Quantcast

Help Needed (gift makeover)!!

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
387
Reaction score
1
Okay, this January is my mother's 45th birthday, and I want to surprise her. I'm flying to see her (from CA to IL)--and she doesn't know it. I want to surprise her by giving her a makeover myself. I've taken her to the counters before, and she absolutely hates it. This way, I figured maybe she wouldn't be so apprehensive if I did her makeup for her. Here's the problem: I don't know where to start!!! She basically needs an overhaul of her makeup because her makeup (of the very little she has, that is) is VERY outdated and old. She still owns makeup from her high school days!

Okay, so here are my questions:

1. What are some good colors/types of products for her? (she has oily skin, VERY pink undertones, dirty blonde hair, blue eyes, glasses, and she's worried about lines and her aging skin)

2. I don't want to overwhelm her with a ton of products, so what are the basics that I should get her? I know she LOVES eyeshadows and lipstick. Other than that, she wears liquid foundation. She never wears mascara, eyeliner, blush, or anything else.

If it helps, I have a picture of her. (obviously, she's the one on the right!) Thanks!!



 
Joined
May 19, 2005
Messages
2,206
Reaction score
1
You two look so cute! That's a wonderful thing you're doing for your mother. Is she using any skin care? If she is worried about aging you might want to pick up a nice moisturizer and other skin care products for her. What sort of colors of makeup is she wearing now? Do you know which brands she likes?

 
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
10,353
Reaction score
1
There is a retinol cream I am using by Roc on my face for wrinkle control (yes I know I am only 23 but let me be obsessive compulsive about this, ok?) It is called Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Night Creme. It seems to be doing a very nice job, it definitely keeps my skin VERY smooth!! Also, she can try an eye cream by Lancome called Resolution D'Contraxol Eye (I know I have to have spelled that wrong, but I never took French, so there!).

As for makeup stuff, I would keep it light, so that the foundation doesn't crease in wrinkles if she is already worried about them. I use Lancome's Photogenic Foundation and I LOVE it!! They have a bunch of colors, it won't clog pores, and it is a light-medium foundation that makes the skin look great!

I would almost recommend MAC Skinfinish in Porcelain Pink as a blush... It is a little glimmery and pretty, would go nicely with a light skinned lady like your mom.

Eye stuff, I would say let her have fun with eyeshadows. But if you want to pick something out ahead of time, try for maybe some taupe colors, maybe a little plum, browns, and purples. Oh and a nice gold color to kind of highlight and play with.

Mascara I LOVE Maybelline Full N' Soft, it is very nice and doesn't clump at all, makes your lashes look wonderful!

 
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
387
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by suzukigrrl You two look so cute! That's a wonderful thing you're doing for your mother. Is she using any skin care? If she is worried about aging you might want to pick up a nice moisturizer and other skin care products for her. What sort of colors of makeup is she wearing now? Do you know which brands she likes? Thanks! We're pretty close. She uses pretty much all of the oil of olay line. As for colors, she mostly wears brown eyeshadow or bright blue (lol from her high school days). She mostly wears Revlon makeup, although to be honest, I don't think she's attached to the brand--it's the only brand (besides CG) sold in the grocery store in her hometown!
 
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
387
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by MACGoddess There is a retinol cream I am using by Roc on my face for wrinkle control (yes I know I am only 23 but let me be obsessive compulsive about this, ok?) It is called Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Night Creme. It seems to be doing a very nice job, it definitely keeps my skin VERY smooth!! Also, she can try an eye cream by Lancome called Resolution D'Contraxol Eye (I know I have to have spelled that wrong, but I never took French, so there!).
As for makeup stuff, I would keep it light, so that the foundation doesn't crease in wrinkles if she is already worried about them. I use Lancome's Photogenic Foundation and I LOVE it!! They have a bunch of colors, it won't clog pores, and it is a light-medium foundation that makes the skin look great!

I would almost recommend MAC Skinfinish in Porcelain Pink as a blush... It is a little glimmery and pretty, would go nicely with a light skinned lady like your mom.

Eye stuff, I would say let her have fun with eyeshadows. But if you want to pick something out ahead of time, try for maybe some taupe colors, maybe a little plum, browns, and purples. Oh and a nice gold color to kind of highlight and play with.

Mascara I LOVE Maybelline Full N' Soft, it is very nice and doesn't clump at all, makes your lashes look wonderful!

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking of getting her an e/s palette with a bunch of different colors in it--basically so she could try it out. I love the pigments, but I KNOW she's not ready for something like that. She's always calling me asking about how to put on regular powder e/s! I'll definately look into some of those products though! Thanks!
 
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
10,353
Reaction score
1
MAC has some really nice e/s and Stila does as well... you might want to check those types out... And honestly try to get her on the MuT!! That is the BEST place for her to learn and feel more comfy about makeup. Maybe she'll even get daring!!

 
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
387
Reaction score
1
She is on MUT (or at least she's registered), but she hasn't come back on after registering!! lol I'll definately look into some of these products though.


 
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
10,353
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Brelki She is on MUT (or at least she's registered), but she hasn't come back on after registering!! lol I'll definately look into some of these products though.
LOL! No way! Shoot, you should force her to get online... Tell her she HAS to do it for 10 minutes a day, hopefully soon we'll have her on here for HOURS!
 
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
387
Reaction score
1
LOL... it will be her "makeup homework" for the week!
I like that idea!

 
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
10,353
Reaction score
1
Hey use whatever works!! Just get her on here and let us know her username so we can be sure to make her feel welcome...

We'll turn her into a makeup freak in NO time!

 
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
387
Reaction score
1
Will do!
I might change this thread a bit though.... wouldn't want her to read about it before I get to do the makeover!!

 
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
10,353
Reaction score
1
LOL! I hadn't thought of that... Maybe you could get one of the moderators (Trisha, Liz, etc) to delete it for you...

 
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
387
Reaction score
1
Good thinking! Her screenname is lalyki.
I'll try to get her to come in this weekend and check out the site.

 

Latest posts

Top