Birchbox January 2015 (Spoilers)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got my January box! It was a really great box, but the Concealer they sent me was in medium...I'm pasty pale and have my skin color marked as light in my profile.  I really wanted to try it, so I asked if they could send me a sample in light. Fingers crossed.

Finally got my January box! It was a really great box, but the Concealer they sent me was in medium...I'm pasty pale and have my skin color marked as light in my profile.  I really wanted to try it, so I asked if they could send me a sample in light. Fingers crossed.
I hope you get it, but I wonder if they're going to say no and suggest using it as a contour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone else been entering the daily drawings? Today is still that candle set. I actually don't think I'm allowed to have candles in my apartment. That and the underarmour are my two least favorite things. I'd love to win the Amika travel kit or the giant box of tea.  :wub:

So I've recently become more aware of the dangers of parabens and I'm sad to find that it's listed as an ingredient in the Perlier lotions.  I had to toss mine out. 

That was extreme @@liilak since there really was no need to toss it. EVERYTHING is bad for you from the water you drink to the products you use. Do the real research from credible sources not vloggers or bloggers (hey I'm a blogger but I don't hold a science degree) because like the insurance company goes, "where did you get that info?" "The Internet."

Parabens = preservatives. I like preservatives more than I like mold and bacteria in my cosmetics, so I'm a little skeeved out when things are paraben-free. Makes me feel like I have to use them NOW. My stash is too big for that kind of pressure.

Edit: I think most people prefer paraben-free, or else it wouldn't be marked on the containers. No one ever advertises, "Now with more parabens!" on the label.

I think some people have allergies to parabens, but other than that, they're fine. They exist naturally in foods like blueberries, etc. Here's a really awesome post that looks at all the info out there about parabens: http://musicalhouses.blogspot.com/2014/07/parabens-safety-cancer-and-cosmetics.html (Hope it's okay to post the link - it's not my blog.) Count me in as someone who believes that potential bacterial contamination and mold in my products are worse risks than preservatives.

That was extreme @@liilak since there really was no need to toss it. EVERYTHING is bad for you from the water you drink to the products you use. Do the real research from credible sources not vloggers or bloggers (hey I'm a blogger but I don't hold a science degree) because like the insurance company goes, "where did you get that info?" "The Internet."
Mostly I'm concerned about studies on parabens as being an endocrine disrupter that mimics estrogen because I have polycystic ovary syndrome.  I'd rather be safe than sorry!

The paraben debate always seems to ruffle feathers doesn't it? I say if you don't care, go ahead and use them.  My endocrinologist let me know that if I could avoid parabens (b/c of my hypothyroidism) that I should try and do that, so I do when possible.  
I've had three different endocrinologists in recent years (due to moves) and it has never come up.

ETA: I was just surprised that yours mentioned it.

I reread what I posted and I really shouldn't be such a jerk about trying to refute the safety/danger of parabens.  It doesn't hurt anyone to stay away from anything.  I think I had just read a friend's FB status about her (totally unvaccinated) daughter having strep throat and how she wasn't going to give her antibiotics and was instead going to rub oregano oil on her skin instead and was in a big 'SCIENCE ISN'T A BIG CONSPIRACY' mood that shouldn't really be directed at opinions about beauty product additives.

I reread what I posted and I really shouldn't be such a jerk about trying to refute the safety/danger of parabens.  It doesn't hurt anyone to stay away from anything.  I think I had just read a friend's FB status about her (totally unvaccinated) daughter having strep throat and how she wasn't going to give her antibiotics and was instead going to rub oregano oil on her skin instead and was in a big 'SCIENCE ISN'T A BIG CONSPIRACY' mood that shouldn't really be directed at opinions about beauty product additives.
Has that woman never had strep? Does she not realize the pain her daughter is in?! Also untreated / poorly treated strep can become something so much worse.  :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  :angry:

Please tell me someone managed to change her mind.  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am pro science and antibiotics I just think if I can easily avoid something (parabens, chemical sunscreens, I guess mostly just those two) I will.  

I'm still waiting on my Jan Birchbox Plus items to ship! I ordered a sweatshirt and socks! Birchbox, how about an email notifying me of the delay?? I wonder if they'll refund me my $$....

Back