Glossybox - June 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just have to say how much I LOVE the C Booth dry oil. My face was feeling really dry and stinging and it fixed it right up. The fact that I have super oily skin, yet it absorbs right away is amazing. Smells delish too! Oh, and tulippop, legally it is certainly not your burden to locate your package. It is always the merchant's obligation to prove you have received merchandise you paid for. The "contract" they enter into when you pay for goods promised is not complete until they can show proof of delivery, just as you must be able to show proof of payment. The Federal Trade Commission website explains this in greater detail. You and you alone are the determiner of whether you want to pursue it and how much trouble you feel like going to in order to find your package. It's not your responsibility though, it's Glossybox's

Is anyone here still waiting on their box?  Mine's been stuck somewhere since July 1st and when I called and asked the girl (who was very very very very rude) said there's nothing she can do about it - that it's out of their hands and I have to contact the shipping service (whoever that is) for help.  When I said to her, "so I haven't gotten june's box, you've already charged me for july's box, what happens when I never get june's box?"  She replied that I need to get a claim # for the missing box if I want any help from glossybox.  When I went to the usps site, the only number I found leads to an automated service, so where would I get a claim #?  Does anyone have a # I can call where I reach a live person (without going to the PO because mine always has huge long lines). ... I'm really frustrated with their service.  I tried to be nice and polite but everytime I've called it's just more of that rude attitude.  As much as I like the boxes, I don't like dealing with their customer service when there are issues.
When you track your package what did the last update say/indicate? Start there.

Just have to say how much I LOVE the C Booth dry oil. My face was feeling really dry and stinging and it fixed it right up. The fact that I have super oily skin, yet it absorbs right away is amazing. Smells delish too! Oh, and tulippop, legally it is certainly not your burden to locate your package. It is always the merchant's obligation to prove you have received merchandise you paid for. The "contact" they enter into when you pay for goods promised is not complete until they can show proof of delivery, just as you must be able to show proof of payment. The Federal Trade Commission website explains this in greater detail. You and you alone are the determiner of whether you want to pursue it and how much trouble you feel like going to in order to find your package. It's not your responsibility though, it's Glossybox's
If I traded with someone and they claimed the package was lost but refused to go to/call post office to see if it was there....I would not refund/resend postage or a replacement until the other party demonstrated they exhausted all options to locate the item. With a trace and claim on the missing package I could recoup my money paid for shipping. And would be more likely to send another replacement. Glossy is trying to do the same. While waiting for your credit card to resolve your dispute charge why not make a trip to the post office or call and see if the package is there of have them track it and see if it got sent back to glossy? But really she should start with the last update on her tracking to see if that gives any clues, was it marked as delivered? Bad address/undeliverable/returned to sender? I think that's the best place to start, you can always start a dispute with your credit card AND search for your package at the same time! Fwiw one phone call or trip to the post office isn't going to take hours.

Originally Posted by Ann Tucci /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I traded with someone and they claimed the package was lost but refused to go to/call post office to see if it was there....I would not refund/resend postage or a replacement until the other party demonstrated they exhausted all options to locate the item.

With a trace and claim on the missing package I could recoup my money paid for shipping. And would be more likely to send another replacement.

Glossy is trying to do the same.

While waiting for your credit card to resolve your dispute charge why not make a trip to the post office or call and see if the package is there of have them track it and see if it got sent back to glossy?

But really she should start with the last update on her tracking to see if that gives any clues, was it marked as delivered? Bad address/undeliverable/returned to sender? I think that's the best place to start, you can always start a dispute with your credit card AND search for your package at the same time!

Fwiw one phone call or trip to the post office isn't going to take hours.
You aren't a business, so you are comparing apples and oranges.  You can choose to do whatever you want if you trade with someone because it's an informal transaction and no money has changed hands.  However, if you are a business and someone pays you for a product or service and can prove they paid you and you can't prove you delivered said product or service, they will prevail.  That's precisely why businesses provide tracking information.  It's their insurance against false claims, but it also benefits the recipient if it shows delivery did not occur.  If that happens, the company then has a responsibility to make good on the transaction and there are limits to how long the consumer must wait - the FTC site explains all those details, as I said. 

