Nail Art & Stamping

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second the nailiques recommendation I have been using the formula 2 for months under my nail polish and i love it my nails have never boon the long or strong with very little chipping or pealing. I don't get hang nails any more either so my cuticles are looking good too.  I actually had to shape my nails for the first time in my life a couple of weeks ago. 

Before:

After:

Been a busy week healthwise for me ... I am so far behind on here, I may never catch up! But I was pleasantly surprises to see my email from Butter LONDON this morning ... check it out ...

Some traditional nail art for Halloween (sorry for not cleaning up first)  - I call it "When Julep's Casper Meets Bondi's Horny Mistress"

And by the way - this is the FIRST time I have EVER had on a red polish!

Some traditional nail art for Halloween (sorry for not cleaning up first)  - I call it "When Julep's Casper Meets Bondi's Horny Mistress" And by the way - this is the FIRST time I have EVER had on a red polish!
That looks very nice. I hope you are feeling better, or at least have gotten some answers, [@]angismith[/@]. I haven't seen you around on the boards for a few days.

@angismith  That looks great, is funny I had done the same many a few days ago just forgot to post it here, so here are my halloween manis for the last week and a half :

This mani was my pride and joy of this week, the camera doesn't do justice to how cute it was! and I made it last over 4 day! I finally took it off yesterday to celebrate October being gone lol

This was very easy with a proper dotting tool so I was happy just wish I had a better red for it and next time ill try to make the dripping blood more random. But over all I was happy with it.

This are the ghosts I had mentioned on my last post, I was not pleased cause they just looked silly but my son loved them so I endured this mani for 2 full days! 

I'm enjoying reading and catching up here. I too rip up wedge sponges and then use the pieces multiple times. And I add water to my liquid soap and put it in a foaming dispenser. Frugal is good!

I noticed someone asking about uses for tape (striping tape):

1) You can use it to block nail polish from being on a part of the nail when you apply a coat of a different colour (leaving negative space of the base colour of your mani when you remove the tape after - shown in several manis in this thread), but you can also

2) use it to create stripe features on the nail, where the tape stays. You can do that by carefully measuring or trimming the tape (after), sticking it on the nail, and improving the lasting power by applying clear topcoat over the taped features. This is where it will make a difference what colour tape you have, and you can actually make use of the colours of the holo tapes from China.

I used black tape in this mani for the ladybug 'wing division', as it was easier than taping both sides to create a really straight line with black polish:

@Monika1 thank you, that was me :) I knew you sould use it for creating designs with removing it after applying the polish, I need to try that sometime. I was wondering if anyone incorporated the actual tape in their designs as you mentioned it.

For sponging, another good way is to use eyeshadow sponge brushes.  You get more control but it won't work for ombre designs.

Here is a recent stamping design of mine. @Sunflowercake suggested I pop it in here too. It went from this:

To this:

The key learning point here is: it isn't perfect, but it was still fun, and was fun to wear despite a few smudges and shifts. Stamping doesn't always work out perfectly, but it's good not to be too hard on yourself. I do that too often as it is! And we can't learn if we don't try and don't practise with nail art, and most things. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last week I was in Big Lots and I came across some nail art pens by Crayola.  I had seen their polish in Walmart but never really gave any thought to it.  I grabbed the white and pink each for $1.00 and didn't give them a second thought until I was cleaning up my office and I spotted them in a shopping bag on my floor.  I have used other pens too that pretty much leaked all over and I wasn't thinking that these would be very nice.  OMG I was wrong!  They are awesome!  I am planning on doing some art with them soon so I can show you guys but I did them on a test nail and was very pleased.  Supposedly they are pretty expensive normally so I will have to grab a bunch more if they are still there.  I didn't see any other colors but I have a feeling I will be using them a lot.

An interesting thing I haven't experienced before:

I painted white onto the green nail with hearts here

and got this:

The yellow tone wicked through the white to create a glowy-looking yellow. So if you're ever bored, paint white over your existing mani and see what happens! Obviously it didn't happen with the yellow or coral, where I did the same.

The SPLORT: The new unofficial term for the polish that exudes from the inner layers between base coat and top coat of a nail belonging to a would-be nail artist who is impatient in painting and attempting to stamp her nails with an image. The splort occurs when the layers of polish under a quick-dry top-coat are not dry and the nail owner places undue pressure on the nail with the stamper. This results in a characteristic messy liquid glob of polish on the side of the cuticle, a distorted image, and a nail where it is advisable to start again with the base coat step. It may be accompanied by the expression of select expletives.

Tips to avoid: Wait longer! Allow layers of a mani to dry before attempting nail art. Do not press super hard with the stamper.

Exercise: Identify the nail in which a splort occurred. This nail owner, being so impatient as to have caused a splort, was also too impatient to redo the nail. This is generally inadvisable if the mani will be worn or displayed in public.

Quote: Originally Posted by Monika1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  The SPLORT: The new unofficial term for the polish that exudes from the inner layers between base coat and top coat of a nail belonging to a would-be nail artist who is impatient in painting and attempting to stamp her nails with an image. The splort occurs when the layers of polish under a quick-dry top-coat are not dry and the nail owner places undue pressure on the nail with the stamper. This results in a characteristic messy liquid glob of polish on the side of the cuticle, a distorted image, and a nail where it is advisable to start again with the base coat step. It may be accompanied by the expression of select expletives.

Tips to avoid: Wait longer! Allow layers of a mani to dry before attempting nail art. Do not press super hard with the stamper.

Exercise: Identify the nail in which a splort occurred. This nail owner, being so impatient as to have caused a splort, was also too impatient to redo the nail. This is generally inadvisable if the mani will be worn or displayed in public.

LOL!!!  I love the term!!!  I hate splorts!

Quote: Originally Posted by Monika1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Splort or not...fabulous mani!

Quote: Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  LOL!!!  I love the term!!!  I hate splorts!
It feels like the right term. I had fun defining it! Oh, so am I not the only one who ends up doing this a bit too frequently?? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Splort or not...fabulous mani!
Thank-you Maria!

Bamboo nail art design with Zoya Shawn nail polish, stamped with China Glaze Devotion. Konad plate m86. Forgive the horrendous cuticles - I lack patience (and skills).
So gorgeous... I love that green! That may need to go on my wish list.

Anyone done any nail art lately? I am waiting for my nailis to grow just a bit more and probably this weekend I will do some stamping.

I saw 2 newer stamping sets from Mash and Winstonia that I am dying for!!!!  I haven't done as much stamping lately as I would have liked.  I always forget to put them in here instead of the regular nail polish you are wearing right now thread.

I like stamping with accent nails, this silver polish is really good for stamping too!

edit: no blog links, please -kawaiimeows

Back