Sample Society November 2013 (Spoilers!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by biskies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Fine, I'm just afraid of sparkle.  It scares me the way skinny jeans and Kardashians scare me.

Ugh. I just got shudders. 

But I hear you on the Borgehse shimmer. I'm a bit timid to try it. 

Quote: Originally Posted by panicked /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Ipsy < Birchbox < Glossybox < Sample Society

What do you guys think?

I think you're about right on that. And yes! I love Diptyque too! If you're in Manhattan, diptyque holds their annual sample sale in the spring/summer. I thought people were crazy for buying $90 candles from them, but that was before I tried their perfume samples through SS. 

I was finally able to catch them about a month ago on haute look though, and that was ~50% retail. 

When it comes to me and sparkle, I make Edward Cullen look like a lump of coal. I love sparkle. But I know how to wear it tastefully.

I'm 24 and I really like Sample Society's selection of brands (Sisley, Natura Bisse, Erno Laszlo, etc) because it gives me the chance to try some of the more expensive, luxury skincare lines. I subscribe to boxes to be able to try expensive brands. Beauty is an investment to me and I like being able to spend a little bit of money to try something I normally wouldn't have been able to.

Quote: Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think you're about right on that. And yes! I love Diptyque too! If you're in Manhattan, diptyque holds their annual sample sale in the spring/summer. I thought people were crazy for buying $90 candles from them, but that was before I tried their perfume samples through SS. 

I was finally able to catch them about a month ago on haute look though, and that was ~50% retail. 

I was sorely tempted by the Hautelook sale, but didn't splurge. I used to live 4 blocks from the Boston Diptyque before it closed (boo hoo). Their fragrances are so amazing and unique compared to the standard perfume offerings that abound...might have to find some L'Ombre or Philosykos now...

Quote: Originally Posted by Deareux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  When it comes to me and sparkle, I make Edward Cullen look like a lump of coal. I love sparkle. But I know how to wear it tastefully.

I'm 24 and I really like Sample Society's selection of brands (Sisley, Natura Bisse, Erno Laszlo, etc) because it gives me the chance to try some of the more expensive, luxury skincare lines. I subscribe to boxes to be able to try expensive brands. Beauty is an investment to me and I like being able to spend a little bit of money to try something I normally wouldn't have been able to.
This is the thing.  I can't wear it.  I have so much Urban Decay, I could paint myself as a robot for Halloween with all that glitter.  And it just doesn't look good on me.  I am a natural ginger (super pale, freckly), so I think it's just such a stark contrast.  If anyone has any step-by-step instructions on how to apply it tastefully, I'd give it a go.  This is really as much makeup as I wear on a regular day (sorry for the crap resolution with my iPhone 4...I really need a camera):

Quote: Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you live in Manhattan, please go sniff around Aedes De Venustas on my behalf until I'm back in town. Also, so sad that Takashimaya closed.

Quote: Originally Posted by Deareux /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I definitely appreciate being able to sample higher-end brands, which is another big SS plus in my book. Some of the price tags on beauty serums at Neiman's make me a little ill. $1500 for a serum? A few treatments later you could have sent someone to college somewhere in-state. Even if I hit the lotto and loved it to pieces, I don't know if I could plunk down the $97 for the Natura Bisse sunscreen. I am willing to spend more on foundations and color cosmetics, which typically last me forever.

I definitely appreciate being able to sample higher-end brands, which is another big SS plus in my book. Some of the price tags on beauty serums at Neiman's make me a little ill. $1500 for a serum? A few treatments later you could have sent someone to college somewhere in-state. Even if I hit the lotto and loved it to pieces, I don't know if I could plunk down the $97 for the Natura Bisse sunscreen. I am willing to spend more on foundations and color cosmetics, which typically last me forever.
That's hilarious because my friend, who admittedly has an amazing job where she's paid really, really well in Boston was just talking to me about using some new line called Beauty Counter which you can purchase online or I guess you can become a consultant, which she did just for the product discounts.  She was telling me, "you don't even need to order online, I'll order it for you with my discount, but you should get "The Collection", it's amazing!"  I took a look...$480 for the set (although it IS a lot of products).  I just can't fathom spending that on my face.  I know that might sound silly and maybe I'll regret not having purchased things like that when I am older.  I'm totally willing to splurge on a decent high-value item when it works well and makes my skin feel fantastic, but I honestly cannot justify buying an AM cream, a PM cream, a complexion evener, under eye serum, fine line filler, etc. etc.  It shocks me that some people have the means to spend on things like this.

I mixed the shimmery foundation with the bb cream from last months box today. I have to say I looked pretty fierce walking out the door this morning. AND I turn 34 next week. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by Fitzy44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I mixed the shimmery foundation with the bb cream from last months box today. I have to say I looked pretty fierce walking out the door this morning. AND I turn 34 next week.
biggrin.gif

LOVE it!

Quote: Originally Posted by Fitzy44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I mixed the shimmery foundation with the bb cream from last months box today. I have to say I looked pretty fierce walking out the door this morning. AND I turn 34 next week.
biggrin.gif

Nice! The IPKN BB cream sample they sent me last month was labeled "02 Light," but was more like "0 Waaay 2 Dark." What color did you receive?   