It doesn't matter to me what she does, since that is none of my business and it's not my place to tell a complete stranger what she should or shouldn't do. It sounded from her original post as if she's done as much as she feels she is willing to do and that's her affair.  I'm just explaining the legalities of the situation and what her options are (because that's my job IRL, so it's ingrained habit), not making recommendations.  It's up to her to choose the right option for her. 

@ dbella, Thank you for the information!   I've had a glossybox sub since they came to the US along with my mother.  I also have birchbox and ispy subs.  I shop online quite often because I generally don't have time during the day so I know it's not an issue with my address or that being a new customer.  I've never had a merchant tell me I need to track my own package.  I don't mind calling but I have called and the # provided on the USPS site is automated and I can't get a claim # from there (as the CS from glossybox told me to do).  I honestly don't want to go to the PO because I work and go to school, I really don't have a lot of time during the day and would have to wait until Thursday to go in if I do or drive about 45 min to the USPS branch that is open until 8 or 9pm.  

I'm simply a bit irked that she was rude about my issue when I was trying to be polite and that I've already been charged for July and haven't gotten June's.  I guess I'll try calling usps again on Monday and if that doesn't work I'll go in on Thursday.  

I'd exhaust all options before disputing charges on your card.  Call your post office and have them put a trace on the package, but first I would go over to your post office and have them look around for the package, it's possible they threw it in the pile to return to glossy box.  The burden is on you to locate your package, if they can't find the package at your post office they'll trace it, then open a claim on it, THEN you can take the claim number to glossybox for a refund. Sorry the person you contacted was rude, but I wouldn't go back to Glossbox until you've gone through all the steps of locating your package.  If you call the main USPS customer service number they might give you the same advice and other tips on how you can locate your package, trace it and get a claim going on it.  Having that in order would go a long way to getting Glossybox to work with you on refund or new box shipped out to you.
Great advice, Annie!! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You aren't a business, so you are comparing apples and oranges.  You can choose to do whatever you want if you trade with someone because it's an informal transaction and no money has changed hands.  However, if you are a business and someone pays you for a product or service and can prove they paid you and you can't prove you delivered said product or service, they will prevail.  That's precisely why businesses provide tracking information.  It's their insurance against false claims, but it also benefits the recipient if it shows delivery did not occur.  If that happens, the company then has a responsibility to make good on the transaction and there are limits to how long the consumer must wait - the FTC site explains all those details, as I said.  It doesn't matter to me what she does, since that is none of my business and it's not my place to tell a complete stranger what she should or shouldn't do. It sounded from her original post as if she's done as much as she feels she is willing to do and that's her affair.  I'm just explaining the legalities of the situation and what her options are (because that's my job IRL, so it's ingrained habit), not making recommendations.  It's up to her to choose the right option for her. 
Sorry I misunderstood when she asked about locating a number to reach a person at USPS I assumed she had already tracked her package and found its status was delivered and was asking for advice on how to reach someone at USPS. Since the question was how do I get a claim number from USPS. Silly me! I, like you, offered some suggestions. You suggested she call her credit card. I suggest she call or go over to her local post office to talk to a person and get the claim going. I guess making one phone call to the post office vs one phone call to a bank is more time consuming? I don't follow that logic. Someone said she'd spent hour and hours tracking down her package? I'm no sure where that idea came from, I never said it would take hours and hours. In reality it would probably take the same about of time to call the post office get a trace/claim on the package as it would to call your credit card and get disputed charges going on the item. But I've never disputed charges before so I don't know what's involved in that process or how long it takes for a resolution. I have always been able to get missing packages either reshipped to me or refunded by demonstrating to the company that I made a reasonable effort to locate the items I chose to purchase. I choose to take the responsibility for my actions and investigate matters on my end before contacting the company about a missing package. But that's me. I realize now that now everyone agrees with my method. But when someone asks a question on a public forum, I mistakenly thought they were seeking advice or an answer, but it seems if my answer was different than others it's viewed as telling someone what to do, making incorrect comparisons and I'm obviously out of touch with the legalities and contracts, I'm no lawyer. I've just had a few packages go missing, personally and professionally even though it was marked as delivered. In my situation I was able to get a new package sent to me after I went to/called the post office and was unable to locate the package. Luckily for me, the company I contacted didn't make me file a claim they just sent me a new package. But it seems Glossy is doing that so they can work with USPS to get money back for shipping (which is their responsibility.) I think the June box is pretty great so I hope she can track it down and get one successfully sent to her whichever method she chooses but I think it's pretty clear she's going to have to invest at lest some time getting to a solution.

