Birchbox January 2015 (Spoilers)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reread what I posted and I really shouldn't be such a jerk about trying to refute the safety/danger of parabens. It doesn't hurt anyone to stay away from anything. I think I had just read a friend's FB status about her (totally unvaccinated) daughter having strep throat and how she wasn't going to give her antibiotics and was instead going to rub oregano oil on her skin instead and was in a big 'SCIENCE ISN'T A BIG CONSPIRACY' mood that shouldn't really be directed at opinions about beauty product additives.
It's so hard to not banter with people sometimes, but I will tell you that perhaps you should have a private conversation with your friend about not treating Strep with antibiotics. Though untreated Strep used to potentially cause Rheumatic fever, that is rare now. Tell her to lookup PANDAS (Pediatric Auto-immune Neuropsychiatric Disorder from Strep). My son had this and although he has fully recovered most children do not.
Public service announcement: always go back for a recheck of Strep and keep your children home when they are contagious. One round of antibiotics does not always work. Essential oils are great as an add-on and probiotics are a must.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's so hard to not banter with people sometimes, but I will tell you that perhaps you should have a private conversation with your friend about not treating Strep with antibiotics. Though untreated Strep used to potentially cause Rheumatic fever, that is rare now. Tell her to lookup PANDAS (Pediatric Auto-immune Neuropsychiatric Disorder from Strep). My son had this and although he has fully recovered most children do not.

Public service announcement: always go back for a recheck of Strep and keep your children home when they are contagious. One round of antibiotics does not always work.
My husband almost died as a child from Purpura that resulted from untreated Strep, which is where some of my earlier reaction stems from. Strep can seem more like a disease of painful inconvenience when it's treated, so I think a lot of people don't know how terrible it can be.

I'm sure not every endocrinologist in the world says the same thing but if mine told me to avoid it when possible and since its not that hard to avoid, I go ahead and do it.  Absolutely no harm in me avoiding them.

Back to topic: I accidentally got 2 birchboxes this month b/c I forgot to cancel my extra account, and I disliked both of them.  First time in a while that i felt like it was a big waste of money.  Here's hoping February is better (and that I remember to cancel my extra box!)  

So I asked Birchbox if they could send me a light shade of the concealer that they sent me in Medium and pointed out that I had light marked on my profile.  This is the response I got back:

Thank you so much for following up! I'm so sorry to hear this sample didn't work out for you!

Unfortunately, we do not have any available inventory of the Miracle Skin® Transformer Treat & Conceal to reship to you. I apologize for this.

This concealer is super popular with our customers and they have a lot of great things to say about this product. With our great return policy, I suggest ordering this concealer in the light shade and if you're not happy with it, you can always return it!

...am I being ridiculous that I'm annoyed with this response? A) They really shouldn't be sending me things in medium shades if I have light marked on my profile. and B )Isn't the whole purpose of Birchbox so I can try things before buying??

I've thought about it all day and I'm still annoyed (I also have been sick and on my couch all day, so in fairness, I haven't had a whole lot more to do.)  Before I email them back, I'd love to hear if you all think I am being ridiculous or if I should be annoyed.

So I asked Birchbox if they could send me a light shade of the concealer that they sent me in Medium and pointed out that I had light marked on my profile. This is the response I got back:

Thank you so much for following up! I'm so sorry to hear this sample didn't work out for you!

Unfortunately, we do not have any available inventory of the Miracle Skin® Transformer Treat & Conceal to reship to you. I apologize for this.

This concealer is super popular with our customers and they have a lot of great things to say about this product. With our great return policy, I suggest ordering this concealer in the light shade and if you're not happy with it, you can always return it!

...am I being ridiculous that I'm annoyed with this response? A) They really shouldn't be sending me things in medium shades if I have light marked on my profile. and B) Isn't the whole purpose of Birchbox so I can try things before buying??

I've thought about it all day and I'm still annoyed (I also have been sick and on my couch all day, so in fairness, I haven't had a whole lot more to do.) Before I email them back, I'd love to hear if you all think I am being ridiculous or if I should be annoyed.
If Birchbox is going to choose to send out color specific products then they need to match the color up to the right customer. You shouldn't receive a sample you cannot use.

My kids had strep and then I got it and then finally my husbands got it and he got rid of it with apple cider vinegar. He could not handle the antibiotics, they made him super sick. While I made sure the kids got antibiotics I could not make him take it. My son was getting it again and so I made him take the apple cider vinegar, mixed with honey and water (its kombucha like) and it went away but if he kept telling me that his throat hurt I would have gone back to the doctor. My son had a tough time with the antibiotics though, he had to get anti nausea medicine and stayed home almost the whole time he was on antibiotics since the anti nausea medicine made him walk around in a stupor. It was horrible for 2 weeks? Is that how long you have to take antibiotics.

I guess if the case is mild and you catch it right away there are natural options that work but if it does not get better right away then know that medicine can be necessary is my view.

