Quantcast

Why is everybody fat?

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Feb 17, 2004
Messages
1,992
Reaction score
1
I found this thread on Ebay and I thought it was interesting. The names have been partially erased.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>why is everybody fat?

ms (view author's auctions)

05/19/04 05:46 PM </TD><TR><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Seems like everyone is trying to lose, including my whole family too. And all my friends. I know America is the most overweight country, but WHAT HAPPENED??? </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

--=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>maxte

05/19/04 08:44 PM(#1 of 79)
</TD><TR><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD>McDonald's happened. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>poop05/19/04 08:51 PM(#2 of 79)
</TD><TR><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD>too many calories in....

As Americans we are told that food is associated with comfort and good times. We sublimate our unhappyness with calories. Horrible cycle of eat to feel good and then feel horrible for what we ate and how we look for it.

;-O </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>alwaysmebb

05/19/04 09:47 PM(#3 of 79)
</TD><TR><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD>TV. Remote controls. Mops with wet cloths attached to them. Automatic dryers. Computers. Game Boys. Super sized food. Being afraid to let the kids play outside. too many sports that you sign the kids up for so they get their exercise, but instead of playing with the kids, you eat on the run as you drive here and drive there. Women working. Kids in daycare. Food being equated with love. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>clarityheal05/19/04 10:28 PM(#4 of 79)
</TD><TR><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Overeating is just another addiction. One of the main problems is that most people don't accept that answer for their personal situation. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>alwaysmebbi

05/19/04 10:44 PM(#5 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>But it's not overeating per se. It's WHAT we eat. French fries, cheesecakes, double lattes, Krispy Kreme doughnuts. It's also the lack of exercise. We need to get back to walking to the grocery store, walking the kids to the park, getting down on our hands and knees and scrubbing the floors, walking with our families after dinner instead of sitting in front of the computer, TV, or Playstation. Think about it. Have you ever watched someone arriving at a gym. They circle the parking lot 2 or 3 times to get a closer parking space!?!?!?! </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>i_need_a

05/19/04 10:46 PM(#6 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Post #3 says it all. People are lazy too. So are kids.

I'm not that old (32) and when I was a kid, McDonald's was an occasional treat, and after school, we HAD to play outside.

Also, there are alot more families with two working parents, so everyone is always on the go.

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>aaan

05/20/04 04:48 AM(#7 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>years ago someone old me that I tended to hold a few extra pounds because I am short -- I just looked at them...LOL --- what do they think ? Do they think we all get the same amount of body fat and skin and it stretches better on taller people ??? LOL - LOL ! </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>prettygyrl77

05/20/04 04:56 AM(#8 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Lack of self control AND lack of choice. Let's face it- it's easier to grab a bag a chips and snack on it on the way to your next appt. then to sit there and toss yourself a salad. And speaking of salads- most of the salads that are made in fast food restaurants are loaded with cheese, croutons, dressing and all the extras that eventually equal the calories of the average burger and fries. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>dull*women*have*05/20/04 05:16 AM(#9 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>This is no reflection on all the posters that state that folks eat because they are trying to fill up a void, etc., but sometimes folks just eat something because it tastes goodhttp://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/happy.gif

Sometimes a Big Mac is just a Big Mac. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>jetscream05/20/04 05:42 AM(#10 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Fast foods...and this includes prepared foods we buy in the grocery store.

We are not even aware of what we are putting in our bodies. Have you ever really looked at the list of ingredients on many seemingly simple prepared foods?

Don't think I don't eat them anyway, sometimes.

What is getting a lot of notice lately, is corn syrup that is used to sweeten so many things, or just to improve the taste. As if parents don't have enough to contend with, our schools are selling out to the Coke and Pepsi people, and have put vending machines in the schools. Our school district got quite a nice chunk of money to do this.

My son can now go to school and have a nice lunch of Coke and french fries.

At least this is the case in Greenville SC.

It's tough when the fools are in charge. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>blueaz

05/20/04 06:08 AM(#11 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>What about all the people who cook? A lot of the time that's not healthy, either. Steaks smothered in gravy, mashed potatoes swimming in butter, vegetables from the garden loaded down with butter ands salt (or fatback, shudder). That's the way a lot of people cook around here. (Very rural southeast TX) Oh, and they seem to think dessert goes with every meal. Homemade, extra cream, extra sugar. I can see the arteries slamming shut!