You aren't a business, so you are comparing apples and oranges.  You can choose to do whatever you want if you trade with someone because it's an informal transaction and no money has changed hands.  However, if you are a business and someone pays you for a product or service and can prove they paid you and you can't prove you delivered said product or service, they will prevail.  That's precisely why businesses provide tracking information.  It's their insurance against false claims, but it also benefits the recipient if it shows delivery did not occur.  If that happens, the company then has a responsibility to make good on the transaction and there are limits to how long the consumer must wait - the FTC site explains all those details, as I said.  It doesn't matter to me what she does, since that is none of my business and it's not my place to tell a complete stranger what she should or shouldn't do. It sounded from her original post as if she's done as much as she feels she is willing to do and that's her affair.  I'm just explaining the legalities of the situation and what her options are (because that's my job IRL, so it's ingrained habit), not making recommendations.  It's up to her to choose the right option for her. 
Dbella, I'm interested to get your take on something...recently I had a debacle where my local mailman either inadvertently or blatantly (hopefully the former!) marked a package as having been "delivered" to me, when indeed, it was not..I have all my packages delivered toy business address, and since I work privately on an hourly basis ( I'm an esthetician, and the majority of my services are one hour facials), it just so happens that, on occasion, when my carrier tries to deliver my mail the door to the spa is locked. Apparently it 's against a local ordinance to leave packages/parcels outside business locations, but, usually they will leave a notice telling me they tried to deliver, and that the package is ready to be picked up at the PO the following business day.. In this instance, my new carrier simply marked the package as delivered, so when I went to my local PO to try and explain the situation the clerks are completely refusing to even look for the package in their sorting area because it's showing delivered in their system...SO frustrating! I haven't contacted Lip Factory yet, ( the sub package in question), but I was interested to hear your thoughts about this particular situation since you said you work was relatable...sorry for the long OT post, and thanks in advance! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If I traded with someone and they claimed the package was lost but refused to go to/call post office to see if it was there....I would not refund/resend postage or a replacement until the other party demonstrated they exhausted all options to locate the item.

With a trace and claim on the missing package I could recoup my money paid for shipping. And would be more likely to send another replacement.

Glossy is trying to do the same.

While waiting for your credit card to resolve your dispute charge why not make a trip to the post office or call and see if the package is there of have them track it and see if it got sent back to glossy?

But really she should start with the last update on her tracking to see if that gives any clues, was it marked as delivered? Bad address/undeliverable/returned to sender? I think that's the best place to start, you can always start a dispute with your credit card AND search for your package at the same time!

Fwiw one phone call or trip to the post office isn't going to take hours.
Ann, Trading with someone is different than dealing with a merchant's customer service department and being treated rudely when you have a legitimate concern. They are running a business. I suggested filing the dispute in the same way that some people will get their attorney to write a letter for them on stationary--to send a message. Often, just seeing an attorney involved in a dispute will make the other party treat them differently and take action, whereas otherwise they will do nothing to help fix things. Same thing with the package. Glossybox should have at least explained to her, in detail, what they needed done, but their flippant attitude was such a turn off that I would understand *if* she wanted to dispute the charge to get Glossybox more involved. That being said, yes, going to the post office would be a great idea, if she has the time. However, I think in another email she already explained how she works, attends school, and the post office is quite a drive. I just think Glossybox should make an effort to help her. Could they not make the phone calls too?

