30 Inspirations Nail Art Challenge 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, ring finger was just the glitter from the glitter pot.  Got a good 4 days out of it!

OMG Monika I lovvvvvvvvvvee your black/silver holo with the roses.  That is amazing!
What do you mean... 'just' the glitter from the glitter pot? I've never tried doing that myself, and it looks great on your nails!

Thanks so much @@Lolo22 for your comments! I'm so happy I tried something like this. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I look forward to seeing everyone else's interpretation of oneallmama's mani too, and hope that those who haven't had a chance to post recently will have a chance to resume doing any of these manis whenever life calms down a bit and they can. I'm really glad you're posting yours. :flowers:

What do you mean... 'just' the glitter from the glitter pot? I've never tried doing that myself, and it looks great on your nails!

Thanks so much @@Lolo22 for your comments! I'm so happy I tried something like this. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I look forward to seeing everyone else's interpretation of oneallmama's mani too, and hope that those who haven't had a chance to post recently will have a chance to resume doing any of these manis whenever life calms down a bit and they can. I'm really glad you're posting yours. :flowers:
It's basically just super fine loose glitter in a little pot. You put a coat of polish on (Nail Rock kits come with one, but any polish would work), wait a few seconds and dip your wet nail in the glitter. It looks a lot like the pixie dusts IMO but it has a smoother texture. They are really fun and remove way easier :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> if you ever see any, pick one up! You'd like it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Here's my inspiration 13 of my own mani. I actually don't have any other holo polishes so I just went with purple color. I had a friends wedding to go to this weekend so I wanted to be SUPER sparkly!

image.jpg

This is Glitter Guilty Frozen topped with Bright Like a Diamond (because not enough glitter haha) and julep Rosa accent nails.

Here's my inspiration 13 of my own mani. I actually don't have any other holo polishes so I just went with purple color. I had a friends wedding to go to this weekend so I wanted to be SUPER sparkly!

image.jpg

This is Glitter Guilty Frozen topped with Bright Like a Diamond (because not enough glitter haha) and julep Rosa accent nails.
Beautiful mani! I really like both Frozen, with all the pretty glitters and the bluey-purple tone, and Rosa, which is spectacular as an accent. These shades of purple are so great, and super together!

Response #17

Since my original Inspiration mani for this one is a bit wild or unusual, I figured, why hold back? This is a base of Zoya Hudson (accent nail base is LynBDesigns Don't Torture Me) with three stamping patterns in different colours. Except for one thumb, it's bottom to top: Konad Pastel Blue with Pueen 58, OPI Gift Cards For Everyone with Pueen 54 (this grid represents the string art for me), and Konad Violet Pearl with Pueen 57. The top was originally going to be in yellow, but I found it muddied the look as the yellow wasn't opaque enough. To include it, I would need a yellow base, or would need to add it with a dotting tool, which makes thicker dots than I get with the stamping.

String response lt1.jpgString response rt1.jpg

Hi folks,

I'm letting you know were actively looking for people who would like to submit manis for Set Four! Right now we have one listed from @@lochnessie and two from me, and though I do have a few alternate manis out there that could be used to fill in the other spaces, that could potentially be quite boring! And does anyone really want to see a pedicure...

So please, please, please make this more interesting and submit something you've done! I'm looking at you who have previously put yourself out there - thank-you! - any creative inspirations you have are gladly received @, @@Lolo22, @@jesemiaud, @, @@Stitchie, @@disconik, @@lochnessie, @@acostakk, @@oneallmama, @, @@Christa W, @jbird1175; and if you haven't done this please don't be shy; I think most of us are really enjoying seeing what people create with our manis as a starting point, @, @@bonita22, @@Supreme, @@Meggpi, @@Esthylove, and @STORM03 ^.^. Perfection is an impossibility, so don't worry if you see things you'd like to improve on a mani. That can be for a future iteration - maybe even when you create your response to your own inspiration!

Hi folks,

I'm letting you know were actively looking for people who would like to submit manis for Set Four! Right now we have one listed from @@lochnessie and two from me, and though I do have a few alternate manis out there that could be used to fill in the other spaces, that could potentially be quite boring! And does anyone really want to see a pedicure...

So please, please, please make this more interesting and submit something you've done! I'm looking at you who have previously put yourself out there - thank-you! - any creative inspirations you have are gladly received @, @@Lolo22, @@jesemiaud, @, @@Stitchie, @@disconik, @@lochnessie, @@acostakk, @@oneallmama, @, @@Christa W, @jbird1175; and if you haven't done this please don't be shy; I think most of us are really enjoying seeing what people create with our manis as a starting point, @, @@bonita22, @@Supreme, @@Meggpi, @@Esthylove, and @STORM03 ^.^. Perfection is an impossibility, so don't worry if you see things you'd like to improve on a mani. That can be for a future iteration - maybe even when you create your response to your own inspiration!

