Quantcast

Why is MAC so popular?

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Scarlette

Obsessed with lipstick
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
902
Reaction score
3
Location
Bay Area, California
Hello guys and gals...

I have a question to ask of everyone. Totally honestly, openly. What's so great about MAC?

I've talked to a wide range of people over the years about why they like or dislike MAC.

Things I don't like about it:

Most of the time, you can tell someone is wearing MAC just by looking at their face. Heavy pigmented eyeshadows, some very matte, dramatic, powdery look. Studio Fix is a dead on giveaway when I look at the skin. The lipsticks are always in odd colors, some are just too matte and dry looking. I've found lipsticks that I LOVE From MAC, but the texture isn't comfortable. I believe MAC is great for going out, pictures, stage, etc, but not for everyday. My dermotologist does not recommend MAC at all, she's heard too many stories about facial breakouts. Eyeshadows do crease easily, even with a good base. Stuff is always discontinued. Don't know about your local MAC stores, but the employees are very snobby and rude. I worked at MAC today for one hour and I wanted to cry. I couldn't believe how the customers were treated.

Things I do like:

They always have something new, but that causes discontinuation of some good older products. I look forward to the new "looks" and going through the look book is always fun. A lot of variety as far a color goes. Pretty colors with a lot of glittery effects. Recycle programs and charity programs. The eyelashes are great quality.

I honestly wish that MAC didn't feel so heavy. I like a lot of the colors and the coverage of the powders, but seems too thick for someone with sensitive skin like me! I would totally be a MAC girl for life if I didn't feel every speck of makeup on my face.

I am just curious to know other opinions about this brand and why it's so popular. Please chime in!

 
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
22,667
Reaction score
441
Location
Huntington Beach, CA
Hi Scarlette! Welcome to MakeupTalk! I see you have had some fun with the Beauty Goddess






Originally Posted by Scarlette

Hello guys and gals...
I have a question to ask of everyone. Totally honestly, openly. What's so great about MAC?

I've talked to a wide range of people over the years about why they like or dislike MAC.

Things I don't like about it:

Most of the time, you can tell someone is wearing MAC just by looking at their face. Heavy pigmented eyeshadows, some very matte, dramatic, powdery look. Studio Fix is a dead on giveaway when I look at the skin. The lipsticks are always in odd colors, some are just too matte and dry looking. I've found lipsticks that I LOVE From MAC, but the texture isn't comfortable. I believe MAC is great for going out, pictures, stage, etc, but not for everyday. My dermotologist does not recommend MAC at all, she's heard too many stories about facial breakouts. Eyeshadows do crease easily, even with a good base. Stuff is always discontinued. Don't know about your local MAC stores, but the employees are very snobby and rude. I worked at MAC today for one hour and I wanted to cry. I couldn't believe how the customers were treated.

Things I do like:

They always have something new, but that causes discontinuation of some good older products. I look forward to the new "looks" and going through the look book is always fun. A lot of variety as far a color goes. Pretty colors with a lot of glittery effects. Recycle programs and charity programs. The eyelashes are great quality.

I honestly wish that MAC didn't feel so heavy. I like a lot of the colors and the coverage of the powders, but seems too thick for someone with sensitive skin like me! I would totally be a MAC girl for life if I didn't feel every speck of makeup on my face.

I am just curious to know other opinions about this brand and why it's so popular. Please chime in!





 

Geek2

Administrator
Admin
Joined
Sep 27, 2003
Messages
11,114
Reaction score
4,213
Welcome to MakeupTalk Scarlette! This is a great question about MAC.

Things I don't like:

Studiofix too heavy and caused me breakouts. Won't ever use it againg. Some of the lipsticks are a bit too drying for me.

Things I do like:

Color selection is great especially for lip glosses. Prolash mascara is great value and doensn't give me racoon eyes.

 
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Messages
2,230
Reaction score
0
I love MAC!


