Julep September 2014 (SPOILERS)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called them. The rep told me that the jules should be applied to the total on the 27th. If they are wrong I'm gonna hurt someone.

what's the difference between silk and satin finish?  i like the silk finishes too.  maybe this is a skip month for me...

I went to try the upgrade box and applied jules.  i remember being able to use jules for the base box amount, and then payment for the additionals if you don't have enough jules to cover.  since i didn't have enough jules to cover the base box (2000 jules for a $19.99 box) + the polish upgrade (+$25, no jules info provided), the jules then applied to my add-ons (950 jules for a $6.99 polish).  which is short changing a bit, like $2.50/250 jules each add-on.

weren't we able to choose what we applied jules on?  or am i remembering funky...

anyways, i hope it's just a bug and gets fixed, because i liked being able to use jules just for the box and not add-ons.
I could be wrong, but I think satins are semi-matte creme colors and silks are semi-matte metallics. But they're basically the same texture.

This was an easy skip for me. I have all of the colors that I did like and I don't need any more lip products.

I'm glad that there are other people who like the silk finish. I wish they had more of those.

After going to Ulta & spending money  (I got a GWP & double points though!), I came to my senses and skipped Julep.

Ulta was a much better deal.

I went ahead and took a box since it was free.  I am underwhelmed for the most part.  I got out my color-coded Julep white-lacquer boxes to match the dupes - some had two!  But Lupita will be a good Oklahoma Sooners football red this fall, and I think Quinn will be just different enough from Iona that it won't bug me.

And . . . well . . . bleh.  Still haven't got my August box.....have no idea what I'm in for there.  I swear, the one and only time in a full year of membership (I just got my anniversary Jules) that I actually took the polish upgrade, and who knows how many I'll actually end up with.  That'll teach me!
Scratch that - my "shipment" just got here and I wish I'd never opened it.  I got one of the stupid make-up boxes.

Keep in mind I ordered the Polish Lover's upgrade.  The one and only time in my full year as a Maven that I've done so.

Two out of the three polishes I own already.  They didn't even look at a profile.  They just tossed crap in a box.  The polishes were Valerie (got it), Padma, and Diamond Theory (got it).  Then another crappy Mighty Nail pen -- I've had to send two of three back for being defective.  I'm not in the mood to play roulette.  And Freedom Top Coat.  I believe this makes the 4th time they've tossed that in something.

I am so furious I can't even talk in a normal voice.  My husband is on the phone with them for the safety of our children.  (Well not really.  But yeah.)

Scratch that - my "shipment" just got here and I wish I'd never opened it.  I got one of the stupid make-up boxes.

Keep in mind I ordered the Polish Lover's upgrade.  The one and only time in my full year as a Maven that I've done so.

Two out of the three polishes I own already.  They didn't even look at a profile.  They just tossed crap in a box.  The polishes were Valerie (got it), Padma, and Diamond Theory (got it).  Then another crappy Mighty Nail pen -- I've had to send two of three back for being defective.  I'm not in the mood to play roulette.  And Freedom Top Coat.  I believe this makes the 4th time they've tossed that in something.

I am so furious I can't even talk in a normal voice.  My husband is on the phone with them for the safety of our children.  (Well not really.  But yeah.)
That really sucks!!! I hope your husband can get it straight for you. I do wonder why they just didn't email the ones affected by this to give them options. I guess that is too much like right. Hopefully they have worked the bugs out for this month.

@@shutterblog -- that's just ridiculous.  It should have been so easy for them to figure out what items to send from their inventory to get the people who were impacted by this boxes of items that -- at least -- weren't repeats!

I guess the Google Hangout failed so Jane Park was answering comments on their FB page.  I read through a lot of them and here's a few interesting tidbits:

• New office furniture was not delivered on time so the extra CS staff can't start yet
  • August boxes were packed in OH by people completely new to Julep
  • There were about 600 wrong boxes sent in August
  • Innovative finishes are at the "top of their list" and we'll have a variety of finishes each month
  • The next 3 months will have some finishes that "has their whole office dying"
  • Improved shipping is supposed to roll out from now through October.
  • No new changes are scheduled to be added to the rewards program this year, but big changes for 2015
Those were the most interesting posts I saw from Jane.

