Why is MAC so popular?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the reason i like mac is #1 price is reasonable and the color selection is good i love there lipglass and im not a lipstick girl so i dont know i like there eye shadows and mostly everything what i dont like is there foundation it looks cakey fake unless you blend blend blend some days im in a hurry although i love face&body its foul proof and i like the studio finish satin which was discountinued the powders are nice and they match me well as far as them being rude i guess you get that any where so i pick my product and leave no fear here

i havent tried anything from mac except for the glear lipglass which i bought years ago and still have it ! i really really wish i could blow 13.50 on an e/s but i just cant see my self paying that kind of money for such a smallllll tiny amount, just doesnt balance out to me! however i will spend 14 on lipglass because its worth it! i like the thick sticky ones, they last longer to me! i'd prefer to spend lots of money and get lots rather then spend tons of money and only seem to get 4 products!

I have mixed feelings about MAC. I love the blacktrack fluidline, because it is the only eyeliner that stays on my eyelids. I do like their eyeshadows, but as others have said w/ out a base they slide off fast! I have not tried any of their foundations, but I am kind of scared to since it breaks a lot of people out. I think the reason they appeal to so many people is the diversity, the textures, and that things are always changing.

I would have to agree that the MAC employees (not all of them) but some of them in my area are rude rude rude! I also agree that $13.50 for one tiny eyeshadow is WAY too much money. I do like their products because they have some pretty neat colors in eyeshadow. I wish I could find something cheaper that I really like!

Originally Posted by luxotika /img/forum/go_quote.gif I would have to agree that the MAC employees (not all of them) but some of them in my area are rude rude rude! I also agree that $13.50 for one tiny eyeshadow is WAY too much money. I do like their products because they have some pretty neat colors in eyeshadow. I wish I could find something cheaper that I really like! I'd suggest that you try NYX. A variety of colors, well pigmented and a decent price. Search NYX, they are mentioned in several threads.

'They say that variety is the spice of life...and it truly is when it comes to MAC! That's what I love the brand for, And I appreciate the fact that they realize that women (and men!) come in different shades and hues. I'm not an addict in the sense that I run out and buy every single item from every single collection, but I do admire the brand.

I pic and choose what I feel out if their makeup and I'm selective when I do it. I refuse to pay so much money for one lipgloss and eyeshadow (well..until I get a PRO card
lol.gif
) so for now I stick to what I can afford (NYX, Milani, Palladio, Revlon). I'd rather spend the cash on the multipurpose items and stuff I can use forever (pigments, paints, ccbs). I did just buy a liner (Chestnut) but I couldn't resist...it goes on so smoothly
lol.gif

And as far the MAs, just ignore the mean ones! I dont neglect other brands but MAC is currently one of my favs
smile.gif
So thats why I like MAC.

I love MAC except for the prices. My dad nearly had a heart attack when I walked out the store with only 4 things but it came up to almost 60 bucks. But I love that the e/s are very pigmented, very good quality in my opinion. I never knew what MAC was til I came here and at first I thought it was all hype, but I'm addicted now

People ask me this question a lot in person. Every time I take out my pressed powder or my lipstick. But my fav is when people compliment me on the colors I use, and when they ask I tell them its MAC and they talk about how they think their products are over rated. Okie Doke. Thats fine, and to a certain point, I agree. but this is the best I can afford for now.

I'm not a big fan of MAC face make-up, the colors are way too rudimentary for me. They are either pink or very orangy on my complexion. I think its amazing that you can tell when someone is wearing MAC. I'm not saying that to be sarcastic at all, that certainly is an interesting gift. But personally, I've seen both good and bad make-up jobs with their products. I remember when I worked at a department store, I rang up this one girl who has the most beautiful complexion and the prettiest, most artistically applied make-up I have seen in a long time. When I asked her what it was, she said it was all MAC. I just couldn't help but think "Damn, I wish I could get my make-up to look like that., and I use mostly MAC too..." I think it all comes down to application in the end. You can artfully apply department store and drugstore make-up and have it look great. But personally I do enjoy the type of pigmentation I get from their products (in terms of their "color" makeup like lipstick and eyeshadow)

As for the cranky MA syndrome, I have yet to encounter that *knocks on wood*. I've met some that are somewhat neglectful, but I have never been ignored or treated badly. Maybe its the blue hair that keeps me from not being noticed, but even in my chestnut brown days when I was younger, I still didn't get that. It really bummed me out when I read about those kinds of experiences and makes me kinda cautious when going to their stores or counters. But yeah, thats one thing I can't relate to just yet.

