Quantcast

Makeup artist

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hey.. I was just wondering if any of you guys were makeup artists.. im sure we all are, but as a profession? I was wondering how you got into it, howd you get where you are today, that sort of stuff. thanks!

 
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
1,934
Reaction score
0
Hi Lizzie,

I've been working professionally as a makeup artist for the past year (my weblink is in my signature). I came to it from a background in fine arts and theater. Got a bachelor's degree in theater from UCLA, did a lot of special effects makeup for plays and decided, for me, it was important to get formal artistry training. I went to Westmore Academy of Cosmetic Arts -- a school in Burbank that I HIGHLY recommend, because they teach color theory (I don't think any other makeup schools do! Strange, huh?).

You can check out the other top schools too, Joe Blasco and MUD. Another option is to find a seasoned makeup artist under whom you can apprentice.

Basically, you just have to submit, submit, submit your resume & portfolio and hope someone bites! One great way to get your feet wet is to work on student films. You get an idea of how a film set runs, you get to practice and if you make a mistake, hey, everyone else there is learning too. The stakes aren't nearly as high as they'd be on a paying, high profile gig. Also, you can do something called testing or TFP (time for prints) or TFCD (time for CD), where you work for free with a photographer in exchange for prints for your portfolio. It's a great way to build working relationships with photographers and models.

Anyways, that's my quick blurb.
If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask or send me a PM (private message)! I should say that I know more about film than fashion, so if you are curious about getting into print work, try checking out this website. She has a great Q&A section for aspiring artists, especially those who want to pursue work primarily in fashion/print/photography.

Hope this helps!

 
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
wow.. id really like to pursue a career in makeup, that would be my ultimate goal, i mean nothing too big, maybe just working in a salon or something would be fun! i just graduated highschool, had my first (and only for the next 10 years
) child in october, so right now im kinda in a weird place. but eventually, id like to go to a cosmetology school, once im stable. but for now, im just playing with my makeup, looking at different sites on the net, learning what i can. do you know of any good sites?

Originally Posted by lusciouslizzie Hey.. I was just wondering if any of you guys were makeup artists.. im sure we all are, but as a profession? I was wondering how you got into it, howd you get where you are today, that sort of stuff. thanks!
 
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
1,934
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by lusciouslizzie wow.. id really like to pursue a career in makeup, that would be my ultimate goal, i mean nothing too big, maybe just working in a salon or something would be fun! i just graduated highschool, had my first (and only for the next 10 years
) child in october, so right now im kinda in a weird place. but eventually, id like to go to a cosmetology school, once im stable. but for now, im just playing with my makeup, looking at different sites on the net, learning what i can. do you know of any good sites? Wow, sounds like you're in a lot of transition right now. I hope everything is going well and that you have a good support network while raising your baby. Is it a boy or a girl?


Anyways, yes, totally keep playing and experimenting. Grab friends & family & try different looks on yourself. An awesome investment would be to buy Kevyn Aucoin's books (Making Faces & Face Forward being my faves). He has fantastic advice, step-by-step application tips, works with models of all ages & complexions... I love, love his books. He has tips on his website as does Bobbi Brown. MAC also has updated face charts on their site for their new collections (Madame B is out and it's real pretty!).

(I like to hyperlink, can you tell?
)

I love Makeuptalk because it's an unbiased site (no selling here, just reviews & advice), where women come to share and chat. Oftentimes, gals will post pics of their FOTD ("Face of the Day"), along with a rundown of the products they used. Gives me inspiration all the time!

I think cosmetology school would be a GREAT option for you -- especially because you have to be licensed in order to do makeup in a salon. A lot of gals in my class at Westmore went to cosmetology school first and then wanted to actually focus on makeup. From what I hear, they don't teach a lot about makeup in cosmetology school, that it's more hair. But you can ask Janelle (NYAngel98) questions, she's a cosmetologist & used to work in a salon. So she knows a lot more than me in that area!

Sorry about writing a mini novel. Hope this is helpful!

 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
186
Reaction score
0
Im glad someone posted this question because I was actually thinking this. Before I got married I was gonna move to Cali to become a MA. I wanted to go to Joe Blasco school of makeup.. to find out theres a school about 30 mins away from me LOL I love makeup.

 
Joined
May 30, 2004
Messages
394
Reaction score
0
I'm a freelance make up artist and recently went back to work for Clinique. Had no experience before working for them the first time and fell in love with them after. Like Trisha, I still don't have a portfolio but I am working on it.

 

Scarlette

Obsessed with lipstick
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
902
Reaction score
3
Location
Bay Area, California
Wow.. 19 with a baby, how do you find time to hang with us?

So here's the story:

I was one of those annoying kids that got into my mother's makeup and ruined most of it. I stole some of it and took it to school and put it on in the bathroom, and took it off before school got out. My mom caught on because her products went missing, and she became an AVON lady to help pay the bills and get her own makeup at a discount. I got many samples and fun things from her and I was obsessed for sure since then. My dad took me to the drug store every Saturday and I bought at least 3 makeup items. My collection was huge by the time I was 15.

I started hanging out at the benefit counter when it first opened up about 7 years ago, and I asked about jobs constantly. I really wanted to work there. I got lucky after submitting an application to Macy's, specifying a cosmetic job and was called in to "try out" for a position at Macy's Benefit as a full-time MA. The try out was a breeze and I got right in and started working. I worked there for two years and one month, then was fired for doing something that I didn't even know was illegal. So, I am now concentrating on college, in the graphic design field, will be graduating this year with my Bachelor's. The only thing I have time for is homework and my boyfriend and I occassionally slip in here to say hi.

