Something I read about HE vs LE makeup. :) Thought I'd share.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From Family Circle, March 2007.

You don't have to spend a fortune on makeup to look your absolute best, but sometimes it's better to ante up.

SPEND:

Lipstick: High-end brands tend to be more emollient and contain more color pigment, so they go on smoothly and last longer.

Foundation: Flawless skin is worth every cent. A much larger range of shades means you can find your perfect match.

Makeup brushes: Pros agree you'll get the most natural finish using good quality brushes. They last for years, justifying your investment.

SAVE:

Mascara: You'll do fine with the drugstore brands -- most of the pricier ones rely on virtually the same technology.

Lipgloss: Gorgeous shades can be had on the cheap, and the inexpensive lines are not as sticky as they used to be.

Nail Polish: Low-price finds mimic the high-end hues. Besides, color trends tend to change every season, and a polish has a limited shelf life.

My own questions, though ... what about eyeshadow? And does OPI count as "low-price"? 'cuz I don't think I could give up my OPI... And what about skin care? HE or LE for that? :/

Eyeshadow could be LE if you have a good base, but I still prefer HE.

Skin care is really whatever works for me. My skin is pretty good and I can get away with LE right now, but I might try some other stuff when I get older.

OPI is kind of in the middle but closer to HE in my opinion.

ditto about the e/s and good base - I am using (and loving!) some really cheap e/s now thanks to UDPP

btw, whats OPI?

Thanks for the info. I have to say that when I started using makeup, the drugstore quality was awful! So I only used department store brands, but lately the quality is almost the same as department store brands. Ive bought some shadows and mascaras and all that stuff from drugstores and I am very impressed, specially the shadows, they have come a long long way. I have a bunch of drugstore makeup now too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's this awesome nail polish. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It comes in so many different colors! It runs about $7.50 USD, but there are places you can find it cheaper, especially online.

Ooo! That's cool! Any more lines/products that are similar?

Thanks for sharing that. I disagree with a few things on there. I think HE nail polish is much better as are HE lipglosses.

I have to agree with you there.

I've had much better luck with HE stuff than I have LE stuff, although there is some buried treasures within th LE lot.

This may be solely my opinion, but I've found that some of the LE lipglosses tend to be a bit more watery and fade quicker than some of the HE lipglosses.

for like $7.50 a bottle OPI is HE to me. I think eyeshadow really depends. The only ds es that are good are really NYX and some Milani but not many.

Online you can find opi for less than 4 dollars :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But i think that some drugstore lipsticks are worth the same as a high end

For me I like HE blush because my skin tends to be a bit oily in the summer and I want something that will stay on all day. For the rest of the year my skin is normal and I don't mind using LE blush.

Latest posts

Back