I'm not saying that any of the other points are wrong; there's truth to all of them. This is just another component.

Jets- Our school district has outlawed anything with sugar as the first ingredient. Which means you can't send packages of skittles for your child's class, but you can send chocolate. You can't send cupcakes (unless they are icing-free), but you can send brownies. What kind of sense does that make? It's all just as bad. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>swankboutiq

05/20/04 07:27 AM(#12 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Isn't that scary about the school districts??? They get $$$$ to keep that stuff in the schools, the schools are desperate for money so they do it. PE classes for the elementary school are once every two weeks instead of every day like they were when I was a kid. Welcome to California.

Also, and this could be a long shot - SSRI's????

I know I gained 40 pounds on one.

Sam's Club, Costco???? </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>finallywildf05/20/04 09:41 AM(#13 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Swank I definitly think you are on to something.Everyone that I now that is/was on an ssri has gained.Obviosly not a scientific theory, but i'd be intersted to see a tudy on that.Wonder if thats the drug companies dirty litle secret?

All posteres have made valid points when I go to get my daughter from school it's sad to see that about half are overweight. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>dances_with_

05/20/04 10:04 AM(#14 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>OMG - so glad I was munching my bowl of raisin bran when I read this post!

Liquid sugar - sodas and sweet drinks. I mean they don't fill you up so you can eat even more food items bloated with calories since sugar stimulates your appetite.

Supersize meals

More processed food - ever tried to shop supra healthy at the store? Not just a section anymore for junk food (chips) but entire rows devoted to the delicacies.

Growth hormone in meat

Our acute vision - we are affected by those pizza ads but may not recogize our cravings are a result from watching them. But I love my pizza cravings. LOL

And yes, I love and relish my spicy chicken sandwhich from McDonalds. http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/silly.gif

But it is frustrating to go to the grocery store to get whole foods (AK). Even the health food section has different types of fat free this and low carb that. Whole food please! *Moooooooooooo* http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/laugh.gif </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>dances_(209http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/icon/IconTealStar_25x25.gif) (view author's auctions)

05/20/04 10:09 AM(#15 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Commercials that give the viewer a different association when they are consuming their product.

When you're eating that big supersize fat, fat, fat goody from the you know where - you are not eating that big supersize .... la la la - you're lovin' it. http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/shocked.gif </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>lily*

05/20/04 12:52 PM(#17 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Well, I can't speak for America, but I can tell you why I gained weight (and have lost it and gained it and lost it). When I met my husband, I wore a size 6/8, but most of the time a size 8. I exercised loyally 4-6 days per week for about two hours each day. When we started dating we would go out to dinner and split a meal. Gradually I went from exercising that much to not at all or only in spurts. As time went by, he and I also stopped splitting entrees when we'd go out - and we all know how large portions are in restaurants. Basically, I went from being a picture of health to mushy.

Once again, I am losing weight. I have pretty much stuck to an exercise regimen for this entire year - the five months that have passed, anyway. And that in itself is an improvement because usually what happens is I will exercise loyally for about 3 or 4 weeks and then one day something will come up and I won't, and then for some reason, I just don't get back into it again for a few weeks.

I think something else that happened is the FDA's food pyramid. Most people who eat according to the food pyramid will gain weight. I'm one of those people...I could eat exactly according to the food pyramid, staying within all its guidelines, including calorie count and still gain weight. I've found what works best for me is low-carb eating, exercise, and LOTS of water.

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>jetscream

05/20/04 01:06 PM(#18 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Blueazures,

WOW! I don't even know what to think about that. There is absolutely no way the parents in this school district would tolerate anyone telling them what they could and could not pack in a lunch. Thinking back though, I do remember when WE were not allowed to send soft drinks to school. Go figure.

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>ccp166

05/20/04 07:01 PM(#19 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif

</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>I hate to get up on my soap box but......MARKETING!! There is a cartoon/super hero character on almost every brand of junk food out there. And kids love that stuff. Mine included. We HAVE To get the juice boxes with Winne the Pooh or Elmo on them. I don't know what I am going to do when they realize I've been diluting them with waterhttp://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/happy.gif

Lilygarden

Your right about the food pyramid. The FDA calls white bread a grain.