 
Joined
May 30, 2004
Messages
394
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Scarlette Wow.. 19 with a baby, how do you find time to hang with us?
So here's the story:

I was one of those annoying kids that got into my mother's makeup and ruined most of it. I stole some of it and took it to school and put it on in the bathroom, and took it off before school got out. My mom caught on because her products went missing, and she became an AVON lady to help pay the bills and get her own makeup at a discount. I got many samples and fun things from her and I was obsessed for sure since then. My dad took me to the drug store every Saturday and I bought at least 3 makeup items. My collection was huge by the time I was 15.

I started hanging out at the benefit counter when it first opened up about 7 years ago, and I asked about jobs constantly. I really wanted to work there. I got lucky after submitting an application to Macy's, specifying a cosmetic job and was called in to "try out" for a position at Macy's Benefit as a full-time MA. The try out was a breeze and I got right in and started working. I worked there for two years and one month, then was fired for doing something that I didn't even know was illegal. So, I am now concentrating on college, in the graphic design field, will be graduating this year with my Bachelor's. The only thing I have time for is homework and my boyfriend and I occassionally slip in here to say hi.


I thought you currently work for Benefit..

 

Scarlette

Obsessed with lipstick
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
902
Reaction score
3
Location
Bay Area, California
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki

I thought you currently work for Benefit..

Heh.. no. They fired the whole Benefit counter last month.
 
Joined
May 30, 2004
Messages
394
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Scarlette Heh.. no. They fired the whole Benefit counter last month. *faints*
I'm so sorry to hear that.

*gives her a hug*

Do you want to go back and work in cosmetics again, or are you taking a break for now?

 

Scarlette

Obsessed with lipstick
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
902
Reaction score
3
Location
Bay Area, California
awww.. I love hugs! Well, I don't know if I will be able to work full-time until I graduate from college. I signed up for 14 units, and it's gonna be tough. I think I will take a part-time job at Starbucks or something until I get outta school.



 
Joined
May 30, 2004
Messages
394
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Scarlette awww.. I love hugs! Well, I don't know if I will be able to work full-time until I graduate from college. I signed up for 14 units, and it's gonna be tough. I think I will take a part-time job at Starbucks or something until I get outta school.







*gives her more hugs*
I do understand. I work at a college and I see students taking on too much and trying to work at the same time. Get some rest, finish school and take an easy job that isn't so stressful.



 
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
10,844
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Joyeuux From what I hear, they don't teach a lot about makeup in cosmetology school, that it's more hair. But you can ask Janelle (NYAngel98) questions, she's a cosmetologist & used to work in a salon. So she knows a lot more than me in that area!
Sorry about writing a mini novel. Hope this is helpful!

My ears were ringing! lol Anyhoo.... in Cosmo. school it is mostly about hair... a bit of nails, and they touch into makeup - but basically it's just about the facial shapes, skin tones, textures, where to apply, how to apply, shadowing, contouring etc... they cover a lot, but not nearly enough tricks and tips that you'd probably need to be an MA in a salon or on your own. I would go to cosmo. school if you want the 'rounded' knowledge of hair, makeup, & nails (mostly hair) or just pick a school like the one Joy mentioned that focuses on mainly makeup. I was (an still am) into both hair & makeup (nails... eh... like doing them, but would much rather someone else do them to me!) I was working in a hair salon for awhile before I left for office jobs... but it was a lot of fun - takes a lot of practice!
Good luck!

 
Joined
Feb 18, 2006
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
HI I live in ny and was wondering what products do you like most to carry in your kits? And where can I purchase them?


 
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
2,087
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by NYAngel98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif My ears were ringing! lol Anyhoo.... in Cosmo. school it is mostly about hair... a bit of nails, and they touch into makeup - but basically it's just about the facial shapes, skin tones, textures, where to apply, how to apply, shadowing, contouring etc... they cover a lot, but not nearly enough tricks and tips that you'd probably need to be an MA in a salon or on your own. I would go to cosmo. school if you want the 'rounded' knowledge of hair, makeup, & nails (mostly hair) or just pick a school like the one Joy mentioned that focuses on mainly makeup. I was (an still am) into both hair & makeup (nails... eh... like doing them, but would much rather someone else do them to me!) I was working in a hair salon for awhile before I left for office jobs... but it was a lot of fun - takes a lot of practice!
Good luck!
That's one thing that really bothered me when I first went out looking for a decent school. Every place I went to would teach me everything BUT makeup - or they would teach a little bit, but not much.

I almost ended up settling for applying at one of these places, until I found out that I was lied to about what kind of programs that the school had. Someone who had just recently graduated from there gave me the heads up... Of course I was mortified, and didn't return their calls.

This school (and others like it) have gotten in trouble for something called

"makeup sharing", which caused an entire class to get a really nasty infection. That just pretty much killed ALL inclination to go to any cosmetology school in this state.

 
Joined
Aug 18, 2005
Messages
351
Reaction score
0
HI, does anybody know of any good online courses for Make Up application, and are they any good anyway being as they are on line?

 
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Messages
22,700
Reaction score
0
I had a link to one (it costs $75USD), but when my PC crashed, I lost the link. Try PMing Candace Corey about it (her username is the same as her name except without the space).

 

Latest posts

Top