Kloverbox Eco-friendly sub box [Spoilers]

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted about the toner on my FB page and kloverbox did respond - stating that the company and they will be responding today about this toner.

Thank you so much for the recommendations LetsGeaux and PA Anna!  I have very sensitive skin with broken capillaries round my nose and cheeks, so it sounds like the Luxe oil will be perfect, and I'm going to order the moisturizer again from JW.  Thanks for checking on the expiration date too - I'm going to wait till close to it to order as I'm using the Little Barn face oil (from my Mom's box!) now.

As far as the toner, oh boy.  Mine had floaties when I got it, so I didn't think much about it when I got Kelly's initial email about the product.  But I just went and looked at mine, and it definitely has more now than when I first received it.  Ew.  I was just thinking the other day that I wonder if it was the kind of thing that should be stored in the fridge, but I didn't see that instruction anywhere.  For what it's worth, I checked it against a bottle of fresh squeezed lemon juice (that I squeezed myself to add to tea, water, etc) in my fridge, and the floaties do look similar (a little hard to tell because my lemon juice is yellow), so I'm betting that some of the floaties are indeed lemon, but that doesn't explain why they seem to be multiplying.  My toner is in the fridge for now.

It's my first time using the mobile version. We are on our way to a quick getaway. I'll be checking for updates. I haven't heard back from Kelly which makes sense if she is talking to the vendor again.

the vendor states it is the bottles that are causing the issue (she responded on my blog's FB page)

and that they are working with kloverbox to come up with a remedy

I checked on my toner and just like everyone else's, it's loaded with moldy looking floaters.  Gross.

What does that mean? Does that mean it should had been in an amber bottle? The items are reactive against a containment in the bottle? I don't work with witch hazel or lemon oil so I don't know. I buy my oils and bottles from Mountain Rose Herbs. I'm cautious because I still have much to learn.

Kelly can send me Luxe or another Baggu instead. Unless it's something I feel I can trust such as a scrub.

What does that mean? Does that mean it should had been in an amber bottle? The items are reactive against a containment in the bottle? I don't work with witch hazel or lemon oil so I don't know. I buy my oils and bottles from Mountain Rose Herbs. I'm cautious because I still have much to learn.

Kelly can send me Luxe or another Baggu instead. Unless it's something I feel I can trust such as a scrub.
I have no idea what that means - it seems strange that a bottle would cause this type of reaction.

I would rather have a baggu or the exfoliator! 

Actually I have had this happen before and I can't believe I didn't realize it when I first saw the particles-

Many years ago I used to make my own skincare, lotions, body washes etc with a friend who sold them on her etsy store. There was a time we used a different supplier for our bottles to make smaller sample versions of the products for people to buy travel kits, and one of the products was a clear liquid cleanser. The bottle was also a clear plastic like the one Urban Oreganics used.

I think that one of the toner ingredients basically broke down some of the plastic inside the bottle and created that white filmy stuff that's floating around in there. The particles look small at first, and then expand as they soak in whatever product is inside the bottle, creating that cloudy stuff. 

It also makes sense that they've never had this issue in the past, considering they normally package this toner in glass bottles. 

I'm fine with receiving another Urban Oreganics product in the April box. I'm assuming that they used a plastic bottle for the small sized toners for Kloverbox so they wouldn't have a chance to break in shipping, and didn't expect this issue to happen considering it's most likely a defect in the plastic bottle.

Good to know though- At least I know I wasn't swabbing my face with mold the couple of times I used it. It's too bad it has to go in the trash though :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
They've been so transparent about this whole thing that I'm not even mad. I actually wouldn't even be upset if they didn't add another item in next month's box. Although I am ever so slightly bummed because it was the only thing I actually wanted to use from the whole box.

Can't have everything I guess. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I really like how it was handled. Very transparent so I'm ok with the whole thing. @@MissJexie 's explanation made it even better for me. Whatever they send us next, I'll try. I feel bad for Urban Organics because it probably is tough for a small company to have to produce another sample that is sent to that many people. It gets expensive and many times small companies don't have a giant marketing budget set aside for things like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like how it was handled. Very transparent so I'm ok with the whole thing. @@MissJexie 's explanation made it even better for me. Whatever they send us next, I'll try. I feel bad for Urban Organics because it probably is tough for a small company to have to produce another sample that is sent to that many people. It gets expensive and many times small companies don't have a giant marketing budget set aside for things like that.
I agree- I think that was a fantastic solution on their part, especially since like you said, they're a small company. I'm happy that Kloverbox handled everything so quickly- People sent them e-mails regarding it and in 24 hours they had a solution. Very impressed with that. 

I know these things happen and especially as a subscription box company, you get so many products from different brands and there's no way for the sub box to know when/how everything was made etc, unfortunately in cases like this the subscription is the one that seems to get the bad rep. Luckily for Kloverbox, handling it so professionally and swiftly seems to have made a positive impression on people from what I've seen in the comments section of the bigger blogs.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I sent an e-mail to Urban Oreganics to thank them for their professionalism during this event, and got a response from the owner this morning:

Rachel Thank you so much for your kind words. I had a heated discussion with my bottle supplier yesterday and they agreed to send me some new packaging (which I will now be sanitizing upon arrival, even though they supposedly already are) so that I can provide Kloverbox subscribers with an amazing product next month. I am also sending them some of the toners back so they can run tests for me. I have some in my studio from the same batch (but packaged in glass bottles) and they look totally normal! There are tiny bits of lemon pulp, so when Kelly asked me what the floaters could be, I let her know it was lemon. It wasn't until I saw a photo from someone a few days later that I panicked and realized OMG THAT IS NOT LEMON PULP! I appreciate you reaching out. I've been losing a lot of sleep over this. I've worked very hard to build a good reputation over the last year and hate to see it all go down the drain. - Emily

I feel really bad for her, honestly! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I can't imagine how stressful this must be. A small business working their butt off to provide product for a subscription box as a way to gain more traffic and customers, and instead it has a potential to backfire and ruin a business you've worked so hard to build. 

I hope that she only gains customers from her transparency and professionalism!

spoiler for April's box

OLD ORCHARD - No.10 Baobab & Rosehip Lotion Bar - Natural Luxury Skin Care
c8be9cc95c1313b174eec752d6e5088e.jpg

spoiler for April's box

OLD ORCHARD - No.10 Baobab & Rosehip Lotion Bar - Natural Luxury Skin Care
c8be9cc95c1313b174eec752d6e5088e.jpg
Loooove lotion bars!!! Glad they're sending it now rather than in the middle of the summer LOL 

I'm crossing my fingers as hard as I can that there are some lifestyle/home etc items this month, though!

Latest posts

Back