30 Inspirations Nail Art Challenge 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww, what don't you like about it? I think I really like the light blue tone and think it would be really nicely enhanced with a royal or navy blue, or even bright orange-red feature. The topper seems to give it a green tinge? Maybe a turquoise feature to match that and get into the 'fishy/mermaid' feel?
I've just always thought I look funny with blue polish, it's not rational I know haha! It's such a cool topcoat, definitely a bit green, I just haven't figured out what polish I like it over yet. Thank you though, I do feel very mermaidy! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Response #9

Here is my mani inspired by @@Lolo22's edit: correction @@lochnessie's holographic mani. @@lochnessie, which Color Club holographic polish is it that you used - Cloud Nine? As it was, the holographic and flower ideas made me want to try stamping in this mani with a holographic polish onto a cream one. I also stamped onto the holographic polish; and that shows in certain lighting and is better visible by the naked eye than the camera, but it is still quite subtle (you can see a hint of the flowers in these photos). It's my fun little secret and a reason to keep looking at the holo accent. :)   I feel I've been neglecting my pinks this summer, so pink it was! The main cream is #41 from Kozmic Colours, the accent nail is ILNP Princess Diaries (their first I've tried; it was a three-coater, which surprised me given the hype, honestly, but was a nice holo once I got there), and the stamping was with Color Club Miss Bliss (which I used instead of Princess Diaries because of opacity concerns; I can't make a claim yet on stamping as I didn't test it for stamping).

Response #9 rt.jpgResponse #9 lt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@@Monika1, no worries! I love what you came up with! I actually used Color Club Cherubic as the base for my inspiration mani. I stamped the flower with a plate out of a Shany set, and then filled in the red-ish color with a sheer "oops" Lucky 13. 

@@Monika1, no worries! I love what you came up with! I actually used Color Club Cherubic as the base for my inspiration mani. I stamped the flower with a plate out of a Shany set, and then filled in the red-ish color with a sheer "oops" Lucky 13. 
Thanks so much! It surprises me that it was Cherubic because I always think of that as a bit orange-coppery rather than pink-lavendar, which is what I somehow see on the nail in the photo. Knowing that it's Cherubic, I do see that in the bottle though. It was a great Inspiration as I had so many ideas for that mani and just had to choose for now. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi everyone!

eta: Sorry I've muddled with this a couple of times. I needed to correct my sign-up list.

This is a reminder that we're still hoping for four more volunteers for Set Four! The current sign-up and mani submission dates are August 7th and 15th, but if you need a bit of extra time for submission, I anticipate we will have some lee-way (about 10 days, like for our last set). This means: please consider submitting a mani! Sign-up now! Your unique ideas will be enjoyed because variety makes this fun. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Remember we will be doing the Set Four manis in September and early October, so if you're searching for ideas, perhaps the season will inspire you. Of course we're not restricted to season-based ideas.

Our current Set Four Sign-Up List

1. Monika

2. lochnessie

Just checking @@jbird1175 - did you send bellatrix42 one or two Inspiration manis? I just want to check if you are already also submitting/submitted for Set Four. Thanks!

Set Five (our last set) has four open spaces, so please do sign-up if you're interested in inspiring us (maybe again) before this challenge is over. We'll be doing those last manis in October and early November.

And just in case, I'll mention that @ should have your submitted mani for Set Three if you signed up, so she can put them together to post soon. Thank-you to @@oneallmama, @, @@Christa W, @@jbird1175, and @@Lolo22. I'm looking forward to seeing these Set Three Inspiration manis!

Response #10

Here is my mani inspired by @'s fantastic green mani. I love this Inspiration as it's a really nice mani bellatrix42, and looks great on your nails; and it gave me a lot of ideas. I kept closer to the original concept in this one than I have with some, but have so many additional mani ideas out of this! The base is China Glaze Refresh-mint. Next, I used the brush that came in the bottle to apply rough stripes of Bondi The Limelight. I used a finer brush to apply LynBDesigns Teal The Cows Come Home. (I wish I'd applied more of this because it doesn't show as much as I would like for such a fantastic colour; I might even apply more stripes of this later.) I then applied 'sticky stripes' of Zoya Meg, Vespa, and Bondi Teal Magnolia and topped with Poshe top coat. By sticky stripes, I mean that I poured out some polish and allowed it to partially dry before applying with a dotting tool by 'stretching' the polish across the nail. It gives a more dimensional effect, but takes some patience. The Zoya polishes worked far better for this, but I should have given even them more time to dry first. On many of the lines I kind of 'bounced' along the nail to get the line rather than having something that would stretch well.
Grn angle stripes lt1 y.jpgGrn angled stripes rt fl y.jpg

Inspiration Twelve

Here is Inspiration #12 in a larger size in case people are interested. I used the Ciaté caviar called Lemon Fizz on my accent nail. The caviar actually stayed on very well with a thick layer of Zoya Armor beneath (actually one layer, followed by a thick wet second layer immediately followed by dumping on the caviar) and nothing on top. I was surprised because of the horror stories of caviar wearing off during an evening out. I didn't top it for fear of smearing the colours on the beads. As it was, the colour ended up wearing off the beads eventually anyway; it might be worthwhile to do a gentle topcoat application for more long-term colour?? I'll show the other hand too just in case the yellow gives some of you some good ideas.

