May 2013 Ipsy bag!!! (Spoilers)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was one of the last people to cave and subscribe for a second bag and I live in the Pacific Northwest. My bag just left KY yesterday... Sigh. It's going to be a long wait.

I'm already sure I'll love everything in my bag (actually hoping for a concealer that's either too light or too dark so I can use it for either highlighting or contouring - yaby's concealer though very creamy does not offer enough coverage for me). What has me nervous is the perfume... I hated Gardenia! I'm vanilla perfumes all the way - fingers crossed that's what I'll get in this second bag! 
add_best_wishes.gif

Originally Posted by MUfiend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enabler alert! If you didn't get the hair products but you're interested in trying the macadamia oil products, ULTA is having an online special - with any $20 macadamia purchase, the oil treatment and masque (3.3 ounces) are free. The ad says the oil treatment in the .35 ounce but when I checked out it was the 1 ounce. Yay!!!! And if you want to avoid shipping and buy more - there's a 20% off 1 item coupon for non prestige items. Just use the code on the home page.
Hmm...I added $21.50 in macadamia products, but no gift showed up for me. I also couldn't find it on the GWP page. Wonder if they pulled it? :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by laelene /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really like the concept of the bags... if only there were more options when it came to that kind of subscription. I currently get Yuzen, which is amazing and perfect for me, but I wanted to try some other smaller subscriptions with skincare, nail care, and minimal makeup items like mascara, lip gloss, concealer. I'll check out Beauty Army though, thanks for the recommendation!
laelene--Something else you might want to look into is Beauty Fix. I think you can either get it one time or sign up for the subscription, but instead of being monthly, it comes out every time we start a new season--Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. It does cost more--$50--but you pick your products, many of which are full size or larger samples, and they have lots of skin care because I think they're associated with dermstore. They do a few makeup items too, but of course you don't have to choose them. I have found several great serums and treatment masks through them. The only sad thing is, usually I can't repurchase things I like as they are too expensive. So I look at BF as a way to splurge on things I otherwise couldn't afford. A treat for my skin. And yes, I seek out the makeup more than you would, lol!

Originally Posted by Heather Hicks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

laelene--Something else you might want to look into is Beauty Fix. I think you can either get it one time or sign up for the subscription, but instead of being monthly, it comes out every time we start a new season--Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. It does cost more--$50--but you pick your products, many of which are full size or larger samples, and they have lots of skin care because I think they're associated with dermstore. They do a few makeup items too, but of course you don't have to choose them. I have found several great serums and treatment masks through them. The only sad thing is, usually I can't repurchase things I like as they are too expensive. So I look at BF as a way to splurge on things I otherwise couldn't afford. A treat for my skin. And yes, I seek out the makeup more than you would, lol!
Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely look into it... I guess $50 every 3 months isn't so bad.

Originally Posted by Xiang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ipsy is mostly known for makeup samples. You can also check out Beauty Box 5. They offer a mix of skincare, hair products, beauty tools, and very basic cosmetic products.
I wish more companies did the fun little makeup bags rather than boxes! Thanks for letting me know about Beauty Box 5. Trying to find some info of previous boxes and if it looks good I might switch!

Hmm...I added $21.50 in macadamia products, but no gift showed up for me. I also couldn't find it on the GWP page. Wonder if they pulled it? :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Sorry Heather. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It was their daily beauty steal yesterday only. It looks like they have a special for a free masque on a $40 macadamia oil purchase until 6/1 though.

For those of us whose bag was lost in transit and was wondering if we would get the items that was shown in our glam room, I email Ipsy and asked and this was the response:

Thank you for following up with me on your Glam Bag's status! I am so sorry you did not receive your Glam Bag. We will send a replacement out to you right away. Also, please note that we might not be able to ship you the exact items that were in our original Glam Bag. If we are unable to provide you with the same item, we will send you a comparable substitute product

So I guess we will be surprised!

My new bag was shipped Friday but tracking hasn't updated yet.

I am thinking about maybe using the Nume code(if I ever get my bag..lol) and purchasing a new Nume hairdryer. Does anyone have one and what do you think of it? Looked up YouTube videos but most of those were given to the reviewer for free and I would like an unbiased opinion of the product. Thanks!!

