Sample Society November 2013 (Spoilers!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I meant the resident old lady when it comes to my fear of trying new makeup!
I'm right there with you in the old folks makeup home. These subscription boxes have been good for me as far as getting me to branch out a little.
How did we get to be thirty-something??....I swear just yesterday I was 21! :confused:
I agree! I remember when 30's seem so old!

Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Right!!???  I swear that I was drinking overpriced cosmopolitans at a trendy club in Boston not too long ago, thinking I was SOOO Sex and the City and blowing my money on expensive bags and clothes that I didn't need and generally living for the moment and being young and awesome.  Suddenly, I'm 35, debating whether the Coach Outlet sale is worth it, buying subscription boxes so that I can do my makeup for the grocery store.   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Oh, and I started needing glasses last year to drive and watch TV and generally do anything that isn't within 6" of my eyes.

Thanks, time (/sarcasm).
rofl2.gif

This ALL hit way too close to home!! Lol

Quote: Originally Posted by Tiffany27la /img/forum/go_quote.gif

rofl2.gif

This ALL hit way too close to home!! Lol

I know!  I've been friends with my best friend since we were 9.  We were just talking about meeting in 4th grade summer camp and about the trust fall and going roller skating and even THAT seemed like it happened just a few years ago.

People used to stay super cliche junk when I had my son like, "enjoy it, they grow up so fast", but that doesn't just hold true for kids.  I was getting ready for prom like a week ago, I swear!

Right!!???  I swear that I was drinking overpriced cosmopolitans at a trendy club in Boston not too long ago, thinking I was SOOO Sex and the City and blowing my money on expensive bags and clothes that I didn't need and generally living for the moment and being young and awesome.  Suddenly, I'm 35, debating whether the Coach Outlet sale is worth it, buying subscription boxes so that I can do my makeup for the grocery store.   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Oh, and I started needing glasses last year to drive and watch TV and generally do anything that isn't within 6" of my eyes.

Thanks, time (/sarcasm).

Honestly, your trendy life experiences sound way more exciting than mine currently. I work part time and when I'm not working, I'm here, online shopping, or playing video games. Oh, and playing with my cats.

Quote: Originally Posted by panicked /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I definitely appreciate being able to sample higher-end brands, which is another big SS plus in my book. Some of the price tags on beauty serums at Neiman's make me a little ill. $1500 for a serum? A few treatments later you could have sent someone to college somewhere in-state. Even if I hit the lotto and loved it to pieces, I don't know if I could plunk down the $97 for the Natura Bisse sunscreen. I am willing to spend more on foundations and color cosmetics, which typically last me forever.

I have indeed seen the prices for the products at Neiman's. Quite intimidating! I don't think I'd ever spend that much on skincare, unless I've used it extensively and know that it works. I've recently been using a sample of La Mer creme and it is amazing! The price starts at $160ish for a 1oz jar and I'd gladly pay that price because I know it works wonders. A 1 oz jar doesn't seem like much, but I've been using this teeny sample jar for the last month and it isn't even half empty. But I also spend more on color/foundation, because I can see and feel the results right there. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about wrinkles for a long time.

Quote: Originally Posted by Deareux /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Honestly, your trendy life experiences sound way more exciting than mine currently. I work part time and when I'm not working, I'm here, online shopping, or playing video games. Oh, and playing with my cats.

I think I had a lot of weird, trendy experiences around 25 because I spent the first six years of my technical adulthood serving in the military and you just feel very unglamourous and ungirly and you get out and realize your old friends from high school now all watch Sex and the City and think it's awesome to drink $14 martinis and you feel like you were missing something.

I was probably better off snuggling with my pets.   :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think I had a lot of weird, trendy experiences around 25 because I spent the first six years of my technical adulthood serving in the military and you just feel very unglamourous and ungirly and you get out and realize your old friends from high school now all watch Sex and the City and think it's awesome to drink $14 martinis and you feel like you were missing something.

I was probably better off snuggling with my pets.   :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
and richer, too
smilehappyyes.gif

Ah, I see. All of my old friends from highschool are now all married and have kids. But I prefer the single life, although I wish I had friends who love beauty as much as I do. I guess what's why I'm here, where everyone is an enabler.

And $14 for a martini is totally ridiculous!

Quote: Originally Posted by Deareux /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And $14 for a martini is totally ridiculous!

...unless the martini glass also contained 5 mini beauty samples, and then I'd be on my way to AA...

Quote: Originally Posted by panicked /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...unless the martini glass also contained 5 mini beauty samples, and then I'd be on my way to AA...

HAHAHAHA!!!!!

And yeah, a $14 martini IS ridiculous.  However, that's the going price on Newbury Street in Boston.  Newbury Street is like the Manhattan of Massachusetts...everything is overpriced beyond belief.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kristen121 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Got my box today! I love the candle, it's exactly what I want my house to smell like during Christmas time. Haven't tried anything else yet.
I love the candle, and the Annick Goutal isn't a bad scent, although I could swear I got it before and didn't like it. Murad and Jane Iredale are always good. I tried that brightening makeup and it just isn't for me. I already have too much shine. I took it to consignment.

Not the greatest welcome-back box, but I'll use everything.

I finally tried the Borghese today and I loved it! I used a concealer brush to apply it like a highlighter to my Cupid's bow/cheekbones/nose over my regular foundation (Urban Decay Naked), then blended with a damn sponge. I skipped the rest of my makeup routine this morning (even mascara *gasp*), and I received a ton of compliments about how fresh I looked today at work. I'll take it!

Does anyone else feel like they can't get the Jane Iredale to go onto their lips??? I don't know if mine is dried out or something but I rub it on over and over and I swear there is nothing left behind on my lips!

Quote: Originally Posted by plumplant /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does anyone else feel like they can't get the Jane Iredale to go onto their lips??? I don't know if mine is dried out or something but I rub it on over and over and I swear there is nothing left behind on my lips!
oh no! Maybe it is a defective one? Mine works great, I would call if I were you.

Quote: Originally Posted by morre22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  oh no! Maybe it is a defective one? Mine works great, I would call if I were you.
I agree.  Mine works fine and I love it.  I'm sure that they'll be happy to make this right though!

I emailed and yet said "I'll look into getting you a replacement" and then the next sentence said "I looked into it and unfortunately it is not our policy to send out sample society replacements. I apologize and hope you enjoy your December box" I'm confused.

Quote: Originally Posted by plumplant /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I emailed and yet said "I'll look into getting you a replacement" and then the next sentence said "I looked into it and unfortunately it is not our policy to send out sample society replacements. I apologize and hope you enjoy your December box"

I'm confused.

First of all, that's really weird.  Second, you should call customer service.  Never email.  I know it's tempting because email is so easy and there's no waiting on hold, etc., but, via email, they are not as hard pressed to help you.  They don't have to face your anger if they don't help you.  Call.

Seriously, if it's their policy not to replace broken items in their boxes, I certainly won't enjoy my December box after I cancel it.

Quote: Originally Posted by ScopeIt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hehehe damn sponge. Clearly I meant DAMP. Poor sponge.
I am still laughing after reading this like, 10 times LOL

First of all, that's really weird.  Second, you should call customer service.  Never email.  I know it's tempting because email is so easy and there's no waiting on hold, etc., but, via email, they are not as hard pressed to help you.  They don't have to face your anger if they don't help you.  Call. Seriously, if it's their policy not to replace broken items in their boxes, I certainly won't enjoy my December box after I cancel it.
I responded and basically said "birchbox would send me a replacement if the same thing happened with their service" And I got a response from a supervisor who is sending me a whole new box AND a FULL SIZE lip drink Win!

Back