Down the Indie Rabbit Hole

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried Colour Pop? I recently read a review on Phyrra and some of the shades are calling my name. 

@@marigoldsue In my experience, the lighter colors are creamier and the darker colors are a bit more stiff. All of them are a bit difficult to apply until you get the hang of it, because they are not like drugstore lipsticks that slide right on.

Which ones are you looking at? Like I said, I have most of them and can tell you on a case-by-case basis, if possible. Some of the swatches on the site are a bit different than they appear in real life, as well. In my experiences, the darker colors usually look lighter and the lighter colors usually come off darker in real life.

ETA: Didn't read all the way through! Some personal recs are:

Lighter

Ever After (creamy, neutral, will work well on most skin tones)

Storque (gorgeous warm-toned lilac, dupe for LC's Airborne Unicorn)

Electric City (A bit stiffer, but absolutely the most beautiful hot orange. Dupe for LC's  My Beautiful Rocket)

Darker

Dahlia (best red in the collection, cool toned and perfect for any red lip occasion)

Run Away (this is darker in person than swatched on the website, perfect for anyone who wants a hot pink lip that isn't too bold)

Melancholy (very stiff and difficult to apply but is the most beautiful deep purple I've ever worn. Starts off sheer and can be built up. Dupe for LC's Poisonberry)

Funky

Bon Bon (creamy pale, cool grey. Somehow, though, you don't end up looking like a zombie when you wear this)

Daffodil (yellow, pure yellow. This is creamy, but the bright color makes it difficult to apply. You can't help but feel happy when you wear this. Dupe for LC's New Yolk City)

Last edited by a moderator:
Following because I have like....a TOE in the indie pool with my hello waffle order (Which I am dying to have show up) but I think this may be a downward spiral for me....

My two current favorites:

Impulse Cosmetics

-Has THE most amazing lipsticks in the world. They come in two types, the popular Opaque Matte and the Metaluxe. I have many from both lines, and they are to die for. The Opaque Matte lipsticks are very heavy on the lips, and the textures run from creamy to quite dry but the color payoff is unparalleled and there are more than 40 colors in the line. They range from neutrals to wilds and there is a dupe for every single one of Lime Crime's colors. The Metalux lipsticks are more sheer, but like their name they are extremely metallic looking on the lips. I find this formula to be much more creamy and easier to blend - I actually prefer it, but the color selection is much smaller, only eight colors. They also sell lose shadows and glitters, which I have a few and like, but I don't know how the compare to other brands. You can buy samples of all the items on the shop, but the lipsticks are only $6.99 so I have yet to bother. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Annnndddd there's my next order when I have some money.

Hmmm... there might be a birthday gift from me, to me next month from Impulse Cosmetics!  Lets see, maybe 1 conventional, and 1 unconventional (usually I don't like unconventional lippies, but found a peacock green!  WANT!)

Right now I'm thinking Pretty Please or Dahlia for conventional, and MUST HAVE Agent X! I will only ever wear it in the house... and maybe for a photo on IG!   :luv:

Currently torn between a Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab 6 Imp ear order and the Impulse Cosmetic Lipsticks in the most tragic of ways. 

I'm really disappointed that Impulse Cosmetics is sold out of their lipstick palettes. I would have literally bought it on the spot there were any in stock. -sigh-

@@marigoldsue In my experience, the lighter colors are creamier and the darker colors are a bit more stiff. All of them are a bit difficult to apply until you get the hang of it, because they are not like drugstore lipsticks that slide right on.

Which ones are you looking at? Like I said, I have most of them and can tell you on a case-by-case basis, if possible. Some of the swatches on the site are a bit different than they appear in real life, as well. In my experiences, the darker colors usually look lighter and the lighter colors usually come off darker in real life.

ETA: Didn't read all the way through! Some personal recs are:

Lighter

Ever After (creamy, neutral, will work well on most skin tones)

Storque (gorgeous warm-toned lilac, dupe for LC's Airborne Unicorn)

Electric City (A bit stiffer, but absolutely the most beautiful hot orange. Dupe for LC's  My Beautiful Rocket)

Darker

Dahlia (best red in the collection, cool toned and perfect for any red lip occasion)

Run Away (this is darker in person than swatched on the website, perfect for anyone who wants a hot pink lip that isn't too bold)

Melancholy (very stiff and difficult to apply but is the most beautiful deep purple I've ever worn. Starts off sheer and can be built up. Dupe for LC's Poisonberry)

Funky

Bon Bon (creamy pale, cool grey. Somehow, though, you don't end up looking like a zombie when you wear this)

Daffodil (yellow, pure yellow. This is creamy, but the bright color makes it difficult to apply. You can't help but feel happy when you wear this. Dupe for LC's New Yolk City)
I may have to place a second order.  Earlier today I ordered Girl Talk, Infatuation, Tough Love, Tango and Thrill.  I should have ordered Electirc City for sure!