For those of us whose bag was lost in transit and was wondering if we would get the items that was shown in our glam room, I email Ipsy and asked and this was the response: Thank you for following up with me on your Glam Bag's status! I am so sorry you did not receive your Glam Bag. We will send a replacement out to you right away. Also, please note that we might not be able to ship you the exact items that were in our original Glam Bag. If we are unable to provide you with the same item, we will send you a comparable substitute product So I guess we will be surprised! My new bag was shipped Friday but tracking hasn't updated yet.
Thanks for this. But I wish I was getting my original bag! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by bellatrix42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm fairly certain the Macademia GWP was yesterday only.
Originally Posted by MUfiend /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry Heather.
frown.gif
It was their daily beauty steal yesterday only. It looks like they have a special for a free masque on a $40 macadamia oil purchase until 6/1 though.
Yeah, that's one reason I don't order much from Ulta. They time their offers, not all of them, but some. I absolutely HATE it when they send out emails where it is good for 4 hours only. I have less of a life than most people, but even I don't have all my time available to devote to checking every hour just to make sure Ulta hasn't sent out an email, lol! If it is something I would take advantage of, you just know I'm going to miss it. Same as with this one. Oh well. Thanks anyway guys!

Originally Posted by Krendall /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for this. But I wish I was getting my original bag!
frown.gif
Krendall. I don't blame you! I would pitch a (calm) fit, if such a thing is possible. Keep communicating with them about how you did not get what you paid for (which is true) and how others got their customization but you did not. If it comes down to it, you could also threaten to drop your subscription. But be sure to propose a solution. I can understand they might not have the things they originally sent you still in stock. However, that doesn't mean they can't do *something special* to make up for the fact you are not getting your original bag. They could throw in an extra or a gift certificate or something. Maybe even something they still have on hand from a month or two back. You clearly are disappointed, and you have every right to be. It certainly isn't your fault your bag didn't make it to your address. It kind of isn't Ipsy's fault, but then again, it kind of is. I'm not a statistical expert, but it seems to me that far too many customers have complained that their bags went missing this month. Ipsy should be outraged at the shipper. Nonetheless, it is a shipper they chose. The customer should not suffer and if Ipsy feels wronged, they need to seek an answer from DHL rather than punishing innocent customers. Ok, time to climb off the ole soap box now.  But honestly, if Ipsy can't fathom why a customer would be upset--this month especially, the first month you were supposed to get a custom bag--then it only spells trouble for their business down the line anyway. I'm sure you aren't the only customer with a missing bag who is thinking and feeling the way you are. So in a weird way, by standing up to them on an issue where you have a legitimate complaint, you are doing them a favor. It just may take some doing to make them understand that. Keep trying and best of luck!

Hmm...It just occurred to me that the timing of releasing their first really "customized bag" based on your profile just before their Gen Beauty Event was really a bad idea! They should have anticipated problems and questions after May's bag, which had more variety than any previous MyGlam/Ipsy bag, as I understand it. Then again, did they purposely plan the event to give people time to cool off and forget to ask questions??? I wonder. Personally, I still think it was a bad idea. To me, there is a sense that Ipsy is at a stand still and out of communication with everyone until the event is over. And with May bags still out there, that is not good.

So I have my bag finally- there's good and bad, the good is a mirabella lipstick in posey (really nice color on me!!), juice beauty gloss in fig- I was wary of the color at first, but it actually looks pretty good on me (strange that I got 2 lip products instead of 1 lip and 1 fragrance), the zoya in gie gie- at first I was a little sad I didnt get the purple or blue one, but its growing on me, it is a very pretty shade of pink and the shimmer in it is nice.  Bad news- no pacifica rollerball, my concealer is buff!! (and I'm like white as paper..) and I got the pacifica bronzer cream!! noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  damn!  I don't use bronzers (or tanning stuff)- even I wanted too, I'm so fair- it all looks like dirt rubbed on me, so there's really no point. 

I went back through my quiz, the no self tanner products is def not checked, but in the makeup section- they have it set up as "blush & bronzers"- and I love blushes (my drawer filled with 5347538753895832 different ones can attest to that ha!
laughno.gif
) but no to bronzers!  Well this kinda of sucks, if you want to get blush- you have to check that and run the risk of them sending a bronzer instead....  I think I will email them to suggest they separate those 2, because I'm sure there has to be other pasties
wink.gif
like me in the same boat, where blush looks great on us, but not bronzers.  Blah... and I really really wanted the pacifica shimmer/highlighting lotion too. I don't even know if there'd be anyone who'd even be willing to part with their for a trade....

I'm not saying this was a bad bag- it was pretty good all in all, I just wish they would work on that whole "personalization" thing more, if they going to keep relying on that.  Matching concealers should have been a no brainer- if you picked fair in your quiz, they send you the lightest one yaby offers. If you're dark skinned, they don't send you the lightest shade.  Not rocket science, ya know?
icon_lol.gif
  I also hope they dont keep adding more and more "variations" to the bags, I don't want ipsy to go the route of birchbox- I'm getting sick and tired of seeing cool stuff in their sneak peak videos and then getting absolutely nothing like it in my box (& also getting nothing at all that matches my profile...).  I really liked the less variation with ipsy.

