Foundation Primers: Necessary or Waste of Money??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd just like to say out of the 4 I've tried. Which are smashbox photo finish. Gosh. Body shop and 17. In that order is highest priced first too. I found that 17 is the best and feels so nicer on the skin not as oil slick. I find that it buffs in creamy and turns like powdering. But doesn't turn into a powder form. Kinda hard to explain where as the others feel heavy until you've tried the 17 and it's only £5 which is amazing I love it. Well worth a try! I won't try anything else now. Love it.

Originally Posted by Aishu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for these! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> -googles HC's site-

I was going to get the ELF one, but people said it ran out way quick and I need one where I can go to the store to get more if I need to. But, oh, how I love ELF <3

I would buy the ELF primer still b/c it's so inexpensive. You can buy many of them for back ups for the price of high end Smashbox, which is around $40 or so.  Big difference.  So if you like the ELF, get it. I personally have the ELF, Smashbox in Light, Monistat, and Sally Hansen primers.  I've only tried the Smashbox thus far and I love the way my makeup wears with it underneath.

I use Make Up For Ever's HD Primer and I definitely notice a difference in my skin's appearance when using it. It's smoother and looks less flawed. I don't use it everyday, but sometimes I use it without foundation at all. I'd suggest going to Sephora and getting a sample of a primer to see if you're interested.

I started using it when a make up artist friend told me about it and spoke honestly to me about it not being a waste of money and since then I will never go back.    I use Estee Lauder primers and Foundation and have dry and flaky skin, especially on my nose with large pores and since using the primer it stays on for longer and the foundation doesn't exagerate the dry skin and large pores.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Foundation primers make a huge difference in how your overall makeup looks! Im a makeup artist from NJ and I never put foundation on any of my clients without a primer first. I really like the Smashbox primer, works really nice, and if you have more oily skin the Pore Minimizer from Clinique works great!

To be honest, I don't believe that primers are a must. It's true that women for many generations have used makeup without needing them and so why now? While part of me believes that some primers are indeed effective (I'll get to that later on), some are just out for your money. While I never use a face primer, I've tried the UDPP and it works great. However, I don't use it everyday and I recommend a primer only when necessary, such as maybe on your wedding day or when you have to wear a full face of makeup (i.e. concealors, foundation, blush, contour powder, 8 eyeshadow shades, mascara, false lashes, brow powder etc, etc) and make sure everything stays in place for longer.

The truth is, most girls don't head outdoors with that much makeup all the time. Some primers are meant to "protect your skin from the makeup" that you use, but if you use the right type of makeup, you definitely don't need a layer of protection! I mean, if, for example a certain foundation breaks you out, would you use a primer underneath it to prevent breakouts or would you just change the foundation altogether? Right?

Even where eyeshadows are concerned, primers are not a must unless you want really intense colours and get the most out of your shadows, and/or you are heading for a rock concert where you'll be perspiring after a while. As a final note, I feel that primers could be just another thing in the beauty industry that companies come up with to make you think that your skin is not healthy enough (or doesn't hold makeup well enough, or just not good enough for whatever reason) and needs more help.

xoxo,

Roxanne

I think it makes my foundation go on better.... Ive used Smashbox PohotoFinish for years but switched to Monistate Powder Chaffing Gel because it works just as good and is $5 vs $36!

It definitely keeps my foundation on longer, keeps my face from getting oily in the summer.  Monistat gel is definitely worth getting vs any other face primer.  

I have never heard about primers until i discovered mineral makeup abt 4 yrs ago.  I feel that a primer shld be able to do its job whether its high end or low end. 

I just recently bought the MUFE matt primer, it cost me Singapore $68 cause I heard good raves about it. I know it is very pricey but I really wanted my foundation to stay put in this hot humid weather in Singapore.  I think it was just a waste of money cos it did not work on me and I was very dissappointed.  It is my first ever pricey stuff I bought and it did not produce results. I became greasy aft a few hours and my foundation just slide off.  I will still use it though cause of the price i paid for it.  I like the texture of it when I applied it on my face but the results are bad.  It is a high end product but I think it will loose out to a much cheaper better worth it primer.  I am still in search of one...but will go for a better cheaper one.  Maybe I shld buy and try the ELF primer....

My friend gave me a sample primer from Sheumera...it is very much lighter shade...I used it twice and found that it worked.  My makeup stayed put atleast for about 6hrs.  The shade is way too light for my dark brown skin, maybe I shld check it out at the counter to see if they have a few shades.   

A primer is a definite must for myself. After trying it for the first time about 3 months ago I could never go back to not using one. My skin is less oily and I haven't broke out since (always on my jawline or forehead). Also, my foundation goes on a lot smoother now and stays on longer -- it looks more "finished" if that makes sense...

For me, I love primers.  I feel like it gives all of my makeup a smoother common denominator.  And I can go from desert sunlight to indoor lame fluorescent light and it looks great under all of those conditions. 

I do not yet have any experience with primers for eyelids, but see lots of recommendations for the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion, and think I will give it a go, especially being that I plan to experiment more with eyeshadow. As far as face/foundation primer, I have used Napoleon Perdis and Smashbox, and prefer the Smashbox formula. I definitely think that primer makes a difference; when I have forgotten to apply it, my liquid foundation seeped into my skin in unflattering ways. Primer seems to make everything glide on more smoothly, and gives an overall more "clean" look to the skin, after makeup has been applied. I also think primer keeps makeup on the face for longer.

I have combination/oily skin and I've been trying to find a good primer for a couple of years.  I've tried Tarte Primed and Poreless, Smashbox Photofinish (original clear), Revlon, and Mirabella.  It seems like the silicone-based ones are all basically the same formula.  I really can't find one that works!

However, I have found that eyelid primers are worth it.  I've been using Urban Decay Primer Potion since it was in the old bottle and the only "shade" offered.  It is pretty expensive, so I tried the e.l.f. eyeshadow primer and I think it was pretty comparable.  For a few days, I wore the same eyeshadow/liner on both eyes but I put e.l.f. on one eye and UDPP on the other.  At the end of each day, the e.l.f. held up pretty well.  The most noticeable difference was that the UDPP held up better against creasing.

e.l.f. is good enough that I use it as my every day primer, and only use UDPP on weekends and stuff other than just work.  Now if I could find a primer for my face I would be set!

Back