I must disagree with you that MAC e/s are bad. I love that they're pigmented, and I do not find them to look heavy or powdery. They blend right in with my skin. I always use an e/s base, and these never, ever crease or fade on me. I've actually found some HG e/s within this line, and that's mainly why I like MAC. I also love their lipglasses and lustre lipsticks, as well as their eye kohls, blushes, and brushes.

I don't like their Studiofix, simply because it broke me out and got oily way too fast. I haven't tried any of their other face makeup besides Blot Powder, which I love, so I can't say I dislike their whole line of face stuff.

I think MAC is popular because their is a wide range of shades in both the color cosmetics and face cosmetics, and it's easily available and affordable.

 

Scarlette

Obsessed with lipstick
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
902
Reaction score
3
Location
Bay Area, California
Hmm.. thanks for the interesting replies! I see that most of us don't like to use the foundation because of breakouts. So why does this information seem so untrue:

"Secondly, all of the MAC product range are non acne genic and oil free. This, unlike other make up products reduces the risk of blocked pores and therefore spots and other skin problems. This is especially important to acne prone customers, as the products are specifically tested to ensure that they will not add to problem when worn. The products also contain moisture replenishes which are contained in natural oils for example orange and jojoba. Therefore the skin is being replenished whilst the makeup is being worn."

I have to totally disagree with this. 90% of my clients experience breakouts with any MAC foundation or powder. I don't understand how they can label it non acne genic and oil free. I've asked a few MAC stores about the vegetable oil in their products and they said it's a "good" oil.. but how can they say it's oil free if there IS oil!? Weird.

 
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Messages
2,230
Reaction score
0
I think Studiofix is a real hit or miss with most people. People either love it or hate it.

I haven't tried any of their other foundations, but I've heard good things about the Select Tint. My best friend has it and loves it, and she's very acne-prone. I've been thinking about trying it or Px Traceless for summer.

And about the oil... I don't break out from all oils. I can use things that contain mineral oil with no problem (think Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse), and I use grapeseed and jojoba oils as moisturizers. However, I break out horribly from things loaded with silicones (yes, CG TruBlend and L'oreal True Match... I'm talking to you!).

I think as with anything people's experiences with MAC foundations will vary. I have heard good and bad things about them, but the bad is enough to scare me away from really trying much in the way of their foundations. I've had good experiences with other lines and will probably stick to them.

 
Joined
May 30, 2004
Messages
394
Reaction score
0
You think MAC make up artist are mean? Go to Clinique during their gift with purchase. They are really mean and nasty. I know, I worked for them. I lasted a year and would never go back.

I love MAC because of their wide range of colors. I don't use their foundations because I don't wear foundation. I do like everything else.

With any cosmetics line, you are either going to love it or hate it.

 
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Messages
2,255
Reaction score
1
Hi Scarlette and welcome to MuT! I have been wondering the very same thing about MAC and ime so glad you asked the question. I will be interested in the replies.

Incidentlay i have a friend who uses MAC and when we were gettiong ready for our night out, i asked her 'Simone, what's so good about MAC'? She told me the reason she likes and uses it, is becuase it has good colors for black skin, and more range than any other brands. I suggested she might like to try IMAN which is also great quality and is designed for all shade of skin from yellow to black.

 
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
Messages
1,631
Reaction score
0
i often wonder the same thing. personally, i don't find them appealing @ all, but think their success is driven by both price point & a VAST variety of shades--for eyes, lips & skin.

 
Joined
May 30, 2004
Messages
394
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by candy Hi Scarlette and welcome to MuT! I have been wondering the very same thing about MAC and ime so glad you asked the question. I will be interested in the replies.Incidentlay i have a friend who uses MAC and when we were gettiong ready for our night out, i asked her 'Simone, what's so good about MAC'? She told me the reason she likes and uses it, is becuase it has good colors for black skin, and more range than any other brands. I suggested she might like to try IMAN which is also great quality and is designed for all shade of skin from yellow to black.

As a woman of color (African American/Black), just because a cosmetic line is by someone of color doesn't always means it's the best for you.
 