I got the september boho glam cause I am sucker for oxblood anything.  I have too many oxblood nailpolishes but they are my go to color in the fall/winter.

I also got the plush pout in magenta plum because I am a sucker for plum anything.  

I got it free, because I got 500 points as august was my one year anniversary with julep.    back to skipping again! lol

I haven't taken a box in a few months and it seems like they've been having so many issues lately that I'm glad.. I'm honestly just waiting for a good box to cash out my jules on, and then I think I'm going to cancel officially, even if that means losing my grandfathered skip plan. I really don't need anymore polish, and Julep just isn't any kind of deal to me compared to what I can snag at Ulta etc anyway for comparable brands

That really sucks!!! I hope your husband can get it straight for you. I do wonder why they just didn't email the ones affected by this to give them options. I guess that is too much like right. Hopefully they have worked the bugs out for this month.
He voiced my dissatisfaction word for word - and basically let them know a box full of clearance junk you can barely swap, plus polishes you already own, isn't really a gift for future reference.  I get the extra Jules I already had, the free box I didn't even really want that I ordered today, and eventually a $50-ish refund for the $$$ they took out.  Money isn't back yet.  Like they couldn't have refunded the money back when they sent out a Big Box of FAIL that wasn't what I ordered?  No.  I have to wait until AFTER I receive it to get my money back.

I've went from anger to near tears.  I'm very sick right now and polish is about the only thing I have where I can feel "pretty" every day.  That may sound silly - but it's one of those few things in life I can control and do myself.  This is just a punch in the gut.  Right before I got my shipment notice, they told him I may be missing India.  That's it.  And then to open this...  I bought India on eBay that day.  But now trying to find them one-by-one on eBay, it looks like the Sushmita add-on isn't going to happen.

I need to call and find out about whether this is prepaid or not from my 3 month sub.  I am dreading waiting on hold though!  If it is prepaid then I'm going with the pink lip crayon, Ryan, and Kirby.  If it's not I'm going to lose my 1,650 Jules which totally sucks because like someone else said I would have used them last month.  

I cannot for the life of my understand why they are making it so hard for us to do this research ourselves.  Last month and this month said "The current month's box has already been paid for.  After this month you have 1 prepaid box remaining" but obviously that's not right if other people, who got the awesome $18 deal like me, are getting info over the phone that last month was the last prepaid month.  So confusing!!

He voiced my dissatisfaction word for word - and basically let them know a box full of clearance junk you can barely swap, plus polishes you already own, isn't really a gift for future reference.  I get the extra Jules I already had, the free box I didn't even really want that I ordered today, and eventually a $50-ish refund for the $$$ they took out.  Money isn't back yet.  Like they couldn't have refunded the money back when they sent out a Big Box of FAIL that wasn't what I ordered?  No.  I have to wait until AFTER I receive it to get my money back.

I've went from anger to near tears.  I'm very sick right now and polish is about the only thing I have where I can feel "pretty" every day.  That may sound silly - but it's one of those few things in life I can control and do myself.  This is just a punch in the gut.  Right before I got my shipment notice, they told him I may be missing India.  That's it.  And then to open this...  I bought India on eBay that day.  But now trying to find them one-by-one on eBay, it looks like the Sushmita add-on isn't going to happen.
Awe I'm so sorry to hear that you are sick AND having a rough time with Julep.  The last thing you need is all this stress!

Happy to hear they are at least willing to give you a refund though, I've heard it's like pulling teeth to get an actual refund from them when they mess up.

I get what you mean about polish.  It does seem like a silly thing, but I have gotten huge into polish in the last year or so (my collection went from like 25 drugstore polishes that fit in a little plastic tub to about 300 bottles that I have in two wooden grape crates!).  For me it's very soothing to do something to take care of myself, and it's easy to do while I sit and watch a movie or show with my fiancee.  I'm an artist at heart so makeup and nail polish are now my way of being artistic and expressing myself!

I kinda wish I had picked up Sushmita too, looks so gorgeous after I saw swatches on blogs.

Not really seeing anything I love in the polishes and I just bought a bunch of Maybelline lippies in an Ulta order so I don't really want to try more that I may or may not like. 

The GIRL ON THE GO BOX, however, looks somewhat promising for me. I picked this one but may skip by the 24th if I can't justify it. WHAT DO YOU LADIES THINK ABOUT THIS BOX? I do use the Julep top coat but I have a back up right now. It would be nice if the mystery polish in this box was not a leftover clearance polish. 

