Your mother's makeup...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
- THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 My mom always wore makeup - as far back as I can remember... Nothing bold, but always a little something. Looking at her yearbook, in the 70's she was big on the black eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss.... and that has surely passed down to me!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Now she's into the eyeshadow, mascara, lip liner, lipstick, blush, foundation, bronzer.... you name it!!! And so am I !! So I guess you can say it's genetic!
icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted by MacForMe LOL! remember that stick foundation? It worked like a lipstick, was white plastic and instead of being round like a lipstick tube it was rectangular? OMG.. that stuff. went on like plaster.. spackle even! My grandmom used it.. ughh, who made that.. coty? i dont remember the name, but i remember it being god-awful to use and take OFF LMAO! I had that!!! And I'm 25!! lol It was Max Factor's Panstik!! lol It had the dial wheel on the bottom?? lol I had a lot of acne in my younger teen years, and I needed a good spackle to cover them up!!
wink.gif
(Until I used the Murad kit... see my post on that thread)
wink.gif

This post is going to make my mom seem like a monster, and she difinitely had problems, but she was a VERY young, inexperienced mom. She used to get ready for parties (she liked to do roller-disco..it was the 70's) and I would watch her put her makeup on and be so...mystified. I was about four or five, and I loved this gold glitter dust that she had. She would dip a little plastic stick that had a shape on it -a star or a crescent moon- in some sticky stuff, then in the gold glitter and then put it on her cheek. She'd have one perfect gold star on her cheek. I thought she was so glamourous. One day, my sister and I got into it, and she got really mad. She asked me if I wanted to wear some makeup? She started putting something on my face. When she was done, she put me in front of the mirror to see how pretty I was. She had put black shoe polish all over my face which, at four years old, really really scared me. Needless to say, I never got into her makeup again. Anyway, I think that may have something to do with my until-recent nonexistent makeup routine.

Janelle, don't laugh about the panstik - it was the best dark circle cover up on the market, hands down!

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 LMAO! I had that!!! And I'm 25!! lol It was Max Factor's Panstik!! lol It had the dial wheel on the bottom?? lol I had a lot of acne in my younger teen years, and I needed a good spackle to cover them up!!
wink.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted by K*O* Janelle, don't laugh about the panstik - it was the best dark circle cover up on the market, hands down! I know! It was great for pimple cover-up too!! lol I think Erica (FeistyFemme) uses it a lot..
icon_wink.gif

My mom has never wore makeup since she had kids. But my mom is absolutely beautiful inside as well as out. She has great aging genes, great skin, etc. Luckily all the women in my family seem to have great skin, and great aging genes. My grandma still looks hot, she wears very little makeup, but she still dates college guys and she is in her mid 60's. Hopefully I have inherited these wonderful genes
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I on the other hand love to wear lots of makeup. Don't get me wrong I'm completely comfortable going without makeup or with very little makeup. But I also love to get all dressed up and put on tons of makeup sometimes!

My Mother has always been concerned about her appearance - she never left the house without her makeup and dressed impeccably. When I was a child she always wore hats and gloves.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 My mom always wore makeup - as far back as I can remember... Nothing bold, but always a little something. Looking at her yearbook, in the 70's she was big on the black eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss.... and that has surely passed down to me!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Now she's into the eyeshadow, mascara, lip liner, lipstick, blush, foundation, bronzer.... you name it!!! And so am I !! So I guess you can say it's genetic!
icon_cool.gif
Your mom sounds like a classy lady.

Originally Posted by christymo This post is going to make my mom seem like a monster, and she difinitely had problems, but she was a VERY young, inexperienced mom. She used to get ready for parties (she liked to do roller-disco..it was the 70's) and I would watch her put her makeup on and be so...mystified. I was about four or five, and I loved this gold glitter dust that she had. She would dip a little plastic stick that had a shape on it -a star or a crescent moon- in some sticky stuff, then in the gold glitter and then put it on her cheek. She'd have one perfect gold star on her cheek. I thought she was so glamourous. One day, my sister and I got into it, and she got really mad. She asked me if I wanted to wear some makeup? She started putting something on my face. When she was done, she put me in front of the mirror to see how pretty I was. She had put black shoe polish all over my face which, at four years old, really really scared me. Needless to say, I never got into her makeup again. Anyway, I think that may have something to do with my until-recent nonexistent makeup routine. aw, i don't think your mom sounds like a monster! you shouldn't be embarrassed or anything to tell that story!
smile.gif

My mom always wore makeup and I do not remember a time when she left the house without it. She was always dressed to a T. She still hasher daily makeup routine that is like an hour but as a child it seemed like 10. Also, when I was growing up, it was Merle Norman that she wore.

Growing up, my mom would always do her eyes, which are really big and beautiful. She would use a kohl brown Lancome eyeliner and brown eyeshadow. She rarely wore lipstick, but did color her hair. As she got older, she stopped wearing makeup altogher, except on special occasions. And she also stopped coloring her hair. She works as a substitute teacher, and she decided that she was tired of trying to look younger (she felt she was trying to compete with the younger subs). She kinda took a "take it or leave it" attitude. Regardless, people are always complimenting my mom on how attractive she is. (And she's still getting tons of calls to sub.) It's her skin, she has great skin. She's 70 years old, with grey hair and people think she's about 20 years younger. When she wears makeup and does her hair, she looks so great. But she doesn't really care so much. My grandfather, who's 99, barely has any wrinkles, as well. I hope I'm the same way.