So yeah, my feelings towards all that are kinda mixed. In the end its jsut my preference I guess. I might have bad taste for all I know, but for right now, I think I look ok lol
sunshine.gif

i literally have never used MAC at all, I am such a newby to all of this. Hm, good for an evening out or a photoshoot? I am not contemplating either one for a good while now. But it's nice to know!

I think I will go to a MAC site just so I can read up...for instance, what is a look-book? (stop giggling, please.) It would be nice to know how people in magazines and on TV get that flawless look, and it would be cool to see if I could affect something similar for myself if I am having a special night out with Mikie my husband...or if we are taking some professional pictures.

this is a good topic, I hope you all find my naiivete refreshing and amusing instead of sounding silly and daft. heck, the most expensive MU I usually buy isn't much more than Max factor or Clinique both of which I really love and would recommend any-time!

i love macs eyepencils...the only ones that actually stay n combat humidity, heat n sun...LOve em

the glosses are a bit too sticky(heavy) for my liking..

havent tried the powder but my friend swears by it...They've got all the colours in the world..thats wat so great abt em :)

I sometimes wonder the same thing about MAC.

I HATE shopping in MAC stores because I have been treated badly and downright ignored. I really do think part of it is a California thing because when I used to live in TN, the MA's there were friendly.

I can't use Studiofix because it broke me out really badly. I guess my first appeal to MAC was the wide variety of foundation colors since I am a naturally tanned asian.

I DO have to say though, I love their fluidline liner because that is the only thing that stays on my eyelids. I also like a lot of their lipglosses although they can sometimes be a tad sticky.

I really think MAC is popular because celebrities use it- which in turn makes them trendy to use. They are also considered a brand who tries cool new things- like their new barbie loves mac line which ppl are crazy for right now. Also, people know they have diversity in colors for skintones.

So...as for myself, I don't go to MAC stores and I do think they are overrated. With the exception of fluidline, I don't buy much else from them. But just like everything else people have their own taste, and lots of people really like mac
wink.gif

interesting thread. I've never seen it b4, thanx for bumpin' it up
biggrin.gif

It's an interesting question to ponder because I'm really not sure myself. I started using it because that was *the* brand to try in HS, when it was first getting big. I used to use the Studio Fix powder and sometimes noticed a burning sensation on my cheeks. Luckily one day a Stila SA pulled me aside and showed me how good I could look with just concealer and pressed powder (this was before they had the powder foundation that I now use religiously). I love MAC eyeshadows and find they're one of the few I can use without needing a base. I also really like their lipsticks -- "O" is one of my favorites. I really only use MAC's eyeshadows, lipsticks, and a couple lipglasses, but I've recently discovered their MSFs and I like those fairly well, too. I've lived without MAC for years as well. I think MAC is a fun line that encourages people to try out crazy looks and express themselves, but I also think there are other lines out there that are just as good or better.

Oh, and the MAs are usually really mean around here, but lately they've been pretty nice. Usually when I go to the MAC counter or store I feel like I'm on the defensive and I almost always get ignored even though I'm actively looking at products. Actually, most stores I go in I'm actively ignored while people just standing around staring off are asked over and over if they need help. I'm standing there like "Yes, Pick Me!! I have a question, I need help!"

I think you bring up a very valid question, Scarlette.

The thing that is most appealing about MAC is the the wide range of colors.

There's a color out there for just about everyone. As far as the makeup world is concerned, they are the trendsetters, and everyone else is busy trying to play catch-up! They meant it when they said Every Age, Every Sex, Every Race (it may not be verbatim, nor in the correct order, but I think I'm close).

