May 2013 Ipsy bag!!! (Spoilers)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been incredibly happy with Ipsy, but I think whether people are happy with it tends to be dependent on 1) not minding drugstore-type products, and 2) not already owning a huge make-up collection, since the colors they send out are very tame (neutrals or classic colors) and better for building a collection, rather than trying out new crazy colors.  I like to give all brands a chance, since I feel like you never know when the cheap brands will make something amazing (in fact, the Nyx pigment they sent out a while ago might have been one of my favorite items, and only retails for a couple bucks).  By the same token, I prefer to sample higher-end brands before buying, because I'm so over paying tons of money to find out that something is just crappy (ahem... Benefit!).  I feel like the sampling that Ipsy has is pretty good on that front.  Plus, I never feel disappointed to find unusably tiny samples from Ipsy like I did with Birchbox, or feel ripped off - it always feels like a decent value. I also couldn't care less about the actual bags, and would rather not get them since I'm running out of ways to use them! I'd prefer they put the $ towards make-up... but since the bags are probably like 3 cents apiece, I don't mind too much.  Apparently not everyone is as indifferent to the bags as I am, though :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />   I didn't realize the bags were such a draw for other people!   edit: oops this was supposed to be a reply! oh well!
omg I agree with so much of what you just wrote but especially about the makeup bags!!!! I've been subbed since the beginning so at first I would just give the bags to my little girls but now at this point even they are sick of them!!

Originally Posted by Jane725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been incredibly happy with Ipsy, but I think whether people are happy with it tends to be dependent on 1) not minding drugstore-type products, and 2) not already owning a huge make-up collection, since the colors they send out are very tame (neutrals or classic colors) and better for building a collection, rather than trying out new crazy colors.  I like to give all brands a chance, since I feel like you never know when the cheap brands will make something amazing (in fact, the Nyx pigment they sent out a while ago might have been one of my favorite items, and only retails for a couple bucks).  By the same token, I prefer to sample higher-end brands before buying, because I'm so over paying tons of money to find out that something is just crappy (ahem... Benefit!).  I feel like the sampling that Ipsy has is pretty good on that front.  Plus, I never feel disappointed to find unusably tiny samples from Ipsy like I did with Birchbox, or feel ripped off - it always feels like a decent value.

I also couldn't care less about the actual bags, and would rather not get them since I'm running out of ways to use them! I'd prefer they put the $ towards make-up... but since the bags are probably like 3 cents apiece, I don't mind too much.  Apparently not everyone is as indifferent to the bags as I am, though
biggrin.gif
  I didn't realize the bags were such a draw for other people!

edit: oops this was supposed to be a reply! oh well!
Just curious...what did you get from Benefit that was such a disappointment?  I just got back from Sephora and I made my first official Benefit purchase--the Hervana blush--though I do have several Benefit samples of their other products.  I have enjoyed all the samples.  I picked the Hervana, though, even though I don't have a sample of it, because I have swatched it in store many times and loved the result.  Of course swatching can sometimes be deceptive as it doesn't always translate to the face as you thought it would.  I'm just glad that with Sephora I can take it back if it turns out to be less than I expected.

Originally Posted by mermuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am at the point where I'm up to my ears in samples and I also have to purge because I'm moving to a smaller place.  I am afraid Ipsy is going to get the boot at least for a few months while I sort through and reorganize.

Unless of course, they come up with something really compelling which is why I'm here to stay up to date on the previews so I can back out.  I haven't been paying attention to when they generally charge; does anyone know offhand?

