33 Days of Decluttering - November/December 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I put three pristine full-sized single eye shadows, two pristine lip glosses, and two gently used makeup bags in with my pile to donate to the YWCA.

Its almost a shame Christmas is right around the corner - getting rid of stuff is starting to feel better to me than getting stuff. lol

Day 31:

1. Lunch bag with broken zipper - trash.
  2. Lip scrub from Lush. It expired before I could use it up and I wasn't super fond of it anyway - Trash.
  3. A stained shirt - trash

Ok, so I guess I'm not good at decluttering a small amount every day because I just picked 2 days to MAJORLY declutter.

I'm going to count this a success because I got rid of lots of old make-up, knick-knacks, random crap, clothes, shoes, old toiletries, etc. I ended up with a huge bag + large box to give to Goodwill, 4 large trashbags full of garbage, and a re-organized vanity, bedroom, and bathroom! YAY!!!

Here's just one of the boxes from my clean-out/declutter session yesterday:

photo 1.JPG

It shows some of the makeup I got rid of as well in the ziplocks.

Day 25 -- a measuring cup where all the measuring marks have rubbed off, thus rendering it useless,

an inadvertent toss-out of a cup that I dropped and broke while rummaging around,  looking for things to declutter, a half-full bag of potting soil that's been hiding in the garage for years, and frankly I'm afraid to know what's going on in there.

Two pristine lipsticks from GWPs went in my donation pile for the women's shelter.  I took a mini lipstick & mini lipgloss to work called it a present and gave to a colleague who appreciated it.

The recycling bin went to the curb tonight full and it will be empty tomorrow so I will be able to purge some more stuff - probably shredding old personal documents in the near future.  Conveniently, there is now a clothing donation bin in a parking lot across the street from my office. 

Purging my old unnecessary belongings is making me feel really good.  Donating things that can still be used is important to me.  While I need to free up space yet I don't want to be wasteful.  I have a ways to go though I have definitely made a dent!  

There are some unopened dry goods and canned goods in my pantry which I am planning to donate to the food bank in the near future.  

I should have taken a 'before' but anyway, here's my vanity after reorganizing all my makeup.

photo(9).JPG

All my makeup is stored in this vanity, in my daily make-up bag, and in my medium-sized train case. I still need to do a little more decluttering, I think- like especially for some of those old perfumes that I never even wear! But other than that, I'm happy!

Day 32:

1. Stretched out headband - trash.
  2. Costume parts - donate.
  3. A purse that just doesn't work for me - Donate.

When I replaced my big old bathroom vanity with a smaller more modern one resulting in increased floor space but the storage space decreased significantly.  The bathroom etagere I ordered a few weeks ago arrived today so I can use it to do a better job of organizing my bathroom.  

Today I attacked a high shelf in a storage closet at the end of the hall where I discovered items which haven't seen the light of day in years.  Some items are still useful like the first aid kit while others - like the four cosmetics bags and an old wallet have to go.  Three of the cosmetics bags and the old wallet are in respectable shape so they're getting donated. One of the cosmetics bags is worn so it got tossed.  

There was a first aid kit in the closet which obviously hasn't been needed/used in the house so I plan to put in my vehicle along with the emergency car kit I won at a recent staff party.  

Later tonight I'm going to stand up on a chair and take down the items on the highest shelf.  Odds are I will be trashing and/or donating most of what's hiding up there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 33 - last day for me!

1. A bottle of expired vitamins - Trash
  2. Mini Stability Ball and dvd - who am I kidding, I am never going to use this. Donate
  3. Lanyard for my work keys that broke. I was going to try and fix it since I really like it, but I know it will sit here collecting dust. Trash.
Thanks for this challenge @@miss lawson ! I have rid my home of more than 100 items and it's really exciting!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I replaced my big old bathroom vanity with a smaller more modern one resulting in increased floor space but the storage space decreased significantly.  The bathroom etagere I ordered a few weeks ago arrived today so I can use it to do a better job of organizing my bathroom.  

Today I attacked a high shelf in a storage closet at the end of the hall where I discovered items which haven't seen the light of day in years.  Some items are still useful like the first aid kit while others - like the four cosmetics bags and an old wallet have to go.  Three of the cosmetics bags and the old wallet are in respectable shape so they're getting donated. One of the cosmetics bags is worn so it got tossed.  

There was a first aid kit in the closet which obviously hasn't been needed/used in the house so I plan to put in my vehicle along with the emergency car kit I won at a recent staff party.  

Later tonight I'm going to stand up on a chair and take down the items on the highest shelf.  Odds are I will be trashing and/or donating most of what's hiding up there.
Sounds like you are doing some serious decluttering. Love it! It feels so good, doesn't it? Let us know how the new bathroom vanity works out for you with the new storage solution!