That's hilarious because my friend, who admittedly has an amazing job where she's paid really, really well in Boston was just talking to me about using some new line called Beauty Counter which you can purchase online or I guess you can become a consultant, which she did just for the product discounts.  She was telling me, "you don't even need to order online, I'll order it for you with my discount, but you should get "The Collection", it's amazing!"  I took a look...$480 for the set (although it IS a lot of products).  I just can't fathom spending that on my face.  I know that might sound silly and maybe I'll regret not having purchased things like that when I am older.  I'm totally willing to splurge on a decent high-value item when it works well and makes my skin feel fantastic, but I honestly cannot justify buying an AM cream, a PM cream, a complexion evener, under eye serum, fine line filler, etc. etc.  It shocks me that some people have the means to spend on things like this.

With a high-powered, well-paying job, I'm surprised she has the time to apply all those products on a daily basis. Well, when I'm wearing a paper bag on my head 10 years from now, you can redirect me to these posts and have a laugh at my expense. 
zombie.gif

With a high-powered, well-paying job, I'm surprised she has the time to apply all those products on a daily basis. Well, when I'm wearing a paper bag on my head 10 years from now, you can redirect me to these posts and have a laugh at my expense. 
zombie.gif

Sweetie, we'll be sitting together.  One of the youngins around here will have to point us in the right direction and do the laughing.

Nice! The IPKN BB cream sample they sent me last month was labeled "02 Light," but was more like "0 Waaay 2 Dark." What color did you receive?   
I received the same color as you and I have LIGHT skin. I had previously been mixing it with a moisturizer. I really liked my new concoction from this morning.

As the resident old lady (35), I was a bit worried about the shimmery-ness, but I actually mixed the TINIEST little bit with my foundation and used it on my cheek bones and it worked really well.
Got you beat Biskies! I'll be 48 in about 4 weeks. I'm not afraid of shimmer except at work when I have to put on a more conservative face, but when I go out singing karaoke I'll pull out the stops!

Quote: Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Got you beat Biskies! I'll be 48 in about 4 weeks. I'm not afraid of shimmer except at work when I have to put on a more conservative face, but when I go out singing karaoke I'll pull out the stops!

I do too, if by "stops" you mean "drink too much and stand on a chair to sing like you're a rock star" and if by "sing", you mean "wail into a microphone and then collapse into laughter halfway through the song".   :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I do love some karaoke, but I'm not going to lie, the above has happened.

I'm 34, and also not a big fan of glitter/sparkle...but I also wasn't a fan of it at 24 (or 14, really). That being said, having subbed to a bunch of beauty boxes, I'm learning to work with it, and even enjoy it now (in small doses). Don't know if I'll ever get all the way through that Borghese tube, though! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  

I have a suspicion that SS has a higher average subscriber age than most subscription boxes. I don't think that a lot of their advertised brands (Sisely, Erno Laszlo, Borghese, Clarins) are likely to appeal to the younger set. Honestly, they don't even appeal that much to me (I lovelovelove brands like Diptyque though, which I why I subbed), Even at 34, I'm not feeling the need to sample/purchase a lot of anti-wrinkle/anti-aging products.  If I had to guess average age by sample box, I bet it's:

Ipsy < Birchbox < Glossybox < Sample Society

What do you guys think?
I agree.  That's why when I see someone complain about Sample Society and how BORING it is, I assume they're better suited for Ipsy or BirchBox.  

I'm 35 and not really one for anti-aging and miracle wrinkle creams, mostly because I doubt any of them do anything more than moisturize or provide sun screen.   I'm also not a fan of glitter/sparkle unless it's nail polish. But I applied the skin brightening cream to my collar bones and chest and it makes my skin look fab!  

Quote: Originally Posted by Ann Tucci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I agree.  That's why when I see someone complain about Sample Society and how BORING it is, I assume they're better suited for Ipsy or BirchBox.

I'm 35 and not really one for anti-aging and miracle wrinkle creams, mostly because I doubt any of them do anything more than moisturize or provide sun screen.   I'm also not a fan of glitter/sparkle unless it's nail polish. But I applied the skin brightening cream to my collar bones and chest and it makes my skin look fab!
How did we get to be thirty-something??....I swear just yesterday I was 21!
confused.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Tiffany27la /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  How did we get to be thirty-something??....I swear just yesterday I was 21!
confused.gif

Right!!???  I swear that I was drinking overpriced cosmopolitans at a trendy club in Boston not too long ago, thinking I was SOOO Sex and the City and blowing my money on expensive bags and clothes that I didn't need and generally living for the moment and being young and awesome.  Suddenly, I'm 35, debating whether the Coach Outlet sale is worth it, buying subscription boxes so that I can do my makeup for the grocery store.   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Oh, and I started needing glasses last year to drive and watch TV and generally do anything that isn't within 6" of my eyes.

Thanks, time (/sarcasm).

Latest posts

Back