(Discussion) Secret Santa 2013 is coming soon!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiffany27la /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok...I've been wondering this- If we sign up to be an international Santa, does that mean we are going to be matched with an international Santa, as well?...or, not necessarily?...or, do I have this all wrong?! Lol

Last year I took all those who didn't want to ship outside the US and paired those ladies up, then I took the rest of the names on the list and paired them up. So while some said yes to international shipping they still may have shipped inside their own country depending on how the list ended up randomized.

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Last year I took all those who didn't want to ship outside the US and paired those ladies up, then I took the rest of the names on the list and paired them up. So while some said yes to international shipping they still may have shipped inside their own country depending on how the list ended up randomized.

Got it! Thanks for clarifying :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This sounds like so much fun.  I have started a swap pile because the circle swaps look so awesome, but I think I will be raiding it for this too!

Quote: Originally Posted by sassyclassy0111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by ttanner2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love the idea of having an international santa, but the shipping prices are insane.  I won't be able to be an international santa.

I might be the one you need? I'm going to Asia this week and I'm from NYC
wink.gif

Someone like you would be ideal then, but I don't get to pick my "Secret" Santa.

This is a little OT, but for those interested in "foreign" makeup, I thought it would be worth mentioning... After some *extensive* research on Amazon, (and I DO mean extensive), I found lots of really cool Asian makeup for sale (because I love it, too!) from the actual companies themselves, with direct shipping available to the US...however, there are a couple of undesirables :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> The first is that they make you buy in multiples...usually 5 or 10 of the same product, but if it's a cool-looking eyeliner or sheet mask that only cost 75 cents US, I don't mind buying a dozen or so of them at that price because I plan on making some special themed Asian makeup gift/grab bags for my friends for Christmas...plus, I'm more than sure I could trade away any extras on here.. The second undesirable is shipping time... Although relatively inexpensive, (considering it's coming from the other side of the world,) I read in most of the reviews that shipping takes approximately a month and a half before packages arrive to the states..BUT... If you think about it, that's how long most of us wait for our Glossyboxes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by Tiffany27la /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is a little OT, but for those interested in "foreign" makeup, I thought it would be worth mentioning...

After some *extensive* research on Amazon, (and I DO mean extensive), I found lots of really cool Asian makeup for sale (because I love it, too!) from the actual companies themselves, with direct shipping available to the US...however, there are a couple of undesirables
frown.gif

The first is that they make you buy in multiples...usually 5 or 10 of the same product, but if it's a cool-looking eyeliner or sheet mask that only cost 75 cents US, I don't mind buying a dozen or so of them at that price because I plan on making some special themed Asian makeup gift/grab bags for my friends for Christmas...plus, I'm more than sure I could trade away any extras on here..

The second undesirable is shipping time... Although relatively inexpensive, (considering it's coming from the other side of the world,) I read in most of the reviews that shipping takes approximately a month and a half before packages arrive to the states..BUT... If you think about it, that's how long most of us wait for our Glossyboxes
smile.gif

Could you make a suggestion of brands that are available direct from the company?

Could you make a suggestion of brands that are available direct from the company?
Sure! I'm actually on my phone right now, but as soon as I get home this evening I'll be more than happy to post the list of the companies I've found..I believe there are five or six!

I like the idea of doing an Asian theme bag. I have to get creative with my gifts this year.

Even though the limit is $30, I might have to go a bit over. I don't have a lot of people I buy presents for, but I like to go crazy. My favorite part of the holiday season is shopping for gifts!
Same here! I don't get to buy makeup for anyone really so I will most likely spoil my secret Santa. I am also a big time lushie so they might get a lot of that too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Missha is a Korean company, but has a US website, and you can buy through them:

http://www.misshaus.com/ctrl.php?page=index

I jumped on the Missha bandwagon months ago, when they had the free M Perfect BB Cream with purchase for new users.  I use it everyday, but other Asian brands that were not readily available, I would love to try.  I see alot of Asian brands on Amazon, but I am seeing different sellers, not direct companies.

Quote: Originally Posted by makeitupasigo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same here! I don't get to buy makeup for anyone really so I will most likely spoil my secret Santa. I am also a big time lushie so they might get a lot of that too
smile.gif

Yeah! No one that I typically buy presents for wears makeup or cares about that type of stuff. So this will be super fun for me! Getting to buy all the beauty stuff and wrapping it up!

I jumped on the Missha bandwagon months ago, when they had the free M Perfect BB Cream with purchase for new users.  I use it everyday, but other Asian brands that were not readily available, I would love to try.  I see alot of Asian brands on Amazon, but I am seeing different sellers, not direct companies.
Skin79 has a Website for the U.S., if things haven't changed.

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  This year I'm doing wish lists a little different than last year. Instead of posting specific items like, "I'd love UD lipstick in Fiend" for example it'll be a list of likes and dislikes of certain products. For example:

The reason I'm going this route is because I'm going to treat it more as a "surprise box" akin to a subscription box in which the recipient has zero clue on what's coming. I want to avoid the posting of specific items on a list because if a recipient doesn't get that item then she (or he) may be disappointed. The list is more as a guidance for the Secret Santa since the gift should be a surprise and not a personal shopping list.

That sounds awesome! I would really love to participate this year. I am going to visit my parents in germany right before we send out the presents so this should be fun shopping for!!

Quote: Originally Posted by STLSportsGirl13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I am so awaiting the person I get to shop for.  I love doing stuff like this.  Can we just do it now?!?  Laugh.

Seriously. I need time to spy on them and figure out their brain!

Quote: Originally Posted by slinka /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seriously. I need time to spy on them and figure out their brain!

You mean you aren't already spying on everyone? 

bandit.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Deareux /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You mean you aren't already spying on everyone?

bandit.gif

Oh, wouldn't you like to know my spying habits.
ninja.gif

shuriken.gif

Back