Side note:  I really loved last month's bag.  It seems the most durable out of the last few and I like the colors and the different fabrics even though it's a bit small.
They charge on the 1st of each month. Downside, they don't post all of the previews for the upcoming bag 'til after you're charged for that month's bag.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jane725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not only is the lottery aspect annoying, but sometimes you won't even get what you're supposed to receive.  Every other month I'd be missing a sample, or get empty sample tubes.  Eventually, after I got terrible boxes for 6 months in a row, I saw on their site that I was supposed to get a full-size lipgloss, which I was REALLY excited about... only to get sent the wrong box with predictably terrible samples of foil packets and shower gel (how many people out there are so picky about shower gels that they constantly need to sample a new one every month?!).  I can take some disappointment, but not after being told to get my hopes up so high! 
blink.gif
  There's a lot to like about BB, but for someone who doesn't have cash to waste, the emotional roller coaster isn't worth it imo.

That really sucks! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Definitely agree that the emotional roller coaster's not worth it, even with the good things about Birchbox. I considered subbing for a while, but after seeing the number of foil packets and perfume samples (which you can get for free), among other problems from lots of people (missing items or whatnot, like in your case), I decided against it. Perfume in particular, I hate getting random ones since I'm EXTREMELY picky with perfume.

Originally Posted by Heather Hicks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just curious...what did you get from Benefit that was such a disappointment?  I just got back from Sephora and I made my first official Benefit purchase--the Hervana blush--though I do have several Benefit samples of their other products.  I have enjoyed all the samples.  I picked the Hervana, though, even though I don't have a sample of it, because I have swatched it in store many times and loved the result.  Of course swatching can sometimes be deceptive as it doesn't always translate to the face as you thought it would.  I'm just glad that with Sephora I can take it back if it turns out to be less than I expected.
I don't think I've had a good experience with any of their products, honestly.  I've tried an eyeliner, and it smudged terribly.  I bought Posietint, which is the most insanely drying thing that has ever been put on my lips and has them peeling within 20 minutes flat - layering with balms or glosses doesn't help.  Works okay as a blush if I mix it with water to prevent it from immediately staining my face with dots where I first put it on.  I've tried both BADgal and They're Real mascaras - BADgal was clumpy, while They're Real smears all over the place, and is somehow really hard to get off at the same time, even with makeup remover!  Meaning if I put on mascara in the morning, there's still residue from the previous day which makes the lashes clump together, and it's just a mess.  I do
heart.gif
the wand, though - I may try to wash it off and use it with my preferred Lancome Hypnose Star.

Hmm, what else...  I tried the new-ish foundation (called oxygen something?)... it actually was a really nice color match and good coverage, and I thought it would be my HG, but it broke me out immediately. 

A couple products I've tried from them have been ok, but still not stand-outs.  Obviously, YMMV, but my own experiences have been less than stellar - I definitely am skeptical of their products now and wouldn't buy anything without sampling first.

I don't think I've had a good experience with any of their products, honestly.  I've tried an eyeliner, and it smudged terribly.  I bought Posietint, which is the most insanely drying thing that has ever been put on my lips and has them peeling within 20 minutes flat - layering with balms or glosses doesn't help.  Works okay as a blush if I mix it with water to prevent it from immediately staining my face with dots where I first put it on.  I've tried both BADgal and They're Real mascaras - BADgal was clumpy, while They're Real smears all over the place, and is somehow really hard to get off at the same time, even with makeup remover!  Meaning if I put on mascara in the morning, there's still residue from the previous day which makes the lashes clump together, and it's just a mess.  I do
heart.gif
the wand, though - I may try to wash it off and use it with my preferred Lancome Hypnose Star.

Hmm, what else...  I tried the new-ish foundation (called oxygen something?)... it actually was a really nice color match and good coverage, and I thought it would be my HG, but it broke me out immediately. 

A couple products I've tried from them have been ok, but still not stand-outs.  Obviously, YMMV, but my own experiences have been less than stellar - I definitely am skeptical of their products now and wouldn't buy anything without sampling first.
Wow, that is weiiiiird. I've had nothing but good results with Benefit products. :/ The BADgal mascara works wonderfully for me! Never get any clumps. I guess all beauty products work different for everyone!