Scarlette

Obsessed with lipstick
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
902
Reaction score
3
Location
Bay Area, California
I just love Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse, the coverage is incredible and I do not need to use powder. I suggest this to the Studio Fix customers who want to use something that gives that matte look without the pimples.

haha.. yes, the MAC associates in my region are horrible. "What do you want?" is not appropriate to ask a customer. They are mean where I work. I have customers who are too scared to shop there. I think it's a California thing. You must have an " I don't care" attitude to get a job there. I agree that Clinique associates are moody during gift, I don't believe in "gift" time, I believe in samples with purchase.

 
Joined
Dec 26, 2003
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Scarlette Hello guys and gals...
I have a question to ask of everyone. Totally honestly, openly. What's so great about MAC?

I've talked to a wide range of people over the years about why they like or dislike MAC.

Things I don't like about it:

Most of the time, you can tell someone is wearing MAC just by looking at their face. Heavy pigmented eyeshadows, some very matte, dramatic, powdery look. Studio Fix is a dead on giveaway when I look at the skin. The lipsticks are always in odd colors, some are just too matte and dry looking. I've found lipsticks that I LOVE From MAC, but the texture isn't comfortable. I believe MAC is great for going out, pictures, stage, etc, but not for everyday. My dermotologist does not recommend MAC at all, she's heard too many stories about facial breakouts. Eyeshadows do crease easily, even with a good base. Stuff is always discontinued. Don't know about your local MAC stores, but the employees are very snobby and rude. I worked at MAC today for one hour and I wanted to cry. I couldn't believe how the customers were treated.

Things I do like:

They always have something new, but that causes discontinuation of some good older products. I look forward to the new "looks" and going through the look book is always fun. A lot of variety as far a color goes. Pretty colors with a lot of glittery effects. Recycle programs and charity programs. The eyelashes are great quality.

I honestly wish that MAC didn't feel so heavy. I like a lot of the colors and the coverage of the powders, but seems too thick for someone with sensitive skin like me! I would totally be a MAC girl for life if I didn't feel every speck of makeup on my face.

I am just curious to know other opinions about this brand and why it's so popular. Please chime in!

Good post! I'm pretty neutral when it comes to MAC cosmetics. I don't like or dislike the line. The eyeshadows are boring except for the shimmery stuff, which I will not wear. Its best suited for evening looks and that would be a waste of money. I agree the powders look too matte looking. You can control how much you put on though. I think MAC excels in the lipsticks though. They really have some good shades. But then so does NYC and Wet & Wild for a lot less.
 
Joined
Jun 17, 2004
Messages
1,184
Reaction score
0
mac studio fix is my aboslute holy grail foundation! i have had no problems with break outs at all. mac is one of the two lines that i have found with a foundation color that matches my very yellow skin tone exactly. the foundation formulas and colors vary so much that any skin tone or shade can be matched.

i *love* the eye shadows. ive never had a creasing problem at all, even with the matte shadows. i really like how often they come out with new color collections. ive never had a favorite product discontinued, thankfully.

the main reasons i like mac are that they have a huge color selection, excellent quality, and a low price. they also offer very unique products (helloooo pigments!) and plenty of items other brands just dont make.

i know everyone has their ow opinion, but if i had to choose just one brand to use from now on, it would be mac.

 
Joined
Nov 26, 2004
Messages
237
Reaction score
0
Mainly, I think MAC is so popular b/c of the wide range of colors & textures they offer, along with a lower pricepoint.

I've never had a problem with any MAC e/s as long as use a base. Yes, some of their textures feel nicer than others, but I can get them all to work just fine. I think that tools & technique make a big difference in this area.

Their foundations are ok, depending on your skin. It's great that they have so many color options. I used the Select (the liquid one) for a little while with no problems. I think a lot of people converting from drugstore brands try MAC first b/c it's affordable. Compared to most drugstore foundations, I think MAC probably isn't that bad; it certainly isn't anything worth raving about, though.

I also have never had a problem with their lipsticks. I really like the Amplified formula.

However, the more I use other brands, the less & less MAC appeals to me. I was definitely a MAC-a-holic for a little while b/c of the huge assortment of colors they offer. After a while, I just found myself reaching for my Urban Decay, and other e/s brands far more often than my MAC. I think I just prefer the texture of other e/s brands.

