Your mother's makeup...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was/Is your mother into makeup? If so, do you think that had an influence on how *you* feel about makeup?

My mother has never been into makeup and hasn't worn any in years. Wonder how I became such a nut about it? LOL In fact, for a long time I thought she thought I was silly for wearing makeup and I felt embarrassed even putting it on in front of her. Finally, I asked her if she thought my love of makeup was dumb, and she said no, she just thought I didn't need it (haha, of course a mother would think that! lol) but she didn't think any less of me for wearing it. Funny how I'm 26, married and have a kid and I still worry so much about what mama thinks of me!
icon_redface.gif

I am truly my mothers daughter. My mother is now 56 and will not go outside without her full makeup and her favorite fragrance. She keeps herself well I must say. Her philosophy is that a women should always look good no matter what is going on in her life. Sometimes I'll be too stressed and go without makeup and she would sent me right back to fix myself up and get it together. Believe it or not it will make me feel better!! Moms you gotta love them!!
icon_confused.gif

I also wear the same makeup as my mom (but in different colors to match my skin and eyes!). We both always wear foundation, powder, eyeliner, and mascara. I've recently added eyeshadow (if I have time) and lipgloss to my routine though
smile.gif
Even though my parents live on a farm and half the days of the week Mom doesn't even go into town, she always puts on makeup first thing in the mornings! (She argues that if she does go to town, then she's already ready -- If I'm not planning on leaving the house I skip the makeup, and put it on later if I change my mind! lol)

I used to love to watch my Mom put on her makeup before she and my Dad would go out for the evening, they were very social people so it seemed like there was always some party they were going too. When I was little in the 60's my Mom wore the frosted lipstick, black eyeliner and fake lashes. I was just fasinated with makeup at an early age and couldn't wait till I was old enough to wear it. Mom would a lot of times buy something that she decided she didn't like later on, she would give it to me and let me play dress up, I'm sure I looked just lovely in aqua blue eyeshadow and frosted pink lipstick
icon_redface.gif

My mom always wore makeup - as far back as I can remember... Nothing bold, but always a little something. Looking at her yearbook, in the 70's she was big on the black eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss.... and that has surely passed down to me!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Now she's into the eyeshadow, mascara, lip liner, lipstick, blush, foundation, bronzer.... you name it!!! And so am I !! So I guess you can say it's genetic!
icon_cool.gif

My mom has always worn makeup and more high end stuff which is why I got so into it. I had nice makeup already at a really young age because I would travel with my parents and my mom and I would buy high-end makeup tax free like Dior, Chanel, Lancome etc. So definitely my mom has had a huge influence on my interest in makeup. Poor Tony has to put at with it now that we are married.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
My mom has actually changed her makeup habits more into drugstore brands now due to retirement. I'm actually getting into drugstore makeup myself. I think it's a great alternative to high-end brands. Both of my mom's and mine favorite drugstore brand is Lumene currently. My mom can buy it cheaper in Finland though than I can here in the US.

My mom is about as minimal as they come. She wears tinted moisturizer and loose powder on a regular basis. For her, a full face would be TM, loose powder, blush, and lipstick. So where I got my love of makeup from I'll never know. I know she must think I wear WAY too much.

My mom is the same as FeistyFemme's mom! She wears minimal make up. Actually since i've become more interested in make-up & bought more, she borrows mine! And if she ever has to go to a special event, i'm her personal make up artist!!

Haha, same here, Laura!
wink.gif

Occasionally she'll come digging through my stuff and say, "Will you put this on me?" It's kinda cute, LOL

my mom's the same way. i only recall her wearing pressed powder & lipstick when i was growing up. the only difference now is that she's added foundation & a brow pencil.
icon_lol.gif

i have no clue how i became obsessed w/cosmetics. i think it started when i was about 9 or 10 & had a hula performance that needed makeup for an added edge. since my mom didn't have anything to apply, another girl's mom had to do my makeup. from then on, i was hooked. i guess it was my curiosity w/what i didn't have available.