If we all went back to the days when food was a necesity and not luxury I think we would see a big slimming down of americans. Simple meals of friuts and veggies might do us a lot of good.

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>i.bark.for.

05/20/04 09:42 PM(#20 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Processed foods & lack of exercise play a huge role. If we were to eat foods in their natural state, we would be much healthier & could eat WAY more food. When we eat packaged foods, they usually have a list of ingredients (preservatives & additives) a mile long- most of which I can't even pronounce! I lost 40lbs. seventeen years ago by simply changing my eating habits & have kept it off. I can eat so much more food now without gaining weight.

My neice started eating this way last October & has now lost 55lbs. It's been very easy for her , too. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>opulenthealt05/21/04 12:29 AM(#21 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>We are just to well off in this country. Food is everywhere, so is technology that makes us even more lazy. Compound that with the fact most Americans do not exercise at all, and you have most people overweight.

Eat less sugary foods, eat more whole foods, and exercise. Losing weight is as simple as burning more calories than you consume. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>my_cats_snipe_for)

05/21/04 06:02 AM(#22 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Age does it, too.

A year or so ago, over a period of about 4 months, I gained 20 pounds. I was always thin and could eat anything I wanted at any time of the day (or night!). Always had a high metabolism.

I started a new job. My old job had me walking up and down a flight of stairs I swear at least 40 times a day. Now I sit in front of a computer all day. I am sure that's what helped a lot--I am not fat by any means but I sure dont feel as good as I used to.

I live on the third floor of an apartment complex and am literally gasping for air at the top. Sometimes feel like I cant make that last flight.

Decreasing calorie intake helped absolutely none. You have GOT to exercise. I tried to utilize the workout room at our apt complex but never stayed over 20min because I thought I was going to pass out. Now I am working myself up to it--I am walking every chance I get (we have a park nearby with a walk path.)

Your only chance is to burn the calories that come in--simply decreasing the amount does not work.

This is not intended for anyone who has a metabolism disorder or eating disorder that causes them to be large.

All the advice here is great! The low carb diets dont work for everyone, just like the high carb diets dont. Everyone's body is different. Lots of fiber is the best advice I can give! And less saturated fats, especially trans. When you must eat fats, choose things like real butter over spread or margarine. That Parkay butter spray is great (no fat! as long as you dont spray and spray and spray...) Avoid the 'partially hydrogenated' stuff. And read the nutrition labels and pay attention to portion sizes they quote. If you notice a package change on some regular stuff you buy, double check the nutrition labels!!! They may have changed the portion size, or amt of servings per container. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>my_cats_snipe_for_

05/21/04 06:03 AM(#23 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>I forgot to add about my 'age' comment that my mom was the same way til she hit 40...she told me I wouldnt always be able to eat the way I did--and she was right! </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>jetscreameryoua

05/21/04 08:02 AM(#24 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Our bodies undergo so many changes in our 40's.

Over a very short period of time I found I had gained 10 pounds, for no apparent reason.

Our metabolisms change. Therefore we have to adjust how we eat and stay active.

For over 2 years now, I have been back at a comfortable 120. I exercise almost daily, and yes, I do watch those carbs. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>dances_with_robo

05/21/04 09:14 AM(#25 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>There are so many chemicals in modern processed food that it's mind boggling to analyze what body processes may be inhibited or accelerated because of that.

I believe whole foods have the innate intelligence of the creator and the wisdom and instruction contained within to bring the body into balance.

I'm still in the process of changing my dietary habits but I'm closer than I've ever been. A strong immune system and a healthy body can take care of pesky toxins and chemicals. A body that is loved and nourished has a completely different vibe to it. The body truly is a temple.

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>hlcrose

05/21/04 12:47 PM(#26 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>I am from Victoria BC Canada.

I love coming here to talk to people http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/happy.gif We don't have a Health and Beauty board in the Canada EBAY.. I don't know why...but I really love coming here http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/happy.gif

I am happy msealwing posted this topic.

Just last week, I saw an IHOP commercial on FOX, instead of chicken salad.. now they put the whole sirloin steak (cut into strips) in salad... WHAT IS THAT??!!!

It's just a way to make people think they are eating health... if you look close to every menu and commercial.. people eat lots meat but very very few vegetables.

Fast food is a problem... McDoncalds is not an occasional treat for kids anymore!! Fries... soda... everything is cooked in animal fat too.