Nearly all of my HG products are benefit, lol. Minus the Urban Decay Naked Skin foundation. :3 I still like Some Kind of Gorgeous and Hello Flawless Powder most when I'm in a rush.

This is my very first Ipsy bag! I was subscribed to Birchbox for over a year but I heard this service was a little more beauty related, as opposed to constantly getting perfume samples and hair ties... Hopefully the switch will be worth it!

As far as a wishlist, I'm just hoping I get some bright, summery colors. It's about that time to really summer-ize my routine again :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Since everyone is talking bout the pros and cons of birch box was wondering what everyone's opinion of beauty army is? I've heard good things and was thinking of subbing ..

I don't think I've had a good experience with any of their products, honestly.  I've tried an eyeliner, and it smudged terribly.  I bought Posietint, which is the most insanely drying thing that has ever been put on my lips and has them peeling within 20 minutes flat - layering with balms or glosses doesn't help.  Works okay as a blush if I mix it with water to prevent it from immediately staining my face with dots where I first put it on.  I've tried both BADgal and They're Real mascaras - BADgal was clumpy, while They're Real smears all over the place, and is somehow really hard to get off at the same time, even with makeup remover!  Meaning if I put on mascara in the morning, there's still residue from the previous day which makes the lashes clump together, and it's just a mess.  I do :heart: the wand, though - I may try to wash it off and use it with my preferred Lancome Hypnose Star. Hmm, what else...  I tried the new-ish foundation (called oxygen something?)... it actually was a really nice color match and good coverage, and I thought it would be my HG, but it broke me out immediately.  A couple products I've tried from them have been ok, but still not stand-outs.  Obviously, YMMV, but my own experiences have been less than stellar - I definitely am skeptical of their products now and wouldn't buy anything without sampling first.
I'm not impressed with Benefit products either. The products I did like were easily replaced by other brands that I found were far superior (It cosmetics, the Balm, etc.).

Originally Posted by filmgeek22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since everyone is talking bout the pros and cons of birch box was wondering what everyone's opinion of beauty army is? I've heard good things and was thinking of subbing ..
They have some nice items, but they add so few items every month that you run out of things you want very quickly. The good news is that you can skip months, but sometimes it takes 3+ skips to even see anything new you want. 

Originally Posted by sinatraskitten /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not impressed with Benefit products either. The products I did like were easily replaced by other brands that I found were far superior (It cosmetics, the Balm, etc.).
Agreed.  Cute names, cute products, good ideas, great packaging, but always a fail for me. Nars has been go to for years.  

Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I want a sneak peek NOW!!!!!
Me toooo! I've been checking their facebook for days, and now they're saying that they'll release sneak peeks only at the beginning of the month.  I would have sworn that in previous months, we pretty much knew the entire contents even before the 1st of the month, right? They're killing me, I hope this doesn't mean a disappointing bag. 

I've been checking constantly, hoping for some coral blush or lip stain this month.

Me too!!!!! I am ready to sign up again the moment I see one product I'm interested in trying... come on sneak peeks! 
popcorn.gif

I know me too. I was hoping there would be one available when I got home from work, but no such luck. Maybe tomorrow.

Quote: Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Me toooo! I've been checking their facebook for days, and now they're saying that they'll release sneak peeks only at the beginning of the month.  I would have sworn that in previous months, we pretty much knew the entire contents even before the 1st of the month, right? They're killing me, I hope this doesn't mean a disappointing bag. 

I've been checking constantly, hoping for some coral blush or lip stain this month.

Only the past few months has it been all before the 1st.  That is because they posted pictures on the website early but had not made it official, but the MUT girls know how to be sneeky sleuths and found them.  Most of the time the sneak peeks will start at the beginning of the month ore a few days early.

Same here! Can't wait for spoilers and hope the first one comes out soon! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I could be wrong, but from what I've noticed, we don't know the whole contents until after the 1st of the month. Be nice to have anything coral related since I definitely lack it and would like to try it.

Latest posts

Back