Anyway, I'm the exact opposite of my mom. I'm such a girlie-girl, and I never leave the house without MU. Even if it's just lipgloss and mascara, I don't feel myself without it! My daily routine is moisturizer, mineral makeup, blush, concealer (under eyes), e/s, mascara, eyeliner, lip balm, lipstick/gloss and liner, and I have to do my eyebrows. I drive my husband crazy. Oh, well!

This is such a funny thread!

My mother wore makeup all the time. I know she did eyebrows, eyeliner, mascara, blush and lipstick. I assume that she did foundation, powder, mascara too. She sold Avon on and off, but it seemed like she didn't have much makeup. I honestly can't remember her ever buying makeup, but I'm pretty sure it was all drugstore stuff. When she died my father wanted to send me all her old makeup. No thanks!! The last thing I want is her half used twenty year old Avon and Cover Girl junk.

My mom wore a moderate amount of MU all through the years. Usually eyeliner, mascara, blush and lipstick. In the 70's she wore a lot of metallic browns and bronzes. Then in the 80's she switched to bright garish colors like fuschia blush/lipstick and blue eyeshadow (she's a fiar skinned brunette with golden brown eyes). She had navy blue eyeliner tattooed on in the early 90's--eek. She didn't wear foundation until she reached her 50's, which is weird b/c she actually had some bad acne for years. Maybe she was afraid the foundation would clog pores? The brands she used were Merle Norman, some Avon, Revlon, Cover Girl, Coty... I never liked her MU, but then we never got along anyways. We don't have anything in common, she'd probably think I was nuts for being this into MU!

My mother has always wore makeup, but only just a little and never really carefully applied. She has always bought cheap stuff and kept it for years and years. She has never really been that intrested in anything beautyrelated, except coloring her hair. She bought me my first eyeliner though, an iceblue one from IsaDora when I was 11, that color has never looked good on me.

I on the other side can go out without makeup, but when I wear makeup I always makes sure to apply it carefully and I almost always do "a full face". She thinks I´m crazy with all my expensive makeup and creams, if I go to them for a visit I always brings big bags of stuff since I don´t like to wear the same makeup for two days in a row. She would never let me put makeup on her, I can´t even get her to wash her face with a cleanser and use a moisturizer instead of just washing it off with handsoap!

//Jenny

Originally Posted by Tussan I can´t even get her to wash her face with a cleanser and use a moisturizer instead of just washing it off with handsoap! my mom washes her face with soap, too! i bought her a neutrogena moisturizer with AHA in it and an eye cream, but she said she has no time to put it on. i'm like, it takes 2 seconds after you wash your face with SOAP (i keep telling her it's not good for her skin, but she doesn't listen!).

What a great thread! My mom used to wear a ton of makeup when I was little. I can still see her packing on the Coty Airspun Powder and lighting the wet'n'wild black eyeliner on fire. She always wore black liner on the inner rims and a TON of Maybelline Great Lash. My mom was a teenager when I was little and she surely was made up like one! As she has gotten into her forties she is very minimal. I love to sit her down and wax her brows and put makeup on her face. She loves Benefit You Rebel and Dr. Feelgood. I buy them for her and she only wears it on special occasions as she doesn't want to waste it.

I also remember both my grandmothers loving makeup. One had a TON of little lipsticks and cream blushes from Avon, I would try them on and prance around. The other had beautiful High-End makeup, I would always get the GWP's!! Everytime I smell Estee lauder Youth Dew I think of her. Overall, I think the women in my life definitely influenced my love of makeup. I still get excited with the idea of trying on new things and prancing around the house!:icon_love

Originally Posted by christymo This post is going to make my mom seem like a monster, and she difinitely had problems, but she was a VERY young, inexperienced mom. She used to get ready for parties (she liked to do roller-disco..it was the 70's) and I would watch her put her makeup on and be so...mystified. I was about four or five, and I loved this gold glitter dust that she had. She would dip a little plastic stick that had a shape on it -a star or a crescent moon- in some sticky stuff, then in the gold glitter and then put it on her cheek. She'd have one perfect gold star on her cheek. I thought she was so glamourous. One day, my sister and I got into it, and she got really mad. She asked me if I wanted to wear some makeup? She started putting something on my face. When she was done, she put me in front of the mirror to see how pretty I was. She had put black shoe polish all over my face which, at four years old, really really scared me. Needless to say, I never got into her makeup again. Anyway, I think that may have something to do with my until-recent nonexistent makeup routine. Your mom sounds lovely...except for the shoe polish.lol. Hooray for young moms, I know how you feel.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 LMAO! I had that!!! And I'm 25!! lol It was Max Factor's Panstik!! lol It had the dial wheel on the bottom?? lol I had a lot of acne in my younger teen years, and I needed a good spackle to cover them up!!
wink.gif
wink.gif
DING! DING! DING!!! WINNAHH!! THATS IT! YOU'RE RIGHT!!!!!!

Originally Posted by K*O* Janelle, don't laugh about the panstik - it was the best dark circle cover up on the market, hands down! good point.. it did cover REALLY well..

My mother encouraged me to make myself up (I was a mousy, chunky, bookish little girl, and she thought it might help me be a little more confident.) When most mothers would say "Take that makeup off!" she was handing me a tube of her lipstick and saying "Put some of this on. You look dead."

From her I learned a love of red lipstick (a nude lip gives both of us night terrors), the importance of moisturizer, and how to soften your pencil liner with a cigarette lighter. All the basics.

:icon_love

Back