Fuchsia Caviar blue natlt.jpgFuchsia caviar yellow natlt.jpg

Response #11

I found the Inspiration from @ generated so many ideas! I was very excited with what I came up with, and it's admittedly fairly close to the original. I like my 6-dot big flower centres! I think I could create four more, different, manis inspired from Pollysmom's one and still be happy to try it again. :)

View attachment 5117View attachment 5118
This is China Glaze Towel Boy Toy with Cult Nails Nakizzle's Shizzle dots and Zoya America dot flowers with Zoya Timo dot centres.

Response #11

I found the Inspiration from @ generated so many ideas! I was very excited with what I came up with, and it's admittedly fairly close to the original. I like my 6-dot big flower centres! I think I could create four more, different, manis inspired from Pollysmom's one and still be happy to try it again. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This is China Glaze Towel Boy Toy with Cult Nails Nakizzle's Shizzle dots and Zoya America dot flowers with Zoya Timo dot centres.
OMG, that is ADORABLE!!

I am so sorry I have been absent, moving & getting the new house together have taken so much more time than I thought it would. My nails were shot from the packing and moving, and now that we're in the new house, I always feel like I should be doing SOMETHING to organize & get stuff put away. I'm almost done, though, so maybe this weekend I'll take some time and have a "me" night and give myself a proper mani.

OMG, that is ADORABLE!!

I am so sorry I have been absent, moving & getting the new house together have taken so much more time than I thought it would. My nails were shot from the packing and moving, and now that we're in the new house, I always feel like I should be doing SOMETHING to organize & get stuff put away. I'm almost done, though, so maybe this weekend I'll take some time and have a "me" night and give myself a proper mani.
We miss you!  I hate the time right after a move getting settled in.  I had my mom staying with us so she did a lot of it when I was working bless her heart. 

OMG, that is ADORABLE!!

Thank-you! Oh, the moving, so stressful. When we last moved there was some impassioned swearing about never moving again! But we've been here for ages, and -still- haven't unpacked certain boxes. I guess that indicates we really don't need that stuff: books and assorted childhood stuff and other paperwork. Books are a real problem now that everything is online - you invest so much over time into those hardcover and softcover books and now they're worth nothing. I like reading books, but don't know what to do with them!

Yes, you definitely deserve a break! It sounds like you've been doing a really great job, and a creative activity will give you the opportunity to have a fresh outlook on the process. I, on the other hand, need to actually deal with some of the unnecessary clutter and get rid of it.

Here's my inspiration #9. In doing this one I realized I have no silver non-glitter nail polish!! I used the OPI Gwen Stefani chrome but it does NOT work well without the special basecoat. I topped it with CG Stars in my Eyes and drew on some flowers.

image.jpg

I'm back with nails that are slightly less nubby and peeling than they have been recently. Here is my response to inspiration 11. I used Nailtini Mai Tai, Squarehue Ipanema, Sephora X Omni, and Art Clue Nail Art Duo in White as well as a dotting tool. It's grey, cloudy, and humid outside, but I was in the mood for something bright and fun.

I just realized that I forgot to add details about my green mani (Inspiration 10). It was my first attempt at using a fan brush. I used Zoya Neely, SquareHue Leblon, and Color Club London Calling. It was a messy experiment, but I liked the overall effect. I am planning on trying it again soon.

I just realized that I forgot to add details about my green mani (Inspiration 10). It was my first attempt at using a fan brush. I used Zoya Neely, SquareHue Leblon, and Color Club London Calling. It was a messy experiment, but I liked the overall effect. I am planning on trying it again soon.
Thanks, this helps give me an idea of what to do :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Did you start with a solid color or was it a gradient?  And then did you use 2 colors with the brush? I definitely want to try this!

Thanks, this helps give me an idea of what to do :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Did you start with a solid color or was it a gradient? And then did you use 2 colors with the brush? I definitely want to try this!
I started with a solid color. I did this one awhile ago, but I'm 90% sure I used Zoya Neely. I then used the fan brush with the other two colors. I would recommend using colors with high opacity for the colors applied with a fan brush

Latest posts

Back