Quantcast

How much nail polish do you own?

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Nov 11, 2012
Messages
1,698
Reaction score
151
I was packing to go back to school today, and as I was packing up my nail polish, I decided to count them...

Well, my final count of polish (not including ones that are now no longer usable) was 30. And I know I have more in my apartment at school...so my total total is probably about 3 dozen. I didn't realize I had so many!! (Especially pinks...I think I have about 5 different pinks)...I really am polish obsessed!!

 
Joined
Feb 15, 2012
Messages
648
Reaction score
13
300 maybe?  I've been buying much less lately, but they still come along to me several at a time.  I still haven't gotten around to totally re-organizing them.  I'll have a better count soon.

 
Joined
Nov 11, 2012
Messages
1,698
Reaction score
151
Originally Posted by mermuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

300 maybe?  I've been buying much less lately, but they still come along to me several at a time.  I still haven't gotten around to totally re-organizing them.  I'll have a better count soon.
300?!??

I couldn't imagine having nearly that many!!

 
Joined
Feb 15, 2012
Messages
648
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by KeepOnSingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif


300?!??

I couldn't imagine having nearly that many!!
It's a slippery slope.  It doesn't take long.  It also doesn't help that I had friends who got addicted around the same time as myself, so we were major enablers.

 
Joined
Nov 11, 2012
Messages
1,698
Reaction score
151
Originally Posted by mermuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif


It's a slippery slope.  It doesn't take long.  It also doesn't help that I had friends who got addicted around the same time as myself, so we were major enablers.
I couldn't afford 300 polishes...even the cheap $1 ones!

My collection has been growing over the past FEW YEARS and I'm still only at about 3 dozen (36).

 
Joined
Feb 13, 2012
Messages
1,225
Reaction score
21
Probably fifty or so. I've been eyeing an eight piece from the new black though.

 
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
997
Originally Posted by KeepOnSingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif


I couldn't afford 300 polishes...even the cheap $1 ones!

My collection has been growing over the past FEW YEARS and I'm still only at about 3 dozen (36).
I guess it's hard to conceptualize that you've spent $___ on nail polish when you do it over time. I mainly buy prestige and salon brand polishes because they keep longer, so when they go on sale, I try to justify it that way. ^^;; For example, this month, the Butter London sets of three's were on at NR for $15 for three... when they usually retail for $15 each, so I grabbed two sets. Then Zoya had that sale so I split it with a friend and grabbed two polishes. Funny because my goal was to buy no new polishes this month and I bought 8 and spent $40. My "justification" for doing this is that the retail value of the polishes is $106. ^^;; A $4 bottle of OPI here, a $5 bottle of Julep there... you can see how it really starts to add up.

As for your actual question, I've actually lost count, mostly because I've been moving so much recently, and I've had various bottles of polishes shipped to different places. I remember trying to shove ~50 bottles of polish onto a rack I got around September. I'd say I'm close to 80-90 now, Definitely over 100 if you count tiny S!OPIs 

edit: nvm i lied. If i remember what i left behind, I have 106. XD Including a few I might need to be getting rid of soon

 
Joined
Mar 3, 2012
Messages
947
Reaction score
15
I'd say I'm at between 65-100 polishes. I'd have to round them all up and do an exact count...I have such a terrible storing system lol. I also received at least 5 in trades.

 
Joined
Apr 19, 2012
Messages
5,713
Reaction score
126
I'm currently at 100, not including base/top coats.. weird, doesn't seem like that much at a glance..but it is! Crazy part, I still have sooo many shades I'm itching to try still lol.

 
Joined
Nov 11, 2012
Messages
1,698
Reaction score
151
Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I guess it's hard to conceptualize that you've spent $___ on nail polish when you do it over time. I mainly buy prestige and salon brand polishes because they keep longer, so when they go on sale, I try to justify it that way. ^^;; For example, this month, the Butter London sets of three's were on at NR for $15 for three... when they usually retail for $15 each, so I grabbed two sets. Then Zoya had that sale so I split it with a friend and grabbed two polishes. Funny because my goal was to buy no new polishes this month and I bought 8 and spent $40. My "justification" for doing this is that the retail value of the polishes is $106. ^^;; A $4 bottle of OPI here, a $5 bottle of Julep there... you can see how it really starts to add up.

As for your actual question, I've actually lost count, mostly because I've been moving so much recently, and I've had various bottles of polishes shipped to different places. I remember trying to shove ~50 bottles of polish onto a rack I got around September. I'd say I'm close to 80-90 now, Definitely over 100 if you count tiny S!OPIs 
I don't know. I just know I don't have that kind of money!

I buy various types, although lately all I've been buying is Color Club which is reasonably cheap (but works really well). 

I honestly don't get what all the fuss is about with brands like OPI for their regular polish. IMO, it's not any better, but it does cost twice as much! (Their base coats are my favorites though). I refuse to spend more on products unless they actually ARE better, and what I've found is that pretty much only your base coats and top coats matter. Anything between that doesn't. 

 
Joined
Mar 3, 2012
Messages
947
Reaction score
15
Originally Posted by KeepOnSingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif


I don't know. I just know I don't have that kind of money!

I buy various types, although lately all I've been buying is Color Club which is reasonably cheap (but works really well). I get it for $5 a bottle.

I honestly don't get what all the fuss is about with brands like OPI for their regular polish. IMO, it's not any better, but it does cost twice as much! (Their base coats are my favorites though). I refuse to spend more on products unless they actually ARE better, and what I've found is that pretty much only your base coats and top coats matter. Anything between that doesn't. 
I've found (authentic) OPI and China Glaze polishes on eBay for around $5 a bottle. 

