie I am, I will never stop trying new things. I tried Pur Minerals pressed mineral powder, and I liked that too...much more convenient in the pressed form. I take it to work for touchups. My next try wil be the Jane Iredale since it has gotten so many rave reviews. Who knows maybe I'll love it more than BE and switch for good. That reminds me, be sure to check out the MuT Review Center because a lot of members have done reviews on BE and other mneral MU's. (Including myself.)
wink.gif
Let us know if you try BE!

Hi Christina, I'm Karen also from NY - Janelle's Mom... - that's her opinion of this stuff...Personally, I wasn't that crazy about it...I didn't like the look of this crap on my skin by itself... What I've been doing just recently, is using my regular foundation, then apply the BE over it lightly to set the foundation....If I didn't find that use for it, I would of thrown the stuff out all together. But for the $$$$$ I spent on it - I better do something w/it !
wink.gif

Originally Posted by ChristinaK I'd love to hear your opinions about Bare Escentuals! I have been really interested in buying this stuff because I've heard that it offers GREAT coverage and that it looks really natural. I'm so tired of using liquid foundation and I've never found one that I really like (I've tried Clinique, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Mary Kay...).
wink.gif

Hi and welcome to MUT! I have tried and occasionally use BE's Bare Minerals. It has excellent coverage but I feel like it makes my dry skin look peely and flaky. If not applied correctly it also settles in lines and creases on the face. If you have large pores forget about it! This stuff pools into them and stays there.I say test it out first and wear it for a week. I liked it for one week and then I noticed little things that I disliked. Good Luck!
icon_redface.gif

Latest posts

Back