Sample Society June 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got my single box....  Still not sure why they couldnt fulfill my duo when they have fifty thousand boxes still for sale!

Anyway, it was from february 2013...  And the moisturizer seems to have a strange consistency.  I need to look it up and see if there are old reviews for it to see if thats what its supposed to look like.  It's actually a really great box!  It has some crazy lip gloss in it.  I think its called Exude or something and it looks like a tube of lipstick with a clear rubberish top but its lipgloss and it fills up the clear part and wow... oof, too hard to explain.  Its cool!

I just looked it up! That moisturizer is worth $80?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Placed an order for Kit B 5-$25

I'm excited to try these. I seem to have too many subscriptions.

I will keep an eye out for these sales.

I love the value of these.

I'm very happy with this kit.

I also picked up the travel kit almond L'Occitane

And got a GWP and free shipping.

My L'occitane should arrive today

And my boxes and GWzp on Friday.

I just got my single box....  Still not sure why they couldnt fulfill my duo when they have fifty thousand boxes still for sale!

Anyway, it was from february 2013...  And the moisturizer seems to have a strange consistency.  I need to look it up and see if there are old reviews for it to see if thats what its supposed to look like.  It's actually a really great box!  It has some crazy lip gloss in it.  I think its called Exude or something and it looks like a tube of lipstick with a clear rubberish top but its lipgloss and it fills up the clear part and wow... oof, too hard to explain.  Its cool!

Which letter box did you order?

I need an intervention.

I ordered 2 B sets late last night and am getting:

Sample Society April Kit D 2

Sample Society Mystery Box A ($15 Value) 2

Sample Society July Kit C 2

Sample Society January Kit A 2

Sample Society April Kit B 2

I ordered 2 because I really wanted the lash conditioner, two different colors of the butter london, the cuticle oil and an actual February 2014 box, since the one that was sent to me just said February, but it was an October box. But, since it was all changed around, I'm only getting the cuticle oil. Boo! I hope my mystery Box A's are awesome.

Does anyone know what was in Kit C for July 2013? I can't find it anywhere.

I just got my single box.... Still not sure why they couldnt fulfill my duo when they have fifty thousand boxes still for sale!

Anyway, it was from february 2013... And the moisturizer seems to have a strange consistency. I need to look it up and see if there are old reviews for it to see if thats what its supposed to look like. It's actually a really great box! It has some crazy lip gloss in it. I think its called Exude or something and it looks like a tube of lipstick with a clear rubberish top but its lipgloss and it fills up the clear part and wow... oof, too hard to explain. Its cool!

I got the same box, the moisturizer does look funny but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it's fermented which gives it a strange texture. I'm a little worried about using a product that old though. Have you tries it yet? And the Exude is soooo fancy but I'm probs trading it, too much lip stuff at my house!

Did anyone see the ad on Beauty Bar for the "new " SS? wonder what's new?
I saw that too!!  I was trying to nose around and see if I could find anything, but couldn't.  I was planning on unsubbing for a while after the 5 for $25 boxes (I bought two... I'm weak, I know) but now I want to know what's new!!!  

ARG! I had some of the 5 packs in my cart when my browser crashed. By the time I got back, they're all sold out.

I caved and tried to get some of the 5 boxes or duos, but they sold out before I could check out. Grabbed 4 of the single boxes and a free Tweezerman tweezers. I hope they restock some of the 5 box ones, I wanted some last night but couldn't do it before payday!

OK, you know me. I ask what I am curious about..

WHY are they selling products from over a year ago, and why are y;all buying them? This is makeup, not shoes or jewelry.

It has a shelf life.

An expiration date. And you have NO IDEA how it's been stored- whether it gets really hot or is climate controlled at all times.

Please, tell me why Sample Society is doing this. It doesn't seem responsible or " high end" like they want to be seen, IMO.

I was thinking of joining. Are the boxes going up to $25 a month???

I have another question. They used to send SOME full sized products. Do they only send samples in the current ( not the old) subscription?

I was looking over their FAQ and it seems that they are offering less with membership than they used to.. no magazine, not that I loved it but it was a freebie perk, and now they state " 5 samples".. I remember getting a few full sized lip colors, eyeliners ( prob. black, eww), and nail polishes that were full sized.. It's been a long long time since I bought a box though.

Probably older than the boxes they are now unloading, for sure. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh, and is the box now red? I just saw a photo on their FAQ, and the box is not the black and silver, but red and says :ALLURE on the top. ( I know the association, of course).

I found this, at http://www.beautybar.com/SampleSociety/JoinNow.qs:

Our editors don't just obsess over beauty products — they uncover the groundbreaking, game-changing formulas making waves throughout the beauty sphere, from hair and makeup to skin care and fragrance.

They do all the legwork so that you can do the fun part: open a glossy red box filled with five hand-picked, editor-tested products every month. Bonus: Allure editor-penned mini-magazine boasting in-depth reviews of each sample.

Here's what's included:
  • Five deluxe-size beauty samples—so you can use each one more than once
  • Curated mix of skin, hair, and makeup products, as well as fragrance
  • Allure mini-mag, packed with in-depth beauty sample product reviews written by Allure editors
  • $10 BeautyBar.com gift card to redeem on any $50 Beauty Bar purchase
Finding your new favorite products couldn't be easier. Subscribe now for a monthly dose of beauty.

$15/mo. + tax paid monthly - cancel anytime
So....price stays the same, now a $10 discount instead of a $15 discount on products.  But they don't specify that you have to use it on brands you sampled. 

And now they're saying it's a 'curated mix', I don't know if they claimed that before.

I don't know, I think I'm going to cancel.  I'm kind of overwhelmed with samples after getting the mystery boxes, I might go back to just getting Birchbox for awhile and see how things shake out in a few months.

I only received two months of SS before canceling this month--I received the April and May boxes. The April box included two full-sized products that I loved: a Butter London brown eyeliner (I use this every day!) and the Tatcha blotting papers. The May box was all skincare samples and 1 haircare sample and I found it disappointing, so I canceled.

I'm excited to get the pack of 5 boxes though!

My 5 box set came!!! Overall I'm really happy. A got a suki face scrub which is completely dried up (like rock hard....no way I can use this) and the Demeter perfume is stinky (no offense if you like it, it's just not for me) but everything else I'm pretty happy with and only got dupes of 1 item. I want to order another set now!!

Back