May 2013 Ipsy bag!!! (Spoilers)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by bchgurl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This will be my first month with Ipsy! I am excited to get my very first Ipsy box! For the most part are all of you happy with this box of products that have come through?
Yes, definitely! There have been a few things that I haven't liked, but they are also things that I was at least excited to try, so that to me makes it worth it! I've found a lot of products that I really like, and will or have repurchased. More so than Birchbox I think. There have also been a few things that I've gotten that I wasn't necessarily thrilled about at first, or was sure wouldn't work for me, but I've been pleasantly surprised by. I've been subbed to BB, Sample Society (still am with that), Beauty Army, and Ipsy, and Ipsy is the only one that I haven't at all considered canceling since I began my sub in October. I think it's a lot of fun and I've gotten a lot of great, usable items from them. 

This will be my first month with Ipsy! I am excited to get my very first Ipsy box! For the most part are all of you happy with this box of products that have come through?
Overall I am happy with Ipsy, some months are better than others but its the same with any sub. For the most part I have used most of the products I have received.

I'm subbed, or have been at some point, to almost all the beauty subscriptions, and I can say this is one of the only ones I'm consistently satisfied with (the other being both versions of New Beauty's Test Tube). Hope you'll love it, too!

I don't usually like the products, but I do like the bags.  I have yet to purchase anything I've received from Ipsy.  I only subscribe for the bags.  Since I'd pay at least $10 for most of the bags alone, I think it's a pretty good deal.

Originally Posted by audiophilekate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by bchgurl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't usually like the products, but I do like the bags.  I have yet to purchase anything I've received from Ipsy.  I only subscribe for the bags.  Since I'd pay at least $10 for most of the bags alone, I think it's a pretty good deal.

LOL that's hilarious.  I was drawn to Ipsy myself because of the bags!  Which ones are your favorite so far?  I loved December and April.

Me too!  Came for the makeup, stayed for the bags... my makeup stash has never been so organized!

Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL that's hilarious.  I was drawn to Ipsy myself because of the bags!  Which ones are your favorite so far?  I loved December and April.
October and March, so far.  I was fortunate enough to receive another October bag in a trade.  I was waiting for a new debit card in late November and didn't receive the December bag.  I haven't looked it up, so I don't know what it even looks like.  I think I should check it out.

I've been incredibly happy with Ipsy, but I think whether people are happy with it tends to be dependent on 1) not minding drugstore-type products, and 2) not already owning a huge make-up collection, since the colors they send out are very tame (neutrals or classic colors) and better for building a collection, rather than trying out new crazy colors.  I like to give all brands a chance, since I feel like you never know when the cheap brands will make something amazing (in fact, the Nyx pigment they sent out a while ago might have been one of my favorite items, and only retails for a couple bucks).  By the same token, I prefer to sample higher-end brands before buying, because I'm so over paying tons of money to find out that something is just crappy (ahem... Benefit!).  I feel like the sampling that Ipsy has is pretty good on that front.  Plus, I never feel disappointed to find unusably tiny samples from Ipsy like I did with Birchbox, or feel ripped off - it always feels like a decent value.

I also couldn't care less about the actual bags, and would rather not get them since I'm running out of ways to use them! I'd prefer they put the $ towards make-up... but since the bags are probably like 3 cents apiece, I don't mind too much.  Apparently not everyone is as indifferent to the bags as I am, though
biggrin.gif
  I didn't realize the bags were such a draw for other people!

edit: oops this was supposed to be a reply! oh well!

Quote: Originally Posted by nishino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

October and March, so far.  I was fortunate enough to receive another October bag in a trade.  I was waiting for a new debit card in late November and didn't receive the December bag.  I haven't looked it up, so I don't know what it even looks like.  I think I should check it out.

ohh it was a pretty dove gray satin with pink lining!  it's so pretty i'm afraid to just throw it in my bag for fear of scratching it.

here's a photo from a random blog "dulllikeglitter" taht came up in a google search:

ohh it was a pretty dove gray satin with pink lining!  it's so pretty i'm afraid to just throw it in my bag for fear of scratching it.

here's a photo from a random blog "dulllikeglitter" taht came up in a google search:

OMG I NEED this!  

Stupid question - how do you quote more than one reply like that?  I've been on here since January and still haven't figured it out.  >_<

OMG I NEED this!  

Stupid question - how do you quote more than one reply like that?  I've been on here since January and still haven't figured it out.  >_<
Hit the "multi" button (to the left of quote) on as many posts as you want.  On the final one, hit "quote".  So if you want to quote three things, the sequence would be "multi, multi, quote".  The system will set them up in the reply field with a space in between each for your responses

Hope this helped!  
wink.gif

Hit the "multi" button (to the left of quote) on as many posts as you want.  On the final one, hit "quote".  So if you want to quote three things, the sequence would be "multi, multi, quote".  The system will set them up in the reply field with a space in between each for your responses Hope this helped!  
wink.gif
I think she was referring to the quote within a quote. I would like to know as well.

Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by audiophilekate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OMG I NEED this!  

