30 Inspirations Nail Art Challenge 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my inspiration #9. In doing this one I realized I have no silver non-glitter nail polish!! I used the OPI Gwen Stefani chrome but it does NOT work well without the special basecoat. I topped it with CG Stars in my Eyes and drew on some flowers.

image.jpg
I really like the combination and the look of those flowers; the edgy stretched out look of the petals makes for a very chic mani! Is the issue with no specific base the ridges showing through or wear of the polish? Have they made a full-size bottle of that base yet???

I'm back with nails that are slightly less nubby and peeling than they have been recently. Here is my response to inspiration 11. I used Nailtini Mai Tai, Squarehue Ipanema, Sephora X Omni, and Art Clue Nail Art Duo in White as well as a dotting tool. It's grey, cloudy, and humid outside, but I was in the mood for something bright and fun.
image.jpg
I love the combination! So bright and fun and cute, and a great antidote to the three days of rain we've been having here!

I really like the combination and the look of those flowers; the edgy stretched out look of the petals makes for a very chic mani! Is the issue with no specific base the ridges showing through or wear of the polish? Have they made a full-size bottle of that base yet???
Thanks!! It was weird, it went on like gold leaf or something.  It was very patchy and streaky but not in a nail polish-y way and came right back off with the brush, like it wasn't sticking?  I figured the base coat just made it more chrome-like but I guess it helps the polish stick as well.   My nails don't have any ridges so those lines you see are from the polish.  I just kept piling it on and then the CG sparkle topcoat hid most of the rest of the patchiness. So I think it looks fine in the end, just surprised me with the application.  The flowers were a la sharpie and they smeared off within an hour because I didn't topcoat them, but they were fun.  Left hand was pretty sad though haha!  One of these days I need to enter the world of stamping!

I don't think they ever did make the Lay Down the Base coat in FS, it seemed like the set went on clearance really fast, despite getting good reviews (from what I saw).  I really should try using it under other polishes to see if there's any effect.

Thanks!! It was weird, it went on like gold leaf or something.  It was very patchy and streaky but not in a nail polish-y way and came right back off with the brush, like it wasn't sticking?  I figured the base coat just made it more chrome-like but I guess it helps the polish stick as well.   My nails don't have any ridges so those lines you see are from the polish.  I just kept piling it on and then the CG sparkle topcoat hid most of the rest of the patchiness. So I think it looks fine in the end, just surprised me with the application.  The flowers were a la sharpie and they smeared off within an hour because I didn't topcoat them, but they were fun.  Left hand was pretty sad though haha!  One of these days I need to enter the world of stamping!

I don't think they ever did make the Lay Down the Base coat in FS, it seemed like the set went on clearance really fast, despite getting good reviews (from what I saw).  I really should try using it under other polishes to see if there's any effect.
It's unfortunate that such a neat polish would ridge/show strokes or have to be piled on to stay without the special base (which I expect doesn't show up as much off camera, anyway). Regardless, it worked out beautifully and the Sharpie art is great! It reminds me I want to try that too; so it's another inspiration for me too. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Inspiration #8

I skipped #7 since it was mine and I'm behind anyway lol

I decided to try something new with this one. I tried to recreate the gorgeous pastel colors in the hummingbird picture by sponging on the polishes.

However, these turned out looking more like globes/maps/planet earth type dealies with the water being blue and the land being green lol If that makes any sense...

(Plus all the talk of Zoya Zuza on the 'Nail Polish you're wearing right now' thread made me want to use it too! haha)

*Butter London - Sprog

*Zoya - Zuza

20140805_010743.jpg

Inspiration #8

I skipped #7 since it was mine and I'm behind anyway lol

I decided to try something new with this one. I tried to recreate the gorgeous pastel colors in the hummingbird picture by sponging on the polishes.

However, these turned out looking more like globes/maps/planet earth type dealies with the water being blue and the land being green lol If that makes any sense...

