Exercise buddies?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been on here near as much because for the past 3 weeks I've been working out at the gym and just don't have much time after I get home. Anyway tonight I went to Kickboxing class. It is so fun! I met another girl in there who has a daughter also and started 3 weeks ago also. I'm hoping we can work out together sometime since I go by myself.

Another thing I have changed is my diet, no fast food during the week. A friend of mine told me about the Zone Perfect bars and they are really good, especially if you don't have time to go eat or you just want a snack.

I've also subscribed to Fitness magazine. This weekend we went to the outlet mall in Biloxi, MS and I bought a bunch of workout clothes from the Nike outlet. I'm trying to surround myself with it to keep me motivated. Good luck girls!!!

this is just an update on my journey. sunday i went to a family picnic and i wore a pair of old navy low rise khakis and a t-shirt. everyone asked me what i was doing to loose weight and stay in shape. i was thrilled that folks are starting to notice. must be the weights! pumping iron is definitely the way to go for me! last measurement i was down 5 lbs and 4 1/2 inches total. how is everyone else progressing?

Originally Posted by monniej this is just an update on my journey. sunday i went to a family picnic and i wore a pair of old navy low rise khakis and a t-shirt. everyone asked me what i was doing to loose weight and stay in shape. i was thrilled that folks are starting to notice. must be the weights! pumping iron is definitely the way to go for me! last measurement i was down 5 lbs and 4 1/2 inches total. how is everyone else progressing? Congrats on the good work!! Something similar happened to me! I've been noting that some of my older clothes are getting awfully roomy in the hips. My weight is still the same but some of my friends have commented that I look thinner. I measured and it seems that I've lost about 3 inches around my hips! I know my muscles are looking more defined, so I must be doing something right!

Good Job Girls!!

Keep up the good work. I noticed some of you haven't posted for awhile try to keep at it.

I think I'll join u guys, it's always good to have some sort of support for losing weight and this is a great way to be accountable!

I'm on my way to the gym for a pilates/yoga combo that's really good and some cardio. I haven't lost any weight in over a year eventhough I've been to the gym at least 3x a week so it's frustrating but at least I haven't gained any so that's my positive thinking. I think I need to get more serious about losing weight so I can see results.

Everyone please post your progress so we can help motivate each other.

Oh yay! This is maybe just what I need! I recently lost forty pounds on Weight Watchers, but then I hit a plateau and have gained back five. I'm starting to freak out a little, so I could really use the encouragement and maybe a little bit of peer pressure that come from a group.

Originally Posted by christymo Oh yay! This is maybe just what I need! I recently lost forty pounds on Weight Watchers, but then I hit a plateau and have gained back five. I'm starting to freak out a little, so I could really use the encouragement and maybe a little bit of peer pressure that come from a group. Christymo, I just wanted to congratulate you on losing 40 pounds! Wow, way to go! Are you exercising as well? Don't worry about the 5 pounds..probably just water weight. Keep at it!! and good luck!

Originally Posted by Nicolet Christymo, I just wanted to congratulate you on losing 40 pounds! Wow, way to go! Are you exercising as well? Don't worry about the 5 pounds..probably just water weight. Keep at it!! and good luck! Thanks! But no exercise yet. That was part of the problem. I actually had around seventy to lose, so I decided to make just one change at a time. At first I was only focusing on my points intake (calories). I cut out regular soda completely and lost the first ten just by doing that (I had a bad three-Coke-a-day habit). Anyway, by the time I got to forty I realized I was going to have to start exercising to keep it up, but I was getting tired of doing it, and we had three "fun" weddings in a row, plus our anniversay. So basically, I fell off the wagon. I'm hoping this will get me motivated again because losing weight that you've already lost and then gained back again just sucks!

congrats christymo!!! that's a lot of weight you lost so far
biggrin.gif

excercise will definitely help lose weight. but sometimes the scale won't change because you're starting to gain muscle mass which weighs more that fat.

try not to get too discouraged. nobody is perfect. as long as get back on it, it will be ok
smile.gif

hi christymo and congrats on your 40 pound drop! i think we all get a little sidetracked every now and then. don't be so hard on yourself and if you're not excerising yet make sure to start slowly so you don't burn yourself out. great job so far and keep it up!

