Your First Name

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is it?

Rheisa

How do you pronounce it?

"Ray-ee-sa" is how it's s'posed to be, Most ppl say "Ree-sa" - I gave up at 7 cuz trinis don't pronounce nothing right in the first place...

Origin of name?

It's an Arabic name meaning "beloved"

Are you named after someone/something?

A character in a book mum was reading while she was pregnant...

Do you like your name?

I've grown attached to it, been hearing it for so long....

If you could change your name, what would you change it to?

Never thought of that b4. Don't think I wanna change it. When I was younger tho, Apparently I wanted to be called "Asha Bread-nut" WTF?

What is it? Mary

How do you pronounce it? MARE-ree or the southern version, MAY-ree

Origin of name? biblical

Are you named after someone/something? Yep, heres the list as far back as I know-

Maria Sylvia (great grandma)

Maria Guadalupe (grandmother)

Mary Ellen (mom)

Mary Alicia (me)

Mary Hannah (my oldest daughter.)

Do you like your name? Yes

If you could change your name, what would you change it to? I wouldn't.

What is it?

Olga

How do you pronounce it?

ALL-gah

Origin of name?

As far as i know it is russian and it means "sacred woman".

No, i have no idea what was my father thinking when he named me that.

Do you like your name?

Argh! nooooooooo! it has nothing to do with me, a puertorrican girl with a russian name?! Insane!

Isabel or Paulina would've been better.

What is it? Hilde

How do you pronounce it? eel-deh

Origin of name? Hilde means battle and it says it is of French origin.

Are you named after someone/something? Yes after my grandmother. (mom's mom)

Do you like your name? It's not common, but I don't ever really use it so whatevs.

If you could change your name, what would you change it to? I'd drop the Hilde and just keep Lisa.

What is it?

Esha

How do you pronounce it?

Ee-sha

Origin of name?

Indian; means a gift from god

Well when an indian movie came out one of the characters names was Esha and my sister absolutely adored it and vowed that when and if she had a sister she would name it Esha... and the rest is history

Do you like your name?

Yea I don't mind it.. So glad it's short though

Maya... ALWAYS adored that name

What is it? Aquilah

How do you pronounce it? ah-kwee-la (Almost rhymes with tequila)

Origin of name? Well, it depends. In Hebrew and Spanish it means "Eagle," but there's also the possibility it's or Arabic origin.

Are you named after someone/something? My mom thought she made the name up. Her meaning is "loyal." However, there's a saint in the Bible named Aquila (no "H" to my knowledge). He was a farmer married to Priscilla, and had something to do with the Crusades.

Do you like your name? Not particularly. A lot of people butcher it when trying to say it, so it's always a shock when someone says it right. I've had to go by my middle name a lot (work and school).

If you could change your name, what would you change it to? Honestly, I'd either rearrange it with my middle name, or drop it to just an initial and go by my middle name.

Aquila is a name used on portuguese as well, for men. It has the strong vocal on the A , with the sound of ahhh.

Now it's my turn

What is it? Lia

How do you pronounce it? Like Leah in english. If you're from Latin-based language, it's the same way it's written.

Origin of name? Mom named me after a girl she knew, but here's the meaning (copied from another site):

Origin: Hebrew

Meaning: Weary

Origin: Assyrian

Meaning: Ruler

This name may also be taken from the Hebrew word meaning "wild cow" or "gazelle".

Biblically, Leah is the wife of Jacob and the older sister of Rachel. Jacob laboured for seven years for Leah's father Laban to win Rachel's hand. On his wedding night, he discovered that he had been given Leah rather than Rachel as a wife. He was allowed to marry Rachel a week later, but had to labour for a further seven years. Due to this deception, Jacob loved Rachel more than Leah. God blessed Leah with seven sons before Rachel became pregnant with Joseph (of the technicoloured dreamcoat).

PS: it can mean also 'the one with sad and tired eyes'

Do you like your name? Yep!

If you could change your name, what would you change it to? Not sure. I like the name Maria, but not for myself.

