Sample Society

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And it's pretty savvy of them, I think. I love BB but I'm getting kind of tired of having "celebrity" this-and-that flung at me from every direction. My last box was great, and I'm swimming in Miss Dior because of it, but I really don't care for Gossip Girl nor any of the programs of its ilk. I would prefer sponsored boxes from companies, similar to how they did it with Vichy.

That being said, I do think this was a smart idea on BeautyBar's part. It was a nice mix of makeup and skincare, and the value was excellent; I'm sure mine met or exceeded the $80 approximate figure. If you can use a discount code, that's a benefit that could easily make up for a points-based reward system. They teased you just enough to pique your interest without giving anything away, and everything sent was the best quality. (I'm thinking of the Gogo Girlfriend deluxe boxes, which were a real crapshoot; or the ones I used to order from various catalogs when I was in my teens, which had a lot of stuff in them but they were a mix of high-end makeup and dreadful junk like bristle-shedding plastic face brushes...come to think of it, I think GGG was the next generation of that mess.)
I didn't think of it like the that, with the $15 coupon being the replacement for a points system. Interesting; and no points system deterred me lol. I just dropped some money there the other day and with previous discounts and credits from other orders, was able to get myself a Clarisonic Mia for super cheap! Under $50 cheap lol..Yay..and I got next day delivery on part of my order, which is coming in three shipments(yesterday, Thursday, Saturday). My only "gripe" which is not really, just a thought/wish, is that the $15 coupon didn't have a purchase limit. I think most of the samples we receive are more costly full size than $15 and if you only want to purchase a specific item or two, some may not want to make a larger purchase just to receive that discount. But, overall I am a happy subber to SS.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Either way...hopefully BeautyBar will run another mystery box in another few months..very cool and am pleased. I don't mind paying the $15 month for this sub to Sample Society because I do like the discount and I like the products they're offering. The Mystery box has been the icing on the cake, so to speak. I also like that I can shop between their sponsered sites and use one checkout. Now, if they added a points system, I'd be in heaven!!
They really should consider a points system that would be awesome and way better than the 15.00 coupon we get each month.

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They really should consider a points system that would be awesome and way better than the 15.00 coupon we get each month.
I think if there wasn't a purchase restriction with the coupon, it'd be the best ever lol.. I've actually waited to make purchases at sites like that because there wasn't enough items on my list i needed to justify splurging that much more. Especially, when s/h is much cheaper than spending an extra $20-$30.

I didn't think of it like the that, with the $15 coupon being the replacement for a points system. Interesting; and no points system deterred me lol. I just dropped some money there the other day and with previous discounts and credits from other orders, was able to get myself a Clarisonic Mia for super cheap! Under $50 cheap lol..Yay..and I got next day delivery on part of my order, which is coming in three shipments(yesterday, Thursday, Saturday). My only "gripe" which is not really, just a thought/wish, is that the $15 coupon didn't have a purchase limit. I think most of the samples we receive are more costly full size than $15 and if you only want to purchase a specific item or two, some may not want to make a larger purchase just to receive that discount. But, overall I am a happy subber to SS.
It has a limit??? I never knew that, but then I never made an order that was below $50 before applying the coupon. The issue I always ran into was that I've never been able to stack codes the way some other customers have. It doesn't matter too much because there was always something in the sample box I either wanted in full size, or something else from a specific brand, so I never feel like I'm wasting the discount.

It has a limit??? I never knew that, but then I never made an order that was below $50 before applying the coupon. The issue I always ran into was that I've never been able to stack codes the way some other customers have. It doesn't matter too much because there was always something in the sample box I either wanted in full size, or something else from a specific brand, so I never feel like I'm wasting the discount.
Lol...yes, purchase at least $50 in products and apply the discount. As far as stacking codes, I use other codes first and then enter the monthly code. If it won't stack, I call CS and have always been able to get my monthly code credited..That's how I got my Clarisonic Mia for dirt cheap there! I shop all different kinds of websites, so sometimes I have a hard time keeping track of where I got something. All I know is that if I can bundle/get it cheaper elsewhere, I will. Or I'll wait til I can make a larger purchase. 

I talked to Beauty Bar customer service yesterday. The codes are not going to stack much longer and CS won't be able to give you an adjustment. That's a system glitch they are working to repair. They are going to start up a points/reward system soon for all their websites, so we'll see how that works!

Originally Posted by Angie Tacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I talked to Beauty Bar customer service yesterday. The codes are not going to stack much longer and CS won't be able to give you an adjustment. That's a system glitch they are working to repair. They are going to start up a points/reward system soon for all their websites, so we'll see how that works!
Ooo..good to know; wonder if we'll still get that $15 coupon on top of getting points...Awesomeness and I'm not planning to cancel any time soon. Thanks for the tip!!

I am definitely staying for June, and since I canceled one of my BB accounts, Im not in a rush to cancel this one. Hooray for points!