Originally Posted by christymo Thanks! But no exercise yet. That was part of the problem. I actually had around seventy to lose, so I decided to make just one change at a time. At first I was only focusing on my points intake (calories). I cut out regular soda completely and lost the first ten just by doing that (I had a bad three-Coke-a-day habit). Anyway, by the time I got to forty I realized I was going to have to start exercising to keep it up, but I was getting tired of doing it, and we had three "fun" weddings in a row, plus our anniversay. So basically, I fell off the wagon. I'm hoping this will get me motivated again because losing weight that you've already lost and then gained back again just sucks!

Hi christymo and congrats on the weight loss. I really need to get back into exercising as much as I used to. I did really well and dropped a few inches, but then I stopped. I've been keeping up with yoga and stretching, but I haven't beeen doing any real cardio or strength training lately.

argh. i'm getting very frustrated with my weight
icon_evil.gif
icon_cry.gif
icon_cry.gif
icon_cry.gif
icon_cry.gif
icon_cry.gif

i'm hitting the gym 3-4 days a week for 2-3 hours each time.

i've cut back my food intake.

drink water all of the time.

and there's NO CHANGE!!!! it's driving me nuts!!!

anyways. here's today's workout:

i worked out my legs and lower back. i did a different squat machine today. it's not the one where you stand up and squat with the bar on your shoulders (i have a bad hamstring and it hurts when i do that one), it's one where you're kind of lying down and you push theplatform with your legs and it tilts. kind of hard to explain. lol

usually i do 90 pound weights on it. but today i maxed out at 270!!!!!! i started out at 70 pounds and added 10 pounds after each set until i got 270
icon_eek.gif
. so i did a bunch of sets with about 15 reps for each set. the one machine that i usually do i usually max out around 120/130. i even got to 140 one time. i don't know how i did it. i wonder what the guys at the gym thought. lol.

and then i did my twist on straight leg dead lifts. with my bad hamstring, I can't have my legs straight and bend down very far, so i have to bend my knees a bit, but i'm still doing the same motion. usually i do the 40 pound bar, but today i did the 60 pound bar!!

i'm gonna be freaking sore this weekend!!!!!

time for me to jump in.... i need extra support if i'm ever gonna get smaller... i had a routine of sorts (Core Secrets, Yoga Booty Ballet and Carmen Electra)... but for some reason or other i fell off the wagon... i have/had a gym membership (i set it to cancel next month) but i don't use it because it's closer to work than home and i prefer to do stuff on the weekend... i've never been one to eat a lot of food, but when i do eat, i tend to gravitate toward pasta and not a lot of protein...

so, friends, i need to make some changes, and i'll be leaning on you to help me through the rough times...
icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted by QurlySq time for me to jump in.... i need extra support if i'm ever gonna get smaller... i had a routine of sorts (Core Secrets, Yoga Booty Ballet and Carmen Electra)... but for some reason or other i fell off the wagon... i have/had a gym membership (i set it to cancel next month) but i don't use it because it's closer to work than home and i prefer to do stuff on the weekend... i've never been one to eat a lot of food, but when i do eat, i tend to gravitate toward pasta and not a lot of protein...
so, friends, i need to make some changes, and i'll be leaning on you to help me through the rough times...
icon_sad.gif

i know, it's hard. is there a gym by your house? even like a small gym? try walking at dusk like after dinner or something. so that you're walking off whatever you ate. even just a slow start like walking is better than nothing!

oh i love me some rice and potatos and burritos! lol! try to cut down on your carbs though. like once or twice a week. or use whole wheat pasta or brown irce or somrthing. i like eating chicken and a little bit of rice and some veggies. if you add vegies, it's healthier and you can cut back on the rice.

Originally Posted by Liz i know, it's hard. is there a gym by your house? even like a small gym? try walking at dusk like after dinner or something. so that you're walking off whatever you ate. even just a slow start like walking is better than nothing!

oh i love me some rice and potatos and burritos! lol! try to cut down on your carbs though. like once or twice a week. or use whole wheat pasta or brown irce or somrthing. i like eating chicken and a little bit of rice and some veggies. if you add vegies, it's healthier and you can cut back on the rice.

