Down the Indie Rabbit Hole

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I placed an order with Meow Cosmetics for 11 different samples! I have a really hard time telling what my undertone is so I just went with one-three samples of a few different "lines" to see what looks best.  The one time I got matched in a store, the Ulta SA matched me to the lightest color of Urban Decay Naked Skin that they make.  I shrugged and went with it...went out with friends later that night and was upset when the photos showed me with serious ghost face.    So I'm not super confident in the SA's abilities to match me! 

Hopefully I get them in time to make a bigger purchase if they have a sale for their anniversary in Aug.
Oooh, I've been wanting to try Meow Cosmetics for a while but I can't justify making an order (yet) because I still have foundations I need to get through. Their foundations are pretty well-reviewed and I've heard the Flawless Feline formulation is surprisingly full-coverage for a powder. The Meow website has definitely occupied a good chunk of my time... I'm excited to try it one day.

If anyone else is interested, they also have a color-matching service - you take a pic of your face in direct sunlight and email it to them they can provide suggestions.

If you're looking for foundations, two other popular indie brands for foundation are:

Lucy Minerals: small shade range, powder foundation that people constantly describe as "creamy" - there's also various formulations (original, light, and two for oily skin); Lucy Minerals sells other products, too - the face products seem to be good but the eyeshadows seem to be mediocre in comparison to other indie brands; there's currently a full-size GWP promotion, but I would wait for a % discount to try samples (they come in little jars and are $2.50), this works out well because there's free US shipping at orders over $10 (and flat rate international shipping).

Dreamworld Hermetica (aka Dreamworld Minerals): they have a sale right now (ranging from 20%-40% off various things), but just before now they had a 40-50% off sale and they're closing the store tomorrow for a website-redo so I was a little hesitant to promote in my previous post; the site is closing tomorrow because they're going to update the site and introduce liquid foundations (they will be the only reputable indie brand that makes liquid foundation, and the brand owner says she's been working 2 years on the formula so this should be exciting). They also have a color-matching service.

Last edited by a moderator:
@@chibimorph that is awesome information!  I have combo/oily skin that has been leaning more oily since I moved to Virginia from Pennsylvania.  I used a liquid or cream foundation my whole makeup-wearing life but recently it's not been faring so well on my face, so I'd like to try a good powder foundation.  I didn't realize they have color matching! I'm not mad that I spent $11 plus shipping on the samples, though.  I'm pretty certain in one of those shades I'll find a match.  But if I don't love it I'm glad to know my other options, thank you so much!! 

Impulse Cosmetics is supposed to be restocking their lip palettes this evening! I'm so excited!

Now I have to try and pick out five colors. That's going to be the hard part. 

Impulse Cosmetics is supposed to be restocking their lip palettes this evening! I'm so excited!

Now I have to try and pick out five colors. That's going to be the hard part. 
You have to pick out six. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> You need a backup color to submit in the case that one of your first five isn't available.

Aromaleigh's Monday Deal is 50% off the Ever In Your Favor collection (Hunger Games based); the Weekly Sale is 25% off Brilliant Deductions collection (Sherlock based) and Serpens collection (dragons). Discontinued section is 50% off.

http://www.aromaleigh.com/wednesdaydeal.html (don't ask me why the URL says wednesday deal; it's a Monday deal and it ends tomorrow at 3pm EST)

http://www.aromaleigh.com/specials.html

Wahhhhhhh I want my hello waffle order :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I got shipping notification on 6/27 and it said 4-6 business days. I think today is day #6. I am dying of anticipation!!!

Wahhhhhhh I want my hello waffle order :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I got shipping notification on 6/27 and it said 4-6 business days. I think today is day #6. I am dying of anticipation!!!
Oooh... what did you get? Since we just had Canada Day (July 1) and Independence Day (July 4)... shipping may take longer than expected :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oooh... what did you get? Since we just had Canada Day (July 1) and Independence Day (July 4)... shipping may take longer than expected :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Ooooo yeah I forgot about canada day!!

I got Mendelssohn, Bach, and Debussy from the musicians collection, and dormouse and animate chess piece from the painted flowers collection.

So excittttted for all the prettttties :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh, everyone ordering from Aromaleigh, please report back on the customer service front!  I've heard some nightmare stories about it, so I have very specifically not been ordering from them, but if they have gotten better, I'll add them to my list of allowed companies. 