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am definitely staying for June, and since I canceled one of my BB accounts, Im not in a rush to cancel this one. Hooray for points!
I'm going to keep my extra BB for a few months and see how it pans out, but skipping another sub and probably cancelling. The points thing is going a long ways to win me over, though. So I'm happy lol. Also, I think BeautyBar will probably keep up these mystery boxes and I'm guessing they're tied to Sample Society subbers, which is another plus. Love the fact they sent out full size items, at least two, and more deluxe minis. Win win for me!

My $30 box was different, so I think we have a little departure for the monthly sample format! Because I can't seem to get my pictures uploaded I have to do this the old-fashioned way...I received a Philosophy lip gloss in Peaches and Cream, which is really a very pale sparkly nude; a Caudalie foaming face cleanser; a Butter London nail polish, the name of the color I forget but it's a very light, pale nude-beige; and the piece de resistance, a Lorac Baked eye shadow and bronzer set. Everything is full size except the tube of bronzer in the set, and that's maybe 2 oz. All in all, a good box!

I have to admit I'm a sucker for these things, which is why I have 6 subs to begin with. This was a nice change from the usual monthly offerings. I liked that BeautyBar mentioned the brands in the initial email, without getting too specific--nice show of transparency on their part. Maybe they know about disasters like Gogo Girlfriend and the plastic manure they routinely sent, when they bothered to send anything at all.
I received the same thing - my butter nail polish is pink ribbon & they sent me a box with 3 of the same one - I am assuming I was only supposed to get one.  I am really happy with everything! 

Ugh really wish I got in on this, but I'm on a no buy so I'm living vicariously through your updates :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Next time I guess!

Anyone have any clue what's in the June box?

People on FB are ranting about the mystery boxes! They are mad about the value and claiming to be ripped off! I ordered a $20 box and am excited by the spoiler above, so whatever.

People on FB are ranting about the mystery boxes! They are mad about the value and claiming to be ripped off! I ordered a $20 box and am excited by the spoiler above, so whatever.
What were they expecting?  Some people are just never happy. 

Those ppl just shouldnt buy a MYSTERY BOX.

Anyway, I am excited for June, I hope its better than May

People are complaining that the items are no longer available or last season and the value is off, saying that BeautyBar was misleading and using false advertising. I agree, some people are never satisfied and really shouldn't add on the extra boxes lol. Wonder if they received only one super expensive product, would they be happy? Heck no, it'd be worse! Haha still excited, because I've been looking to get more hand creams, can always use more Philosophy stuff, and love lip balm!

People are complaining that the items are no longer available or last season and the value is off, saying that BeautyBar was misleading and using false advertising. I agree, some people are never satisfied and really shouldn't add on the extra boxes lol. Wonder if they received only one super expensive product, would they be happy? Heck no, it'd be worse! Haha still excited, because I've been looking to get more hand creams, can always use more Philosophy stuff, and love lip balm!
Yeesh, I *assumed* this stuff was discontinued/last season stuff.  That's usually why things get put in grab bags/mystery boxes/etc.:  There's not really enough to sell, or it's no longer the holiday shopping season, or the manufacturer ended up with an overrun at the end of production (this is also how I'm fairly certain Little Black Bag operates:  Stores aren't selling any more accessories for a certain season, or a makeup collection was only intended to be in stores during autumn, but it's May, and they still have some to unload, so it ends up on that site).  I was seriously tempted to get one *specifically because* it would be something I probably wouldn't be able to get any more (my fingers would have been crossed for some seasonal philosophy shower gel), but I didn't have the money.  Plus I was afraid that I would get something I couldn't use (wrong color, hair products for the wrong type of hair, skincare I'm allergic to, etc.).  

(And all of this talk about grab bags and mystery boxes makes me want to head out to the Sanrio store and pick up a grab bag.  It's a good thing I don't live in Seattle any more.  If I did, I would be headed to Archie McPhee for a mystery bag tomorrow!)

Field of Flowers is not discontinued. It is part of Philosophy's normal collection. I already have half a bottle of the one I got and will happily buy the matching lotion.

Seriously??? I thought mine was a very well-spent $30 considering what I got--all my stuff was full-size, and so what if it was overstock? I'd be mad if I paid the full price and found out it was discontinued stuff. That's been the whole point of mystery boxes and grab bags and all the related whatnot, for decades: they have to get rid of it somehow, and this is a good way to do it. Not to mention ever bit of it is excellent product. It's not like you're buying a GGG box and found it was nothing but electric-blue Blossoms shadow, FFS!

I expect it to be stuff that's last season for such a great price.  I love a mystery box because it is almost always stuff I wouldn't think to purchase so I get a chance to try new things.  Usually there is something I really like but wouldn't have tried any other way.  

Originally Posted by mishtastic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ugh really wish I got in on this, but I'm on a no buy so I'm living vicariously through your updates :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Next time I guess!

Anyone have any clue what's in the June box?
The June advice guide used to be up but it seems the link isn't working anymore :/ 

When it was up, the advice mentioned lip products, fragrance, beachy waves, eye cream, and acne treatment 

Back