Most companies use lots white sugar and animal fat for flavouring.. because it's cheap... cost is low and that's how they make money. If you have ever read about white sugar... white sugar is PURE JUNK!! Refined white sugar, table salt, animal fat.. these type of stuff are all bad for you and would make you fat.

Don't even talk about the chemical they put in food nowadays... OMG!!!

Before I met my boyfriend, I have been trying to lose weight for years!! My weight isn't heavy but I just look really chubby. It was so hard to lose weight and whenever I lost tiny bit of weight... I gained it back fast!!

I learned a lot about healthy diet, natural food .. etc from him.. and I learned to read the ingredients list on the product... !!

I am now wearing Size 0 -1 pants~~ my boyfriend is a vegetarian but I am not.. I am almost a vegatarian but not quite.. I still eat meat sometimes.. but I lost weight and even feel more healthy... !!

Eating healthy makes big differences~~

I can go on and on about eating healthy food.. lol.. I already typed a lot and hope I didn't tire you guys out from reading it.. :p /emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I can post more information later if you guys like http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/happy.gif

Thanks http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/happy.gif </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

 
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
1,124
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Californian I found this thread on Ebay and I thought it was interesting. The names have been partially erased.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>why is everybody fat?

ms (view author's auctions)

05/19/04 05:46 PM </TD><TR><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Seems like everyone is trying to lose, including my whole family too. And all my friends. I know America is the most overweight country, but WHAT HAPPENED??? </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

--=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>maxte

05/19/04 08:44 PM(#1 of 79)
</TD><TR><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD>McDonald's happened. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>poop05/19/04 08:51 PM(#2 of 79)
</TD><TR><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD>too many calories in....

As Americans we are told that food is associated with comfort and good times. We sublimate our unhappyness with calories. Horrible cycle of eat to feel good and then feel horrible for what we ate and how we look for it.

;-O </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>alwaysmebb

05/19/04 09:47 PM(#3 of 79)
</TD><TR><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD>TV. Remote controls. Mops with wet cloths attached to them. Automatic dryers. Computers. Game Boys. Super sized food. Being afraid to let the kids play outside. too many sports that you sign the kids up for so they get their exercise, but instead of playing with the kids, you eat on the run as you drive here and drive there. Women working. Kids in daycare. Food being equated with love. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>clarityheal05/19/04 10:28 PM(#4 of 79)
</TD><TR><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Overeating is just another addiction. One of the main problems is that most people don't accept that answer for their personal situation. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>alwaysmebbi

05/19/04 10:44 PM(#5 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>But it's not overeating per se. It's WHAT we eat. French fries, cheesecakes, double lattes, Krispy Kreme doughnuts. It's also the lack of exercise. We need to get back to walking to the grocery store, walking the kids to the park, getting down on our hands and knees and scrubbing the floors, walking with our families after dinner instead of sitting in front of the computer, TV, or Playstation. Think about it. Have you ever watched someone arriving at a gym. They circle the parking lot 2 or 3 times to get a closer parking space!?!?!?! </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>i_need_a

05/19/04 10:46 PM(#6 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Post #3 says it all. People are lazy too. So are kids.

I'm not that old (32) and when I was a kid, McDonald's was an occasional treat, and after school, we HAD to play outside.

Also, there are alot more families with two working parents, so everyone is always on the go.

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>aaan

05/20/04 04:48 AM(#7 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>years ago someone old me that I tended to hold a few extra pounds because I am short -- I just looked at them...LOL --- what do they think ? Do they think we all get the same amount of body fat and skin and it stretches better on taller people ??? LOL - LOL ! </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>prettygyrl77

05/20/04 04:56 AM(#8 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Lack of self control AND lack of choice. Let's face it- it's easier to grab a bag a chips and snack on it on the way to your next appt. then to sit there and toss yourself a salad. And speaking of salads- most of the salads that are made in fast food restaurants are loaded with cheese, croutons, dressing and all the extras that eventually equal the calories of the average burger and fries. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>dull*women*have*05/20/04 05:16 AM(#9 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>This is no reflection on all the posters that state that folks eat because they are trying to fill up a void, etc., but sometimes folks just eat something because it tastes goodhttp://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/happy.gif

Sometimes a Big Mac is just a Big Mac. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>jetscream05/20/04 05:42 AM(#10 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Fast foods...and this includes prepared foods we buy in the grocery store.