Oh, everyone ordering from Aromaleigh, please report back on the customer service front!  I've heard some nightmare stories about it, so I have very specifically not been ordering from them, but if they have gotten better, I'll add them to my list of allowed companies. 
Yeah! About the customer service - during that fiasco, the owner (I think her name is Kristen) had been recently diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder (in her 40s) in addition to having family problems and other health issues. She became overwhelmed and after that incident, she closed the store and hired a customer service representative to handle customers. Now the owner only handles formulation (making new things) and packing.

Aromaleigh was originally on my "don't buy" list, but after learning about the owner's diagnosis I've changed my stance (I made my first order today!). I know that the incident really hurt Aromaleigh (they went from being a top-indie to a smaller one, albeit still reputable) - but I think they're building up again and they're going to redo the website/store sometime in the summer/fall.

Oh, everyone ordering from Aromaleigh, please report back on the customer service front! I've heard some nightmare stories about it, so I have very specifically not been ordering from them, but if they have gotten better, I'll add them to my list of allowed companies.
I placed an order Saturday and I'll report back. Order confirmation says turnaround time is 4-6 days so we'll see how it goes. I'm excited for glitter!!! It was so hard to decide in a few to try.

@chibimorph  That's super helpful!  The CS issues were brought up on another board where someone was asking if they had improved, and no one was aware that any of that had happened.  Once that board comes back up, I'll let them know.  I know pretty much everyone on there was boycotting Aromaleigh as a direct result of that whole mess.

And a warning/heads up to anyone who might be contemplating participating in Secret Santa this year:  I'm going to try to go full indie this year, so whoever I get assigned might get a whole package of things from various companies!  It pretty much comes down to turnaround time and/or what extras/samples I end up stockpiling between now and then.  (Now watch me get someone who very specifically DOES NOT WANT indies.  I'm not sure I'll know what to do for them!)

Just going to put it out there, not trying to influence anyone's buying decisions in any way, but I always try to remind myself that smaller companies, especially those that are still indie, may be subject to the very human flaws of the ones trying to run them. Someone operating a business from their home might make a mistake that they later try to rectify, and I personally am always open to second chances. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Until the point is reached by certain companies who continue to flaunt their crappy leadership and subpar products at ridiculously inflated prices because they are "quirky" and "cute" and don't give a crap. Then I'm done.

Okay guys. I need some help. I've narrowed down my lip choices for the palette, but there are decisions to be made and I could use some opinions.

33uab1h.png

I know for sure I want the top 3, the middle 3 I want one but can't pick because they're all SO GOOD. The bottom three I'm debating on, because I already have red and nude lipstick, but these ones are really awesome. If I decide not to get any of the traditional shades, I'll just pick another from the middle row. And then I'll need a backup so that'll just be one of the left overs.

I'm also snagging some of their mattifying lip powder because I'm obsessed with matte lips.

Okay guys. I need some help. I've narrowed down my lip choices for the palette, but there are decisions to be made and I could use some opinions.

33uab1h.png

I know for sure I want the top 3, the middle 3 I want one but can't pick because they're all SO GOOD. The bottom three I'm debating on, because I already have red and nude lipstick, but these ones are really awesome. If I decide not to get any of the traditional shades, I'll just pick another from the middle row. And then I'll need a backup so that'll just be one of the left overs.
I'd do the top row & then the 2nd and 3rd from the middle row :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I just like the idea of an all non-traditional color palette!

I think that's probably what I'll end up doing. I always want more unique colors, it's time for some wish fulfillment! But maybe the 1st and 3rd from the middle row instead of the 2nd? That first one just keeps drawing me back in. I think I'll make number 2 the backup color. 

I'm just such an indecisive person, things like this are so hard for me! lol

EHMAHGERD my eyeshadow from hello waffle came and SO PRETTY!! I am dying. THANK YOU to everyone for enabling me with this purchase. But my wallet curses you because the rabbit hole is officially open :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@@pokeballssohard Just want to mention that both Pandora and Melancholy (first and second in second row) are not as dark in real life unless you really build up the color. I would compare them to MAC's Rebel and Heroine. So If you are looking for something very dark, you'd be better of with Melancholy. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back