I just started something new this week. I'd love to do nutrisystem or weight watchers, but I don't want to spend the $$, plus I only want to lose about 7 pounds. I also LOVE carbs, so what I started doing is only allowing myself to eat them up until 2pm, and then not eating any more of anything after 8pm. That's it! That way I can have my cereal or oatmeal in the morning, and then I have a big-a** lunch with any carbs (preferably good carbs..whole grains, etc.) I want. After that I have a healthy snack, and then just protein and veggies for dinner. Oh yeah, I get my "dessert" in after my lunch. This way I can burn off all those carbs in the afternoon chasing after my kids. It was soooo hard yesterday afternoon when we went to the movies with the kids. My hubby and the kids were devouring the butter drenched popcorn, while I munched on raisins and grapes. I was very proud of myself afterwards! Anyway, so far I lost 2 pounds this week. I'm not depriving myself, and I'm eating healthy. If I keep this up, I'll be good.

Originally Posted by Nicolet I just started something new this week. I'd love to do nutrisystem or weight watchers, but I don't want to spend the $$, plus I only want to lose about 7 pounds. I also LOVE carbs, so what I started doing is only allowing myself to eat them up until 2pm, and then not eating any more of anything after 8pm. That's it! That way I can have my cereal or oatmeal in the morning, and then I have a big-a** lunch with any carbs (preferably good carbs..whole grains, etc.) I want. After that I have a healthy snack, and then just protein and veggies for dinner. Oh yeah, I get my "dessert" in after my lunch. This way I can burn off all those carbs in the afternoon chasing after my kids. It was soooo hard yesterday afternoon when we went to the movies with the kids. My hubby and the kids were devouring the butter drenched popcorn, while I munched on raisins and grapes. I was very proud of myself afterwards! Anyway, so far I lost 2 pounds this week. I'm not depriving myself, and I'm eating healthy. If I keep this up, I'll be good. that's great nicolet!! it's all about self control man. it's hard resisting a candy bar that is sitting in the kitchen or that slice of pizza
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by Liz i know, it's hard. is there a gym by your house? even like a small gym? try walking at dusk like after dinner or something. so that you're walking off whatever you ate. even just a slow start like walking is better than nothing!

i think the walking part might work out for me EXCEPT i'm a big punk and HATE doing stuff by myself... my best friend lives in the same complex but we're both soooooooooo busy that it's hard to coordinate our schedules so i still end up having to do this solo...
the food changes, that might be easier... i have to adapt to the taste of brown rice though (i tried it before and didn't really like it that much)... and whole grain pasta is a better option for me too... soo many choices...
icon_neutral.gif

Originally Posted by QurlySq i think the walking part might work out for me EXCEPT i'm a big punk and HATE doing stuff by myself... my best friend lives in the same complex but we're both soooooooooo busy that it's hard to coordinate our schedules so i still end up having to do this solo...
the food changes, that might be easier... i have to adapt to the taste of brown rice though (i tried it before and didn't really like it that much)... and whole grain pasta is a better option for me too... soo many choices...
icon_neutral.gif

Nikki T. - about the brown rice, for my kids I do 1/2 brown rice and 1/2 white rice (for them it's a fiber thing), and they don't mind a bit. Maybe start out like that til you get used to it? Just an idea...
smile.gif

argh. i'm getting very frustrated with my weight
icon_evil.gif
icon_cry.gif
icon_cry.gif
icon_cry.gif
icon_cry.gif
icon_cry.gif
i'm hitting the gym 3-4 days a week for 2-3 hours each time.

i've cut back my food intake.

drink water all of the time.

and there's NO CHANGE!!!! it's driving me nuts!!!

Liz-

I know this sounds weird, but maybe if you ate a little more? It sounds like you're exercing quite a bit and doing a lot of strength training. My sister-in-law hit a plateau with about eight pounds to go.Tthe scale wouldn't budge for three or four weeks. Her trainer told her to up her calories by about 100-200 per day and eat more protein and less white bread and sugar. The next two weeks she dropped three and two pounds, then a pound a week until she lost all eight. I know it sounds crazy, but it might help.

Count me in please! I've been trying desperately to get back into the exercise thing after being release after surgery. Was a regular in the gym 4-5x a week, swam a mile 3x a week, & did some yoga. I need motivation...HELP!

Back