Quantcast

Every mineral foundation seems to break me out.. I need your advice...

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
May 27, 2006
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I need your advice. It seems that every mineral foundation breaks me out. I have already tried Lumiere, Monave, Lauress, Illuminare, Meow. None of those lines use Bismuth oxychloride as an ingredient.... I am wondering what ingredient irritates my skin :-( I noticed that my face break out especially after application of Lauress Elemental (BTW it is the most beautiful looking mineral foundation I have ever seen)... First it starts to itch like crazy (feeling likethousands of needles pricking my face) and after that my face breaks out with a large number of small pimples... I also noticed that Lauress Elemental lists Zinc Oxide as a first ingredient so I started to wonder if it is possible that zinc oxide may irritate my skin ??? I am sure it is not mica... Titanium dioxide may be suspicious too... What do you think? Or maybe some kind of iron oxide? I have no idea,,, What do you think? It seems to be some basic mineral makeup ingredient that makes me break out... Does anyone have similar expercience?

 
Joined
Jul 7, 2007
Messages
206
Reaction score
0
i would love the know the answer to this too. i'm trying to move from MAC studio fix to MMU, but i tried EDM and today i have 2 huge under skin blimishes! WHAT! i tried L'Oreal BN because i was in immediate need for a summer color to go on vacation and it did not break me out. LO does have bis oxy in it. i have ocean mist and meow on the way. i don't know if i'm applying too much powder or if it's the ingreds. thanks for posting this and i look foward to seeing the answers.

 
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
What type of brush are you using? Often, that's the culprit. Have you tried a soft synthetic one?

 
Joined
Jul 7, 2007
Messages
206
Reaction score
0
i have a synthetic brush from lancome that i used for the edm. i ordered samples and did not order brushes because i didn't know if i would like and didn't need extra stuff if i didn't like. i'm interested in this advice; why would the brush make me break out?

 
Joined
Feb 17, 2007
Messages
2,341
Reaction score
1
it got germs in it if u dont wash it often

i live in hot and humid place like hk and i didnt wash my brush for a few days in sumemr and it broke me out so badly ~

 
Joined
Jul 7, 2007
Messages
206
Reaction score
0
OH! i see. that would not be my issue because i washed the brush with neutrogena ance face soap and rinsed very, very well. after it dried, then i used the brush to apply.

 
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by seymour5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif i have a synthetic brush from lancome that i used for the edm. i ordered samples and did not order brushes because i didn't know if i would like and didn't need extra stuff if i didn't like. i'm interested in this advice; why would the brush make me break out? Your brush wouldn't. Natural hair brushes often cause irritation. They are, after all, animal hair, and no amount of cleaning can change the origin of the hair, though of course the fur/hair is stripped of oil and sterilized before being made into brushes. But, natural hairs vary in texture, courseness, and "absorb" moisture, bacteria, and makeup like your own hair would absorb dye or a deep conditioner (as an example).
 
Joined
May 27, 2006
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Jiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif What type of brush are you using? Often, that's the culprit. Have you tried a soft synthetic one? Yes I do have Lumiere's kabuki brush (synthetic one) which is by the way one of the softest synthetic brushes I have ever had and it is not only my opinion
 

TDZ

Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Hi

The ones you have listed are heavier coverage. I cannot use anything that has a lot of ZO and TD as the first or almost first ingredients. I get tiny bumps after a few days. I use Fusion of Color it is maybe like the coverage of BE but not at all shiny like BE. Maybe give them a shot

T

 
Joined
Feb 17, 2007
Messages
2,341
Reaction score
1
maybe ur allergic to one of the ingredients! i would compare the ingredients of everyday mineral and other mineral makeup u have used that wont break u out. narrow them down !

 
Joined
May 27, 2006
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Savvy_lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif maybe ur allergic to one of the ingredients! i would compare the ingredients of everyday mineral and other mineral makeup u have used that wont break u out. narrow them down ! Thank you. Unfortunately up till now I haven't found any mineral makeup that doesn't break me out ... :-(
I hope it is high amounts of zinc oxide & titanium dioxide (as TDZ suggests) that make my face break out... Thank you for the suggestion.

I forget to mention that I have also tried Merle Norman mineral foundation ( contains: mica, zinc oxide, titanium dioxide and iron oxides) which is not so heavy as the previous ones... and my face also breaks out after it :-((( Mica is listed as a first ingredient....

 
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
7,048
Reaction score
0
That is a good idea to narrow down the possible irritating ingredient.

 
Joined
May 27, 2006
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by TDZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif HiI use Fusion of Color it is maybe like the coverage of BE but not at all shiny like BE. Maybe give them a shot

T

And Fusion of Color doesn't make you break out at all? Which shade would you recommend for light/medium yellow skin with olive tones (I think it would be C25-30 in MAC ?)
Thank you


 
Joined
Mar 20, 2007
Messages
1,147
Reaction score
1
Before MMU I broke out ALL the time. I use Aubrey Nicole. I have had 2 or 3 pimples (small ones) since I started using AN fulltime in May. The ingredients for their foundations are:

Soft Coverage: Sericite, Titanium Dioxide (Non-Micronized), Zinc Stearate, Kaolin Clay, Silica (Non-Crystallized), Silk Powder, Iron Oxide, Allantoin

Full Coverage: Sericite, Kaolin Clay, Titanium Dioxide (Non-Micronized), Zinc Stearate, Silica (Non-Crystallized), Silk Powder, Iron Oxide, Allantoin

Aubrey Nicole doesn't list the ingredients you mentioned at the front of their list.