We are not even aware of what we are putting in our bodies. Have you ever really looked at the list of ingredients on many seemingly simple prepared foods?

Don't think I don't eat them anyway, sometimes.

What is getting a lot of notice lately, is corn syrup that is used to sweeten so many things, or just to improve the taste. As if parents don't have enough to contend with, our schools are selling out to the Coke and Pepsi people, and have put vending machines in the schools. Our school district got quite a nice chunk of money to do this.

My son can now go to school and have a nice lunch of Coke and french fries.

At least this is the case in Greenville SC.

It's tough when the fools are in charge. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>blueaz

05/20/04 06:08 AM(#11 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>What about all the people who cook? A lot of the time that's not healthy, either. Steaks smothered in gravy, mashed potatoes swimming in butter, vegetables from the garden loaded down with butter ands salt (or fatback, shudder). That's the way a lot of people cook around here. (Very rural southeast TX) Oh, and they seem to think dessert goes with every meal. Homemade, extra cream, extra sugar. I can see the arteries slamming shut!

I'm not saying that any of the other points are wrong; there's truth to all of them. This is just another component.

Jets- Our school district has outlawed anything with sugar as the first ingredient. Which means you can't send packages of skittles for your child's class, but you can send chocolate. You can't send cupcakes (unless they are icing-free), but you can send brownies. What kind of sense does that make? It's all just as bad. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>swankboutiq

05/20/04 07:27 AM(#12 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Isn't that scary about the school districts??? They get $$$$ to keep that stuff in the schools, the schools are desperate for money so they do it. PE classes for the elementary school are once every two weeks instead of every day like they were when I was a kid. Welcome to California.

Also, and this could be a long shot - SSRI's????

I know I gained 40 pounds on one.

Sam's Club, Costco???? </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>finallywildf05/20/04 09:41 AM(#13 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Swank I definitly think you are on to something.Everyone that I now that is/was on an ssri has gained.Obviosly not a scientific theory, but i'd be intersted to see a tudy on that.Wonder if thats the drug companies dirty litle secret?

All posteres have made valid points when I go to get my daughter from school it's sad to see that about half are overweight. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>dances_with_

05/20/04 10:04 AM(#14 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>OMG - so glad I was munching my bowl of raisin bran when I read this post!

Liquid sugar - sodas and sweet drinks. I mean they don't fill you up so you can eat even more food items bloated with calories since sugar stimulates your appetite.

Supersize meals

More processed food - ever tried to shop supra healthy at the store? Not just a section anymore for junk food (chips) but entire rows devoted to the delicacies.

Growth hormone in meat

Our acute vision - we are affected by those pizza ads but may not recogize our cravings are a result from watching them. But I love my pizza cravings. LOL

And yes, I love and relish my spicy chicken sandwhich from McDonalds. http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/silly.gif

But it is frustrating to go to the grocery store to get whole foods (AK). Even the health food section has different types of fat free this and low carb that. Whole food please! *Moooooooooooo* http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/laugh.gif </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>dances_(209http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/icon/IconTealStar_25x25.gif) (view author's auctions)

05/20/04 10:09 AM(#15 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Commercials that give the viewer a different association when they are consuming their product.

When you're eating that big supersize fat, fat, fat goody from the you know where - you are not eating that big supersize .... la la la - you're lovin' it. http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/shocked.gif </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>lily*

05/20/04 12:52 PM(#17 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Well, I can't speak for America, but I can tell you why I gained weight (and have lost it and gained it and lost it). When I met my husband, I wore a size 6/8, but most of the time a size 8. I exercised loyally 4-6 days per week for about two hours each day. When we started dating we would go out to dinner and split a meal. Gradually I went from exercising that much to not at all or only in spurts. As time went by, he and I also stopped splitting entrees when we'd go out - and we all know how large portions are in restaurants. Basically, I went from being a picture of health to mushy.

Once again, I am losing weight. I have pretty much stuck to an exercise regimen for this entire year - the five months that have passed, anyway. And that in itself is an improvement because usually what happens is I will exercise loyally for about 3 or 4 weeks and then one day something will come up and I won't, and then for some reason, I just don't get back into it again for a few weeks.