Hit the "multi" button (to the left of quote) on as many posts as you want.  On the final one, hit "quote".  So if you want to quote three things, the sequence would be "multi, multi, quote".  The system will set them up in the reply field with a space in between each for your responses

Hope this helped!  
wink.gif

oh my gosh, i had no idea what that "multi" button was for!  learn something new every day! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@audiophilekate -- I just stumbled across it yesterday actually... if you go to your profile and "account details", then scroll down to the "site preferences" area you'll see a checkbox (checked) labelled "Remove Nested Quotes in Replies".  I unchecked the box, so now I can just use the normal quote button on any post, and quotes within the quote will be quoted :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

edited for accuracy

oh my gosh, i had no idea what that "multi" button was for!  learn something new every day! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@audiophilekate -- I just stumbled across it yesterday actually... if you go to your profile and "account details", then scroll down to the "site preferences" area you'll see a checkbox (checked) labelled "Remove Nested Quotes in Replies".  I unchecked the box, so now I can just use the normal quote button on any post, and quotes within the quote will be quoted :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

edited for accuracy
Ooooh!  Thank you!  *scampers off to her profile*

Originally Posted by ttanner2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think she was referring to the quote within a quote. I would like to know as well.
Oops!  Next time I need to read more carefully!

edited for accuracy
Yay!  You are awesome!  (And thank goodness my answer helped someone!)

Originally Posted by Jane725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been incredibly happy with Ipsy, but I think whether people are happy with it tends to be dependent on 1) not minding drugstore-type products, and 2) not already owning a huge make-up collection, since the colors they send out are very tame (neutrals or classic colors) and better for building a collection, rather than trying out new crazy colors.  I like to give all brands a chance, since I feel like you never know when the cheap brands will make something amazing (in fact, the Nyx pigment they sent out a while ago might have been one of my favorite items, and only retails for a couple bucks).  By the same token, I prefer to sample higher-end brands before buying, because I'm so over paying tons of money to find out that something is just crappy (ahem... Benefit!).  I feel like the sampling that Ipsy has is pretty good on that front.  Plus, I never feel disappointed to find unusably tiny samples from Ipsy like I did with Birchbox, or feel ripped off - it always feels like a decent value.

I also couldn't care less about the actual bags, and would rather not get them since I'm running out of ways to use them! I'd prefer they put the $ towards make-up... but since the bags are probably like 3 cents apiece, I don't mind too much.  Apparently not everyone is as indifferent to the bags as I am, though
biggrin.gif

this is embarrassing but i actually have a whole laundry basket full of makeup bags!  
help.gif
  I know it's wrong to feed my addiction but they're just so adorable!  Only a few of them so far are from Ipsy...

I like your comments above too.  It makes a lot of sense.  Unlike most people, I started off with high-end brands from Sephora (got started on makeup late in life) and have just very recently discovered that drugstore brands have good stuff too.  So I sort of like that Ipsy lets us sample less expensive stuff, especially if it's a brand I'm not familiar with AND is good quality.  The NYX in the December bag was my first ever introduction to that brand and I'm now obsessed!  If I wasn't going through this whole drugstore exploration phase right now, I probably would stick to something like Starlooks or Wantable.

I've been subbed since November and been pleased with what I've gotten overall. I don't have a huge makeup collection at all since I don't wear makeup daily, so I'm happy to try out samples before purchasing. All of the samples are decent sizes so you can get a good feel for the product and see if you'd wanna re-purchase it. I wish there was a lil more high end stuff since I don't wanna shell out money for the full size and find out later I hate it, but it's not a deal breaker, since just because a product's cheap, doesn't mean it's bad quality.

Personally if I hated everything I got except the bags, I would cancel since the bags themselves aren't worth $10. But, whatever floats your boat. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> With that said, I do like the fact we get bags since they're quite useful for storing things, especially for travel and organizing my purse. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Jane725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

biggrin.gif

Yeah, when I was trying to figure out which beauty sub to try, I noticed that Birchbox is like the lottery since you have no idea if you'll get a great, okay, or crappy box. That, and a lot of their samples are foil packets... which I HATE. I mean, can you really figure out if you truly like a product if you only get one or two uses out of it? >.<

Also agree with sampling high end products before buying them, since I'd hate to waste my money on something I ended up hating. It'd be nice if there were some more high end products, but sadly it's not always possible to try out a high end product without diving in to get the full size of it. That or the company isn't willing to give out decent sized samples.

Though I like the bags and it's unique since no other sub does that, I wouldn't be heartbroken if they were to change it to boxes. Somehow I haven't run out of uses yet, though least these take up less space than boxes would. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by pengutango /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, when I was trying to figure out which beauty sub to try, I noticed that Birchbox is like the lottery since you have no idea if you'll get a great, okay, or crappy box. That, and a lot of their samples are foil packets... which I HATE. I mean, can you really figure out if you truly like a product if you only get one or two uses out of it? >.<
Not only is the lottery aspect annoying, but sometimes you won't even get what you're supposed to receive.  Every other month I'd be missing a sample, or get empty sample tubes.  Eventually, after I got terrible boxes for 6 months in a row, I saw on their site that I was supposed to get a full-size lipgloss, which I was REALLY excited about... only to get sent the wrong box with predictably terrible samples of foil packets and shower gel (how many people out there are so picky about shower gels that they constantly need to sample a new one every month?!).  I can take some disappointment, but not after being told to get my hopes up so high!
blink.gif
  There's a lot to like about BB, but for someone who doesn't have cash to waste, the emotional roller coaster isn't worth it imo.

I am at the point where I'm up to my ears in samples and I also have to purge because I'm moving to a smaller place.  I am afraid Ipsy is going to get the boot at least for a few months while I sort through and reorganize.

Unless of course, they come up with something really compelling which is why I'm here to stay up to date on the previews so I can back out.  I haven't been paying attention to when they generally charge; does anyone know offhand?

Side note:  I really loved last month's bag.  It seems the most durable out of the last few and I like the colors and the different fabrics even though it's a bit small.

Latest posts

Back