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif Origin of name? Well, it depends. In Hebrew and Spanish it means "Eagle," but there's also the possibility it's or Arabic origin. I love your name!! I always thought you were named after the constellation Aquila
smile.gif
I remember an old british TV show called Aquila as well
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by |<33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I love your name!! I always thought you were named after the constellation Aquila
smile.gif
I remember an old british TV show called Aquila as well
biggrin.gif
Yeah, there is a constellation as well LOL! Didn't know about the British show though.

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif Do you like your name? Not particularly. A lot of people butcher it when trying to say it, so it's always a shock when someone says it right. I've had to go by my middle name a lot (work and school).

If you could change your name, what would you change it to? Honestly, I'd either rearrange it with my middle name, or drop it to just an initial and go by my middle name.

I love it too!!!! I think its such a pretty name!!!!

Some of us have some really pretty names.

I'm still laughing (no idea why) that Lia's name could mean "weary ruler"

What is it?

Jill.

How do you pronounce it?

Jillllll.
tongue.gif

Origin of name?

um....no idea.

no, but my middle name is Renae, and my mom used to tease me saying that I was named after JR , cuz Dallas was huge when I was born.

Do you like your name?

Very much so.
smile.gif

I wouldn't want to change it. But I like the name Chloe.

What is it? Shelley

How do you pronounce it? SHEL ee

Origin of name? Old English--'sloped meadow'
kopfkratz.gif

Are you named after someone/something? Not that I'm aware of.

Do you like your name? I use to hate it growing up. Kids would tease me and say "Shelley sells seashells by the sea shore." I use to tell them they have it all wrong. It's suppose to be..."Shelley sells sharks by the sea shore." he he
laughing.gif
I like my name now since its doesn't appear to be a real common name.

If you could change your name, what would you change it to? Chantal

Originally Posted by Andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ohhh I would have pronounced it wrong. Seal-lee-ah is how my future MIL´s name is pronounced, so I just thought that´s the only way there is. I have to say I really like your name now that I know how to pronounce it, it sounds much prettier that way!!! (shh don´t tell my MIL I said that haha)

Haha, I don't mind it actually - only when they call me something totally different like Cecilia. The way you say it is the way you pronounce it in English, but I grew up listening to my name being pronounced in Spanish... so it was always Cell vs Seal. My old boss use to butcher the pronunciation... "seeeeee-eeeeel-leee-yaaaaah" I always wanted to tell her to STFU.
I like your name a lot, Anders. In Spanish you would stress the E...Aun-dre-ey-yah. I don't hear it often... it kinda reminds me of those stuck-up girls name. Haha.

I like this thread - learned a lot more.

OH, this whole time I was thinking Aquilah's name was like Akeelah and the Bee.

What is it? Tyari

How do you pronounce it? Tie-R-ee

Origin of name? swahili (Africa(?))

Are you named after someone/something? kinda... my mom was in an african dance tribe in high school and that was her name for the tribe. It means 'ready'. I found out that its actually a masculine name like Anthony or Robert, lol!

Do you like your name? LOVE IT but hate that people continuously mispronounce it.

If you could change your name, what would you change it to? I wouldn't chance my name but just the spelling of it to the traditional spelling which is Tayari. Maybe then people would say it right.

Kelly

K-E-L-L-Y

Irish, I believe. But I am Italian ??????

I am named after my Dad's Friend who died in a mototcycle crash before I was born. His name was Tom Kelly.

I think my name is OK. I hated it for a while when I was a Kid.

I don't want to change my name anymore.

Maritza

pronounced- Mod-eats-ah ? ( you don't roll the "R" lots of people think you do, Mari is more like "moddy")

I looked it up, and this is what a website says (mah REET zah) but the "reet" would sound hella stupid.

Latin? from Mary

"Mar" is sea, maybe blessed/sea?

My parents named me after a spanish song, probably from the 80's... the only words I know is "Maritza.... arrivederci...."

I like that my name is different, but NO ONE knows how to say it right!!! My fam calls me Mari anyway.

I wouldn't change it, but I used to use an "alias" calling myself Lola (after Lola bunny) when I didn't want people to know my real name
4.gif
just weird guys lol. IDK how they believed it.

Back