 
Joined
Apr 19, 2012
Messages
5,713
Reaction score
126
While I don't always equate a higher retail price and quality as being synonymous, I will spend money on certain brands. Unless of course, I can find a cheaper dupe. I will splurge on occasion for Deborah Lippman, because I love the glitters produced by that brand and also Zoya, which is probably my favorite brand. I just went to Sally Beauty Supply and picked up two China Glaze polishes for $5.49 total, a BOGO deal. We all spend our money how we choose and buy what we like. It's a personal choice.

 
Joined
Mar 3, 2012
Messages
947
Reaction score
15
Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I don't always equate a higher retail price and quality as being synonymous, I will spend money on certain brands. Unless of course, I can find a cheaper dupe. I will splurge on occasion for Deborah Lippman, because I love the glitters produced by that brand and also Zoya, which is probably my favorite brand. I just went to Sally Beauty Supply and picked up two China Glaze polishes for $5.49 total, a BOGO deal.

We all spend our money how we choose and buy what we like. It's a personal choice.
You know, I constantly hear how great Sally's deals are and never seem to catch them! Lol maybe I should go in their stores more often. 

 
Joined
Nov 6, 2012
Messages
1,046
Reaction score
10
96.....I never realized I had that many...and I've got like 6 more on their way from when they had Orly on Hautelook at the beginning of January........96 polishes...wowwwww. I thought I had about 50 at most 0.o

 
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
2,977
Reaction score
997
Originally Posted by KeepOnSingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif


I don't know. I just know I don't have that kind of money!

I buy various types, although lately all I've been buying is Color Club which is reasonably cheap (but works really well). 

I honestly don't get what all the fuss is about with brands like OPI for their regular polish. IMO, it's not any better, but it does cost twice as much! (Their base coats are my favorites though). I refuse to spend more on products unless they actually ARE better, and what I've found is that pretty much only your base coats and top coats matter. Anything between that doesn't. 
re: OPI I disagree, and I also abhor Color Club. LOL but if it works for you, then rock on. (In fairness, I also don't care much about Essie and ChG, which are supposed polish junkie favourites). I'm not sure this is the appropriate thread for this discussion, but I'll go on anyway ^^;;

There are number of things that set OPI apart:

1) the formula is consistently great, and a number of things go into that factor: how it applies, how it dries (self-leveling formula wooh!), how long it lasts. A lot of brands achieve this, but they don't necessarily consistently achieve it the way OPI does.

2) Drugstore nail polish has come a long way. I mean, a lot of drugstore brands are fantastic quality now, but they didn't used to and OPI had. For drugstore brands to be competitive, they actually have to make a case for why people should buy, thus the improvement in quality.

3) OPI is a brand many companies (re: drugstore brands) look to for trends. I mean, regardless of your opinion about crackle nail polish, you can't argue that a lot of companies didn't create a bunch of collections that sold a lot of polish (aka generated a lot of income).

I mean, I don't think OPI is the ~most amazing company evar~, but I do think it has earned its kudos. I mean your question is pretty much akin to "oh why does everyone like this-and-this professor at the university, it's not like their classes are any better or they've produced more interesting research lately. Yes, but that doesn't mean they weren't more stand-out in the past. I think a lot of people like OPI still because 1) consistency of quality, 2) brand loyalty, and 3) a lot of classic favourites that other companies haven't had the history to build up yet.

 
Joined
Apr 19, 2012
Messages
5,713
Reaction score
126
is the BOGO all week round? and can anyone get it?
It is on the Cirque de Soleil polish collection. Dunno..they had a hand written tag by the display and the associate still charged me for both. I had to point out the discount lol and have them apply it.
 
Joined
Nov 11, 2012
Messages
1,698
Reaction score
151
Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

re: OPI I disagree, and I also abhor Color Club. LOL but if it works for you, then rock on. (In fairness, I also don't care much about Essie and ChG, which are supposed polish junkie favourites). I'm not sure this is the appropriate thread for this discussion, but I'll go on anyway ^^;;

There are number of things that set OPI apart:

1) the formula is consistently great, and a number of things go into that factor: how it applies, how it dries (self-leveling formula wooh!), how long it lasts. A lot of brands achieve this, but they don't necessarily consistently achieve it the way OPI does.

2) Drugstore nail polish has come a long way. I mean, a lot of drugstore brands are fantastic quality now, but they didn't used to and OPI had. For drugstore brands to be competitive, they actually have to make a case for why people should buy, thus the improvement in quality.

3) OPI is a brand many companies (re: drugstore brands) look to for trends. I mean, regardless of your opinion about crackle nail polish, you can't argue that a lot of companies didn't create a bunch of collections that sold a lot of polish (aka generated a lot of income).

I mean, I don't think OPI is the ~most amazing company evar~, but I do think it has earned its kudos. I mean your question is pretty much akin to "oh why does everyone like this-and-this professor at the university, it's not like their classes are any better or they've produced more interesting research lately. Yes, but that doesn't mean they weren't more stand-out in the past. I think a lot of people like OPI still because 1) consistency of quality, 2) brand loyalty, and 3) a lot of classic favourites that other companies haven't had the history to build up yet.
I feel like most people on here dislike Color Club, but it's honestly my favorite. I love it's consistency and how pigmented their colors all are. Plus, it wears well.

 
Joined
Oct 26, 2012
Messages
3,927
Reaction score
52
Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It is on the Cirque de Soleil polish collection. Dunno..they had a hand written tag by the display and the associate still charged me for both. I had to point out the discount lol and have them apply it.
oh yeah, I saw that on my local Sally last week, but they only had like 2 colors left :( /emoticons/sad@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20" />

 

Latest posts

Top