Memebox: Seized boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't realize this had become it's own thread...deleted my random skincare product comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if they think something in it is a fake? I know customs in Canada have really started to crack down on the fake/knock off cosmetics. 

Why was the box seized? Was there a product in it that violates import or something? 
I can see it being something like this, only because when I worked in import/export, I saw these cases all the time. Customs would flag shipments for random inspection and then deny them entry for any infraction. If an item contains too much of a certain substance, is not recognized as acceptable ingredient for use in the product it is being marketed as, or some of the products have large anti-dumping duties attached, customs will deny it. Customs also scrutinizes packaging. Granted, I used to deal with oceanic shipments, but most Asian and European companies had to provide proof that none of their packaging contained harmful substances and had been 'sanitized' to ensure that no bugs/diseases/chemicals hitched a ride over. If they're missing any of that information when they're inspecting a shipment, they'll usually just deny it as well. Unless you petition it, and then they will probably ask you to provide all that before they asses your claim.

A friend of mine received a similar love letter from Customs when he tried to mail order prescription drugs from outside the U.S. My guess is that the items are in violation of FDA labeling laws requiring that all ingredients on cosmetics be listed (in English).

I haven't decided if I should petition or abandon the box but leaning towards abandoning as I don't think it's worth the trouble just to find out why it was seized.

I've also recently learned that another lady who was part of the no-tracking number box debacle received the same letter. That makes me curious if an entire shipment was seized upon entering the US.

@@MemeJunkie thank you for letting me know this thread was started. I think I am the lady you are referring to that also got this letter, LOL

I also work with import/export shipment in my job. Shipments through my work get randomly selected for customs exam but my broker deals with it for me. This type of thing happens more often than you would think. My best guess is a pallet of Memebox got pulled for exam. Once they opened them, they seized them for improper labeling of ingredients on cosmetics since the letter references Title 21, section 701 which deals with labeling of cosmetics by the FDA.

Memebox was so vague in their email saying customs destroyed it and I thought it was odd that they shipped our replacements by UPS Next Day Air. I am sure they also got notice of the issue since they sent the packages.

I have let a few people read the letter. They all said the same thing. Either do the option to do nothing which the letter says you can do. Or fill it out and mark abandon and mail it back. Since I recieved a replacement, I really don't care to go through the hassle to get the box.

I just hope this happening doesn't cause more shipments from Memebox to be scrutinized.

Thank you @@LoveSkinCare for your clarification. My sole purpose behind petitioning the box was to find out why it was seized in the first place as the letter didn't state why for the layman.

I think I'll just let this one go and be happy Meme was on top of sending out a replacement as quickly as they did.

Thanks again lady! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thank you @@LoveSkinCare for your clarification. My sole purpose behind petitioning the box was to find out why it was seized in the first place as the letter didn't state why for the layman.

I think I'll just let this one go and be happy Meme was on top of sending out a replacement as quickly as they did.

Thanks again lady! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Your welcome! I had to look up all those titles and sections that they referenced on the first page. That is how I found out what the reason was.
It's so random what they choose to send for exam. At my work, it is usually sea container shipments when we have parts consolidated with other companies freight. They xray it and if they see something, they pull the whole shipment and hold it up. Even if it is the other companies parts they want to examine. I guess it was Memeboxes unlucky day when our boxes were examined.

I think I am leaning toward the "do nothing" option. But I keep thinking if I do that, this will not go away. It may be best to just fill out the form and mark it abandoned. I googled what other people have done when they recieved this type of letter and the things I read were from the extreme of hire a lawyer to the laid back of they just ignored it, LOL so that wasn't much help.

The letter doesn't state why, other than something about Title 19 and being falsely manifested and inadmissible by FDA. No idea what any of this means. Any of you ladies with a legal background want to chime in? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

There was something in the box that did not meet FDA requirements or that was NOT FDA approved, thus is why they seized the box. Could be an ingredient in one of the products. As for title 19 {"being falsely manifested and inadmissible by FDA"} that means one of the products or the products ingredients was falsely licensed to enter the USA, it was not approved.

I am new to Memeboxes compared to most folks here.  (My addiction started this Nov.)  When my first box arrived I saw gift checked and thought strange, no custom fees are being paid.  Earlier in this topic someone said under a certain amount is exempt so that rules out the no customs explanation.  The most likely reason for seizure is due to product ingredients that do not meet FDA approval.  I'm going out on the proverbial limb with this -- how many customs peeps know the Korean language.  My guess, not many but there are plenty who would say since I can't read it I will reject it. 

If Memebox replaces the box, great.  However, if you decide to have a go at getting the item, I would write to my Senator or House of Representative member and let them handle it for you.  Reason being that is part of their job is resolving problems their constituents encounter with gov't agencies.  By turning the matter over to let a Senator or House member that member's request is red flagged, meaning the time clock begins ticking. Customs has to respond back in 2 weeks to the Senator or House member.  If at all possible, provide in English the ingredients of the products to the initial communication to the Senator or House member.  It bypasses the lack of knowledge of the Korean language.  If there is an ingredient banned by the FDA, then it's a done deal, but I would want to know what ingredient and see it in writing from the FDA as being not something allowed into the country.  (I always want proof in writing.) 

Back