(Plus all the talk of Zoya Zuza on the 'Nail Polish you're wearing right now' thread made me want to use it too! haha)

*Butter London - Sprog

*Zoya - Zuza

20140805_010743.jpg
I think it's a beautiful colour combination. Sure, now that you mention it, I see the North America, South America atlas view, or maybe instead green and blue checkers, but neither of those ideas detract from it anyway. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Zuza adds a nice visual textural effect too.

Inspiration #10! I like it, but it was a bit of a PITA. Base is Sinful Colors Curry Up, yellow is Julep Leila and the green with blue sparkle is Julep Sofia (which did NOT want to "string". Hence the clumps and the PITA-ness)

image.jpg
This was such a neat Inspiration; greens are gorgeous, and achieving textures (fan brush and 'strings' alike) with a combination of different shades is great. I love the way yours has such a clearly 3-D result! I also like that you created an overall avocado tone!

This was such a neat Inspiration; greens are gorgeous, and achieving textures (fan brush and 'strings' alike) with a combination of different shades is great. I love the way yours has such a clearly 3-D result! I also like that you created an overall avocado tone!
Now all I can think about is guacamole every time I look at my hands :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Inspiration #8

Holographic Nails! This polish is absolutely stunning! I keep looking at my nails, I’m so memorized by the little rainbows =)

Also I love the name of the Cirque polish! After a The Cure song <3

*Cirque Colors - Fascination Street

*Sephora Formula X - JuJu
20140810_194918.jpg

20140810_221255.jpg
Ooo that colour and holo is lovely! I really like the chevron accent too. I've been intending to try one, but haven't gotten any vinyls, so it would be challenging to be 'tidy'.  :rolleyes:  

I'm so behind! And I really failed with #10 so I'm going to come back to it later. Here's my take on inspiration #11. Used julep Blake and shoshanna. The spots are rainbow honey but I can't remember the name.

image.jpg

I'm so behind! And I really failed with #10 so I'm going to come back to it later. Here's my take on inspiration #11. Used julep Blake and shoshanna. The spots are rainbow honey but I can't remember the name.

image.jpg
Agreed with @bellatrix42; very fun! I love the yellow, the dots are cute, and combining gold with it is something I strangely haven't in most cases considered. I don't know why; the combination is great. :sunshine:

Response #12

I had a hard time figuring out what to do in response to my own caviar mani, but settled on dots (kind of like the caviar) of various kinds. This is LynBDesigns Down The Rabbit Hole, which has white large circle glitter and a variety of smaller glitters in hexes tiny dots, and some shards. I added stamped dots (BM-412, Konad Yellow) and what I think of as water ripples (BM-018, Konad Pastel Blue).
Rabbit Hole Ripples lt.jpgRabbit Hole Ripples rt.jpg

Response #12

I had a hard time figuring out what to do in response to my own caviar mani, but settled on dots (kind of like the caviar) of various kinds. This is LynBDesigns Down The Rabbit Hole, which has white large circle glitter and a variety of smaller glitters in hexes tiny dots, and some shards. I added stamped dots (BM-412, Konad Yellow) and what I think of as water ripples (BM-018, Konad Pastel Blue).

Rabbit Hole Ripples lt.jpg
Rabbit Hole Ripples rt.jpg
I am always so impressed with your stamping and layering of the stamps! I've got to practice more =P

I am always so impressed with your stamping and layering of the stamps! I've got to practice more =P
Thank-you! A great benefit of layering is sometimes you can use the next layer on stamping to hide a flub in the previous one. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  And of course if you're doing a bunch of layers, you can get more practice too. My favourite trick for stamping is lots of topcoat over my base colour, since then if I stamp and don't like it, I can always remove my stamp without messing up the base and having to restart entirely.

Inspiration 11 - I kept meaning to go back and finish/repair the dents and smudges, but time has gotten the better of me

image.jpg
I love the idea of the bordered stars (starfish?)! What is that lovely periwinkle blue colour?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back