I think something else that happened is the FDA's food pyramid. Most people who eat according to the food pyramid will gain weight. I'm one of those people...I could eat exactly according to the food pyramid, staying within all its guidelines, including calorie count and still gain weight. I've found what works best for me is low-carb eating, exercise, and LOTS of water.

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>jetscream

05/20/04 01:06 PM(#18 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Blueazures,

WOW! I don't even know what to think about that. There is absolutely no way the parents in this school district would tolerate anyone telling them what they could and could not pack in a lunch. Thinking back though, I do remember when WE were not allowed to send soft drinks to school. Go figure.

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>ccp166

05/20/04 07:01 PM(#19 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif

</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>I hate to get up on my soap box but......MARKETING!! There is a cartoon/super hero character on almost every brand of junk food out there. And kids love that stuff. Mine included. We HAVE To get the juice boxes with Winne the Pooh or Elmo on them. I don't know what I am going to do when they realize I've been diluting them with waterhttp://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/happy.gif

Lilygarden

Your right about the food pyramid. The FDA calls white bread a grain.

If we all went back to the days when food was a necesity and not luxury I think we would see a big slimming down of americans. Simple meals of friuts and veggies might do us a lot of good.

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>i.bark.for.

05/20/04 09:42 PM(#20 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Processed foods & lack of exercise play a huge role. If we were to eat foods in their natural state, we would be much healthier & could eat WAY more food. When we eat packaged foods, they usually have a list of ingredients (preservatives & additives) a mile long- most of which I can't even pronounce! I lost 40lbs. seventeen years ago by simply changing my eating habits & have kept it off. I can eat so much more food now without gaining weight.

My neice started eating this way last October & has now lost 55lbs. It's been very easy for her , too. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>opulenthealt05/21/04 12:29 AM(#21 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>We are just to well off in this country. Food is everywhere, so is technology that makes us even more lazy. Compound that with the fact most Americans do not exercise at all, and you have most people overweight.

Eat less sugary foods, eat more whole foods, and exercise. Losing weight is as simple as burning more calories than you consume. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>my_cats_snipe_for)

05/21/04 06:02 AM(#22 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Age does it, too.

A year or so ago, over a period of about 4 months, I gained 20 pounds. I was always thin and could eat anything I wanted at any time of the day (or night!). Always had a high metabolism.

I started a new job. My old job had me walking up and down a flight of stairs I swear at least 40 times a day. Now I sit in front of a computer all day. I am sure that's what helped a lot--I am not fat by any means but I sure dont feel as good as I used to.

I live on the third floor of an apartment complex and am literally gasping for air at the top. Sometimes feel like I cant make that last flight.

Decreasing calorie intake helped absolutely none. You have GOT to exercise. I tried to utilize the workout room at our apt complex but never stayed over 20min because I thought I was going to pass out. Now I am working myself up to it--I am walking every chance I get (we have a park nearby with a walk path.)

Your only chance is to burn the calories that come in--simply decreasing the amount does not work.

This is not intended for anyone who has a metabolism disorder or eating disorder that causes them to be large.

All the advice here is great! The low carb diets dont work for everyone, just like the high carb diets dont. Everyone's body is different. Lots of fiber is the best advice I can give! And less saturated fats, especially trans. When you must eat fats, choose things like real butter over spread or margarine. That Parkay butter spray is great (no fat! as long as you dont spray and spray and spray...) Avoid the 'partially hydrogenated' stuff. And read the nutrition labels and pay attention to portion sizes they quote. If you notice a package change on some regular stuff you buy, double check the nutrition labels!!! They may have changed the portion size, or amt of servings per container. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>my_cats_snipe_for_

05/21/04 06:03 AM(#23 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>I forgot to add about my 'age' comment that my mom was the same way til she hit 40...she told me I wouldnt always be able to eat the way I did--and she was right! </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>jetscreameryoua

05/21/04 08:02 AM(#24 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Our bodies undergo so many changes in our 40's.

Over a very short period of time I found I had gained 10 pounds, for no apparent reason.

Our metabolisms change. Therefore we have to adjust how we eat and stay active.

For over 2 years now, I have been back at a comfortable 120. I exercise almost daily, and yes, I do watch those carbs. </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>dances_with_robo

05/21/04 09:14 AM(#25 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>There are so many chemicals in modern processed food that it's mind boggling to analyze what body processes may be inhibited or accelerated because of that.

