***The Official Beijing 2008 Olympic Games Thread***

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strange, I could have sworn that is the symbol for the 2008 Goatse London Olympics!

Love it Darla - good researching!

So who won what today?? Haven't been paying much attention.... too much work around the house today... every day... lol

I know there has been a lot said about the human rights violations in China and I don't want to dwell on those. But i do have an observation, in the past oppressive regimes have had a way of falling after hosting the Olympics. Almost a decade and a World War after they hosted the Olympics in 1936 the Nazi government in Germany fell. A few years after hosting the 1980 Olympics in Moscow the Soviet government fell. and the same thing happened in Yugoslavia after it held the Winter games in 1984 in Sarajevo.

I stayed up till 3 am watching beach volley ball and badminton.... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Canada's only boxer, a welter weight, lost his first and only bout to a Kazikstan fighter ranked #2.

Do you folks know that every Kazikstan athlete that brings home a gold medal gets $250,000!!!

I wish the Olympics were in NYE time zone - my sleeping is getting all screwed up!

i still remember when you were supposed to be an amateur to compete. Jim Thorpe (USA1912 track and field) had his medals stripped from him because he played semi-pro baseball. only made something like $2 a game. After a long campaign the medals were finally reinstated after his death.

He was voted the most incredible athlete of the first half of the 20th century.

Some amazing swimming tonight. First Maggie Hoff surprises everyone and almost wins just to be nipped in the end by a Brit.

The relay then was spectacular with the anchor swimmer really putting on an amazing performance. Wow that was exciting.

US cruised past China in basketball.

Okay-

The issue with the ages of the Chinese women's gymnasts;

the girl, Deng Linlin, in particular, I noticed that she is missing a lower tooth as if waiting for the tooth fairy.

How old is it that we stop losing teeth?

If her tooth is there in a year, will that prove she was under 16??

Originally Posted by Jinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif Okay-The issue with the ages of the Chinese women's gymnasts;

the girl, Deng Linlin, in particular, I noticed that she is missing a lower tooth as if waiting for the tooth fairy.

I remember reading about that a few weeks ago.... Maybe a comrad knocked her tooth out during political awareness class? lol
Did you see the 35 year old gymnist from Germany... A russian but competing for Germany... She did good on the vault..... It's like her 5th olympics...

Mens Beach volleybal... Argentina beat Latvia who had upset the Americans the night before.... When do the women play?

Originally Posted by Jinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif Okay-The issue with the ages of the Chinese women's gymnasts;

OMG...that girl is so 12. At most. lol. This coming from someone who gets asked if she wants a children's menu at 26 years old. I can tell when someone looks young vs. is young! lol!

And what was up with the judges!?! Shawn Johnson gave an almost flawless performance on balance beam and one of the judges (Argentinian, I believe?) gave her an 8.8 for execution!!! That means they took off 1.2 points, when she should have received a high 9! The same thing happened with Nastia Liukin! They both received a total score of 15.975 when they most definitely deserved to be in the 16's for those performances!

Bela Karolyi even called the judges out in an interview afterwards! He basically said that the new judging system allows the judges to basically do whatever they want while going unnoticed. He said he thinks the judges are expressing anti-American bias. If you look at similar Chinese and US performances last night, the Chinese definitely were given better scores.

I know it's too much to expect judging to actually be fair, but I wish they wouldn't punish athletes simply because of what country they're from!

Originally Posted by Darla_G /img/forum/go_quote.gif Some amazing swimming tonight. First Maggie Hoff surprises everyone and almost wins just to be nipped in the end by a Brit.
The relay then was spectacular with the anchor swimmer really putting on an amazing performance. Wow that was exciting.

That relay was amazing!!! OMG. lol.
I would have been happy that they won simply because I want Michael Phelps to get his 8 gold medals...just because it's such a great feat to accomplish! But after the one French swimmer was talking trash about how they were going to "smash" the Americans, that just made me happier that the Americans won. lol. I don't particularly care for arrogant people. lol.

I'm still confused with the new scroing system! What was wrong with each judge scoring them and then throwing out the high and the low? And who determines what the dificulty level is? Just seems to overly complicated and too many variables...

Kind of why I like events where you race or score points.. First one there wins... No question as to how good or bad they looked getting accross the finish line first!! Lol

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm still confused with the new scroing system! What was wrong with each judge scoring them and then throwing out the high and the low? And who determines what the dificulty level is? Just seems to overly complicated and too many variables...
Kind of why I like events where you race or score points.. First one there wins... No question as to how good or bad they looked getting accross the finish line first!! Lol

They created the new scoring system because they felt the old one was corrupt and judges were "cheating". But this new system just makes it EASIER for judges to just do whatever they want! It's absolutely absurd, and I hope they go back to the old system for sure!

Or maybe put a line on the mat and the first one that can do so many floor routine moves and get accross the line wins?? Have more than one competitor on the floor at the same time.... Make it more interesting.... Lol. Add some legal checking!! End up looking a lot like big time wrestling... Hahaha.

Originally Posted by Darla_G /img/forum/go_quote.gif Some amazing swimming tonight. First Maggie Hoff surprises everyone and almost wins just to be nipped in the end by a Brit.

I know, this was so exciting! My cat was on my lap during the men's 4x100 relay and I was hooting and hollering so loud that he bolted out of the room in fear. Last nights swimming was absolutely amazing!

That relay last night was amazing! Jason Lezak did an amazing job at the finish. I'm most looking forward for the men's all around in gymnastics...rooting for Yang Wei
smile.gif

Whose winning the gold.... In sports that the media here is not covering...

Thailand for Womens 53kg weightlifting

India for Mens 10m air rifle

Spain for Mens Road Race Cycling

Romania for Womens Judo

Finland for Womens Trap Shooting

Slovinia for Mens single canoeing

Azerbaijan for Mens judo

North Korea for womens 63kg weightlifting

Congratulations!!!

Maybe it's just me, but I find it a bit ridiculous how many medals you can actually win in sports such as swimming and track & field. I mean, look at swimming... 100m, 200m, each have breaststroke, backstroke, freestyle, butterfly that you can win in. Then there are 50m, 400m, 1500m freestyles. Then there are 200m and 400m individual medleys. And then there is 100 m four-men relay and also 200 m four-men relay. AND there is a 10k marathon. That's 16 gold medals, 16 silver, 16 bronze available in just swimming, for each gender.

I don't know. I guess I just find it not fair because they are talking about getting rid of softball in Olympics and that's only just one gold, one silver, one bronze... maybe they should consider getting rid of 200m swimming category or something... Cuz if 100m is considered short distance and 1500m is considered long, we can just do with one mid-range distance, can't we?

The US men's gymnastics was kind of painful to watch at the end, but I'm glad they at least got the Bronze!
smile.gif

I was mainly out in the front yard watching meteors, Shaundra so I got to see just a bit of the men's... I kept noticing that the Chineese were gettin higher marks and had hiogher dificulties.. Though they didn't more dificult than anyone elses... Did see Phelps win gold #3.. How does he do that?

I have been watching Msnbc till like 2am... Love seeing something different and they only show that in non-primtime...

Back