Sorry I misunderstood when she asked about locating a number to reach a person at USPS I assumed she had already tracked her package and found its status was delivered and was asking for advice on how to reach someone at USPS. Since the question was how do I get a claim number from USPS.

Silly me!

I, like you, offered some suggestions. You suggested she call her credit card. I suggest she call or go over to her local post office to talk to a person and get the claim going.

I guess making one phone call to the post office vs one phone call to a bank is more time consuming? I don't follow that logic.

Someone said she'd spent hour and hours tracking down her package? I'm no sure where that idea came from, I never said it would take hours and hours. In reality it would probably take the same about of time to call the post office get a trace/claim on the package as it would to call your credit card and get disputed charges going on the item. But I've never disputed charges before so I don't know what's involved in that process or how long it takes for a resolution.

I have always been able to get missing packages either reshipped to me or refunded by demonstrating to the company that I made a reasonable effort to locate the items I chose to purchase. I choose to take the responsibility for my actions and investigate matters on my end before contacting the company about a missing package. But that's me.

I realize now that now everyone agrees with my method. But when someone asks a question on a public forum, I mistakenly thought they were seeking advice or an answer, but it seems if my answer was different than others it's viewed as telling someone what to do, making incorrect comparisons and I'm obviously out of touch with the legalities and contracts, I'm no lawyer.

I've just had a few packages go missing, personally and professionally even though it was marked as delivered. In my situation I was able to get a new package sent to me after I went to/called the post office and was unable to locate the package. Luckily for me, the company I contacted didn't make me file a claim they just sent me a new package. But it seems Glossy is doing that so they can work with USPS to get money back for shipping (which is their responsibility.)

I think the June box is pretty great so I hope she can track it down and get one successfully sent to her whichever method she chooses but I think it's pretty clear she's going to have to invest at lest some time getting to a solution.
Ann, The problem I had wasn't with your advice but the way you delivered it sounded like you were making fun of both myself and the dbella. I can be sarcastic myself, but sometimes sarcasm can be used as a means of making fun of others. That's how I personally read your post where you said something like "by all means don't waste your time going to the post office but file a dispute with a credit card company who is going to ask what you did to track your package down." You then used an icon of rolling eyes, I think.

As for 'taking hours' or not 'taking hours,' that all depends on what happens. I see now that the poster mentioned how far away the post office was from her only after you originally made the post about how it would not take much time. So that's something you originally didn't know and yet I would count that time too since a round trip to the post office is going to cost her over an hour, it seems. Plus, you never know how long phone calls are going to take. I'm sure you have experienced the run around before--getting automated programs where you can't get to a real human being (she mentions this after your first post too), getting transferred to the wrong person time and again, etc. I had to go through this with calling HP about my laptop recently. Now, I've got the time, but not everyone does. No one was trying to attack you personally. We simply were offering different advice is all. Maybe you didn't mean to sound as if you were attacking us either. We just all have different perspectives. Sometimes communicating by just written words (even though it is my preferred method of communicating 99% of the time) can leave you at a disadvantage. No one can tell voice inflection and there is less give and take spontaneity too.

Quote: Originally Posted by tulippop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is anyone here still waiting on their box?  Mine's been stuck somewhere since July 1st and when I called and asked the girl (who was very very very very rude) said there's nothing she can do about it - that it's out of their hands and I have to contact the shipping service (whoever that is) for help.  When I said to her, "so I haven't gotten june's box, you've already charged me for july's box, what happens when I never get june's box?"  She replied that I need to get a claim # for the missing box if I want any help from glossybox.  When I went to the usps site, the only number I found leads to an automated service, so where would I get a claim #?  Does anyone have a # I can call where I reach a live person (without going to the PO because mine always has huge long lines).

... I'm really frustrated with their service.  I tried to be nice and polite but everytime I've called it's just more of that rude attitude.  As much as I like the boxes, I don't like dealing with their customer service when there are issues.
customer service? more like customer disservice.  i'm so sorry to hear that they're treating you like sh*t. file a claim with your credit card or paypal. i did and i got my money back along with the box. win-win situation for me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I would call Glossybox back one more time before disputing it and maybe ask for a manager. That person was way out of line and I don't believe for one minute it's out of their hands. They could send you another box. I'm almost positive they've sent people boxes when theirs never arrived.