I really want a stamping kit. What is a good brand? I'd post them on here if I didn't have to try and paint it on my nails :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I really want a stamping kit. What is a good brand? I'd post them on here if I didn't have to try and paint it on my nails :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
OK, stamping-wise there is the nail art & stamping thread where that is discussed, but the key things you need are a stamper, scraper, image plates, and opaque polish that works for stamping. You do not need any sort of stamping machine. Many people like Konad products for stamping. Their Princess Polish and Special Polish are both stamping polishes with high opacity that are good for stamping. However, if you have a decent polish collection, odds are you have several already that will work well. Some bloggers have long lists of 'stamp-worthy' polishes; they include the Sally Hansen InstaDri line, Zoya Trixie, many opaque one-coat shimmer and holo polishes, Mundo de Unas (which I haven't tried) among probably hundreds of others. If you have longer nails, you should always look carefully at the sizes of the full-nail images on the image plates to make sure the images will be useful to you. If you vary your nail length, you can also use the standard Bundle Monster and Pueen, Konad (more expensive  than the former), etc. images that are not super-long, and of course you can use them in creative ways no matter what your nail length. Some of the bigger full-nail image plate brands include MoYou and Messy Mansion, but measure your own nails and check. Of course there are also individual smaller images on many plates that you can use in many ways. In terms of stamper and scraper, most of them are fine. Some are worried about scratching their image plates so prefer a plastic scraper (or even an old store or credit card - yay, free!). I still personally prefer the metal scraper. Those with longer nails will want an XL stamper to do full-nail stamps, and super soft stampers are currently popular (they are useful for stamping longer nails, but pick up dust really easily). Right now I still use my Konad two-way stamper the most. It would be considered a fairly firm stamper. Whew! Lots of detail elsewhere on all of this, of course. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@@Esthylove, my other comment is of course there are many things you can do without stamping, like saran-wrap or sponge nail art, taping (even with Scotch tape), glitters, stickers, decals painted on plastic rather than the nails, polish strings, water marbling, and dotting, etc. Those are all interesting to try too.

Response #18

I used the teal, yellow, orange, and dot ideas from prettylights' Inspiration to create this one and it was exciting to go into a different colour palette than I have previously considered. I also did quite a bit of filing and a gel base change since my previous mani. Can you believe I had been wearing the same Gelish Sheek White base since about July 21st, with just a few minor fixes? Six weeks. Amazing! Yes, there had been a lot of nail growth, but the tips of the nails (the part that is most fragile for me) other than thumb and index finger were still protected! I touched up tips on those two on the dominant hand twice. I ended up applying Red Carpet Manicure Camera Shy. It is described as a peach sheer, but it's so sheer that three coats later my nails' colour is barely changed. Since my nails looked quite natural, I figured I should take advantage of it in the design.

I topped Camera Shy with Zoya Anchor base coat, and topped that with the sheer tinted topcoat OPI I Can Teal You Love Me. (It's quite sheer at one coat and I might like it better with more coats; live and learn.) I stamped that with ILNP Admire Me using Pueen 55. I tried ILNP Washing Ashore first, but it seemed dull for the stamping effect, so I liked Admire Me better. After that, I added some dots in Bondi Chasing the Sun and Zoya Solange. I have some ideas for this still, but here it is for now.
Admire Me lt1*.jpgTeal watercolour rt1.jpg

OK, stamping-wise there is the nail art & stamping thread where that is discussed, but the key things you need are a stamper, scraper, image plates, and opaque polish that works for stamping. You do not need any sort of stamping machine. Many people like Konad products for stamping. Their Princess Polish and Special Polish are both stamping polishes with high opacity that are good for stamping. However, if you have a decent polish collection, odds are you have several already that will work well. Some bloggers have long lists of 'stamp-worthy' polishes; they include the Sally Hansen InstaDri line, Zoya Trixie, many opaque one-coat shimmer and holo polishes, Mundo de Unas (which I haven't tried) among probably hundreds of others. If you have longer nails, you should always look carefully at the sizes of the full-nail images on the image plates to make sure the images will be useful to you. If you vary your nail length, you can also use the standard Bundle Monster and Pueen, Konad (more expensive  than the former), etc. images that are not super-long, and of course you can use them in creative ways no matter what your nail length. Some of the bigger full-nail image plate brands include MoYou and Messy Mansion, but measure your own nails and check. Of course there are also individual smaller images on many plates that you can use in many ways. In terms of stamper and scraper, most of them are fine. Some are worried about scratching their image plates so prefer a plastic scraper (or even an old store or credit card - yay, free!). I still personally prefer the metal scraper. Those with longer nails will want an XL stamper to do full-nail stamps, and super soft stampers are currently popular (they are useful for stamping longer nails, but pick up dust really easily). Right now I still use my Konad two-way stamper the most. It would be considered a fairly firm stamper. Whew! Lots of detail elsewhere on all of this, of course. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I was looking at the Konad one a few months ago on amazon but never ended up buying it. I think i'd like it if I practiced at it. I think a lot of the looks are cute and would like to mess around with it. Because glitter is getting tiring. I'd like to be more trendy! I have really small hands and my nails usually aren't longer than the tip of my finger. So I will keep that in mind when I'm picking which to get!

