Julep: April 2015 Spoilers

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I upgraded to customize-- it's a pretty cool system!! I ❤️ the colors this month-- I guess I'm just ready to move on from my dark winter colors. All these colors just pop & are so fun & bright-- can't help to be happy when I look at my nails :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

I upgraded to customize-- it's a pretty cool system!! I ❤️ the colors this month-- I guess I'm just ready to move on from my dark winter colors. All these colors just pop & are so fun & bright-- can't help to be happy when I look at my nails :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.
Glad you decided to upgrade! For me - esp since I already have quite a collection of polish - it's more than well worth being able to choose what I'm getting, though it also makes me less likely to skip - a good or bad thing, depending in perspective (enjoyment vs budget) - b/c I can pretty much always put together a box I'm more than happy with, even if it doesn't include a thing from that month's collection. I've found it to often be a good way to restock on some of my fave julep items also. If it were solely a matter of being able to switch polish colors around I might have agreed w/ your thought re: adding on for an extra dollar or two & getting an extra polish vs customizing but b/c - as you've now seen - the options are so much more than that, I don't think that comparison really holds up (unless you are someone who knows you are always going to want several of that month's polishes; then that does make sense).

Like someone else mentioned, I pay every three months so that I'm still paying only $19.99 a month. I wouldn't be willing/ able to pay for a year in order to get the lesser price but I don't see the three months as a huge deal at all, esp as you can still skip anytime & the way they charge you are really only paying two months in advance, for instance say it's currently billing time for month A...if you do the three-month pre-pay you are charged $59.97 rather than 24.99 & that covers you for that month - month A - & two additional months, be it the next two months or two other months further down the calendar. You aren't charged again until you've used up the three months that you've paid for. Some subs charge ahead &/ or charge you every 3 months regardless if skips, etc so just thought I'd answer all the questions I initially had in case - now that you've tried the customized box - you might want to save a few $$ moving forward.

Enjoy your first customized biz! What did you end up choosing?

(I went for the brow product in Taupe - I'm a pale dark blonde - the Makeup Eraser that I've been wanting to get, & the Oxygen Topcoat which I really like...& used Jules to add on the new Oxygen basecoat. The polish shades were nice but nothing really different than ones I already have so I went the more utilitarian route this month.)

Here's a screen shot of my order-- I ❤️ All the colors!! Also, for my beauty product, I went with the sea salt spray. It's s great spray & I ❤️ The piecy texture. The only prob with it is the sprayer- I'm hoping that it's fixed. I wanted to try the brow product but I couldn't decide what color to go with & I have the hardest times with eye brow product color-/ some are too dark, some are too reddish etc. I can't wait to hear everyone's reviews - now that I'm customizing, I can always pick it up next month

image.jpg

Did anyone buy anything from the Secret Store? I really only did so I could use the GETCOLOR promo and pick up some of the glitter polishes I was missing.

Apparently you can use the promo code twice, and Ebates is now 5% on Julep orders so it was a great deal all around.

Have any longer term subscribers had issues with polish becoming gummy/thick and unusable? I've tried my standard rescue trick adding remover but no it didn't work. I had to pitch 6 bottles last night. A few months ago I had also lost 6+ bottles for the same reason. They're all from the last 12 months and several had never even been opened. I don't think it's a storage issue on my end since I store all polish in the same location and haven't had any other brands do this, even much older opened bottles. I'm guessing it's the "5 free" lack of preservatives causing it. I change polish daily so I go through Julep bottles fairly quickly. I'm super bummed because I lost my all time favorite, the Valentines Day 2014 gold-red micro glitter :-(

Have any longer term subscribers had issues with polish becoming gummy/thick and unusable? I've tried my standard rescue trick adding remover but no it didn't work. I had to pitch 6 bottles last night. A few months ago I had also lost 6+ bottles for the same reason. They're all from the last 12 months and several had never even been opened. I don't think it's a storage issue on my end since I store all polish in the same location and haven't had any other brands do this, even much older opened bottles. I'm guessing it's the "5 free" lack of preservatives causing it. I change polish daily so I go through Julep bottles fairly quickly. I'm super bummed because I lost my all time favorite, the Valentines Day 2014 gold-red micro glitter :-(
I find this happens a lot to my Julep top coats and base coats. They work well the first few times and then end up a gummy mess.

All my top coats & base costs from julep have become thick & just useless. I think the polish formula has gotten better recently. When I first joined julep ( around 2.5 years ago ) all the polishes went on super thick & we're just awful.

I've always been able to fix my older polishes w/ polish thinner - NOT remover, that will make things worse in the long run, even if it sometimes seems to help initially - but I also agree that julep's formula has improved over the original/ first polishes.

The only thing I've not been able to rescue was the last 25% of the original oxygen nail treatment.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I'm loving the brow product, though not sure why they are calling it a powder as it is definitely more of a creme/ pomade. Either way I really like it though, & the shade I decided on is perfect for me. I'm fair w/ neutral that leans slightly warm undertones & have dark/ ash-blonde hair. If I'd gone w/ the blonde/ fair/ warm recommendation per their chart I would have gotten warm brown but I went w/ my gut & chose taupe & it's perfect.

If they're from the last year I would definitely call & complain. The little jar on the back of the polish packaging has a "30" which means they should last 30 months after they are opened, so Definitely more than a year! That's standard practice re: the labeling, not something that is specific to julep, & I did have one julep CS rep try to tell me that it meant the # of months from sale?! - which doesn't make sense even, b/c that varies widely - when I called about a their CC creme literally being brown (in the lightest shade) a few months after I bought it; someone else then apologized & rectified the issue but just in case you get the same mis-informed guy I thought I'd let you know! Good luck & sorry to hear about your polishes; that definitely shouldn't be happening!

Did anyone buy anything from the Secret Store? I really only did so I could use the GETCOLOR promo and pick up some of the glitter polishes I was missing.

Apparently you can use the promo code twice, and Ebates is now 5% on Julep orders so it was a great deal all around.
How do you use that code?

Did anybody else get last months silver holo? If you didn't , your not missing out. First , I had to apply 3 coats to get coverage, secondly, there's like 0 holo action going on here. So Boring... On a positive note, I do love the other 3 colors I got!!

Back