I would just keep working at it on them.  I emailed multiple times, called once (that was a disaster), and send a message on facebook.  I finally got my box, got 500 glossydots, and when I checked my mail today, I received 2 freebie products from them.  Just keep pushing, but I do agree that the phone service is horrible.

FYI. You can dispute it with card company and they will just take the hit for it, not Glossybox. This is why there are so many other fees and high interest rates for some people. I literally had the same thing happen to me bc my box was delivered (or attempted to be delivered) while my mail was on hold for vacation. All it took was one call to the post office to figure out where they had put it and then to deliver it to me the next day. All of these boxes have tracking numbers so it should be easy for the PO. If they are saying it was delivered, then you need to file a claim with the PO. Hope this helps some!

Originally Posted by mom2aqt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI. You can dispute it with card company and they will just take the hit for it, not Glossybox. This is why there are so many other fees and high interest rates for some people.

I literally had the same thing happen to me bc my box was delivered (or attempted to be delivered) while my mail was on hold for vacation. All it took was one call to the post office to figure out where they had put it and then to deliver it to me the next day. All of these boxes have tracking numbers so it should be easy for the PO. If they are saying it was delivered, then you need to file a claim with the PO. Hope this helps some!
Not true.  I work for a company (actually, I process the payments) that receives customer payments via credit card, and when a customer files a CC dispute and the CC company finds in their favor, the CC takes the money back from the merchant that the dispute is filed against, which would be Glossybox in this case.  

(Also, most CC companies require merchants to respond within a certain timeframe or else automatically lose the dispute.  The CC company that I deal with requires a response within two weeks, which was really fun when we found out pretty much exactly two weeks after a dispute was filed that the notifications were going to a *former* head honcho of the company who left a few years earlier and who got around to forwarding the information whenever he got around to it.  *And* the complaints involved a separate but tangentially-related company that we have no control over, and we would have been able to successfully defend the charges, but due to the fact that we didn't even get the notifications before the deadline to respond, the customer got their money back, we lost those funds, and I personally had to reverse the payments from the customer's account.)

Not true.  I work for a company (actually, I process the payments) that receives customer payments via credit card, and when a customer files a CC dispute and the CC company finds in their favor, the CC takes the money back from the merchant that the dispute is filed against, which would be Glossybox in this case.   (Also, most CC companies require merchants to respond within a certain timeframe or else automatically lose the dispute.  The CC company that I deal with requires a response within two weeks, which was really fun when we found out pretty much exactly two weeks after a dispute was filed that the notifications were going to a *former* head honcho of the company who left a few years earlier and who got around to forwarding the information whenever he got around to it.  *And* the complaints involved a separate but tangentially-related company that we have no control over, and we would have been able to successfully defend the charges, but due to the fact that we didn't even get the notifications before the deadline to respond, the customer got their money back, we lost those funds, and I personally had to reverse the payments from the customer's account.)
It sounds like your company is definitely not following the industry norm for these dollar amount of disputes. The vast majority of any bank or card company will have a threshold (around $20 - $50) in which they do not even attempt to recover the funds. They simple credit the customer's account back b/c it would cost them more to actually pay someone to do the work on it. Now they aren't going to proactively tell people this of course (they also monitor for trends of customers disputing under their threshold) but if you dispute a charge and don't have to fill out and sign an affidavit, your company just ate the charge more than likely. For larger banks this is literally millions of dollars each year. Again, it sounds like there are a few companies then that might not utilize this practice but the chances are definitely greater that they are. Either way I hope that glossybox gets to the owner soon! It really was a pretty awesome box!