I was looking at the Konad one a few months ago on amazon but never ended up buying it. I think i'd like it if I practiced at it. I think a lot of the looks are cute and would like to mess around with it. Because glitter is getting tiring. I'd like to be more trendy! I have really small hands and my nails usually aren't longer than the tip of my finger. So I will keep that in mind when I'm picking which to get!
That's great! The smaller nail size gives you a lot of flexibility. It means that any plates could work for you. The only other minor consideration is what kind of scale of patterns you like. With smaller nails, there will be some images that are scaled to a point where you see only part of an image on each nail, which may or may not appeal to you. I find I like the finer detailed repeating images when my nails are shorter, but obviously some really like the pieced large-scale image look too. It's the difference between something like this (which I personally prefer):

Giovanna flrs rt.jpg

and this (where the scale is large for the nail and the image pattern does not repeat on the nail as a result; I prefer the former):

Large floral rt.jpg

That's great! The smaller nail size gives you a lot of flexibility. It means that any plates could work for you. The only other minor consideration is what kind of scale of patterns you like. With smaller nails, there will be some images that are scaled to a point where you see only part of an image on each nail, which may or may not appeal to you. I find I like the finer detailed repeating images when my nails are shorter, but obviously some really like the pieced large-scale image look too. It's the difference between something like this (which I personally prefer):

Giovanna flrs rt.jpg

and this (where the scale is large for the nail and the image pattern does not repeat on the nail as a result; I prefer the former):

Large floral rt.jpg
Ooooooooh I like them both! Maybe I'll get some of both and see which I like better if I end up getting one!

Here's my inspiration 14(?) of the little mermaid mani. I don't do stamping so I went with a sea theme and tried to do a rainbow fish. I think it turned ok, though my left hand is a little crooked. I painted the fish on bubble wrap and then transferred them to my nails.

image.jpg

Here's my inspiration 14(?) of the little mermaid mani. I don't do stamping so I went with a sea theme and tried to do a rainbow fish. I think it turned ok, though my left hand is a little crooked. I painted the fish on bubble wrap and then transferred them to my nails.

image.jpg
That looks awesome. I really like both fish and think they look super! Fish move around, so it's like they're swimming! The scales are really fantastic. I always admire the hand-done nail art a lot. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That looks awesome. I really like both fish and think they look super! Fish move around, so it's like they're swimming! The scales are really fantastic. I always admire the hand-done nail art a lot. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks, and true- I'll just say he's swimming! I think this is the first time EVER that my right hand looks better than the left haha. I definitely admire your guys' stamping skills! I've always been curious to try it but I think I like the imperfectness of doing designs by hand. I have to credit you for telling me about the bubble wrap trick, it opens up so much more detailed designs!! I don't think the rainbow fish would've turned out well at all if I did it directly on the nail.

Hi folks! @ will be posting our set #4 soon, but in case you're anxious to start creating, here is one of the Inspiration manis in this set (not necessarily the first in the order) to give you a start on your next response mani.

Fall forest rt1.jpgFall forest lt1.jpg
New original submissions for the fall/winter Set Five will also be enthusiastically received! Please do sign up for set five! 31 Mani Challenge creations are welcome as Inspirations too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally joining this thread. I still have a lot to catch up on. Just wanted to submit my first mani. Set 1 inspiration 1.

image.jpg

Zoya hazel, the two accent fingers are Zoya rocky and the dots Zoya kimber with a smaller silver dot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally joining this thread. I still have a lot to catch up on. Just wanted to submit my first mani. Set 1 inspiration 1.

image.jpg

Zoya hazel, the two accent fingers are Zoya rocky and the dots Zoya kimber with a smaller silver dot.
That's wonderful. Welcome; I'm so happy that you're going for it! This mani is so pretty, and I love love love Hazel on you. It's just gorgeous. I might be inspired by your mani here for the blue in the 31 Day Challenge. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That's wonderful. Welcome; I'm so happy that you're going for it! This mani is so pretty, and I love love love Hazel on you. It's just gorgeous. I might be inspired by your mani here for the blue in the 31 Day Challenge. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thank you!  I endend up using Hazel on my toes too. Cant wait to see what you come up with!

Back