I really think the combination of ingredients has alot to do with breakouts. Two companies can use the same ingredients but they use different amounts and that changes the "finished state" of the powder.

 
Joined
Jul 1, 2007
Messages
253
Reaction score
0
Hmm, when you say it makes you break out you mean pimples or rash ??? I think I also have a problem with MMU, but I still need to verify it. I think Lumiere is not working for me. I just do not feel itching or anytching like that, I just feel it on the face. Maybe I'm using it to much, because, when on the weekends I use a small amounts, my face feels great.

I used Polish company called Rhea, and I could even sleep in this makeup with no break out (of course not on purpose, just after the party, when you are extremely tired - I hate sleeping with makeup on). Just the problem with Rhea is that its extremly chalky and I couldn't find a color match, even that my skintone is easy to match with anything.

Farraige I see you are from Poland, have you tried Rhea ??? I also got the samples from the signature minerals, meow, alima, and elegant minerals, but tried only elegant minerals, and so far they are better than lumiere for me.

I also await some more samples, to see what is really good for me. I got EDM, and I like the feel of the EDM, unfortunately I didn't order any shade which would suit me, so I placed another sampling order at EDM, to see it this is maybe my HG.

 
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
9,509
Reaction score
3
It's possible you are reacting to the mica. Some people do. Have you tried any mica free foundations? I think Fyrinnae does one, maybe some others on here can suggest other brands?

You've had some great advice on this thread, keep us updated.

 
Joined
May 27, 2006
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by agatapas /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hmm, when you say it makes you break out you mean pimples or rash ??? Hello agatapas... I mean both - pimples and awful itching rash :-(((

Originally Posted by Sirvinya /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's possible you are reacting to the mica. Some people do. Have you tried any mica free foundations? I think Fyrinnae does one, maybe some others on here can suggest other brands? Hello Sirvinya, I am sure it is not mica that makes my face itching and breaking out... I have already tried Lumiere Veena Velvet (which is mica free) and the same things happened... Although I must say that I get the worst results after application of Lauress Elemental ... Then this awful itching rush comes together with pimples... as I already mentioned Lauress' Elemental lists zinc oxide as a first ingredient and that's why I started to think that it is zinc oxide which is responsible for those breakouts.... What do you think ?
Hello Agatapas, I have never tried Rhea so far...

BTW nice to see you


Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif I really think the combination of ingredients has alot to do with breakouts. Two companies can use the same ingredients but they use different amounts and that changes the "finished state" of the powder. Katnahat, thank you for the idea!
 

TDZ

Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by farraige /img/forum/go_quote.gif And Fusion of Color doesn't make you break out at all? Which shade would you recommend for light/medium yellow skin with olive tones (I think it would be C25-30 in MAC ?)
Thank you https://forum.makeuptalk.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Ingredients: Mica (Sericite), Kaolin, Magnesium Carbonate, Zinc Stearate, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide. May contain Iron Oxides & Ultramarine

Here are the ingredients for FOC and she used micronized, they are nice and soft and leave a nice finish. I am a bit older than most here (I think) and makes my old skin look good. I wear Kathy it was the closets to BE 2 and BE 2 was a tad to yellow for me, I wore N 15-30 in MAC.

E-mail her maybe she can help

TDZ

 
Joined
May 23, 2007
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
I used to get really itchy using animal hair brushes. But you already ruled that out...

Zinc oxide is one of the more common allergens. You can buy zinc oxide cream (diaper rash cream, but pick one that has the most ZO in it), apply it on your inner arm, repeat for at least 4 days, and watch for any reactions. You can also buy pure ZO from eBay or TKB, or someone else on this board.

Are you allergic to sulfa drugs? Ultramarine blue is processed with sulfur. My SIL can't wear many MMUs because a lot of mineral foundations contain UB.

Are you buffing too hard when you're applying foundation? This can cause tiny fissures in your skin invisible to the naked eye. This causes major irritations and itchies too.

 
Joined
May 27, 2006
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by KatieM /img/forum/go_quote.gif Zinc oxide is one of the more common allergens. Yes, I suppose that zinc oxide irritates my skin. I haven't realized it can cause irritations because it has been used for generations to treat acne...
I get the worst breakouts after application of Lauress Elemental which lists zinc oxide as a first ingredient....

BTW do you know any mineral foundation without zinc oxide ?

Originally Posted by KatieM /img/forum/go_quote.gif Are you allergic to sulfa drugs? Ultramarine blue is processed with sulfur. My SIL can't wear many MMUs because a lot of mineral foundations contain UB. I have no idea :-( But I think the mineral foundations I've already tried didn't contain ultramarine blue....

Originally Posted by KatieM /img/forum/go_quote.gif Are you buffing too hard when you're applying foundation? This can cause tiny fissures in your skin invisible to the naked eye. This causes major irritations and itchies too. Yes, sometimes I buff too hard... But in fact it really doesn't matter because when I use flocked sponge instead of the brush, the same things happen with my face :-(
Thank you for your valuable suggestions!!!

 

Latest posts

Top