* and just to clarify my kids are 11 and 12 and use every excuse to not go to school so if they are sick I know very early, slightest tickle and they are dying. If they were little I would not know right away, my daughter always had terrible cases of whatever sickness before she told anyone. Little kids I would say take to the doctor and be extra cautious.

Public service announcement: always go back for a recheck of Strep and keep your children home when they are contagious. One round of antibiotics does not always work. Essential oils are great as an add-on and probiotics are a must.
I know these things but it's like talking to a wall. I should probably unfriend her but it's almost morbid curiosity at this point. She also won't go get her own pertussis booster even though she is a damn adult and is around a lot of infants. I work in a hospital and did some student rotations at a children's hospital and once you hear that cough you don't forget it. Complimentary therapy is great as long as it isn't a total replacement but rage rage rage etcetera. Sorry so off topic.
For anyone who does try to asks certain ingredients maybe something like Kloverbox would be a better fit? Don't pretty much all mainstream cosmetics use preservatives?

Thanks @@casey anne. I think I'll email them back.
I agree with @caseyanne. Obviously birchbox can't cater to every possible preference, but this is one that they specifically ask about in the profile because they ARE able to customize it. Since this sample does come in the correct shade, and you had filled out your profile, it was their mistake to send you a product that they know you can't use.

I agree with @caseyanne. Obviously birchbox can't cater to every possible preference, but this is one that they specifically ask about in the profile because they ARE able to customize it. Since this sample does come in the correct shade, and you had filled out your profile, it was their mistake to send you a product that they know you can't use.
I always get light or medium shades in products like TM or BB creams. I am fair. I just don't think they have samples in every color range for most products like that and that they just carry the "most universal" shade, which, of course, never works for me. For example, I'd love to actually be able to use my Supergoop BB cream but both came in Light to medium shade which is too dark.

I always get light or medium shades in products like TM or BB creams. I am fair. I just don't think they have samples in every color range for most products like that and that they just carry the "most universal" shade, which, of course, never works for me. For example, I'd love to actually be able to use my Supergoop BB cream but both came in Light to medium shade which is too dark.
That supergoop is only available on birchbox's site in light-medium. They aren't very much coverage, so I haven't had any problems with color matching on my own very fair skin. Maybe it's more of an undertone mismatch? I feel like when those don't match it's much more obvious.

That supergoop is only available on birchbox's site in light-medium. They aren't very much coverage, so I haven't had any problems with color matching on my own very fair skin. Maybe it's more of an undertone mismatch? I feel like when those don't match it's much more obvious.
They actually had fair to light as an option for awhile but are currently sold out. My friend bought her fair/light on Birchbox and I almost did too but decided to try it first before I buy the full size.

The fair/light is a nice shade. I found a sample on eBay. The coverage is a little light, but the color was much better than light/med on me.

Thanks @@casey anne. I think I'll email them back.
That resolution sucks.  If you buy and return the item, the return process is slowwwwwwww. It takes almost a month for the return, ten business days to return it, and ten more to get the refund.  It's not worth it.

I guess they got rid of that contour excuse, but I had a gut feeling they were going to say no :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I still haven't even got tracking for my replacement box, even though I emailed them for the first time about it almost 2 weeks ago. I'm getting annoyed. 

ETA: At the end of last week they gave me a tracking number link that they said would be active in 1-3 business days. I clicked it today, and it shows up as something that was delivered in MN (which is not my state) in December. Grrrr.

So I pushed back and they gave me 100 sorry points. I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy though, oh well. The product on their website comes in light and medium, so I didn't think it was silly to ask for light.  @@TooMuchElectric especially since you're right, it's something they specifically ask on the quiz.  

@ I would have been so annoyed had I bought it, found out the light is still too dark (which happens a lot) and then it took so long to get my money back. 

Oh well, moving on.  I traded with a girl at work for nail polish. Everyone is happy!

So I pushed back and they gave me 100 sorry points. I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy though, oh well. The product on their website comes in light and medium, so I didn't think it was silly to ask for light.  @@TooMuchElectric especially since you're right, it's something they specifically ask on the quiz.  

@ I would have been so annoyed had I bought it, found out the light is still too dark (which happens a lot) and then it took so long to get my money back. 

Oh well, moving on.  I traded with a girl at work for nail polish. Everyone is happy!
Yay for happy endings!

I need a happy ending for by Birchbox Plus items meaning.... they need to ship them to me! I emailed, again, asking for an update. I hope to not receive an answer back from my Birchbox BFF.

I need a happy ending for by Birchbox Plus items meaning.... they need to ship them to me! I emailed, again, asking for an update. I hope to not receive an answer back from my Birchbox BFF.
I guess you should call b/c they would solve that problem on the spot.  I hate calling, but I use it as a last resort.

I received it in my birchbox in fair/light.

Back