Day 33 - last day for me!

1. A bottle of expired vitamins - Trash
  2. Mini Stability Ball and dvd - who am I kidding, I am never going to use this. Donate
  3. Lanyard for my work keys that broke. I was going to try and fix it since I really like it, but I know it will sit here collecting dust. Trash.
Thanks for this challenge @@miss lawson ! I have rid my home of more than 100 items and it's really exciting!
Congratulations on completeing this challenge! That is so awesome!

Sounds like you are doing some serious decluttering. Love it! It feels so good, doesn't it? Let us know how the new bathroom vanity works out for you with the new storage solution!
My old vanity was so ugly and dated - I am definitely happy its gone - it just had two doors and no drawers.    This is what the new vanity looks like - it doesn't stick out from the wall very far so there isn't a lot of storage space inside.  Though using one of these inside of each of the drawers in the new vanity helps keeps smaller odds and ends organized.  The etagere is like looks like this and I like it a LOT - it was the only storage option I could think of that wouldn't take up a bunch of floor space in my small bathroom.  The toughest part about getting the etagere set up was getting it out of the box. There are cheaper ones out there but they look like a legendary pain in the rear to assemble.

Day Five:

14. Sample of eyeshadow that I got from birchbox. I liked two of the colors but never reached for them.  My sister was thrilled when she saw them so they have a new home

15.  Nyx love in paris eyeshadow palette given to my little sister.  She is also very excited about these that I found to be too glittery for me to reach for often

Day Six:

16.  Pair of shorts with a rip. These were my favorite denim shorts but let's be real I'm not going to sew them up nicely.  I did get a good 5-7 years out of them and I have other denim shorts that don't suck so into the trash they go!

17.  Old exams/papers/notes were thrown away

18. notecard holder- will try to give to sister because she is still in school

19.  old photo frame was handmade and the paint is annoying and keeps getting stuck to things.  I will print a new copy of the photo in the frame which was thrown away.

20.  Compass and protractor - will be donated to sister or someone else

21.  Painting of a duck made by a friend. It's cute but not really my style.  I won't ever display it anywhere so don't need to keep it in my storage pile.

22.  Old name tag for a place I haven't worked in 5 years - trashed (x2)

23.  Hat from old job - donated

24.  Pair of ugly pink sandals - donated

25.  Old swimsuit with the weirdest stiffened elastic ever - trashed

26.  Old swimsuit I don't like the cut of - donated

27.  T-shirt with a pattern/drawing I don't like anymore - donated

28. sweatshirt that is too small - donated

29.  Not-cute skirt - donated (x2)

30.  Not-cute shorts - donated

31.  Old Halloween costume - trashed 

32.  Too short turtleneck shirt - donated

33.  Old dress - donated

34.  Trashy top - donated because I am too classy 4 that

35.  Old knee pads - I don't play volleyball anymore, will hunt for new happy owners

36.  Green yoga pants - donated

37.  Worn out leggings - trash  

38.  Old playsuit - donated

39.  Old phone - donated

40. Old glasses - donated

Expect some more tomorrow as I continue going through the things stored at my parents' house but I give up and want some family time for the rest of tonight

My old vanity was so ugly and dated - I am definitely happy its gone - it just had two doors and no drawers.    This is what the new vanity looks like - it doesn't stick out from the wall very far so there isn't a lot of storage space inside.  Though using one of these inside of each of the drawers in the new vanity helps keeps smaller odds and ends organized.  The etagere is like looks like this and I like it a LOT - it was the only storage option I could think of that wouldn't take up a bunch of floor space in my small bathroom.  The toughest part about getting the etagere set up was getting it out of the box. There are cheaper ones out there but they look like a legendary pain in the rear to assemble.
Those look awesome! I like the sink and how it fits in with that vanity. I also really like the etagere. I would totally be tempted to go out and get one for my bathroom, but we have one of those cheap plaster board cabinets above it. I do have one of those hang-over-the-door shoe organizers on the bathroom door and it holds all of my bathroom toiletries- I share a bathroom with my sister and she takes up most of the space, hahah!

I'm pretty much done with decluttering for a little while, but I'll probably start up again in January on my clothes and books.

I'm not sure what day I'm on, but I have a ton of decluttering to do, so I'm just going to keep pressing forward. Plus I don't do stuff every day, so I'll just post as I get rid of things.

3-4 Christmas/Holiday shirts, they were the ones I don't wear because they were too small, itchy or just not my style, donate

Lone sock-haven't seen it's mate in months, trash

Already took back the few gifts that we got that we didn't like/need. We are SO bad at returning things that this is a huge plus!!

Day 26 -- Cleaned out one drawer in a tv stand. There were some old receipts, user's manuals, and some old book. It was a satisfying little stack.

Back