Starlooks October 2014 (SPOILERS)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I just got mine in the mail today, it's Book 2 for those of you who are curious, and it's very dark, which given my skin tone and hair color looks ridiculous on me. The brush is entirely useless as are the stencils, although others may be able to use those, I just don't pluck my brows a ton because I'm fairly happy with my natural shape. I do like the tweezers and the cream highlight shade, although the card says its supposed to be a powder. 

I feel like saying the powders can double as eyeshadows is a cop out, because they realized that not all of their subscribers would have a use for this kit. I almost cancelled my subscription and now I'm kind of wishing I did. I just keep telling myself to hold out for December because I want that giant palette. 

The cardboard palette itself feels really low quality to me. The pans in mine don't sit nicely in their spots; I'll probably end up putting them in a small z-palette I have somewhere.

I really love my kit!  I don't have any issues with the items staying in their pans and I do appreciate that the box is made from recycled paper....

The colors are perfect for my  brown eyebrows - this isn't the darkest shade(BK-1), thankfully.  There are two shades lighter than this and the BK-3 would have been too light for me (this is BK-2) and BK-4 is for blonds. 

I am so sorry that this kit doesn't work for some of you, because I do think it is really nice!  I would not use the colors as eyeshadows - they are a different formula and aren't pigmented enough for that.  But they have enough for eyebrow shading.  The last thing anyone wants is to wipe their brows and have a big ol' brown streak now running across their forehead.

starlooks2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad I skipped out on this month. My hair is currently blonde so the chances of me getting a kit light enough to work for me were pretty slim. Might join back up next month though. Will have to wait for the preview.

Too dark for me :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have blonde hair so it would look super funny. I'm quite disappointed in the choice-not the product but wish we could have a color choice. Not pleased .

has anyone emailed starlooks and stated that they would like to exchange this for a lighter kit? 

I was so pleasantly surprised to find that I received a shade I can actually use, I nearly peed my pants. I don't usually use brow powders because I legitimately have almost no eyebrows, but I'm going to give it a whirl.

On the downside, I don't feel like the brush in the kit will work very well, like...it  might be too fluffy? The pants also don't sit in the case very well, but that's only a  minor detail since they don't see like they're going to fall out and I won't be traveling with this anyway. Other than that, I think it seems pretty on par with Anastasia's  brow book.

I got mine yesterday morning, and it's nice, but I'm not sure I'll end up using it. The brush is good, very precise, and the wax does really help your brows stay in place. But, since I'm getting a dipbrow in a few days... yeah.

I feel like it was a very bad idea for them to do this kit without offering lighter shades. They work for me, but would be pretty much moot for lighter brows. If they're only going to include one item, they really needed to make sure that all their subscribers could use it. And tacking on a "you can always use it as an eyeshadow palette!" doesn't really cut it at all.

Was really excited to try the brow stencils, but discovered upon using them that I HATE brow stencils! Haha. How are you even supposed to keep them in place? Tape them to your forehead? Holding them over your brow just creates too much room for error, imo. 

Ah well. I'll probably gift it to my roommate for her birthday. She is as into brows as I am, and is running low on her current brow powder.

I actually cancelled my subscription. I think I'll resubscribe for the gorgeous palette in December but I think I'm going to take a break from makeup subscription boxes for awhile. I just invested quite a bit in Makeup Geek shadows, so that should hold me off my makeup addiction for awhile. Instead I'm going to try the Love with Food subscription service! Yummy snacks AND it is for a good cause (meals donated to those in need)...I'll take it!

My box this month will be gifted since I alreay have the Anastasia brow express, that has been my go to kit for years.

Back