I believe whole foods have the innate intelligence of the creator and the wisdom and instruction contained within to bring the body into balance.

I'm still in the process of changing my dietary habits but I'm closer than I've ever been. A strong immune system and a healthy body can take care of pesky toxins and chemicals. A body that is loved and nourished has a completely different vibe to it. The body truly is a temple.

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>hlcrose

05/21/04 12:47 PM(#26 of 79) http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/en/advise.gif</TD><TR><TD>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>I am from Victoria BC Canada.

I love coming here to talk to people http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/happy.gif We don't have a Health and Beauty board in the Canada EBAY.. I don't know why...but I really love coming here http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/happy.gif

I am happy msealwing posted this topic.

Just last week, I saw an IHOP commercial on FOX, instead of chicken salad.. now they put the whole sirloin steak (cut into strips) in salad... WHAT IS THAT??!!!

It's just a way to make people think they are eating health... if you look close to every menu and commercial.. people eat lots meat but very very few vegetables.

Fast food is a problem... McDoncalds is not an occasional treat for kids anymore!! Fries... soda... everything is cooked in animal fat too.

Most companies use lots white sugar and animal fat for flavouring.. because it's cheap... cost is low and that's how they make money. If you have ever read about white sugar... white sugar is PURE JUNK!! Refined white sugar, table salt, animal fat.. these type of stuff are all bad for you and would make you fat.

Don't even talk about the chemical they put in food nowadays... OMG!!!

Before I met my boyfriend, I have been trying to lose weight for years!! My weight isn't heavy but I just look really chubby. It was so hard to lose weight and whenever I lost tiny bit of weight... I gained it back fast!!

I learned a lot about healthy diet, natural food .. etc from him.. and I learned to read the ingredients list on the product... !!

I am now wearing Size 0 -1 pants~~ my boyfriend is a vegetarian but I am not.. I am almost a vegatarian but not quite.. I still eat meat sometimes.. but I lost weight and even feel more healthy... !!

Eating healthy makes big differences~~

I can go on and on about eating healthy food.. lol.. I already typed a lot and hope I didn't tire you guys out from reading it.. :p /emoticons/tongue@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I can post more information later if you guys like http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/happy.gif

Thanks http://forums.ebay.com/db2/images/emoticons/happy.gif </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Interesting indeed..It's all true sadly
 
Joined
Apr 20, 2004
Messages
791
Reaction score
0
It is soooo sad!!! - if you ask me! I have tried so many diets and I think that yo-yo dieting is what has me at this unfavorable weight I try every diet out there only to find that nothing works.

 
Joined
Feb 17, 2004
Messages
1,992
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by shoediva It is soooo sad!!! - if you ask me! I have tried so many diets and I think that yo-yo dieting is what has me at this unfavorable weight I try every diet out there only to find that nothing works. Shoes, have you tried cutting only 100 calories per day and walking 3x's a week? In about 5-6 months you'll be needing new pants.
I've also been reading about people cutting out sugars and losing tons of weight. Then again, some folks are meant to be slim and some aren't. It all comes back to just being healthy period. I've also noticed that some women have kids and lose the weight easily whereas others don't.

I also believe that there are some overweight people who are blamed for it when it's not their fault. Our society is VERY tough. We've always idolized the hardest things to get (ie a size '0' body, blonde hair, money, fame, etc.).

Now I want a burger. LOL! xoxo



 
Joined
Apr 18, 2004
Messages
572
Reaction score
0
This one had me rolling, lol years ago someone told me that I tended to hold a few extra pounds because I am short -- I just looked at them...LOL --- what do they think ? Do they think we all get the same amount of body fat and skin and it stretches better on taller people ??? LOL - LOL !

 
Joined
Feb 17, 2004
Messages
1,992
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by SmartStyle437 This one had me rolling, lol
years ago someone told me that I tended to hold a few extra pounds because I am short -- I just looked at them...LOL --- what do they think ? Do they think we all get the same amount of body fat and skin and it stretches better on taller people ??? LOL - LOL !

... well you know what they say...Short people GOT nobody

short people Got nobody

Short People GOT nobody to loooooovvvve!

hey wait, I'm only 5 ft 4 and 3/4" . Aw hell.

 
Top