Originally Posted by tulippop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is anyone here still waiting on their box?  Mine's been stuck somewhere since July 1st and when I called and asked the girl (who was very very very very rude) said there's nothing she can do about it - that it's out of their hands and I have to contact the shipping service (whoever that is) for help.  When I said to her, "so I haven't gotten june's box, you've already charged me for july's box, what happens when I never get june's box?"  She replied that I need to get a claim # for the missing box if I want any help from glossybox.  When I went to the usps site, the only number I found leads to an automated service, so where would I get a claim #?  Does anyone have a # I can call where I reach a live person (without going to the PO because mine always has huge long lines).

... I'm really frustrated with their service.  I tried to be nice and polite but everytime I've called it's just more of that rude attitude.  As much as I like the boxes, I don't like dealing with their customer service when there are issues.
I cancelled my Glossybox last year for a similar reason. My June box didn't arrive until AFTER I was charged for the July box. When I opened the June box the AHAVA body wash was open and the contents spilled everywhere. After a good deal of hassle they sent me a July box (for free) but I didn't get a replacement for the AHAVA, I did get a replacement of a different June box... only to have the Wella hair mask (jar) open and the contents spilled everywhere as well. Glossybox had the audacity to say I still owe them money for the July box! Glossybox, to me at least, has the worst customer service that I have ever experienced.

Any how, if you have a tracking # and have yet to receive the box you need to call the USPS 800 #. From there they will take the tracking # and see if they can track it for you *IF* it's in their system. If it's not in their system or if they can't find it and if Glossybox refuses to do anything else then as others have stated you should file a dispute with your credit card company. Glossybox is notorious for giving customers the run around and making things difficult.

Originally Posted by Tiffany27la /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dbella, I'm interested to get your take on something...recently I had a debacle where my local mailman either inadvertently or blatantly (hopefully the former!) marked a package as having been "delivered" to me, when indeed, it was not..I have all my packages delivered toy business address, and since I work privately on an hourly basis ( I'm an esthetician, and the majority of my services are one hour facials), it just so happens that, on occasion, when my carrier tries to deliver my mail the door to the spa is locked. Apparently it 's against a local ordinance to leave packages/parcels outside business locations, but, usually they will leave a notice telling me they tried to deliver, and that the package is ready to be picked up at the PO the following business day..

In this instance, my new carrier simply marked the package as delivered, so when I went to my local PO to try and explain the situation the clerks are completely refusing to even look for the package in their sorting area because it's showing delivered in their system...SO frustrating! I haven't contacted Lip Factory yet, ( the sub package in question), but I was interested to hear your thoughts about this particular situation since you said you work was relatable...sorry for the long OT post, and thanks in advance!
wink.gif
Sorry it took me so long to answer, but I wasn't able to get online yesterday and I've been having a crazy Monday today.   

The first thing is to determine for certain if that local ordinance actually exists.  If not, and the shipper doesn't require a signature, the mail carrier can just leave it outside the door.  I hate it when they do that, especially when it's a business, but they can do it.  If it's your front porch there is a relative amount of safety, but in a public place some passerby could have just walked off with it.  So, check the ordinance first and if it really exists, go to the Post Office (with a copy of it, if you can get one) and speak to them firmly about it.  If they insist it was delivered, don't have a signature for it and the mail carrier admits that they just left it there, I don't think there is a whole lot you can do that won't cost you more trouble (and/or money) than it would be worth.  Look at the USPS website to see if they have a process for filing a claim.  I kind of doubt it, but you could try.  I'd definitely ask the carrier his or herself exactly what they did with it or where they left it.  

This sounds like the Post Office's dereliction and obviously isn't Lip Factory's fault.  Dealing with a federal agency like that can be a huge pain.  If nothing else, in the future I'd post a notice on your door letting USPS know NOT to leave packages outside the door.  Lip Factory may be nice and send you a new one, but they aren't liable in this case.

My Gb actually arrived to my moms house on the 28th of June I was surprised at how early it was. I ordered two boxes one for me and one for my mom since I would be home and thought it would be cool to open our boxes together. We both got the shampoo with the mint and avocado and I got the nail polish in Clay and mom in Homebody. Overall I was pleased with the box. I wanted to cancel July but didn't do it early enough and got charged hopefully it will be a good box.

Back