Originally Posted by Krendall /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for this. But I wish I was getting my original bag!
frown.gif
Me too but the I don't hate the "crowd pleaser" bag either. I was originally slotted to get:

concealer,

polish (don't know the color but now I think it's gonna be pink. kind of wanted the purple but whatever),

Juice Beauty Gloss (wanted the lipstick so this might be a good switch...I wouldn't have hated the gloss, I just have tons of them but none of them are Juice Beauty),

Macadamia Oil OR Nume finishing serum (I have soooo many hair products so don't mind NOT getting either of these but also haven't tried either brand)

Pacifica Luminizing body butter (WAHHHH
bawling.gif
.....I really wanted this one!)

but o well, I will just be happy for a bag at this point.

Originally Posted by Lily V /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I have my bag finally- there's good and bad, the good is a mirabella lipstick in posey (really nice color on me!!), juice beauty gloss in fig- I was wary of the color at first, but it actually looks pretty good on me (strange that I got 2 lip products instead of 1 lip and 1 fragrance), the zoya in gie gie- at first I was a little sad I didnt get the purple or blue one, but its growing on me, it is a very pretty shade of pink and the shimmer in it is nice.  Bad news- no pacifica rollerball, my concealer is buff!! (and I'm like white as paper..) and I got the pacifica bronzer cream!! noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  damn!  I don't use bronzers (or tanning stuff)- even I wanted too, I'm so fair- it all looks like dirt rubbed on me, so there's really no point. 

I went back through my quiz, the no self tanner products is def not checked, but in the makeup section- they have it set up as "blush & bronzers"- and I love blushes (my drawer filled with 5347538753895832 different ones can attest to that ha!
laughno.gif
) but no to bronzers!  Well this kinda of sucks, if you want to get blush- you have to check that and run the risk of them sending a bronzer instead....  I think I will email them to suggest they separate those 2, because I'm sure there has to be other pasties
wink.gif
like me in the same boat, where blush looks great on us, but not bronzers. 
Blah... and I really really wanted the pacifica shimmer/highlighting lotion too. I don't even know if there'd be anyone who'd even be willing to part with their for a trade....

I'm not saying this was a bad bag- it was pretty good all in all, I just wish they would work on that whole "personalization" thing more, if they going to keep relying on that.  Matching concealers should have been a no brainer- if you picked fair in your quiz, they send you the lightest one yaby offers. If you're dark skinned, they don't send you the lightest shade.  Not rocket science, ya know?
icon_lol.gif
  I also hope they dont keep adding more and more "variations" to the bags, I don't want ipsy to go the route of birchbox- I'm getting sick and tired of seeing cool stuff in their sneak peak videos and then getting absolutely nothing like it in my box (& also getting nothing at all that matches my profile...).  I really liked the less variation with ipsy.
That they connected blushers to bronzers is exactly the reason I left that option unchecked. I just know they would send me bronzers. I quite enjoy my pallor, thank you! As I like to say, I don't tan, I blanch. 
rolleyes.gif

I imagine they use some sort of computer program to match items to people's quiz answers since there is no way they could ever do it individually. My theory is that someone mis-programmed the concealer colors to match up with the wrong skin tones. Since this was the first time they have attempted this type of product matching I am hoping they will improve on whatever method they use.

I am the same, when it comes to blushes/bronzers! I can wear most any shade of blush, until it reaches bronze/brown then I look awful. I'm white with pink undertones, not a hint of brown in me, and I'm unable to tan...browns are really the only color I can't wear (I don't even wear them on my eyes much, though I am learning to :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> )

The good news is, I now have so many blushes that I am okay with unchecking that box altogether, because as much as I love blush, I currently have more than I'll ever be able to use, as is.

Holy cow, I am officially a Zoya believer.  I painted my nails on Thursday quickly with 2 coats - no base or top coat because I'm short on time.  My son is in the ICU at the Children's Hospital, so I am washing my hands all the time.  Seriously, my hands have never been so cracked and dry.  But amazingly, this nail polish has held up in a freakish way.  I have my first chip today.  That's insane.

Originally Posted by MrsMeow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Holy cow, I am officially a Zoya believer.  I painted my nails on Thursday quickly with 2 coats - no base or top coat because I'm short on time.  My son is in the ICU at the Children's Hospital, so I am washing my hands all the time.  Seriously, my hands have never been so cracked and dry.  But amazingly, this nail polish has held up in a freakish way.  I have my first chip today.  That's insane.
It's awesome until you try to get it off!!! 
icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry to hear about your son. Sending you good juju in the hopes that he achieves full recovery. 

Latest posts

Back