Included:  
  • Freedom Top Coat: A protective high-gloss finish that dries in five minutes flat
  • Dry Clean Invisible Dry Shampoo: A blast of this keeps hair fresh between washes. 100% invisible with no icky residue.
  • Elixir Organic Argan Oil: A powerhouse organic moisturizer with tons of uses for face, hair, and body
  • Mystery Polish: A chic surprise for your fingers and toes

septmebermaven-fashionweeksurvivalkit-freedom_dryshampoo_arganoil.jpg

Not really seeing anything I love in the polishes and I just bought a bunch of Maybelline lippies in an Ulta order so I don't really want to try more that I may or may not like.

The GIRL ON THE GO BOX, however, looks somewhat promising for me. I picked this one but may skip by the 24th if I can't justify it. WHAT DO YOU LADIES THINK ABOUT THIS BOX? I do use the Julep top coat but I have a back up right now. It would be nice if the mystery polish in this box was not a leftover clearance polish.

Included:

• Freedom Top Coat: A protective high-gloss finish that dries in five minutes flat
  • Dry Clean Invisible Dry Shampoo: A blast of this keeps hair fresh between washes. 100% invisible with no icky residue.
  • Elixir Organic Argan Oil: A powerhouse organic moisturizer with tons of uses for face, hair, and body
  • Mystery Polish: A chic surprise for your fingers and toes
septmebermaven-fashionweeksurvivalkit-freedom_dryshampoo_arganoil.jpg
I think that box has the best value. I would get it if I wasn't on hair product overload.

Okay. So, the screw up last month was caused because of new hires. Yikes. Now, I'm kinda scared about this month.

I'm gonna cry if they get it wrong. Especially if they don't send me Ryan.

So, here's my order:

The CWaT box: Lupita/Quinn and the red lippie

And, I added on: Ryan/Mahina/Queen Anne

I really hope to God they don't *word I cannot say here* it up.

Someone just found a glitch in the Julep app that shows the mystery polish for the Girl on the Go box as Kendra it looks like:

10386358_10152648669754596_7707877773925453140_n.jpg

Darn I shouldn't have called.  At first she said I had 2 more months of boxes coming, which was awesome.  Then she said "wait hold on, I'm confused, I have to check something"  She came back and said there was a computer glitch the day I signed up and for some reason people were getting double the credits they should have.  So then she said if I take the September box I would be charged.  I told her it sucked not knowing that last month because I would have used my Jules then and she said yeah, I know, but you could get a free add-on this month but you have to pay for the box.  She apologized for all the issues and said 'it's been a rough couple of months'.  Ha ha, I totally agree.

So I just canceled.  It was a good run Julep!

Fair warning to those of you with that $18 3 month sub - don't call them unless you have too!  You SHOULD have 2 more months of boxes coming then.  Good luck :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Edit:  Just checked my account and yes I am canceled.  The box options don't show up for me anymore.  Kinda sad because I do like Julep but then again I have got SO MUCH polish now from all different brands and many untrieds to get through. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Skipped. I colors are just to close to what I have. Ana looks like almost an exact dupe to Sephora's Wham.

I guess the Google Hangout failed so Jane Park was answering comments on their FB page.  I read through a lot of them and here's a few interesting tidbits:

• New office furniture was not delivered on time so the extra CS staff can't start yet
  • August boxes were packed in OH by people completely new to Julep
  • There were about 600 wrong boxes sent in August
  • Innovative finishes are at the "top of their list" and we'll have a variety of finishes each month
  • The next 3 months will have some finishes that "has their whole office dying"
  • Improved shipping is supposed to roll out from now through October.
  • No new changes are scheduled to be added to the rewards program this year, but big changes for 2015
Those were the most interesting posts I saw from Jane.
I will say I think Jane Park is weathering the storm the best she can under the circumstances.  This does not excuse what has gone on, but she has at least

-Taken personal responsibility

-Acknowledged the problems and proven herself to be in touch with the problems and not just a total figurehead

-Personally responded to the problems in more than one way

-Been at least relatively honest about the problems

-Attempted to make it up to the impacted mavens (albeit, as we are seeing,not always successfully)

Latest posts

Back