I'll still use the MAC that I have, but I definitely won't be getting more for awhile. Unless, they release some new item that rocks my socks!

 
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
10,844
Reaction score
0
I personally have never owned any MAC products... I guess I just thought they were a bit overpriced. I tired a friends lipgloss, and I thought it was too sticky and goopy for my likings... so I just really haven't shopped at MAC - I buy most of my stuff at Ulta, and they don't carry MAC there, so I haven't had the chance to hunt around thru their products... and at Macy's there are like 10 SA's and maybe 1 customer, so they all eye you like fresh prey... LOL I dunno, maybe I'll eventually try something one day, but if I find something similar, or better for 1/2 the price... why bother? LOL


 
Joined
May 6, 2004
Messages
10,943
Reaction score
0
How did i miss this thread until now? What a great read girls.. I have likes & dislikes from MAC. I do like their eyeshadow selection. I love that they have so many beautiful colors. I do find though, that if i don't use a base with them, they'll only last about 2 hours (which IMO is real bad).. I've never tried any of their face products besides 1 blush (Peachykeen) & i do really like the blush. To be honest, i've never really wanted to try their foundation because i'm always hearing of people breaking out from them so i think i'll stick to my Lancome Adaptive for now.

One last thing, i like their prices! Well their prices in the USA anyway. I have to buy most of my MAC eyeshadows online because they are outrageously (sp?) priced here in Ireland. We pay €15 for an eyeshadow which converts to $19. So i buy my eyeshadows online usually on strawberrynet.com for €12

 
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
22,667
Reaction score
441
Location
Huntington Beach, CA
Ok I can answer it!!! SUBSCRIBE or I'll put the irishflag avatar backup! lol







Originally Posted by Laura

How did i miss this thread until now? What a great read girls.. I have likes & dislikes from MAC. I do like their eyeshadow selection. I love that they have so many beautiful colors. I do find though, that if i don't use a base with them, they'll only last about 2 hours (which IMO is real bad).. I've never tried any of their face products besides 1 blush (Peachykeen) & i do really like the blush. To be honest, i've never really wanted to try their foundation because i'm always hearing of people breaking out from them so i think i'll stick to my Lancome Adaptive for now.
One last thing, i like their prices! Well their prices in the USA anyway. I have to buy most of my MAC eyeshadows online because they are outrageously (sp?) priced here in Ireland. We pay €15 for an eyeshadow which converts to $19. So i buy my eyeshadows online usually on strawberrynet.com for €12





 
Joined
May 6, 2004
Messages
10,943
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Ok I can answer it!!! SUBSCRIBE or I'll put the irishflag avatar backup! lol


LMAO! Well actually mr. smarty pants.. how could have i subscribed to this thread if i didn't post here to begin with?
 
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
22,667
Reaction score
441
Location
Huntington Beach, CA
Ahhh ha!! YOu really want me to answer that???? LOL Guess what, you CAN INDEED subscribe to forums that you have not posted to :)





Originally Posted by Laura

LMAO! Well actually mr. smarty pants.. how could have i subscribed to this thread if i didn't post here to begin with?



 
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
3,815
Reaction score
0
I believe many people find the large variety of colors attractive. Yes, they generally have something for everyone.

The MA's can very often be rude, and must realise that they are there to help the customer. This is something that should not be tolerated, simply ask for the Store Manager. Once while completing a back to MAC, the MA referred to me as a "Pack Rat." When I left the counter, I went upstairs to Customer Service and asked for the Store Manager. This was Nordstrom and no time was wasted. He apologized, offered my choice of another item at store cost and immediately summoned the employee to his office.

The only items that I now use from MAC are the lip/lustre glasses(with my recent Loreal HIP gloss discovery, this may soon change), I've returned to my minerals.

I've been a MAC customer since their beginning and see a pattern that is not too pleasant. The quality of MAC is changing and it's not necessarily for the better. These people must remember that trends don't last, and this is what MAC is becoming.

 

Latest posts

Top