My experiences with MAC have been rather delightful, and I have to say that I enjoy wearing products that apply true to color instead of having barely any color to work with at all! I find that the products stay EXACTLY where I put them, and do not budge unless I want them to, which is a huge bonus for me.

I've noticed that every time I wear MAC, I get tons of compliments on my look and I have people constantly asking me where I got the color.

As for the foundations, I've never really had a problem with them, and I find with a damp sponge (or a big fluffy applicator), and decent blending that I have a nice, even base from which to work. I've gotten compliments when I've worn MAC, and the foundation I was wearing at the time happened to be Studio Fix believe it or not! (I do believe that it's a product that's either take or leave with some people, as it causes some really nasty breakouts on people. )

As for MAC employees, I will admit that I did run into at least ONE person who was a bit snooty, but the rest have been rather pleasant - and quite helpful.

There are also some people who work for MAC who frequent these threads, and they are also very kind, decent, and very sweet people.

Last, but certainly not least - the price. For a high end brand, I would say the price is fairly decent. It's always good to start small, and build from there...

In my opinion, I think MAC is still a decent company, and I still say that they still have some really amazing products that continue to remain staples in many makeup cases (and trains), whether people want to admit or not.

I love how many colors they have

But I don't really like how much they are pigmeted its way to much for me

And I agree some of the stuff is too much for everyday use

I also really on use MAC for the plays I do make up for

That is really good for that.

Buying MAC in the USA is a different thing to buying MAC in the UK. Over here they carry half the range of shades, completely don't get some limited edition lines, and charge you nearly twice as much money.

Given that, although I'm not hugely disappointed with the one or two MAC products I've got, I've got other products from other brands that I'm very happy with. MAC suffers in comparison. So, if I want to spend a bit of money I'll stick with Urban Decay, Benefit, Lancome or Smashbox.

I've always bought "drugstore" makeup (I have hundreds of items!) and the odd "designer/higher-priced" item here and there. I've only been buying MAC a few months as I can now afford it and to be honest, I rarely use anything else now.

I used to have a problem with foundations where they didn't last long, they didn't blend well etc etc so eventually I stopped wearing it altogether. My first thing from MAC was a foundation and I love it - great texture but most of all, it makes my freckles appear less obvious (which is something I've always wanted from a foundation lol!)

I also love pigments, paints and lipsticks though the foundation had definitely been my best investment yet from mac.

I do agree with you though, MAC isn't for everyone whether it be the vibrant colours, or whatever
smile.gif

*IEDIT* I also think the assistants can be really rude. There's only two places in NE England that sell MAC, both of which happen to be the highest priced and 'snobbiest' stores around here. Anyway, the MA's in the store i usually go to for MAC are generally stuck-up and patronising. The first time I ever went to their counter, all four MA's were huddled round the mirror doing their makeup and when I asked for help, they just ignored me. There are two really nice girls there though that are always friendly and always offer help with anything...it's a shame they aren't all like that.

sheep.gif

Originally Posted by ms_sunlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif Buying MAC in the USA is a different thing to buying MAC in the UK. Over here they carry half the range of shades, completely don't get some limited edition lines, and charge you nearly twice as much money.
Given that, although I'm not hugely disappointed with the one or two MAC products I've got, I've got other products from other brands that I'm very happy with. MAC suffers in comparison. So, if I want to spend a bit of money I'll stick with Urban Decay, Benefit, Lancome or Smashbox.

I agree - I've been disappointed a couple of times when I've seen a really nice shade of pigment or whatever, only to find it doesn't even exist in this country. Also, a lot of things I really want to buy can only be bought from MAC pro, which means I'd have to go down to London if I was truly desperate for the item
scared.gif

I've never had any disappointments with MAC yet. I really dont want any to start. So far I love everything about them - from my consumer point of view.

Although I really dislike the foundations, everything else I've tried is pretty good. I love the eyeshadows, powder blushes (HG for me) and fluidlines, another HG. I've never had a problem with snobbiness either and I've been there many times.

Back