My mom is has great skin, and is a makeup minimalist, as well. As I recall, when I was growing up, she'd wear some powder/foundation, eyebrow pencil, mascara, and *maybe once in a while* some lipstick. Now she'll use her eyebrow pencil, some mascara, and that's about it, along with her favorite fragrances. I'm like her, in that we both have good skin, and don't wear a lot of makeup everyday.
smile.gif

My mum is hopeless with make up.Infact yesterday me an my sister were laughing because my mum spent ages going on about some cream/powder stuff for you face blah blah blah..i was like "do you mean foundation"..lol..but my mum looks much better without make up.
smile.gif

OMG- the memories..

I used to watch my mom put on her Mary Kay makeup especially when she was going out. Those PINK!PINK!PINK! compacts.. The MK lady showed her that the creamy foundation was applied WET.. Yes, with WATER! She would get her hands wet and smoosh it around the cream foundation and then apply. I could never understand that.. She did buy me some when i got older, but i hated it.. (runs and hides from any MK ladies here!) Not because it was "bad" per se.. but because it was just, i dunno. weird textured..

Now the roles are reversed, i get the "can you do my face for me?" question.. its cute and she steals my stuff. like my green gel cleanser! GRR!
icon_evil.gif

My mom probably is the most minimal cosmetic wearer. She only wear Vaseline on her lips. She is darker than me (African American) and only tried wearing powder at a Mary Kay party. She immediately washed it off she said she was allergic. She can't wear perfume, because of allergies so I really don't know where I get my obsession from? My grandmother wears a little. I really just wear on a regular basis foundation, mascara, lipstick, sometimes eyeshadow, and powder as needed

My mom used to wear makeup when she was in her 30's but stopped in her 40's..as a little girl I always played with her makeup..I was totally fascinated with it. I wear makeup everyday and will not leave the house without it..I wear more makeup than she ever did. I'm the total opposite compared to her
icon_cheesygrin.gif

the makeup gene definitely skipped a generation because my mom is clueless except for what i teach her... my grandma, on the other hand, is a makeup diva... but back to mommy, everytime she goes on vacation, we have to have a makeup shopping day where i pick out her foundation, eyeshadows, etc. and then a day where i show her how to apply it... so friggin funny...
icon_cheesygrin.gif
BUT she's also the only 50 yr old i know who looks mid to late 30s at best and i'm guessing this is due, in part, to the fact that makeup is just not a part of her routine (except for a touch of lipstick that's gone by mid morning)...

Originally Posted by QurlySq the makeup gene definitely skipped a generation because my mom is clueless except for what i teach her... my grandma, on the other hand, is a makeup diva... There it is right there!! My mom would only do her eyebrows and nothing else. For my mother a full face of make up meant wearing lipstick. My Granny on the other did concealer, liquid, then powder, blush(or rouge as she called it
hahaha.gif
), eyeshadow, lipstick the whole nine.
So I grew up with "This porridge is to hot (Granny) and this porridge is too cold (mommy) so my just right is, cream foundation (as a concealer), eyebrows, and lipstick. On special occasions I will wear blush and eye shadow but that is no more then twice a year.

Originally Posted by quelinda There it is right there!! My mom would only do her eyebrows and nothing else. For my mother a full face of make up meant wearing lipstick. My Granny on the other did concealer, liquid, then powder, blush(or rouge as she called it
hahaha.gif
), eyeshadow, lipstick the whole nine.
So I grew up with "This porridge is to hot (Granny) and this porridge is too cold (mommy) so my just right is, cream foundation (as a concealer), eyebrows, and lipstick. On special occasions I will wear blush and eye shadow but that is no more then twice a year.

LOL! remember that stick foundation? It worked like a lipstick, was white plastic and instead of being round like a lipstick tube it was rectangular? OMG.. that stuff. went on like plaster.. spackle even! My grandmom used it.. ughh, who made that.. coty? i dont remember the name, but i remember it being god-awful to use and take OFF

My mother has always been into makeup, I remember the days when I was little and got in trouble playing with all her makeup! The older she has gotten, the less makeup she wears, she still has beautiful skin but she doesn't like to wear a lot. Growing up, I used to share makeup with my mom, I still do even! She has taught me a lot and I love her!!
icon_biggrin.gif

my mom only would do (when i was younger) the lipstick on the cheeks and blend into blush LOL she never wears makeup and when there's a special occasion, she'll ask me to put some "shiny" on her lips (lipstick, her favorite's mac's hue). it's impossible to put makeup on her, for some reason. some nights, she'll ask me me or my sis to give her a makeover LOL it never works and i can't explain why.

Latest posts

Back