@ Agent X is definitely my next non-conventional color purchase! ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I've gotten Smoking Gun recently, and I can't wait for the opportunity to wear it! Although it is blue, not green, I have a lip swatch pic if anyone is interested in seeing the product on a non-professional photographer's lips. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@@pokeballssohard I have one of the palettes and it is SUPER nice. You can combine the Matte and Metaluxe lipsticks, too, so you can try both types. The only problem is that I find applying the lipsticks with a brush difficult, so I use my finger instead. Works like a charm, but I know that there are people who prefer not to stick their digits into products!

... I've been addicted to these lipsticks for a while, so sorry to encourage the habit. LOL!

I may have to place a second order.  Earlier today I ordered Girl Talk, Infatuation, Tough Love, Tango and Thrill.  I should have ordered Electirc City for sure!
Good choices! I am really lusting after Tango right now... grr, maybe I'll have to put in an order. :lol:

@pokeballssohard  Depending on how soon you want your goodies, I might go with BPAL now.  Like *this weekend* now.  Next weekend, there's going to be at least one new limited edition oil released.  The thing is that there's also supposed to be a huge (like potentially a hundred different oils) fairly legendary (part of it has been out before) collection that we have been anxiously awaiting for years.  Literally.  When I started buying BPAL in 2007, part of the collection was out, but it was structured in a way that meant it would be released in Acts, like a play.  Then some shit went down (due to a variety of reasons), and the collection was pulled for an unknown period of time.  That was...  two years ago?  And a lot of their fans have been planning out *mammoth* orders ever since.  And then there are the decant circles.  It's going to be ugly.  And next month, it's entirely possible the Halloweenie collection will be coming out, so there's another huge swamp of orders to wade through.

All of that is to say get your imp order in sooner rather than later.  This stuff is made as it's ordered, and if this huge collection drops next weekend (as it very well may since we have been told it's coming out this summer, and here's where I know a few more things about the owner's personal life than I want to go into here), the backlog of orders will be *insane*.

@@Shalott I bet they are! I'm so bummed I can't get one in time to use their 4th of July sale code. It would be way easier on my wallet and makeup storage if I could get them all together like that. They're also not answering emails for 4th of July week, so I can't even inquire about them until Monday. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye out for that lip palette restock, code or no. They have my dream lipstick colors. All of them! I've been wanting to rock non-traditional lip colors like Circus and Space Cadet for years now. Thanks for introducing me. 

@@meaganola Your reply sounded like the warning of an impending natural disaster. Oh man, now I'm even more torn! I've just been eyeballing those DnD themed scents so hard for like a year now, but I can never commit. I'm not a huge perfume person, but I tried a sample my friend had and they are like no perfume I've ever tried before.

@pokeballssohard  Go for the perfume!  I'm not exaggerating when I say that finding BPAL changed my life.  I didn't think I could wear perfume due to headache issues until I found their stuff, and now I have an insane collection that I really should sell off, but I feel weirdly guilty for putting them up for sale.  And then I picked up some of their magickal oils (both from the Conjure Bag section and their sister company, Twilight Alchemy Lab), and those changed even *more* things for me.  (And that's not even counting the community around it.  I actually never would have ended up on MUT if I hadn't been involved with the BPAL crowd in the first place.)

(Also, I used to do a lot of BPAL decant circles.  Impending natural disaster is a good description of the feeling knowing that you're going to have to make up hundreds of tiny perfume oil samples in a month or so.)

ETA:  Have we ever discussed how I'm a bossy older sister who CANNOT TURN IT OF?  Because yeah.  That's me.

@@meaganola Oh man, I didn't realize their shipping was so stinkin' expensive! Nearly $8! I guess it makes sense though... shipping perfumes and all... but I'm going to have to save up before I can get the 6 for $22 deal. And by then the natural disaster will have struck. My heart is broken. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's probably for the best though. I don't need to be making such luxurious impulse buys atm. At least I will have the comfort of my Ipsy bag this month...

Back